Newcastle Have Massive £60M Transfer Fund For Summer Spending


According to the Daily Mirror, Newcastle will be willing to spend up to £60M this summer to bring in some new players, and the report also says that Newcastle are willing to sell three of their star players.

tim krul ornage newcastle strip

Tim Krul – up for sale

If the story is true then if wouldn’t surprise us, because Newcastle have money available to spend – they just haven’t bothered to do that in the last two January transfer windows, and the team has suffered because of  that.

But the club is starting to face some real and justified criticism from their fans that there is no real ambition from owner Mike Ashley, and he seems willing to have Newcastle in mid-table and have great financial results.

Clubs like Southampton, Swansea and West Ham have outspent Newcastle over the last two years, and seem to have more ambition than Newcastle these days.

A football club is there to do well and win trophies for their fans, and there’s no better fans than Newcastle’s – and we still have over 50,000 at each home game, come hell or high water.

But we haven’t won anything since 1969 and seemingly don’t want to have long cup runs, because that could interfere with our league results and the big money we get each year from the Premier League.

The report suggests that Cheick Tiote, Fabricio Coloccini and Tim Krul will be sold, and the only surprise there is Tim Krul, although maybe Newcastle think that Karl Darlow – who is on loan at Nottingham Forest – can do the job for Newcastle.

We’d still be surprised if Tim is sold, and he’s been a good player for the club and  been on Tyneside ten years this summer after signing on from ADO Den Haag in the summer of 2005, when Graeme Souness was the manager and Tim was 17.

And with Newcastle set to announce their stellar financial results next week, maybe this story has been leaked to calm down the fans, because the financial results will indicate we have plenty of money to spend.

But in January we didn’t spend a penny, and sold Alan Pardew to Crystal Palace (compensation for breaking contract), Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa to Roma and then Davide Santon to Inter-Milan – and in total brought in around £11M.

But now John Carver is struggling with only 15 senior players available at the club.

So it makes sense to have a story like this on the Sunday before the financials are released.

The Mirror report says the £60M is for transfer fees and  wages – but contracts are over many years and Newcastle pay their transfer fees up front in cash – so how the wages figure into that we don’t know.

Is it the wages over the full contract of a player , one year’s wages – or what?

And we would hope that whatever we get for the three players up for sale, that money will be reinvested into bringing more players into the club.

And one reason Newcastle will spend the money this summer is that next summer the new £5.1B TV three year deal starts, and that’s a 70% increase on the current £3B deal we have in place.

The Newcastle owner thinks the transfer fees will sky-rocket – starting next summer –  and he could be right on that, but remember this big money is only for the 20 Premier League clubs.

Suffice to say there will be plenty of money to spend this summer at Newcastle.

Comments welcome.

Note: Mark Hammell is an avid reader of the blog and he has signed up for 7 endurance events totaling over 600 miles, after he has just recovered from a serious ACL injury.

Mark is doing this to raise money for the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation. Here is Mark’s Justgiving page – see if you can help him out and help Bobby’s Foundation.

You can follow us on our three social media sites.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

9 comments so far

  • hibbit

    Mar 29, 2015 at 8:45 AM

    Comment #1

    behave ed you know its sunday

    0
  • Jeff from Benwell

    Mar 29, 2015 at 8:54 AM

    Comment #2

    Mehdi Abeid Tweets he’s back training tomorrow
    Gerrin !!!!

    http://www.letempsdz.com/content/view/147929/1/

    Newcastle United: Mehdi Abeid de retour à l’entraînement lundi

    L’international algérien de Newcastle United (Premier league anglaise de football), Mehdi Abeid, éloigné des terrains depuis deux semaines à cause d’une blessure à la cuisse, reprendra l’entraînement lundi prochain.

    “Je reprends l’entraînement lundi”, écrit Abeid sur son compte Twitter. Le milieu de terrain algérien des “Magpies” s’était blessé le 14 mars dernier lors d’une séance d’entraînement, à la veille du déplacement à Everton

    0
  • gaz 44

    Mar 29, 2015 at 9:07 AM

    Comment #3

    I wouldn’t mind but 60 million isn’t exactly a massive amount. The teams who finish top six (unless saints finish there) will probably double this amount and just on transfer fees on wages combined. These are the teams we should be aiming to catch… On another note a new coach and coaching staff is what’s needed

    0
  • Jeff from Benwell

    Mar 29, 2015 at 9:18 AM

    Comment #4

    I wonder if the reporter in the Sun writing about Lucien Favre , has been confused by the article below.
    It says that the agent of Anderlecht’s very tasty 6’2″ Serbian striker Aleksandar Mitrovic has spoken to both Moenchengladbach and Newcastle
    This kid (20years old) would make a perfect foil for Perez.

    http://www.fussballtransfers.com/bundesliga/borussia-borussia-im-rennen-um-ausnahmetalent-mitrovic_52750

    0
  • croftus5678

    Mar 29, 2015 at 9:31 AM

    Comment #5

    we wont get any money for colo but i believe tiote will go but only for 5mil max.

    not sure on krul ! he’s losing form and making a fair few mistakes but look what happened when he was out and we had alnwick !!! i’m not sure its right to leave it up to darlow and elliott to be our full time keeper when we havent even tested darlow in the prem to see if he’s any good.

    tbh krull or elliott will have to go in the near future though as woodman is progressing really fast.

    on the 60mil ! rofl if only .we will spend 10mil max but if we did spend an amout 10mil ish for very decent cb’s and 20mil for decent striker and we wouldnt be far from that top 6 if we keep our main players and are smart about it.

    0
  • croftus5678

    Mar 29, 2015 at 9:34 AM

    Comment #6

    @4 jeff

    that metrovic looks perfect for us.
    not a fancy player but a true no9 and can do everything to a decent standard ! cabella/rolando/siem/cisse/perez should do great around that lad in the team.

    0
  • Moonraker15

    Mar 29, 2015 at 12:06 PM

    Comment #7

    Good news if it’s true although we need to spend big just to stand still because the squad is so weak! However, unless we get in a top coach it’s no use to us; we have good players already who are not used or coached properly. We must be the worst club for developing players 🙁

    0
  • NEWEXPATMAGPIE

    Mar 29, 2015 at 3:51 PM

    Comment #8

    60 Mil is not a massive amount if you compare this to the top six who regularly have a larger Transfer Budget and who use it on a regular basis! We, however have one of the best Fan basis in the Land and are run on a Shoestring Budget by our tight fisted and Numb Nuts Owner!

    0
  • magpiefifer

    Mar 30, 2015 at 10:54 AM

    Comment #9

    Wouldn’t be unhappy to see Colo and Tiote go but Krul would be a loss – can’t blame Tim for wanting to go,if he has any ambition!
    If the £60m spend is true,the net spend will be much less after Ashley sells the above – and don’t rule out Perez and Sissoko if good enough offers come in.

    0

You must log in to post a comment.