He Will Be Like A New Player For Newcastle

Siem De Jong has given a long interview in the Chronicle today,  and he talks about all kinds of things, including the fact he is not injury prone.

siem de jong black and white

Siem de Jong – like a new player next season

From what he says on recovering from his collapsed lung,  we shouldn’t expect to see the Dutchman coming back this season, so it’s been a terrible season for him,  in which he has only appeared three times as a substitute for his new club.

Here’s some of what Luuk has said today:

“I’m frustrated about my injuries too.” “You want to show the club and fans what you can do. I haven’t been injured much for 7 years – except for last season I played more than 50 games every season. I expected to play a lot here so I’m disappointed for the fans, the teams and most of all for myself.”

“You do read it on social media and see what people say but it doesn’t affect me too much. I have a long contract here, I have a few years to prove what I can do. The club don’t think I should rush it, I have a lot more football still to play at Newcastle.”

“The latest injury – a collapsed lung – sounds horrific but it is more frustrating than anything else.” “It can be dangerous if it collapses totally but that generally only happens when you break a rib or you’re stabbed and it collapses because of the air.”

“This is just a small hole that releases a bit of air and it collapses a little bit.” “The third X-ray was worse,  so I had to put in a drain and operate as soon as possible.”

“After the second X-ray we thought: ‘Let’s operate in the summer’ but if it’s only five millimetres you wouldn’t even normally notice it. But if you’re an elite athlete and you use your lungs, you need to have full fitness.”

“It was good that they could operate that quickly,  and start to get things better but I felt a lot worse this time after the operation than I did first time in Holland when I had the drain.”

“Now there’s a 95% chance it will never happen to me again after this surgery.” “The surgeons were happy with the operation and I hope we will start playing again soon.”

“It has been the worst season ever for me.”

While with Ajax over seven years he played 247 times with 78 goals for the Dutch masters, so he’s right when he says that last season was the only one he missed a lot of games  because of injury.

It’s almost certain we will not see him this season, but look on the bright side, he’ll be like a new player for us,  if he can get fully fit and ready to go for pre-season.

And with Fab Coloccini possibly being sold this summer,  Siem could well become the Newcastle captain, although Daryl Janmaat would also be a candidate for the position, and even Moussa Sissoko. always assuming we can keep him at the club this summer.

So Newcastle have three new players already in the summer – Siem de Jong, Jamaal Lascelles and Karl Darlow, with the last two being on loan this season at Nottingham Forest.

And with news that Newcastle are willing to pay out £60M in the summer transfer market, it could even be an exciting time for fans in the summer.

It certainly has not been an exciting time since the beginning of the year, it’s been very frustrating, as we once again struggle at the end of the season.

Note: Mark Hammell is an avid reader of the blog and he has signed up for 7 endurance events totaling over 600 miles, after he has just recovered from a serious ACL injury.

Mark is doing this to raise money for the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation. Here is Mark’s Justgiving page – see if you can help him out and help Bobby’s Foundation.

You can follow us on our three social media sites.

• optimistic prime

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:54 PM

Like a new player, that sounds familiar.

• TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:58 PM

oh, so i guess thats where the 60M figure is coming from. 6 for SDJ, 8 for cisse & 4 for tiote when he comes back. i get it now. Well done penfold.

• catchy in norway

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:02 PM

shola was a new player every season

• scottydlb23

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:05 PM

Here is some of what Luuk had to say? Wrong brother Ed.

• toonbrother

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:07 PM

his best position is precisely where sissoko currently plays
    He may be a decent player but he is nowhere near sissoko;s level
    he is not a natural centre forward. Luuk de jong is a better goalscorer
    I wonder how he would fit into the same line up as momo

• nut meg

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:20 PM

Here’s a bit more from the interview.
    What people forget is that had De Jong been fit he would have solved a long-standing problem for Alan Pardew and Newcastle.

The search for a number 10 has been a consistent feature of the last five years and De Jong was going to be the man to change it this year – to increase United’s football IQ and inject know-how into black-and-white football DNA.

He sad: “I think it is a really good position for me and I have seen a lot of games in England now.

“A lot of teams play with two strikers, or one striker and two wingers.

“The position behind the striker is usually free, which is interesting.

“We have tried to play with it but Moussa Sissoko is more of a player who goes to the outside and runs with the ball more.

“I am more of a player who holds the ball and tries to find the holes in between. I have seen a lot of games where there is space in between the holes and I think ‘I could have made a big difference there!’

• jayphoto

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:21 PM

@toonbrother gotta disagree, i think Siem showed in champions league games for Ajax he has the potential to be much more effective than the inconsistent Sissoko.
    sissokos best ive seen him is wide right in a 4-4-2 or wide centre of a midfield 3 where he plays for france! As a #10 he has no vision and doesn’t link midfield with the strikers at all which was De jongs speciality at ajax. Sissoko isn’t very industrious with the ball either his strengths are power and pace on the counter attack. De jong is much more suited in a team that wants possession.

• bladeuser

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:54 PM

Nufc sign there first player for next season
    wait for it SIEM DE JONG and another top striker is coming
    its SIEMS brother yes the one who could not hit a barn door we can pair him with riviere and lets hope they can get into double figures between them or is that optimistic i hope now the season tickets drop through your letter boxes as i know u cannot wait to see this partnership next season
    Me i will be spending it on something a lot less exciting a holiday in vegas but i will be thinking of u eating your £5 pie and cheap lager while u listen to the away fans cheering yet another goal and wishing i was with u and can i just add i would also attend a one man and his dog competition before watching the crap u have to suffer

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:31 PM