Alan Pardew Praises Newcastle – I Miss It

We expect Alan Pardew to always talk about his four years at Newcastle as being probably the best time of his football management career, and one reason for that is because he will never manage a bigger club or a club with more passionate fans than Newcastle – and he knows that.

Stoke City v Crystal Palace - Premier League

Alan Pardew – misses Newcastle

But it seems that he just got fed up with the way Mike Ashley ran the club, when he kept selling our best players and not being quick to replace them – it became almost impossible to build a good team.

Alan will always talk well of Newcastle, and he did just that yesterday on Goals on Sunday, but he was at Newcastle four years not five:

“You’re going to get difficult years as a manager, and you have to see them through.” “I had five years there, and people come up to me and say ‘you must be so pleased you’re away from Newcastle’, but I actually miss Newcastle.”

“The support is such, that it’s intense. They want their team to win.” “If I was to be critical of my management there, I didn’t win the derbies and didn’t do well enough in the cups, and unfortunately they’re emotive games for Newcastle fans.”

“It’s a real regret of my management there, but I’m proud of everything else I achieved, and I sincerely hope in the summer they have a good window, buy well, and get that place rocking like it was in that second half against Arsenal.

“The transfer window really hurt us when we lost Yohan Cabaye and Loic Remy got injured, and that’s when our problems started.” “It is difficult to try and stay with those top clubs when you haven’t got the investment.”

“We got so close – probably closer than Southampton are this year. We were two or three games away from the Champions League.” “The funds at Newcastle are way, way below Liverpool and Spurs, and those are the teams the fans expect to compete with.”

It’s a strange thing, but given Alan really had only one good season at Newcastle when we finished 5th top in 2012, he left the club with a higher profile than he had when he came in – and people outside Newcastle think he did well at the club – given the constraints put on him by the owner.

That doesn’t reflect well on Mike Ashley, but the thing we’ll remember Alan for is the big wins he had against the big clubs, when he somehow got the lads playing well against teams like Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City and most of all Chelsea.

This season we broke Chelsea’s winning streak in early December and before that we had beaten Manchester City 2-0 at the Etihad Stadium in the League Cup with a patched up side that included a number of youngsters and fringe players, and we somehow came back to beat Tottenham 2-1 at White Hart Lane.

He also was the instigator of the greatest comeback in Premier League history, when we came back and drew 4-4 with Arsenal after being 4-0 down after 26 minutes and being booed of the field at half time.

Alan had only been at the club just over a couple of months, but he’s right, losing four games in a row for the first time ever to Sunderland was not good, and we lost far too many 3rd round games in the FA Cup against lower league opposition.

Most of all we were impressed with Alan’s tremendous mental strength – and he was tested a lot while at Newcastle – and being manager of Palace must feel like a cakewalk for him in comparison.

At least Alan is being honest – but he was at Newcastle for only four years and one month.

😀

With Palace planning a big summer transfer window it’s going to be interesting next season to see how the two clubs perform in the Premier League.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• optimistic prime

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:49 PM

We had problems long before Cabaye left or Remi got injured.

• welshgeordie9

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:53 PM

Don’t worry pardew we still love you.

• wolfshead@toon

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:55 PM

it wasnt just the football/results the animosity was ratcheted up to the max when he was exposed as a liar and a fully complicit member of the ashley regime

• hibbit

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:58 PM

op we did…… but when you don’t have cover for important players it’s always going make the problems bigger

• jayphoto

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:11 PM

Pardews problems at newcastle were no different to what he had at west ham or charlton!
    Hes a decent manager when given the tools to play his style. He only has one style though and will play it whether the players available fit it or not.
    Currently with Zaha, Bolasie he has the jet heeled wingers to counter attack quickly. Palace thanks to pulis have a tight unit at the back too. Hes walked into a ready made team of his dreams. No short technical frenchies either

• optimistic prime

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:12 PM

Hibbit

I do agree but a coach with a set style of play and a plan b wouldn’t have struggled as much as Percy did.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:12 PM

Still reminding us we can’t compete, cheers Alan, funny that we were better off than Spurs before Mikey turned up.

• jayphoto

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:16 PM

Wonder what kind of golden gag deal Ashley has made with Pardew? NUFC so secretive. I know prospective managers had to sign secrecy contracts before even meeting the club in january, they seem terrified of anyone outing them for what they are

• Reyantoon

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:22 PM

Jay
    No doubt Perez and Janmaat did well,particularly Perez,Perez was excellent against arsenal on sat,just unlucky not to score.If he improve his finishing touches
    he will be big player for us in short period.
    But for me,no one is important & key player than sissoko in our current squad!
    The problem of most fans is that they tend to evaluate one time or one day performance of a player or manager to label him good or bad..

