Arsenal Great Praises Passionate Newcastle Fans

Patrick Vieira was a great player for Arsenal when they were at their heights under Arsene Wenger and he has today said the two most passionate supporters he has played against are at Newcastle and Liverpool.

patrick vieira -447650

Patrick Vieira today – a fantastic player for Arsenal

We’ve always thought Liverpool fans were very like Newcastle fans because although their club has had a lot more success than Newcastle, they have also been very patient when Liverpool have been less successful.

And they always support their team through thick and thin – although at Liverpool there hasn’t been too much thin – well at least compared to Newcastle.

Patrick was speaking today at the launch of a new initiative between UEFA and Western Union – and this is some of what he said:

“Liverpool’s fans were always very passionate, as were Newcastle United” “A passionate atmosphere can be very intimidating for players,  but as professionals this is part of the game and you must rise to the challenge.”

“I played with amazing players like Bergkamp, Zidane and many others! But for me the best had to be Zidane.”

Patrick was part of the Arsenal team that went through a full season unbeaten – 2003-2004 – the only time that has ever happened in the English Premier League.

Arsenal ended up with 90 points with 26 wins and 12 draws,  but Jose Mourinho’s Chelsea has the highest number of points in a 38 game PL season with 95 points in 2004-2005 – his first season in charge of Chelsea – and the most wins at 29.

He equalled that number of wins in his next season too, and in their 95 points season Chelsea lost one game when they went down 1-0 at Manchester City, who were managed by a certain Kevin Keegan at the time.

Patrick Vieira is now of course at Manchester City and manages the U21 (Reserve) side and while at Arsenal he played 372 games with 33 goals and 12 assists.

Note: An avid reader of the blog Andrew Foley is participating in the Great North Run for a charity named Tommy’s, which is a charity that funds medical research into the causes of premature birth, stillbirth and miscarriage.
See if you can help Andrew reach his goal of £400 by donating on his just-giving page here.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

Mar 11, 2015 at 3:21 PM

Our Toon
    Who did the Toon fans vote player of the month for January ?
    You’ll probably have to look it up.
    Call yersel a fan ?
    Ha Ha Ha

• Our Toon

Mar 11, 2015 at 3:33 PM

Jeff

The man who think Brazil is a club team!! I said I can count on 1 hand the amount of good games Cabella has had, can you remember any standout performances? You claimed he’s going to be a world beater, I said he struggles to beat a Full back. So he won fans player of the month in Jan, sorry but I don’t follow meaningless awards.

Remind me and the millions of NUFC fans exactly how many games were played in Jan by us? What impact did Cabella have? 1 goal!! I look more at how the team performed rather than how you n your pals voted.

I said I can count on 1 hand the amount of stand out performances and your response is he won Jan POTM award for the club not even recognised by the league, we had 5 games in January, drew 1, won 1 and lost 3….hardly reason to rejoice. You briefly read my comment and didn’t even factor in the key points of what I said. Keep believing Cabella is a world beater!! I’ll send you another map to find that club side named BRAZIL

• Nattfare

Mar 11, 2015 at 3:45 PM

Cabella has mostly been playing on the wing. I think he is too slow to play on the wing in this league. He has looked better when he’s played more in the middle or in a free role. He seem to do better when he needs to react fast in smaller spaces rather than having to think of a way how to get past a player he can’t outrun anyway.

He is one of the few players in the team who looks like he can actually create things though. We don’t have many of those around.

• Our Toon

Mar 11, 2015 at 3:54 PM

The debate isn’t whether Cabella is good for NUFC….its about comments like he’s a world beater!! Do any fans believe he is a world beater?

• scottoon

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:01 PM

More and more I see the frustration of the fans spilling into the posts on this blog. We all come here because we share a passion in common, and then we resort to name calling and pettiness at each other. It’s appalling frankly. I want to read insight and debate and instead it is keyboard warriors who somehow feel they have to denigrate others on here when those others are also fans of NUFC. I just don’t get it. Sure we are all frustrated as hell at the state of our club, but that wont be solved by playground taunts of other bloggers. And it wont be solved by potshots at Ed, who gives graciously of his time to provide this forum. He doesn’t make stuff up like the jounos, he simply compiles all of the articles and info that references the Toon so that we don’t have to surf endlessly to find it ourselves. Sure a lot is useless rumour but it doesn’t seem to matter if things are going well. But cast a pall over the club and some are ready to lynch Ed as well.

