Why Some Newcastle Players May Want Out This Summer

We’ve been surprised that captain Fabricio Coloccini has not spoken to the press after he stupidly got himself  sent off at the debacle at Everton last weekend, when we were beaten 3-0 by a side that have struggled in the Premier League this season – and that was the Toffee’s biggest league win of the season.

Fabricio Coloccini final whislte Chelsea 2-1

Fabricio Coloccini – last season at Newcastle

Fab enters his last season at Newcastle next season, but Mick Quinn in the Chronicle thinks he may move on this summer.

“Does Fabricio Coloccini want to be at Newcastle United any more?”  “It’s an accusation, and a strong one at that, I could put to more than a few players after Sunday’s frankly embarrassing performance at Goodison Park.”

“I am beginning to get the feeling that there are a few who know their time is coming to an end at Newcastle, the skipper being one of them.”

“Maybe they don’t want to play for John Carver. Perhaps they have a move lined up. Maybe some are realistic enough to know that they aren’t good enough.”

It works both ways and some of our better players may be looking to leave in the summer, and the two most likely are two of our best players – Moussa Sissoko and Daryl Janmaat.

Newcastle could make big profits on both players, so if the right bids come in they will be sold.

Coloccini has his family in Buenos Aries, but we still think he will want to see out the last year of his contract,  but we also don’t put it past Newcastle to sell him for what they can get this summer, rather than losing him for nothing next year.

Maybe Alan Pardew would be willing to take him to Crystal Palace for a small fee, although his wages could be a problem for the small London club.

There are two other negatives that could have some of our better players thinking it may be a good time to move on – and one is the mess the upper management has allowed the squad to get into this season.

We sold Yohan Cabaye a year last January and that had the effect of lowering morale in the dressing room, as the players saw the squad was not that important to Mike Ashley.

And the fact that nothing was done to strengthen the side in January, in fact the opposite was true, even though we were already short of players, could cause others to think they might want to leave Newcastle.

It’s not just the fans and the journalists who have realized Newcastle have put themselves into a rather desperate situation this season – and we only hope we can get two wins in the last nine games to make us safe.

But it hardly reflects well on Newcastle’s upper management that we have limped over the finishing line in May the last couple of seasons.

The second thing is if John Carver is made the permanent head coach at the end of the season.

Not only will that make it even more difficult to attract good players to the club, because we will have an unknown coach, but some top players may see that as another sign of a (complete) lack of  ambition on Tyneside, and want to leave.

What do you think?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• sing in the corner

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:56 AM

I think most people have lost patience with this fella. Clearly his heart hasn’t been in it for a long while. Can’t wait til his contract peters out and it’d be nice to see someone in his position who’s hungry / cares more

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:57 AM

Jesper,
    I haven’t really got much to say to you anyway just didn’t want to say it while you weren’t here. I think it’s funny how you being one of the biggest instigators of  ‘inhouse’ arguments claim that there is less in my absence, especially at a time when the number of regular posters is at an all time low. Keep up the good work Jesper, advocating a boycott of a ground you’ve never been to and talking football about a game you’ve refused to watch on a dodgy stream.

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:58 AM

So at the start of the week Johnny boy was telling us how we can stun Arsenal and cause an upset

By the end of the week Carver, who apparantly is a stand in manager, and as manager has no say in players arriving or departing, has come out and said that we will be bringing in “top” players (coincides with season ticket renewal time…)
    Also says there will be a huge clear out as there are several players who are “not good enough to represent nufc”

That clear out Johnny boy f**king better well start with you or it won’t matter a toss who we bring in ffs!

• geordie157

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:00 AM

Krul
    Janmaat, satka, wilo, Jonas
    Raylor, colback, sissoko
    Cabella, Perez, riviere

Subs
    Elliot, sterry, Anita, obertan, sammy, gouffran, armstrong

• geordie157

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:02 AM

We should really be offloading Colo, Taylor and Williamson in the summer. But then we’d need to buy four new centre backs.

