Let’s Give Credit Where Credit Is Due

We thought with all the injuries Newcastle have had, plus the suspensions to Papiss Cisse and Fab Coloccini that we would struggle to hold Arsenal on Saturday at St. James’ Park.

Jonas Gutierrez Arsenal+GCh-raud1bLl

Jonas Gutierrez in action on Saturday – inspired

We had to again field a patched-up side through lack of players against the Gunners, and after 30 minutes when we were 2-0 down it looked like it was going to be really tough, and at half time Arsenal were well in control of the game.

But then a mini-miracle happened, and the Newcastle players in that second half seemed like men possessed,  and we played some of our best football of the season, and the lads had Arsenal struggling to win the game.

Newcastle’s fight was epitomized by a certain Jonas Gutierrez, who seemed inspired when he came on after 70 minutes, and he ran his socks off for the cause and made a great cameo appearance in a central midfield position.

John Carver talked about the spirit after the game:

“The biggest thing I said to them at half-time was ‘listen, this is what we’ve got in this room, this is what we’re dealing with, now don’t go missing, stick your chest out and be proud of the jersey and yourselves because you are professional footballers’.”

“It was very important we didn’t go gung-ho, we made sure we still had that solid shape. But we did put more pressure on them higher up the field. We won the second ball, drove at them and that was the difference.”

“It was amazing,” “We had Ryan Taylor, a natural midfielder, playing at right-back and he was left-back last week. Daryl, who is a natural right-back, was at centre-half and was outstanding. Jonas Gutierrez is an outside left and played the No.4 role.”

“Jonas was so important and I put him in there because I thought he could drive us a little bit more. He was exceptional when he came on.”

“Daryl could play where he did, but the one thing is they scored two from set plays so it’s important to have center-halves who can head the ball as well.”

“I thought Daryl did exceptionally well.”

It looks like central midfielder Mehdi Abeid will be available for the trip to Sunderland, after what will seem like a (very) long international break.

Rolando Aarons is also close to returning, but the worry we have about Aarons is with his hamstring – he’s been out almost all season with hamstring problems – so we are hoping he can make a full and complete recovery.

We’ve won only two games this year, so we must go all out to beat Sunderland a week on Sunday – a win and we would be almost safe in the Premier League and we’d also break that four game losing streak against the Black Cars, and three game losing streak in the league.

The lads were terrific in that second half on Saturday, and if we play like that against Sunderland – a win would be almost guaranteed.

Bottom line – the players deserve enormous credit for that second half display- now we have to keep playing like that in every game.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• IrishGeordie9

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:52 AM

Ermm, I know this getting out of hand but please can someone repost my comment on the previous thread. 🙂

Oh, and if it isn’t much bother could you also replace the word beLieberman with believe? Thankyou.

How beLieberman was meant to be believe I have no idea. Guess my autocorrect is messed up to.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:55 AM

IrishGeordie9 // Mar 23, 2015 at 7:47 AM

Ok, you’re a fan. We get it. No need to mention it in every single interview. It’s such a cheap card to play, the way he just finds some kind of angle to unleash that phrase really frustrates me. He may aswell after every sentence just say:

“and I’d know that, because im a fan”
    “oh, just incase you didnt already know, im a fan”
    “Please just accept me as your manager because im a fan!!!”

Honestly there is just no need.

The fact that they keep on going on about this new found “ambition” really confuses me on whether to believe* them or not, I have an open mind about it because I don’t want to get hopeful and then be let down which is the likelihood anyway. They surely wouldnt feed us this mucg lies for season ticket renewals? I know there bad but that would be a new low. I would expect protests if they go gainst there words.

• IrishGeordie9

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:58 AM

Thankyou very much kind sir…

Now watch ed start a new thread now.

• cyprus

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:58 AM

JC,
    If I may, a tip. In team sports, try to avoid singling out individual players for praise or criticism. That reduces team spirit, enhances individualism and protecting one’s corner. Let regular fans do this singling out.

Also, never say ‘this is what we’ve got in this room’, ie. ‘yes we’re crap but hell this is who we are’. Next game, try,

‘I’m proud of what I see around me in this room. I will stand by this team and each and every one of you because I know you will give everything you have to win this game.’

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:59 AM

Voila Irish.

