Newcastle Interested In Swiss International Center-Back

There’s a mention in the Chronicle today that Newcastle are interested in FC Basel’s 23 year-old center-back Fabian Schar, and that he will be a transfer target in the summer.

fabian schar  basel _3019745

Fabian Schar – Basel 23 year-old center-back

One of Newcastle’s weakest positions at the moment is center-back, with both Fabricio Coloccini and Mike Williamson in their 30s, and next season will be the last season for the Newcastle captain.

Steven Taylor’s contract also runs out next summer, and we could even see the local lad sold in the summer, and of course Steven is out currently for the season with an Achilles injury.

So it seems we need at least one center-back brought into the club in the summer in addition to Jamaal Lascelles, who will join the first team squad after his one year loan to Nottingham Forest,.

Forest goalkeeper Karl Darlow will also join the first team squad in the summer.

Schar started his career at Swiss club FC Will and moved to Basel in the summer of 2012 after representing Switzerland in the London Summer Olympics.

The 6’1″ defender made his debut for FC Will in November 2009 against FC Stade Nyonnais as a 17 year-old and played 56 games for them with 9 goals before joining Basel in July, 2012 on a three year deal.

At FC Basel he has played 102 games with 15 goals and 7 assists – so he can score some goals, and in fact he has four goals in 9 appearances for the full Swiss side having also played for several Swiss Youth sides.

FC Basel have won the Swiss Super League for the last two seasons while Schar has been with them, and in fact they have won the Super League five times running and they are currently 7 points ahead of Young Boys.

One reason Newcastle will be interested is that he becomes a free agent this summer, and Newcastle like to bring players in on the cheap.

However, there are some big clubs interested in the impressive defender and they include Arsenal, Juventus and Inter-Milan and in January this is what Schar said about all the transfer rumor speculation about him:

“I’ve read the market rumors, they’re normal at this time.” “I can say that without a doubt I think Inter are a top club, perfect. That would be an ideal destination.”

“However, I have a contract which ties me to Basel and I’m very happy here. At the moment I’m not thinking about anything else.”

All of the three big clubs interested in him seem keen on signing the 23 year-old this summer, and Juventus have already held meetings with him.

So we’re not sure why he would want to come to Newcastle, when he can join a top club in the Champions League every season and for higher wages too.

Newcastle may have scouted this player a lot this season, but there seems to us little chance we will win the race for his signature.

But sometimes miracles do happen and we’ve been wrong before.

😀

Note: An avid reader of the blog Andrew Foley is participating in the Great North Run for a charity named Tommy’s, which is a charity that funds medical research into the causes of premature birth, stillbirth and miscarriage.
See if you can help Andrew reach his goal of £400 by donating on his just-giving page here.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• sparky55

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:18 AM

ed…your 2nd last paragraph just about sums it up so why write the post in the first place then?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:18 AM

Would be a good signing, but I’m fairly certain he will be taken by a club that can offer him European football.

• Average_Contents

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:22 AM

Where does this notion come from that johnny boy deserves a fair crack? Why does he? Because he’s a geordie and loves the club? That can’t be it surely.

Because the regime appointed him and they do what’s in the clubs best interests all the time. Can’t be that either.

He definitely does not possess the required skill set to carry the club forward as testified by results since “parking in the head coaches spot”

Cheapest, easiest and most compliant option? Without a shadow of a doubt.

• count

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:43 AM

You really are taking the p¡ss out of your readers regurgitating the andre ayew story over and over again. What a load of misleading dumbed down crap on this blog. I used to frequently read your stories, as I like to support the little guy rather than support rupert murdoch et al. Unfortunately there is no difference between you and any other sensationalist tabloidesque institution.

• Harley

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:48 AM

I know Ed likes to keep putting articles up saying that the accounts are going to say 40m but that won’t be until the next accounts.
    The accounts that are to be released any day now are up to April 2014. The premier league money didn’t come in until after the season finished in May 14 so won’t show until next years accounts.
    It’ll still be easy to work out a rough estimate from these accounts as we haven’t really had a net spend so should be as straight forward as adding the premier league money.
    Unless they’ve spent tens of millions on the academy which I doubt.

• beermonkey

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:48 AM

average

I don’t think the club know how to go about appointing a new manager
    look at when palace bought pards ( still makes me smile)
    penfold has said they had no back up plan and have not entertained the fact that pards would ever leave
    this at a time when we had played relegation football for the best part of a year
    just how bad would results have to have gotten before they even started to look

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:57 AM

Harley,
    The last released set of accounts were up to the end of June, so the next set will be as well, otherwise the accounts overlap. The TV money will be in the next accounts, so we should see a profit of c.£40million.

• Harley

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:58 AM

Count

I really feel sometimes people completely miss the point of this blog.

