Coach Hints At Higher Newcastle Ambitions

John Carver seems to be fully behind the way Mike Ashley runs the club, and that’s one reason we are concerned that John may get the head coach job in the summer, because that means nothing will change and we will continue to struggle to make the top ten in the Premier League, as we have done with Mike Ashley as the owner over the last eight years.

john carver with finger raised

John Carver – Newcastle to become more ambitious?

We have made top ten twice and one of those was in 10th place last year, so it’s not a good record.

However, after the 2-1 defeat by Arsenal on Saturday, the interim head coach hinted Newcastle may have bigger ambitions for next season:

“With the additions and what we have here – players out of contract need to be dealt with – I think we can put out a group of players who could be competitive – and not just competitive in the top ten. Competitive!”

“I think the club will let you know when any business is done. That’s how they have always done it and it’s the right way to work. But because I’m a fan and I know the work that has been done, I also know it’s not one or two people.”

“It’s major work that has to be done and we know that. I know the type of players the fans like – and they’re the ones on the list – absolutely.”

It’s very likely that Newcastle will try to strengthen significantly in the summer, but that’s really to make up for not strengthening at all in January, and not strengthening enough last summer.

John Carver is now running with a threadbare squad.

It seems we have no chance of making the top ten and 14th looks like a likely position at the end of the season, unless we can start to win some games.

So it looks like John Carver is trying to boost the Newcastle fans ready for the summer, who seem fed up with the frugal way Billionaire Mike Ashley runs the club.

That will become really true when we’ll soon find out when the financial figures are released that we have had  big money to spend.

There again,  it could be that Mike Ashley will change he ways and start to spend some money to take Newcastle forward and challenge for top six.

We hope that happens, but the odds are against it.

What do you think?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Ron Knee

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:25 AM

Now that I’ve had a little time to recover from our amazing performance on Saturday I really hope it wasn’t just a flash in the pan. We’ve seen this phenomenon before. What we need is some sustained effort to ensure survival.

• firebug666

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:29 AM

Ron Knee

My sentiments exactly mate, one good 45 minute performance in 11 games under Carver is nothing to get too excited about.

We should have been playing like that all season, My guess is the saw the half time results, and did not want Palace to overtake us.

So now we shall see what team turns up for the derby.

• Reyantoon

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:31 AM

we will be lucky if we finish 14th ED!

• Ron Knee

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:42 AM

firebug
    A lot seems to depend on Sissoko’s mood. Like Cabaye.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:42 AM

Firebug,
    There have been a few decent half performances from us under Carver. Chelsea and Burnley first halves being 2 off the top of my head. The problem is still a maddening lack of consistency.

Is it the players who don’t have the belief in themselves to o out there and perform every game? Or is it the coach not having the belief and subsequently stifling them with poor tactics?

One thing is for certain is that we can match most sides when we play like that, even missing a number of players and having others under perform. Anita, Willo, Goofy and Colback were all pretty poor on Saturday, even in the second half, yet we still took the game to Arsenal.

• IrishGeordie9

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:47 AM

Ok, you’re a fan. We get it. No need to mention it in every single interview. It’s such a cheap card to play, the way he just finds some kind of angle to unleash that phrase really frustrates me. He may aswell after every sentence just say:

“and I’d know that, because im a fan”
    “oh, just incase you didnt already know, im a fan”
    “Please just accept me as your manager because im a fan!!!”

Honestly there is just no need.

The fact that they keep on going on about this new found “ambition” really confuses me on whether to beLieberman them or not, I have an open mind about it because I don’t want to get hopeful and then be let down which is the likelihood anyway. They surely wouldnt feed us this mucg lies for season ticket renewals? I know there bad but that would be a new low. I would expect protests if they go gainst there words.

• dannitoon

Mar 23, 2015 at 12:02 PM

Must be that time of year… season ticket renewals for the gullible sheep. .. same story for the last 7 pre season… i don’t feel let down anymore as I don’t believe the lies…. shame 45k+ do…..

• magicbus

Mar 23, 2015 at 12:36 PM

This new found `ambition` seems just a smoke screen to me to divert away from this shocking run of pointless matches and slide down the table.
    I really hope a new manager is appointed and not go for the cheapest option which would be Carver.

• magpiefifer

Mar 23, 2015 at 5:32 PM

It all has a look of the inevitable – Ashley will not change his money-spinning formula!Why would he when he is coining it in as the fans continue to flock to SJP in big numbers!?
    Carver is desperate for the permanent coaches job and will say anything to try and get it.He is attractive to Ashley as a cheap option, so the likely outcome is as you see it currently.
    How many owners would offload 7 players in a transfer window and not replace any of them – and have a coach who sees it as acceptable!/