It’s Neck And Neck For Our Man Of The Match

Remy Cabella was ahead for a lot of the time yesterday in the voting, but now Daryl Janmaat is in the lead, with both Cabella and Janmaat getting over 30% of the vote for our Man of the Match, in the game against Arsenal.

moussa sissoko scores Arsenal goal

Captain Moussa Sissoko scoring on Saturday

There were a number of excellent performances from Newcastle players on Saturday, when we almost overcame the Gunners in that inspired second half display, but couldn’t score the equalizer as Arsenal held out with their backs to the wall.

Captain for the day Moussa Sissoko had another storming game as the Newcastle captain, and scored his fourth goal of the season just after half time.

And Jonas Gutierrez again made an impressive sub appearance, and on this form he deserves an extension to his contract which runs out at the end of June, but we doubt he will get one.

And Ayoze Perez again looked what he is – a top young striker who looks like he can score at any time – and it’s small wonder some top clubs will be after him in the summer.

Perez was unlucky again on Saturday and went close a number of times.

There’s still a chance to vote if you haven’t already done so.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Arsenal?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Note: I’m going to be taking more time away from the blog in the future, and that starts this week when I’m off on a mini-vacation with one of my sons – I’ll get the articles out when and where I can – many thanks – Ed Harrison.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Reyantoon

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:20 AM

JC
    “You won’t believe the players we are going to sign.
    I think the fact we have made it public that we are going to invest – without naming any names….I have seen some of the players they are talking about and I am quite excited about them.

No need of mentioning any process.Things are going well over his head..
    Still better to keep his mouth shut!

• IrishGeordie9

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:21 AM

Ed do you do this on purpose? Arghhh!!!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:23 AM

Jail,
    I meant more in relation to them investing. They will invest, and did last summer, so when they said they would, they did. But they ignore the amount of players going out and the overall weakening of the squad. So on that it isn’t a lie, just manipulating facts to suit their point.

• IrishGeordie9

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:29 AM

Considering that john is a fan. Do you maybe think that the club are using that against him and manipulating him in that respect? Using him to portray to the fans that we are going to rebuild, getting us to dislike him. This way john is persuading the fans to buy/renew season tickets, thus helping out the club. Then, at the end of the season they will sack him and get the fans approval. A win-win situation for the club.

• optimistic prime

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:31 AM

Sissoko had another storming game?

He’s been bonk for a dozen games and IMO decided to try and impress Arsene Wenger, shame he doesn’t put that effort in week in week out.

• cyprus

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:32 AM

Irish,
    google your phone mate. It probably does have copy-paste somewhere there 🙂

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:32 AM

Irish,
    They won’t sack him. He will be here for a while yet, even if not as the manager. He still has a contract until 2020 as an assistant, I can’t see him giving it up, or the club paying him off.

While I’d be happy for him to stay at the club, I reckon this will be one of the major stumbling blocks if they were to try and appoint a new Head Coach.

• cyprus

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:33 AM

OP,
    he can’t win can he? Played to impress Wenger, put himself in the window etc.
    So unfair re our best player.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:35 AM

OP,
    He started the game well, but the second they scored he disappeared. Just when you want your captain to really step up and rally the players, his head dropped and his levels dropped.

Maybe the second half was about impressing Wenger, but he would struggle to make an Arsenal bench when all midfielders are fully fit.

• lesh

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:37 AM

Carver’s spin had it we’re aiming higher……. than 12-14th?

Wonderful, I can hear ST holders forming the queue to speculate more money……..

• optimistic prime

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:38 AM

Cyprus

Our best player? In your opinion!

He can’t pass or tackle or hold on to the ball which helps if you want to play CM.

Massively overated!

• lesh

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:41 AM

Lil,

If they wanted rid of Carver, it’s gonna cost them to do it now we’re missing out on about £8m due to not appointing a decent Interim and slipping four places to potentially 14th.

Ashley’s short-termism reaps the usual dividends!

• IrishGeordie9

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:50 AM

Lilongwe

I thought his contract was just till the end of the season? God I hate this club.

Cyprus

I know where the copy and paste is mate. It just doesnt copy it properly, it duplicates each line. So frustrating.