Bottom line is that the source of our angst is (or should be) Ashley and his woeful running of the operational side of our club. Credit where credit is due….the finances are great. But as has been noted on here….not much of a bragging point down the pub with the lads….top of the financial charts. We demand success on the pitch, and there is no evidence that we will see it any time soon, and ample evidence that we wont. That’s our frustration and it should not be each other.

• barkel

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:02 PM

world beater? we haven’t had one of those in a while! best of a bad lot perhaps. we have an average squad with a few perhaps above average players, when they’re in form, sadly doesn’t happen nearly often enough. If we could get the best out of our players every week I would say we could push the top 6, we’re lucky to get a good team performance one a month. Still I’ll keep supporting my team in the hope of a turn around (I don’t have a season ticket before anyone jumps on this comment and says I’m the problem)

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:03 PM

Our Toon
    Cabella will eventually be a world beater
    I still stand by that .
    Just a matter of opinion

• scottoon

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:04 PM

Rant over….on to the (rational I hope) debate about Cabella.

I just don’t see the makings of a world beater. Quality is there in good measure and he may prove to be an important piece but his decision making seems ordinary, and often less so. He has some skills but he needs to improve them and find some more because I think he is too easily found out.

• scottoon

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:13 PM

I killed the blog.

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:15 PM

scottoon
    We saw a glimpse of what he is capable of in the 1st half against Chelsea at the Bridge (when Carver told the players to express themselves).
    Hopefully with relegation pressure off there will be more . Maybe Everton away could be the start of a mini run.

• scottoon

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:18 PM

Let’s try this…..most crucial issue facing the club right now ON THE FIELD….. so no talk of Ashley. Has to be an issue regarding performances on the pitch.

For me it is a lack of leadership. Collo is not a leader. Carver is not a leader. We lack someone who will show everyone the way. We have lacked that for a long long time now.

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:19 PM

Wow Felix Magath for the new Rangers manager !!
    Apparently he is a Rangers shareholder

• beermonkey

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:23 PM

cabella has some talent bit early to tell if he is going to be world class
    our problem is our coaching and manager (head coach) are just out dated
    we haven’t got the staff that can help make a good player great
    I find it hard to judge any of our players except\( willo woebertan bad players) because we seem to lack the basics in training and until this side of things change all our players will continue to under perform

• scottoon

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:25 PM

Cabella was outstanding at Chelsea. He did show some flare that day when he was given the free reign. I just think that if he was able to reproduce that form regularly, other sides would figure him out. He doesn’t seem me to have that unpredictability that sets the truly greats apart.

• beermonkey

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:25 PM

jeff

I read felix was a share holder a while ago ed prob did an article on it not sure

has been given the job

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:32 PM

For me i’d sack of De Jong he will not suit us and can only play CAM/CF – he’s simply too slow and not mobile enough for this league in that position.

I’d much rather see Cabella in that role free roaming like at Chelsea, stuck on the wing he’s been well under par and has good vision when facing goal.

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:42 PM

A bit off topic but a good article
    Postive reinforcement for Geordies

• scottoon

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:47 PM

Geremi…..just curious as to how you can assess SDJ’s performance in this league given the fact that he has played a grand total of about 99 minutes in the league. He started against Palace early in the year and came on as a sub against Villa. The entire side was shite in those first several matches of the season. Still think the lad has quality but we may never see it given his health concerns the last few years.

• Our Toon

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:52 PM

Cabella is decent, he played very well against Chelsea for 45 mins, but it’s more important to take away his lack of performance in the 2nd half, Chelsea were caught out by out attacking intent no doubt but since that game he hasn’t lived up to his hype.

To many daft step overs instead of releasing a pass, although they are different players HBA didn’t give much defensively but was a threat as an attacking entity, he had more assists and goals, they are different players but for me Cabella has very little end product.

• Our Toon

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:55 PM

In that Chelsea game he didn’t score and didn’t get an assist.

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:11 PM

This is a link for the Chelsea game

Please note this is not the usual streaming crap
    This is an actual Azerbaijani TV channel
    No intrusive ads or garbage or software to download
    The only downside is the commentary is in Azerbaijani

• scottoon

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:11 PM

In fairness to Cabella, he wasn’t the only Toon player that failed to register a goal or an assist that day.

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:12 PM

That is the Chelsea game tonight v PSG

• scottoon

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:15 PM

Ha! Thought we had a link to some archives! Had me fooled.

