Newcastle Player – I Try To Improve All The Time

Jonas Gutierrez has achieved the seemingly impossible when after having to go through chemotherapy treatment and beaten testicular cancer he has returned to the Newcastle first team, and he got a hero’s welcome at St. James’ Park on Wednesday night in the 1-0 loss to Manchester United.

jonas gutieerrez manu rt

Jonas in action on Wednesday night

You could have wished to return against a more famous side like the Red Devils and that’s exactly what Jonas did and it made him a real hero back in his home town of Buenos Aries.

This is what Gutierrez has told the Shields Gazette today:

“For me, since I knew I had to go through chemotherapy, I was just thinking day by day,” “What I wanted was to be healthy and finish the treatment – that was what I was thinking.”

“I finished the treatment, and I wanted to see if I could play again.” “You never know how the body is going to react.” “In the first months it was hard.”

“The body has to get used to training again every day. I was improving a bit every day.”  “Now I feel strong and healthy and I am so pleased to play.”

“I want to wait to get more opportunities on the pitch.” “It was a special moment to be back,”  “That was something that I have been fighting for since I was told I was in recovery.”

“I wanted to be back. It was really good. I enjoyed the atmosphere – it was emotional. I’m never going to forget this day.”

“The first few minutes, you can’t breathe properly. The game is a different speed.” “The first few minutes are the hardest, then you are used to the game.”

“It’s normal to find it hard in the first few minutes. I made a good tackle, and then I started to enjoy it.” “I tried to start dribbling again with the ball and the things that I like to do.”

“I feel better, and I try to improve all the time.”

With Papiss Cisse likely to miss the next seven games through injury we need Jonas’ experience on either wing to set up chances for the strikers we have left to play – Ayoze Perez, Manu Riviere and young Adam Armstrong.

jonas gutierrez man united 987

Great action shot of number 18 Gutierrez

And it puts Ayoze right back in the spotlight, and though it’s asking a lot of the young Spaniard he could top off a great first season for Newcastle by adding to the five Premier League goals he already has for Newcastle this season.

In any case it’s a great human story that Jonas has given us this season, and he reminds us of  the things that are  important in life,  and that as you get close to death – it seems to give you more life.

It would be great to have Jonas playing well and regularly for Newcastle for the rest of the season.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• mindshaft

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:57 AM

He looked better than Raylor at Right back and could easily replace Obertan on the wing – probably shows how weak our squad is than how good a player Jonas is

• lochinvar

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:59 AM

Carver to Rangers would solve so much for so many

• geordie157

Mar 6, 2015 at 9:14 AM

I’d actually start him in the next game, Obertan may at a push be useful off the bench.

Can we also try and give Satka some games at centre back. Guess we best be safe first but would be good to give a few players a run of games so we have a better idea of whether they could step up or not.

Roberts maybe young and will make poor decisions but again he’d offer more than Obertan.

• one fine day

Mar 6, 2015 at 9:17 AM

Lochinvar,
    Been thinking that for a while . If he took stone with him there’s no messy contract pay off and clears the way hopefully for remi guard to bring in his own team maybe keep Beardsley as we certainly need someone working with the younger strikers

• one fine day

Mar 6, 2015 at 9:19 AM

If anything I’d like to see jonas and Taylor offered coaching roles as both seem like lads who set the right example to young kids coming through

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Mar 6, 2015 at 9:23 AM

Lochinvar
    The linesmen came from Kent and Northamptonshire.
    But Peter Kirkup has a wee bit of history with us Pardew shoved him in a game against the Spuds in 2012.
    And
    got sent home from the Euros for making dodgy decisions.

Any way the papers with Scoles,Savage et al are having a field day mauling Cisse yet saying Evans is ‘nice boy’ and would not spit at anyone.

F**in stinks if he spat then guilty – noi more said

• bringbackemre

Mar 6, 2015 at 9:31 AM

I’d like to see them offered coaching roles again, even though with Ashley we arnt really a football club.

He should be used in bits and pieces for the rest of the season, I think obertan has potential and is taleneted plus he gives us a counter attacking threat, but if where against sides were we have lots of the ball I wouldnt mind seeing jonas used a a thid midlfielder aswell as on the wing and left back. Right now I think it could be his best role for squezzing out games. Doesnt have the pace but still makes some contribution in dribbling and tackling when he can read the situation

• jimiley

Mar 6, 2015 at 11:06 AM

A doctor for Mr Sissoko please! He reckons Riviere will score 15 goals this season. I would be amazed with one.

• dannitoon

Mar 6, 2015 at 3:39 PM

With the greatest of respect as I like both players but honestly Jonas n raylor looked well off the pace.. championship at best…. A goal was always coming from down our left.. neither should be in the starting XI or 1st choice as subs..

• bringbackemre

Mar 6, 2015 at 5:48 PM

DanniToon

No it was not, little happend on that left side and the goal was a complete fluke that was well covered. Neither was involved with Rooney getting through and he was still dispossed so clean that Abeid made the call to turn rooney in the box before passing to the goalie, small individual errors by abeid and krul, maybe gouffrn could have done better earlier nothing to do with taylor or jonas