• IrishGeordie9

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:52 AM

Lilongwe

Just realised you said. ‘as an assistant’. Explains why I got confused for a sec.

• Reyantoon

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:58 AM

People slagging Sissoko hmmm?
    He is the most key and important player in the squad.The fact that he didn’t move and created further is because the likes of cabella and Sammy were tired and he needed someone better than Goufran to feed him proper balls.Still JC’s fault putting Goufran alongside him that makes him look like disappeared, but didn’t.
    He did had storming game with world class finish,no doubt about that!

• BandB

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:02 AM

Carver will not have signed a new temporary manager contract.

He is “acting up” under the terms of his old contract, and will return to his substantive position as assistant at the end of the season if he is not appointed head coach full time.

The stumbling block Lil refers to would be if they decided to appoint an outside candidate who wants to bring in his own team.

If Carver is then sacked, his remaining contact will have to be bought out somehow. Which adds to the expense of changing horses.

• beermonkey

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:07 AM

reyantoon

sissoko is far to inconsistent in the middle last season his stats on the wing were as good as most out of the top 5
    if he could capture the consistency in the middle he would be so important he would get the move he has said he wants
    when he is on form and driving at teams he seems to drag most of our team forward with him and its resulted in goals
    but how many performances has he had like sat since jan??

• optimistic prime

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:10 AM

Lg

A lot of our players are massively over rated by the fans who at times are unbelievably fickle.

Sissoko has been a liability for 90% of jan feb and march then he plays half decent in one game and he’s a great player. I don’t get how a dozen games not trying can be forgiven in 90 mins, was it really coincidence his best game in 3 months was against the side he wants to sign for?

I don’t see him as a team player and his play reminds me of Kieron Dyer, pace and strength but no guile skill or technique. Both flatter to deceive and actually contribute very little, for such a big man Sissoko could hide behind a blade of grass and he couldn’t tackle the skin on custard.

Reynatoon

If Sissoko was capable of world class finishes I’d expect he’d have more than 10 career goals, around 1 goal every 20 games suggests his goal was more good luck than good finishing.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:10 AM

Mnster

I won’t resort to your limited foul language rants. Suffice to say you lack any credibility as you are the most 2 faced fickle individual I have ever read.

Rightly or wrongly at least I stick to what I believe, whereas you are a total sheep and just run with the crowd and whatever is popular at the time. This time tomorrow you’ll probably change your tune again.

• beermonkey

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:11 AM

best thing to with carver is make him carrs assistant and chief bag carrier if they don’t wanna sack him

• Rotonda heights

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:14 AM

It would be very typical of us to lose out on a credible manager just because he wanted to bring his own people in. You couldn’t make it up.

Hangers on like carver, stone, watson and woodman’s pay-offs would be dwarfed by Tv money etc but ash won’t do it of course.

• Dude

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:14 AM

As an expat and non ST holder I am wondering what the timing is for renewals, etc. Does anyone know what the situation is ? How renewals are going ? We need to follow AC Milan’s shining example, but judging by the goofy faces in the crowd at 0-2 Saturday this herd of SJP sheep will be hard to move.

• optimistic prime

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:21 AM

Rotonda

How much can they be on?
    We all speculate they must be cheap as chips for the Slug to employ them, surely Pardews pay off should cover it.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:26 AM

Reyan,
    World class finish?? Setting the bar very low on things which are world class mate. It was a fairly straightforward finish, and one that had he missed or failed to really test the keeper then he would be getting abuse for.

• beermonkey

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:29 AM

dude

I think it will be hard to get the stadium empty but I would still like to try

problem is over the last 15 year football has changed its gone from a passion to a fashion, looking a the crowd on sat on my tv so many kids with dads and mums they are there it fashion
    my misses has no interest in football on the whole but she wont miss a champions league final our son was born 3 hrs before the champions league final 3 years ago and she watched that one as well
    its not just our club but all over football
    would you tell your kid he couldn’t go to the match on sat cos you dislike the owner when all his mates will be there

• Dude

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:32 AM

Beermonkey, easier for me as I live abroad. Used to get back regularly for games but now we go and have weekends in Spain or Italy seeing matches. They’re more interested in seeing Dortmund soon than coming to SJP, which is sad. Ashley’s destroyed a lot of passion and for that reason alone I see attendances slowly declining. The penny drops quicker for some than it does for others.

