Newcastle Have Talked To A Number Of Candidates Already


There has been a lot of different interpretations made on what the Newcastle Board said at last Monday night’s Fan Forum meeting about how Newcastle would be appointing a new head coach.

lee charley mike ashley

The top two men at Newcastle United

They did say they are not going to do anything about it until the end of the season, and maybe that’s because a number of candidates only want to discuss it at the end of the season, but it could also mean they will give John Carver every chance to get the job, and we know Mike Ashley likes to promote from within.

That’s how Lee Charnley got the job of Managing Director a year ago,  after Joe Kinnear had left the club.

This is the statement Newcastle made at the latest Fan Forum meeting about their pursuit of a head coach:

The board stated that it will not consider the matter again until the end of the season.” The board went through a lengthy process in terms of speaking to a number of people about coming to the club as a potential head coach.”

“The outcome of that process was that the board felt the best option was for John Carver to be appointed to the position until the end of the season, at which point it will be reviewed.”

“In the event the board should need to look for an external candidate in the summer for the position of Head Coach, the board would not have to start the process all over again due to the level of detail and work which went into the initial search.”

That statement “In the event the board should need to look for an external candidate” suggests that it’s John  Carver’s job to lose, but notice the Board in that first paragraph say they have already spoken to a number of candidates for the job.

And Lee Charnley has also said that significant due diligence on potential targets has already been completed in January.

It makes sense to wait until the summer,  and we know several candidates said they were not available until the summer and those include Remi Garde, Thomas Tuchel and Frank de Boer.

And Real Madrid assistant manager Paul Clement said yesterday that he would love to coach in England and it looks like he too will be available in the summer.

If new candidates come up before the end of the season, potentially like Paul Clement, we assume Lee Charnley will carry out due diligence on them now – so they can move quickly in the summer.

The statement above doesn’t suggest he will be doing that – but why not we don’t know – other than they already have their short-list in place.

It will be important to bring the new coach in before early July when pre-season starts, and Newcastle will go ahead with their recruitment until a new head coach is appointed.

The club will need to decide quickly at the end of the season who their number one man is – and if it’s a coach like Remi Garde, Thomas Tuchel or Frank de Boer (we hope Frank is in the list), the work will have already been done on them and it’s a case of agreeing terms and signing him up.

If John Carver gets the job we think that would not be welcomed by the fans and is another signal – as if we needed any more – that Newcastle’s ambitions don’t stretch much higher then finishing mid-table in the Premier League.

What do you think?

Comments welcome.

Note: An avid reader of the blog Andrew Foley is participating in the Great North Run for a charity named Tommy’s, which is a charity that funds medical research into the causes of premature birth, stillbirth and miscarriage.
See if you can help Andrew reach his goal of £400 by donating on his just-giving page here.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

5 comments so far

  • Ben3arfa

    Mar 9, 2015 at 8:46 AM

    Comment #1

    Indeed, they’ve spoken to Carver, Kinnear and Carver again.

    0
  • Ben3arfa

    Mar 9, 2015 at 8:52 AM

    Comment #2

    Maybe Stone and Woodman as well.

    0
  • firebug666

    Mar 9, 2015 at 8:56 AM

    Comment #3

    Remi Garde was the only one that was mentioned as being spoken too, and that was most likely because he was already in England to commentate on matches for French TV.

    Again you have to assume we have been lied to, the board have never looked beyond Carver for this job, They have held no formal interviews with anyone.

    The TV media, the written press and the NUFC fans have done more research on potential Head coaches than the so called board have.

    0
  • lesh

    Mar 9, 2015 at 9:15 AM

    Comment #4

    Ed

    The minutes don’t say they’ve spoken to a lt of candidates, they’ve spoken to a number of people…….. including the staff at Greggs, the bloke that sells the Chronicle, Bullshit Bishop, his media contacts ….. et al

    0
  • Sav

    Mar 9, 2015 at 9:44 AM

    Comment #5

    Seems to me we are totally reliant on Carr for a manager and all players. Charnley is the accountant. Is Graham Carr ready for the limelight his football decisions will throw on him?

    0

You must log in to post a comment.