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:21 PM

Yup I suddenly realised that we were rabbiting about our Chelsea game

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:22 PM

TESCO have a special on Hobgoblin
    Wor lass is the Theatre
    The Hobgoblin is kicking in early

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:24 PM

at the Theatre

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:25 PM

Hic

• Our Toon

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:25 PM

Scottie dog

Yep he wasn’t the only one that didn’t register that day but we aren’t hyping the others up though for not scoring or assisting. Instead we are judging someone because they gave JT n his pals a tough 45mins

• barkel

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:31 PM

yea we are defo missing a bit of intelligence on the field, Jonas looked the part when he came on the other day, he got stuck in straight away and you could see straight away that he was barking out orders. Personally I’d give him a year extension maybe move him more central

• BandB

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:32 PM

Who needs world class players?

Outside the top seven, this is a very, very poor league.

I am pretty sure Mr A has already spotted that is getting easier, and is likely to get easier (and cheaper) still to finish between eighth and 14th.

While we have been bemoaning JC’s two wins in six games, it has been comfortably enough to keep us bang in the middle of the form table. Eleventh in the league, 11th on form.

And while it is unlikely that Hughes, Allardyce, Pardew or Pulis have improved greatly as managers, the fact is that it is Pulis in 13th who sits lowest in the league. The merry-go-round managers are being made to look good by the dross below them.

And so I can understand why Bobby Moncur can argue that Carver is doing alright. Eight points from the last six games, despite all the injuries and suspensions.

These lessons will likely be being noted, digested and readied for application.

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:34 PM

I mean relative to our squad format and (lack of) playing style.

He’s a player very much suited to heavy possession and slow but organised build up play with regular movement in behind.

We don’t, can’t and haven’t played like that. That’s not to say I don’t think he will have an impact – I’m sure he will, just that for us, in this league we need someone more like Cabella who is agile, tricky, fast etc.

• scottoon

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:35 PM

It was great seeing our lads run the Blues ragged in the opening 45 that day, but in the end it was apparent we didn’t have enough. What made it so great though was the fact that no one anywhere gave us any chance at all. With a break in that first half we could have got something out of it.

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:40 PM

You see BandB this is where you and I differ
    You look at Ashley and see an avaricious no holds barred business man and from that conclude that mid table sufficiency is enough for him.
    I look at his track record in the shark pool of UK sports retailing and I think the guy is a winner.
    At some stage while he owns NUFC he is going to want us be top dog .
    To use one of your favourite phrases “softly softly catchee monkey ”
    Time will tell which of us is right

• BandB

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:49 PM

Jeff,

I only use the guidelines eighth to 14th because eighth is the highest position anyone (i.e. Pardew) has mentioned as being their given target for a season.
    And that the lowest position we have finished without it prompting a major policy re-think was actually below 14th.
    Therefore the parameters I have chosen are those the club has outlined in the past, rather than hunches based on my faith in Mr Ashley.

• scottoon

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:55 PM

Jeff – As I see it, the metrics for success on the pitch and in the boardroom are almost diametrically opposed. Success in sports means winning at all costs….there can only be one winner and that is the side/player/competitor who is at the top of the heap when the competing is all done.

On the other hand success in business means winning in spite of costs. You measure performance by making winners of each and every one of your shareholders. Money is what matters first and foremost, and not besting your competitors. Yes, that helps but it is not necessarily the only tactic, or indeed the right tactic, that maximizes returns for your shareholders.

Likewise, besting all competitors in sports may make the side the most profitable, but that is not necessarily true.

Ultimately the trick is to find the right balance, and for most of us Ashley is content to sacrifice sporting performance for business performance. I believe that this is his inate drive and he will not be able to find the balance….always preferring profits to trophies.

• beermonkey

Mar 11, 2015 at 6:01 PM

jeff

how long do we have to wait ?????

I think your argument for being patient would hold up better if the club had laid all the foundations for taking the club forward but they haven’t, why not ?
    the line “we cant compete” gets trotted out every window with the one we have to grow and develop our own talent in 8 years carol dummett Sammy have gone on to play regular in the prem
    again you cant make a success out of an academy over night but when cash is there and planning permission for a year and works still not even started you have to ask why?

I don’t see a plan for domination

Mar 11, 2015 at 6:01 PM

BandB
    My faith in Ashley may be totally misplaced .
    In which case I will let you know of my progress in the footsteps of St Cuthbert to Durham Cathedral in sack cloth and ashes where you can flagellate the crap out of me.

Mar 11, 2015 at 6:05 PM

It aint Felix at Rangers
    It’s Stuart McCall

• scottoon

Mar 11, 2015 at 6:08 PM

Case in point Jeff. Flagellation is a sport and not a business. Only one winner.