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:27 PM

Jay,
    Would that not start the alarm bells ringing straight away, having to sign secrecy agreements

• cyprus

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:29 PM

Ed,
    back to your favourite manager. Cool eh?

In the comeback, he had just started at NUFC, he was just as shocked at the comeback as the rest of us. Not one player has ever given him credit for that. Credit to some leaders on the pitch in that one.

With Alan, we got to see a new brand of Newcastle: boring back foot football, being bossed by the wekest of teams, long losing streaks, clinging on to wins. That’s not what this team is about. That’s not what made us everybody’s second team.

Still, I wish him well at Palace.

• cyprus

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:35 PM

Wasn’t the secret agreement to play crap so we don’t play in Europe, and bonuses don’t have to be paid? 😉

• hibbit

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:39 PM

its not uncommon in the prem to sign such agreements

• Moonraker15

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:50 PM

Ed
    I don’t know about others but I just can’t be bothered to read anything from that inept so and so.

In the years he was here he never said anything either controversial or interesting so why would I be interested now?

He’s just full of himself cos he’s put a few wins together.

Good riddance to the one who enabled Ashley’s regime to continue; he achieved absolutely zero at Newcastle!

• scottoon

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:50 PM

I am no supporter of Pardew and am as glad as the next guy to see him leave, but I do see the bigger problem. He says it himself….
    It has never really been about the personnel we let go, it has been the complete disregard for the gaping holes they leave behind. The management tries to paper them over with rhetoric but we are all aware that if you don’t spend you don’t compete. Simple as.

Get off yer wallet FCB! Better yet, get out of our club!

• lesh

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:51 PM

The King is dead….. Long live The King

• lesh

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:53 PM

Jail for Ashley

Yup he does refer to monies available to compete with the likes of Spurs, Liverpool and others but he also alludes to our lack of effort in raining revenue from non-SD advertisers and sponsors.

I took that as a swipe at Ashley for limiting income!

• Lindisfarne

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:55 PM

Out of this lot Terence Kongolo from Feyenoord would be a good shout

• Moonraker15

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:59 PM

Scotoon

Don’t listen to the crap about staying with the top teams!

All clubs should strive to be the best they can! We didn’t do that but chased high profits instead. Now I’m in favour of profit but the money from selling players was not reinvested! Cabaye, Remy,Carol and others.

Every fan must know we could be better than we are at the moment Ffs.

• scottoon

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:18 PM

moonraker –

that’s exactly my point. Without reinvesting in the club you go backwards. Clubs need continual upgrading just to stay still.

• Novocastrian66

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:19 PM

It’s okay Pardew trying to lay off the blame regarding the lack of investment in players, however he was complicit in this by consistently stating publicly that he was happy with quality and strength of the squad.
    Not once did he say squad wasn’t good enough. He is now saying he discussed privately, the clubs weaknesses with Charnley and wanted it addressing. Why didn’t he say this while he was here?
    He also said that the clubs failings at set plays was due to the lack of set play specialists and he wanted this area strengthened and losing Cabaye was a major blow. We never scored from corners when Cabaye took them and we employed the same tactic at corners and free kicks game after game.
    The fact Crystal Palace are so succesful at set plays is because the players are well drilled, not down to the playing staff being so much better than ours. They also mix up their set plays. This as Pardew has admitted has nothing to do with him.
    Pardew is a master at rewriting history to his advantage.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:39 PM

I’m surprised more folk have not commented upon what Lee Ryder has stated in a recent article that the Toon have not interviewed/spoken to anyone about the Head Coach job. Whilst the statement is not attributed to anyone it certainly throws up doubts about Penfolds comment about dealing with 80 job applicants.
    I’ve previously said they have probably not formally interviewed anyone for the job so I’m not totally surprised about Ryders comments.
    Knowing the current regime as there has been no threat of banning or legal action demandind Ryder withdraw his comments I conclude there could be some truth in what Ryder states.

• scottoon

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:41 PM

Novo66 – sure he was complicit while he was here, but I just don’t see the point in continuing to slag him now that he is someone else’s problem. It is clear to all that we are undermanaged and have been for many years, but the bigger problem today is that the hierarchy can’t seem to understand the simple need to reinvest. Pardew and his reversionist history wont change anything for us. But a certain someone getting their ass off their wallet just might.