Ed reports on any Newcastle related stories he finds across the world media. He then puts it up on his blog for everyone to to either discuss or just read about.

He isn’t a reporter who is making up quotes from club insiders, he is simply reporting on news stories he has found from other outlets. He then takes time out to add his own opinion on it and the rest is up to us whether to believe the original article or not.

I have a great suggestion for you f you say you don’t like the blog or Eds articles. Can you guess what it is?

• beermonkey

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:08 AM

well I for one cant wait till the accounts are out and I can get in the pub with my mates
    yes there teams play better football yes there higher in the league but not one of them team can beat us in the profit table and that’s what counts doesn’t it?

• Ketsbaia9

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:08 AM

I think we will go for these players:

Mbodji – £5m

Players out:

Williamson – £1m
    Saylor – £1.5m
    Dummett – £1m
    Obertan – £3m
    Gutierrez – £1m
    Sammy Ameobi – £2m (under 24 fee)
    Riviere – £5m
    Gouffran – £3m
    Tiote – £10m

Total Outgoings = £27.5m

Net spend = £1.5m

We will hopefully retain Marveaux and Santon for there loans. If not, we need another left back.

• Harley

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Lilongwe

Didn’t realise they were up to June. I assumed they would follow the basic financial year accounts up to April.

If you knkw this for a fact then I believe you.

• beermonkey

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:15 AM

kets

we wont get anything for Jonas he is out of contract in the summer
    and raylor
    and the club don’t want santon and marveax

• Average_Contents

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:16 AM

Beermonkey

I agree. It’s not just the manager’s position they are clueless at as testified by the numerous shockingly bsd appointments that have happened under the slugs tenure and unless they have a previous association with the slug, it’s highly unlikely they’ve even been heard of or approached for any role within the club. Cheap and nasty.

Harley

What Lil said.

• Average_Contents

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:23 AM

I think all if not the majority of clubs financials run from june to june. Makes it easier for player transactions and cut off dates I believe. Read that somewhere a while ago.

I remember the club saying something along the lines of that they view transfer spend not by window to window ie not in isolation but from January till the end of the summer window. Make of that what you will.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:23 AM

Harley,
    No, they don’t follow the standard financial year. I presume that is so it runs in accordance with the season, rather than standard financial practices.

Beer,
    I know, I can’t wait to head down the bar and see all the Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal fans and proudly announce our balance sheet results. I can already picture the jealousy and hate our success will bring.

• Average_Contents

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:26 AM

Beermonkey/lil

Are yous going to get it framed. I am. Can’t wait.

• beermonkey

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Lilongwe

look at the money man u have coming in sponsorship deals worth 100s of millions and the spend it all on the quest for silverware foolish I say

if we ever win cup I hope we melt it down and weigh it in for scrap just to boost the bottom line

• beermonkey

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:34 AM

average

I have been thinking of decorating the hall way and instead of a framed signed shirt from a player I was thinking I could frame the last 3 years accounts charting the rise from a few mill to the magic of 50mill
    in the last I could place a motion sensor and it could play a little fan fair as we walk past each time I hear I can imagine the pride I will feel

• jayphoto

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Schar looks great! Really done well in their champions league games against tough teams! Swiss have some great players coming through!
    Worth a look is the former Basel centreback Dragovic too! He’s over at Dynamo Kiev! Hes a bit mad, but a beast and would be a cult hero if we signed him.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:45 AM

AC/Beer,
    I’ve already taken down the photos of the family to make space. Who needs family when your club has a positive balance sheet.

• jayphoto

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:48 AM

@ Kets, suprisingly they are pretty realistic targets for you! Think your player values might be off tho.
    Konoplyanka will go to somewhere with wages far higher than ours! Possibly Russia? specially if hes on a free he’ll want alot!
    Lyon will want over £12 for grenier he’s improved this year!
    Pretty sure the lad from the belgian league we wouldn’t offer more than 6m for mitrovic and 3m for Mbodj.
    Not sure Gourcuff would suit england. Hes a great technical talent but likes a lot of time on the ball. Can see him ending up somewhere like Monaco if hes leaving Lyon!

• jayphoto

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:49 AM

On an awful note! I had a nightmare last night that John Carver was made manager of my studio…. woke up just as he was giving me a disciplinary! ha! Hate this club sometimes, it’s like a poison than consumes you

• Ketsbaia9

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:53 AM

Grenier’s been injured for most of the season. It’s Lacazette who’s improved this season.

• jayphoto

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:17 AM

apologies Kets, you’re right i’m mixing him up with Nabil Fekir!