As for believing them, I do I guess. There will be investment, of that I have no doubt, but what quality, how many of quality and who leaves are all in doubt. No point allowing people like Janmaat to go to be replaced by a run of the mill German for £1.5million. They would view that as an investment, but I’d view it as a weakening of the side.

It isn’t necessarily that they lie, it is that they stretch the point, and manipulate the ins and outs to claim that they have done as they said.

• Reyantoon

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:00 AM

All of the players did very well against arsenal. But John made mistakes playing colback and Goufran out of position.Colback looked nervous and uncomfortable at LB.Goufran should not have started at all.Instead of wasting a player,he should have put Jonas at LB and put colback at his natural position. That is the reason we didn’t get anything out of the game.Still he should have done that immediately at the start of the second half.Clueless John!
    cost us another home defeat!

• yorkymag

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:08 AM

A minor miracle!!!
    But we lost
    Come on ed
    An awful first half where we could easily have conceded 4 or 5
    Then arsenal take their foot of the gas with liverpool up next
    It sums up nufc when we are getting excited cause we only lost by 1

• IrishGeordie9

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:08 AM

Lilongwe

I agree completely. The way they cut corners for the cheaper options is criminal. I bet they wonder how were in this position, they’ve probably told themselves too many lies and now they believe them. It wouldnt bother me if we at least had a net spend of £10-20 million a season because we do have money available. Our squad is like this because of what you said, buying cheaper alternatives and letting the good ones go. Your example is perfect.

• Reyantoon

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:10 AM

“John Carver
    – You won’t believe the players we’re going to sign.It took Pardew a couple of years for Newcastle fans to doubt every word he said, it has taken John Carver only weeks to do the same.”

After short while, he will start naming their names public!

• geordie157

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:10 AM

Carver talking about the plans for summer has me in two minds, one he’s just being a puppet and helping season ticket sales or he’s genuinely excited.

Getting ayew deal done would be a good start, but they’ll need at least another five to follow of similar quality.

• Ron Knee

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:10 AM

yorky
    No. We completely outplayed them in the second half. Wenger’s face was a picture.

• hibbit

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:12 AM

lilon ….every move this lot make is a gamble that ash seems to enjoy why i don’t know… other interest he has he has to be top dog but with us he seems happy to sit there watching us flounder why i don’t know maybe it is just the money but if thats the case why go to games the money would still be rolling in

• yorkymag

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:14 AM

Ron
    I am not sure arsenal did not have another gear ,, we will never know ,I do accept second half was best for many weeks but my point is how sad that our excitement is limited to only losing by 1
    And there is no doubt either we were very lucky to only be 2 down at half time

• IrishGeordie9

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:15 AM

Yorky

I think your misunderstood. I don’t think any fan is happy ‘because we lost by one’. More because our team showed us a half full of passion, effort and desire to win the game. When was the last time you saw our team play with that much intensity and love for the game? When was the last time you heard st.james’s park rocking like that? It was great seeing what was there all along. It’s just a shame knowing what level we can play at yet the players never seem motivated enough to put that much pressure on. We lost but in a way where most fans will be happy with there teams effort. Not the result.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:18 AM

Lilo,
    They do lie. I have been lied to directly at a fans meeting regarding how much we spent in January and how it made us the top six spenders that year.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:19 AM

hibbit,
    Yeah, why attend games if your interest doesn’t lie in driving the club forward. It doesn’t make a huge amount of sense but the lack of building, and the negligence when appointing key personnel into the football side surely can only point to him being interested in the advertising for me.

The actual money side of things from the football club won’t mean much to him, he is worth far more, and as long as SD is growing so is his wealth.

Maybe he will prove us wrong this summer and demonstrate real ambition in a two fingers to those up at Rangers who have blocked his control for now. Don’t see it myself, but surely the appointment of a head coach will tell us all we need to know.

• hibbit

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:27 AM

lilon……. pigs can fly

• yorkymag

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:39 AM

Irish
    And we lost cause off a very very poor first half
    I will be with you when we start doing it for a full game
    This season Chelsea is the only one and possibly hull and city away
    SJP was great in the second half but spiteful and poison in the first

• Jeff from Benwell

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:22 AM

Jail for Ashley
    Lilo,

No they didn’t.
    I was there too.
    You’re lying

• Moonraker15

Mar 23, 2015 at 5:09 PM

Great entertainment second half – but we lost- again! !!