• scottoon

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:01 PM

Tuff – can you post a link to the article? I would not be surprised if the club has, as suggested by Penfold, reviewed 80 applicants and discounted them out of hand for whatever reason. The club may also have reached out to the usual suspects who have been speculated about, only to be rebuffed for the time being (ie Tuchel,, Galtier, De Boer) due to other commitments. Thus, there have been no “formal” interviews, just some ground grooming for the summer. Or it could well be that it is, and has been, Carver all along. God help us.

• hibbit

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:01 PM

charnley and carr have a lot answer for and get away with it very easy…….. when this is over charnley has to live in newcastle and he will never be forgiven life good be very hard

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:18 PM

Senor Tuff…I have stated the same many times!

If it’s really the case then they are really taking us for fools.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:19 PM

…the trouble is they will probably get away with it anyway

• lesh

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:37 PM

Jesper

Yup, they are taking fans for fools – and they know it.

I’m sure there are many many season ticket holders who know it to but wont admit it. They’ll probably renew their tickets and continue to complain about the usual topics. There’ll be moans about lack of serious investment and improvement in a seriously weak squad, selling best players, lack of ambition, poor management and tactics and let’s not forget, the season being over by Christmas.

They are the fans who could make a big statement to Ashley – No quality Head Coach, no squad strengthening, no ST renewal!

• toon kk

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:39 PM

I hope everyone doesn’t get there hopes up for the summer transfer window, its MA we’re talking about. Budget players with future sell on value is the regime, he’s not going to change that.
    Expect poor seasons for as long as Mash owns the club, mediocre at best.
    We’re a meaningless club which Mash is making millions out of.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:40 PM

lesh…in stead they’ll look at it as an opportunity to get better seats!

…for whenever times are improving

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:43 PM

toon kk…I am expecting a budget of £25M!

…since we need about 6-8 first teams players we are not going to get far on that budget!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:44 PM

I don’t trust this club one bit!

…even if they did spend this summer or appointed a promising HC! It will take a lot more than that.

• scottoon

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:45 PM

I have often thought of a refusal to attend matches as a type of hunger strike. For many, it just isn’t an option. We need to watch our side as much as we need food and water. It is that addicting and important. I live overseas so I don’t have the option, but we do get most matches on TV and even though it is painful, I rarely miss a match. I am sure if I lived in Newcastle, I would be at the matches as much as possible…..not because I am blind to the failings of the regime but because it is in my blood to support the playing side. They need my support far more than Ashley does, and in reality he makes far more commercial revenue, player sales revenue etc than he does match day revenue, so this would be an easy rationalization for me. I think mass public displays such as the Cockney’s Out, and a voiced discontent (picket SD?) would potentially be more effective. Ultimately I don’t have the solution, but we all know the problem is with the owner.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:47 PM

scottoon…I have often said “people” have given up far more than what we are asking!

…far more!

• beermonkey

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:48 PM

jesper

hows the young one ??

25mill I expect you to be disappointed I think we will spend what we raise through sales no more

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:50 PM

…this is down to selfishness! It’s about just not wanting to.

…if people would just admit that.

*We cannot make anyone do something they won’t. I don’t even want to make them.

We are just stating the obvious…until something gives nothing will happen.

• Moonraker15

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:51 PM

I don’t buy this crap about so called difficulty in recruiting. Make no mistake, if we are paying the going rate and give assurances about ambition and investment, then dozens of top coaches would be fighting for this job, because the potential is enormous and it seems only Ashley can’t see it!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:52 PM

Beer…Alfred is great mate 🙂

…you expect us to spend less? (unless there’s a big transfer)

I do think they know we need to spend – they just think something like £25M will cut it.

You might be right (wouldn’t surprise me one bit)

• Ibizatoon

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:59 PM

Afternoon all,

As always, I don’t really care about how much we spend, as long as we address the areas which need it. That’s where my issue is at the moment, I look across our squad (and owner / coaches) and just think there’s too much work to be done in one summer.

Still, I’m sure we’ll be “active” this summer, we have to be, let’s see if they can get it right.

John’s assured us they have. He’s seen the names on the list! I guess in previous windows they didn’t even bother to have a list then…

• scottoon

Mar 23, 2015 at 5:00 PM

jesper….your thoughts cut both ways. Fans don’t want to give up their season tickets. Maybe that would affect Ashley, but then he is clearly selfish too. Maybe he would sell up, but to me it seems doubtful. The sad reality (I believe) is that much like the playing assets, the club has a value, and unless and until that value is met, he is here regardless of how many of us are in the seats. Maybe, over a very long period of time, the club value goes down because of lower attendance, but ironically I think it will be his own inept management on the operating side that will devalue the club more than a temporary shortfall in matchday revenues. Hell, it is just bleak no matter how you look at it.