Injury Update From John Carver – Two Players Return

John Carver gave a mini-update on the injury situation today before the game at Everton on Sunday afternoon.

Massadio Haidara Oldham+Athletic+v+Newcastle+iEi_HymUVzJl

Massadio Haidara – still not ready

John rightly said in his press conference today that the pressure in this game will be on Everton,  who are only 6 points above the drop zone, in spite of doing well in the Europa League this season and being the last English side left in the competition.

Massadio Haidara was carried off in the second half of our 1-0 home loss to Manchester United nine days ago, and the young Frenchman is still not fit enough to play on Sunday.

This is some of that John Carver said today:

“Massadio Haidara had an injection in his knee and it hasn’t settled down so he won’t be fit for the weekend.”   “Remy Cabella and Rob Elliot are back in the squad following injury. They are raring to go.”

It’s good that goalkeeper Rob Elliot will be back on the bench and maybe that’s why Newcastle have today allowed Jak Alnwick to go on loan to Bradford City for the rest of the season.

Jak’s contract at Newcastle runs out at the end of June and it will not be renewed so he will be looking for another club.

It’s very good that Remy Cabella is back, and we even expect Remy to start for Newcastle on Sunday –  probably in place of Gabby Obertan on Sunday.

We expect Ryan Taylor to continue at left back, and one advantage Ryan brings to the team, as well as being an experienced player,  is that the 30 year-old is great from set plays and free kicks just outside the penalty box.

Carver could also prefer Remy Cabella because of his ability to score goals, and we have to have some players step up to the plate to get the goals, while Papiss Cisse is out for a long seven games through suspension.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Everton?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

What do you think?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Jeff from Benwell

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:53 PM

Charlie in the Gallowgate

At first I thought yeah what a good idea shades of Venables and the England team.
    Then I realised Iron Mike v Romelu Lukaku
    Not a good idea

• Lindisfarne

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:00 PM

Jeff IMO the opposite is true. It was in the frightful Everton game when Willaimson came on at half time and subdued Lukaku. Collocinni was not able to compete with him physically and Mbiwa was completely lost.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:18 PM

Jeff
    I’ve got no problem with Williamson but we have no-one else in central defence – Williamson has done well of late subdued Benteke and Rooney to some extend and as Lindisfarne wrote – did a good job on Lukaku last year.

I think the team formation I picked would be a good counter attacking team
    Lets just go for it – got nowt to lose – give us some excitement if possible

• geordie157

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:25 PM

would like to see us try a diamond formation.

Krul
    Janmaat, Wilo, Colo, Raylor
    Abeid
    Sissoko, Colback
    Cabella
    Rivere, Perez

Would give Riviere a run of games alongside Perez, the two could form a good partnership and both can run the channels, making space for Cabella, Sissoko and Colback to move into in the centre.

• Charlietoon

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:42 PM

geordie157 – Think I’d start the same team but maybe with 442 line up.

We can only hope that he brings Remy and Jack straight back in, sadly I think Carver might start Obertan and he was incredibly frustrating at against MU. His first touch was awful and he gave up possession so many times and got so many boos that as a team they simply stopped passing it to him. Despite this Carver takes off three players who are being passed the ball and leaves Gabby on. Gouffron looks to be going for the Ben Arfa player for laziest off the ball, I don’t think I’ve never seen a player walk so much.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:56 PM

charlietoon – I noticed that as well in the Man U game that Obertron was available on several occasions, without tight markers yet he wasn’t given the ball.
    Really suggests that his team mates know he is going to lose it straight away -I know it’s not Obertrons fault as he’s probably trying his best but quite frankly he’s not up to PL standard.

• BeeGuy

Mar 13, 2015 at 5:09 PM

The guy that kept Fellani & Rooney in check most of the night was Abeid. And, he made himself available for a pass, unlike Colbeck. Lukaku is more than a handful, and to stop him you cannot try to outmuscle him as those dolts from Kiev did last night.

• Jeff from Benwell

Mar 13, 2015 at 5:31 PM

I’m thinking this game has draw written all over it.
    Going to watch it in a comfy chair .
    Could be banging the zeds out after half an hour.

• Ian Toon

Mar 13, 2015 at 5:40 PM

Martínez has certainly changed their method of play. Watching their FA cup game against West Ham there was a notable shift from possession principles to Everton going more direct towards
    Lukaku.
    I understand their second half play last night was more determined but
    they have looked very much a relegation side over recent Pl games. Can’t see why we should not come away with at least a point.

• 1949BH PROUDTOBEAGEORDIE

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:15 PM

bee guy at 7 colback was suspended

• Jeff from Benwell

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:21 PM

1949BH PROUDTOBEAGEORDIE
    I realized that too
    But I think it was a comment on Colback in general

• Lindisfarne

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:34 PM

If we doesn’t play 442 and attempts to have a go, I would play 4-3-1-2 with the full backs making width and a minimum of two holding midfielders providing defensive cover at all times. This gives the two forwards the opportunity to exploit the space on the flanks and still have two staggered in the middle. Plus play can be dictated from midfield with through balls being played up the flanks to either full back or strikers.

—–Sammy——-Perez
    ————-Cabella
    Sissoko—Abeid—Raylor
    Colback–Collo–Willo–Janmaat
    —————-Krul

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:58 PM

Anyone seen that? Palace being taken over by Wall Street consortium.

We will never find a buyer at our price, and I don’t think I can handle Pardew’s smug attitude if he gets some money behind him.

• Ian Toon

Mar 13, 2015 at 7:10 PM

I am unashamedly a Jack Colback fan and believe he is underrated. He
    has a good engine and is a real grafter with good positional sense and no fear to get involve when the going gets tough.

He is not the eye catching type of midfielder with the power runs of Sissoko, but he is a better passer though without the range of a Cabaye.
    For me young Jack has a very bright future at the Toon and possibly
    England. I see him as a steady disciplined influence and a good counterbalance to Abeid which calls time for me on Tiote.

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Mar 13, 2015 at 7:23 PM

I like Colback as well, I would have liked to see him play alongside Cabaye.

The only issue is he’s secondary CM, he needs a very good player alongside him to see the best of him, needs that complimentary player who he can feed and support.

I don’t think we need such a rigid CDM I think Colback could do that job whilst simultaneously providing some good shape, passing and a goal threat. That alongside someone of Cabaye’s Ilk would improve our midfield hugely.