Captain Let The Side Down – Where’s The Apology?

Newcastle have let their squad be diminished by injury and suspension – especially in defense – and now we  have only Mike Williamson as an experienced central defender who is available to play, after Fabricio Coloccini let the club down by stupidly being sent off on Sunday afternoon at Everton.

fab coloccini sent off at everton

Fab Coloccini receiving the red card on Saturday

The only experienced player who can play there is Daryl Janmaat,  although he explains he’s never played there before but at 6’1″ he should be able to get the job done.

But Newcastle could be tested by in-form Arsenal and Liverpool sides in two of the next three games – and we could well be taken to the cleaners.

Sandwiched in between that is the game at the Stadium of Light, and a defeat there will further enrage fans – Newcastle fans that is.

We will be taken to the cleaners if Newcastle put in another insipid performance like the one at Goodison Park – it was a disgrace.

This is what Daryl has said about playing center-back:

“I will play in the middle of the defense if I am asked to do so, although it is not really my position.”

“It is not really as though I have ambitions to stay there, but we all know what the situation is at the moment. If I have to play there, I will.”

“If the team needs me there, I am confident I can do well there, even though I have not played as a central defender in the whole of my career.”

“The second half at Everton was the first time I have played there, so it is not something I know all that well.”

“I didn’t really see the incident all that well, but the feeling in the dressing room after the game seemed to be that it was a red card.”

There are many things that Mike Ashley does wrong as a football club owner, and one is not having a big enough squad, and we have to address that in the summer.

We’ve been short of a central defender and a striker all season long, and nothing was done to get new players in during the January transfer window.

The squad is small so the wage bill is kept under control, so we make huge profits- that’s on the off chance  there was any doubt on why the squad is small.

But if Mike will not spend the money available to building up our team to challenge for a top six position, what’s exactly the point?

We’ll just have to hope Daryl Janmaat can do the job, but our defense could be mauled at home to Arsenal on Saturday.

And in John Carver’s 10 league games in charge this year our goal difference has gone to -14 from -6, when Alan Pardew left after the 3-2 home win against the Toffees.

It could get a lot worse before the end of the season.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Mar 17, 2015 at 8:04 AM

Cyprus…I cannot get my head around a guy like Ashley. I just cannot figure him out – that’s what I am trying to illustrate with my posts.

If he has a target – like 10th ad we are told, then why would reward a manager for not reaching the set target? He has done it before and he looks to do it again.

What kid of businessman does that? No wonder the players are not showing up and fighting for the course!

• sing in the corner

Mar 17, 2015 at 8:05 AM

I’m not usually one to single out individual players when the collective group are at fault, but I’ve been thinking about and scanning Colo’s performances over the last year and I’m quite frankly fed up with him now. Maybe toonbrother has been right for some time, even if he’s gone about it like a bull with OCD in a china shop.
    He’s a captain with no communication or leadership skills. He clearly wants to be somewhere else, he’s 34 early next year and seeing out a very generous contract. Add that to the long haul trips to South America after mysterious injuries,when he’s needed here. He seems to have lost the ability to read the game, can’t get off the ground to head the ball.,,Its the club’s fault too though.. Colo is not the only one who has zero incentive to play well in the form of competition for places given our threadbare squad.
    Time to bring the young ones through once, or if, we are safe fro the drop. Willo and Colo need to be put out to grass.

• catchy in norway

Mar 17, 2015 at 8:07 AM

I didn’t think it was a sending off

• firebug666

Mar 17, 2015 at 8:15 AM

catchy

It was a sending off, more for the intent that the actual foul. it was minimal contact on the player, but Coloccini dived in with both feet off the ground and that’s the intent.

His stupidity has now left us with Williamson leading the back line……Oh Joy!

• nut meg

Mar 17, 2015 at 8:28 AM

@ 2
    Apologies for not knowing who you are but I keep losing some of the text & the names of the posters for some reason.
    A few posters on here,myself included have been saying for the past couple of season now the same as you.The centre backs are a huge part of the problem,slow ,indecisive,caught out of position & weak in the air etc. That makes us very vulnerable straight down the centre of the pitch & teams are targeting the CBs with balls played over the top.I’m ready to put my foot through the TV most games but I just couldn’t afford a new telly each week. Priority’s are new CBs & CF, then other positions as they were at least two seasons ago.

• Roger

Mar 17, 2015 at 9:43 AM

Next game Arsenal 0 to 5, than Sunderland 0 to 1,
    than Liverpool 0 to 5, Tottenham 1 to 3
    Swansea 1 to 1 Leicester 0 to 1
    West Brom 1 to 0 QPR 0 to 3 and final West Ham
    0 to 4
    3 points for the last games and goodby Premier
    League

• leonado_keng

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:51 AM

The most reason is why our players seem to be weak and play worse because of wrong policy of Ashley
    If he supports team with some money and suitable manager, I trust team will have reserve enough to change game and more balance than existing condition
    I believe the end of this season Mike Ashley will losr money as much as it will happen again, because whoever is thinking specific money is God. If you want increasing benefit, generally risk should be further too and Mike is taking high risk because you don’t have risk mitigation plan either.
    Mike must be so disappointed because you think many mistakes and he will get lesson-learn

• magpiefifer

Mar 17, 2015 at 5:02 PM

The stupidity of Coloccini is only surpassed by NUFC appealing against the red card – it just shows the mentality and ignorance of those ‘running’ our once proud club!!!