• The next Mike Williamson

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:06 AM

I’m more bothered about who we sell than who we buy.

If we sell the following players I would celebrate as much as I would if we bought Messi.

Gouffran (2m) Obertan (1m) Williamson (1m) Collo (free) Riviere (2m) Anita (2m)

• Lindisfarne

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:06 AM

If Sissoko is played in a midfield pair we will get thrashed, we need a midfield three. Wenger should look to exploit the wings with pace but he may well think his superior team should win their own way. So I am not keen on the idea of two over 30s as fullbacks.

I am surprised Gutierrez has not been mentioned as a central defender as he has the strength and is used to using his body to get between an opposition player and the ball. Ryan Taylor could make a very good and experienced partnership with Janmaat on the right (like a latter day Beckham) and Obertan is a non entity at the moment. Not that Gouffran and Riviere are much better, but it may be too early to start Perez. As one of the most productive midfielders A lot is said about Colback not being moved away from the midfield, plus he left his previous club because he was used at fullback, but I think he is more professional and the most ready made player for the LB position.

—–Riviere————Perez
    —————Cabella
    Sammy——Sissoko——R.Taylor
    Colback-Gutierrez-Willo-Janmaat
    ——————Krul

• optimistic prime

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:07 AM

Beer

That stinks.

• Ibizatoon

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:07 AM

Morning all,

Last night tunred in to a bit of a mess. Not really sure what to say this morning.

My hope is that we don’t lose any posters, certainly not posters who I do view as important to the blog. Those with strong opinions who aren’t afraid to voice them.

Some know how to contact me already, I hope they do.

As for the result today, I find myself not caring too much. I expect nothing, but will get a kick if we manage some sort of result. It just seems secondary at the moment. Any excitement is replaced with a feeling of “what now”.

Whether you think Ashley has a plan or not, he is directly responsible for most of the current bad feeling amongst the fans. That in itself should be reason enough for most fans to have an issue with him.

Divide and conquer only serves one party. Let’s not throw the towel in quite yet.

Anyway, enjoy your day folks, back to the grind for me (and no, that’s not code for “heading to the beach” – although the sun is out today and a nice cold beer does sound good…)

HWTF (Fans, for anyone wondering).

• Reyantoon

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:08 AM

Welcome back Jail fa.How ‘ve u been ?

• Lindisfarne

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:08 AM

out for the day – don’t go expecting too much from the match!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:10 AM

Beer…that really didn’t come as a surprise

Jail…nice of you to greet us with your presence!

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:19 AM

Ibiza
    Was there some form of blog orgy that went horribly wrong?

• Ibizatoon

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:21 AM

Tads…Can you tell me a time when a blog orgy has gone well? 🙂

I think it’s a case of frustration taking over. You know how this place can be.

Which brings us to Jesper and Jail, come on guys, what is it your actually arguing about, all I can see now are little digs towards each other. Let it go.

Anyway, as soon as this water delivery is over…I am gone for the day 🙂

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:26 AM

Ibiza
    The blog now is a bit like the toon under Ash and Carver….

• BandB

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:45 AM

Ibiza,

Unlike Tsunki, I didn’t say I was deleting my account.

But I am going to take a back seat (ya Mama’s yakking in the back seat…..:) )

Yes, frustration with the club has played a role in frayed tempers on the blog.
    I am not that frustrated though, as I am not surprised. Things are happening exactly as I predicted they would.

I was hacked off to see Tsunki’s back finally being broken by poisonous sniping that attempts to contribute nothing, and the general equivocal attitude of the blog towards it.

The blog word for standing up to these people is “bitching”.

It tells me all I need to know.

Next year the squad will be a first 11, a reserve keeper, an all-purpose reserve defender, an all-purpose reserve midfielder, one reserve player who can fill the three advanced midfield positions, and a reserve striker. The rest will be kids. The Forest lads will be first teamers, as we’ve paid “fortunes” for them.

It’s what they’ve been heading for since Llambias first mentioned purples.

Maybe we can shoot the breeze off piste.