• lesh

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:33 AM

This sentence from the Chron, I find disturbing:

‘…United have not contacted anybody else regarding the head coach slot at this stage.’

What on earth has been going on? Can we take it Charnley’s been sitting on his butt spinning rubbish.

Ok, Carver toes the Ashley line but surely a record of nine points from 11 games (is it?) should say enough to counter his flexible acquiescence?

Well, in a properly run business it would.

• LGFUAD21

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:34 AM

Beer

Hardly a fashion mate. It’s a leisure activity and our clubs tickets are very affordable in the context of other activities.

I can empathise with any parent that would rather let their kids continue that activity than drag them into politics they may not understand and essentially rob them of a hobby.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:38 AM

Lesh,
    Over the same period last season Pardew managed just 1 point more mate. Carver has it even worse in terms of injuries and suspensions, so I’d imagine that as they weren’t overly fussed about Pardew’s shocking performance, they won’t be about Carver’s.

• beermonkey

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:41 AM

dude

I live in the south, I don’t even bother with away games now its just not worth it when you watch the football that’s dished up I haven’t been to a newcaslte match for ages last one was brighton
    if the football improves I will go back to watching away games

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:42 AM

Jeff from Benwell.
    I am not lying, I asked Lee Marshall about the 30M spent that made us the sixth highest spenders that season when the reality was it was only 19M pounds. To take into account our agents fees and wages and discount other teams accounts to climb a spending table is a bare faced lie.
    Did you travel from Afghanistan, Spain, Liverpool or Whitley Bay to attend the meeting Pinnochio.

• jayphoto

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:47 AM

Carver on janmaat saying you need 2 centrebacks who can head and thats why we let 2 in on set peices… Not being funny but it was Williamson (an alledged centreback) who was marking the goal scorer on both goals….
    What is it about Williamson that makes him immune to criticism??

• Reyantoon

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:47 AM

beer/optimistic
    The fact that sissoko did not had plenty storming games since Jan is because he was ordered to play more of defensive duties in the abscense of natural defensive midfielders like Tiote and other holding midfielders like Abeid,Anita,colb’k
    He looked inconsistent because he played with inconsistent players in the middle like Anita, Abeid & now Goufran..

Looking in to his playing style,he is more effective when played as free role or as number 10,or in the right wing mostly.Under AP,he was given free role in the middle and had some explosive games.
    where us under JC,he was playing more of defensive, that’s why looked like he had some inconsistent games,but isn’t!

• LGFUAD21

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:49 AM

Lesh

Icarus could well be flying too close to the sun this summer if they try and appoint Carver. There is virtually no case you can argue for his appointment.

A small part of me is hoping they are simply letting carver believe he is in with a shot and they’ll ditch him in the summer.

Even if he I snt in the running they club still have to let him believe he is otherwise he has no incentive to do the job. Especially if the club have realised that Garde etc will want their own back room team.

• optimistic prime

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:50 AM

Lesh

I find it more disturbing when he says either way he’ll still be here next year.

• LGFUAD21

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:51 AM

Reyan

Good point. We only have 1dm and he’s been out most of the season.

I think that is second priority after a cb in the summer. You can see the hole in our team by not having an enforcer. You need one if you aren’t going to dominate possession.

Anita could play as the deepest cm at Ajax because they play on the front foot with much possession.

We don’t and realistically can’t in this league so we need an enforcer like tiote that can play a full season.

• Jeff from Benwell

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:54 AM

Lesh
    Unlike you I’m quite encouraged by this article
    This quote fills me with hope
    “I’ll just do this job as long as I need to.”

That gives me the impression that JC is becoming reconciled to the fact that the job is beyond him .
    The best way to stop someone who is pestering you to do something is let them do it and find out the hard way it is more difficult that it looks
    JC was doing a Yossa Hughes
    “I can do dat , gissa job”

• beermonkey

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:55 AM

LGFUAD21

I think football as a whole has changed and its fashionable to be associated with it we must be down with stoke as a fashionable team to support
    look at clubs like Chelsea how many staunch old Chelsea fans get to go to Stamford bridge I don’t know any and I know a few but the ground is full of the so called prawn sarni brigade