• jayphoto

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:23 AM

On another note Nabil Fekir looks like the real deal this year. He’s been at least as good as Lacazette! I’d offer a sizeable amount for him. He’s french Algerian like Abeid. Having one hell of a breakthrough season

• Average_Contents

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:26 AM

GFFN are confirming it now. We hear this sort of thing all the time so believe what you will. I personally can’t see it and even if it’s true and we’ve offered said 4 year contract, the likelihood of him coming here must be remote with other clubs interested.

• Lindisfarne

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:28 AM

Rather than a list of excuses why JC should be allowed to continue I would prefer to know the list of abilities that he has against the person that they delayed the decision for. Charnley said (along the lines) an appointment would be delayed until summer because the circumstances would be better. A conclusion that could only be reached if there was a candidate willing to take on the role, but was himself under contract (or assistant) and unavailable at the time.

• Average_Contents

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:31 AM

Lindisfarne

He’s cheap. That’s it.

• mindshaft

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:31 AM

Can’t see Awey coming to toon if others are interested, we certainly won’t pay him the most in signing on fee or wages and he definitely won’t be coming to NUFC to win things

• count

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:37 AM

Harley, can you see that Ed deliberatlely misleads people with his headlines and takes every opportunity to sensationalise? What I’m saying is that if he didn’t try to mug us all off I would click on a lot more of his posts. Which could only benefit him.

You telling me that I don’t have to read it is hardly a revelation to me or of any benefit to Ed. In fact it just proves my point.

• Jeff from Benwell

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:37 AM

Dr Harrison
    How does it feel to be the proud owner of a
    sensationalist tabloidesque institution

• Lindisfarne

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:39 AM

[[shakes head]]

• Lindisfarne

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:55 AM

SHOW ME THE MONEY?!!!!

History shows that the present owner of NUFC would rather not spend money unnecessarily and as a consequence the club has become financially stable, whilst also lowering costs and business revenues. The profit generated by a business is usually used to reinvest, pay off debt, reward accomplishment and pay a dividend. Once the accounts are released, how will the Club be encouraged to justify the ratio by which these four issues are addressed?

• Sav

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Why must you spoil it with “One reason Newcastle will be interested is that he becomes a free agent this summer, and Newcastle like to bring players in on the cheap.”?

We are the new bin-dippers.

• jayphoto

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:09 PM

Ayew coming will depend on what he’s offered by other clubs. I imagine he’ll have his eyes on Arsenal. If he dreams of playing for Arsenal or Chelsea he won’t sign for spurs.
    Newcastle wins if no english top 4 club comes in and Charnley/Ashley agree to sell him in a year or 2 for a certain amount ie: 15m.
    We are a good introduction to the premier league for him, a spring board for 2 seasons maybe before megabucks chelsea or arsenal take him.
    In france especially we have a good record of catapulting players into big clubs on big contracts ie: Demba Ba, Debuchy, Cabaye and most likely Sissoko soon.
    If newcastle agree to sell him to a top 4 club for a certain amount, he’ll play every game here, I can see us getting him.
    He won’t come to win stuff, he’ll come to earn a massive move that might not be on the table right now. Puts us a head of spurs as they are notoriously difficult sellers and like i said playing for spurs would rule out future arsenal and chelsea moves.
    Can’t imagine anyone joining us without assurances on who the manager will be though

• jayphoto

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:11 PM

we’ve also got an excellent record of getting our players called up internationally! Debuchy, Cabaye, Sissoko, Remy all won back and cemented their places in the french squad while at Newcastle.

• Lindisfarne

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:12 PM

My experience of carveries is generally that they look richly appetising but are often unsubstantial and tasteless.

• beermonkey

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:20 PM

jayphoto

you make a couple of good points as to why we are a good fit for him as a player but how many players and there agents are forward thinking and planning

• cyprus

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:22 PM

AC@3,
    I’ll cast at least a shadow to that doubt, beyond the cheapo solution. Imagine that you’ve worked loyally at an organisation for say 20 years. Finally, you get a shot at management and your big boss bypasses you, without giving you a chance. How would you feel?

Don’t get me wrong. I think he won’t cut it, but if he wins the next ten games and has us playing like Southampton (!), then as far as I’m concerned, the job’s yours mate JC. Oh you’re a Geordie… good but would not have mattered.

• jayphoto

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:38 PM

@beermonkey – all depends on how good his agent is I think. I know Yanga-Mbiwa had the chance to go to Bayern and chose newcastle but think that was hugely down to wages and playing time.
    Andre seems a sensible guy though focused on his career rather than money. His dad is Abedi Pele so he’s not exactly come from the dirt and he put the hard work in on loans early in his career. Speaks German though so could easily go to the bundesliga but I reckon he’ll be drawn to the premier league.
    Devout muslim too, quiet kind of guy, our current personnel might help with that as we have many muslim players – Haidara, Cisse, Abeid, Tiote aswell as demba ba in the past. Thing the club tries hard to create a dressing room and club atmosphere that suits this too.