This Is The Litmus Test For Newcastle This Summer

There was some good news today in the Mirror that Newcastle are willing to spend £60M in the summer transfer window, and if that’s true – that would be good –  and we think the report could even be accurate.

mike Ashley smiling

Mike Ashley – can he resist big bids for his star players?

And this week Newcastle will now in all likelihood be brave enough to announce the financial results of the last financial year – from July 2013, through June,  2014 – and the results will be excellent.

They will the best ever for Newcastle United in terms of both revenue and profits.

But the question will be why we didn’t spend some of that money in January to strengthen the squad, and it even makes sense that Newcastle would leak a report they will be spending a lot of money in the summer, just before they release their stellar financial results.

Newcatsle fans are not happy at the moment, and yes – that’s an understatement – with the way the club is being managed from the top.

Newcastle will be bringing in some new players in the summer, both for the first team squad and the development squad, but the key for Newcastle this summer is can we keep our best players?

Or will Mike Ashley keep running the club like players are like stocks and shares, and are bought for a low price and sold later for a big profit.

The players who Newcastle could get bids for in the summer include Cheick Tiote, Daryl Janmaat. Moussa Sissoko, Rolando Aarons and maybe Papiss Cisse.

Of those we expect only Cheick Tiote to be sold, and it’s probably time for Tiote and Newcastle to part ways.

There’s news all over the internet in the last few days that top clubs will be trying to buy 19 year-old Rolando Aarons in the summer – but he still has one year left on his contract at Newcastle, and we fully expect Rolando to be at the club in September.

One thing Rolando would need to do before the end of the season is to prove his fitness,  and if he doesn’t come back this season, there’s little likelihood top clubs would bid big  money for him.

Daryl Janmaat has had a great first season at Newcastle and could even be our Player of the Season, so we expect some bids to come in for him – maybe from Manchester United and his former Dutch coach Louis van Gaal.

And Moussa Sissoko has had a good season as has Papiss Cisse, and the Senegal striker has shown he can score goals in the Premier League, so we could get bids for those two.

If we keep selling our best players, we will never be able to build a top side, and therefore we hope Ashley puts ridiculous prices on our best players – like he did for Andy Carroll.

And only sell them if we get silly money for them.

Here’s hoping that Mike will have changed his ways and now wants to build a top side at Newcastle rather than just make money.

Leopards can change their stripes – can’t they?

What do you think?

Note: Mark Hammell is an avid reader of the blog and he has signed up for 7 endurance events totaling over 600 miles, after he has just recovered from a serious ACL injury.

Mark is doing this to raise money for the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation. Here is Mark’s Justgiving page – see if you can help him out and help Bobby’s Foundation.

You can follow us on our three social media sites.

• armchair fan

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:41 PM

“There was some good news today in the Mirror that Newcastle are willing to spend £60M in the summer transfer window, and if that’s true – that would be good – and we think the report could even be accurate.”

Meth or crack?

• optimistic prime

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:45 PM

I can’t see any of the stories about how much NUFC have available or are wiling to spend have any truth In them.

The club always plays it’s cards close to it’s chest, it’s always looking for the best price by stating we’re spending X Y Z just drives the prices up. Makes no sense at all.

All paper talk IMO or a bit disinformation from the club for ST renewals.

• beermonkey

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:45 PM

60mill to spend

so 60 mill for sissoko perez krul tiote cisse
    I spose that’s not a bad return

• LGFUAD21

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:46 PM

Know I’ve said it before but I think people are way to harsh on Mcclaren.

While the prospect of a Garde excites me I think everybody is pinning too much on him being our Wenger.

Mcclaren knows this league. He may not have had huge successes as a manager but that can be more than just down to himself. Sometimes good coaches don’t have the resources or players to win.

Just because he’s currently at Derby does not bother me at all. The championship is a very tough league to get out of and he’s got Derby playing nice stuff and challenging.

I think Mcclaren would be the best appointment since sir Bobby and IMO he’s achieved more in his career than Garde, Tuchel, Gaultier so I don’t see what it is in fans minds that make them better prospects.

I think people are getting caught up in the glitz and glam and not thinking logically.

• Ian Toon

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:47 PM

Already looking forward to the Derby. Hopefully Cabella can continue his renaissance as he provided a spark against Arsenal which we’ve lacked for a long time. With the return of Abeid and, hopefully, De Jong to follow, we may soon actually have options instead of the side picking itself.

• LGFUAD21

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:51 PM

Re Favre.

I said back when pardew left that out of the foreign guys he’d be my number 1.

His teams have always played very exciting football and I think the fans would love it if he could get toon playing like his past teams.

• optimistic prime

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:54 PM

Beer

I, not bad

• beermonkey

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:58 PM

prime

might have to throw janmatt in a deal
    but I would prefer a buy janmatt you have to talk willo and colo with him

• lesh

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:59 PM

Ed

Of course leopards can change their stripes – they’re tarred with the same feathers as some of our multi-faceted friends who grace this site with their undoubted wisdom, humour wit. Yes, you heard, wit!

• LGFUAD21

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:59 PM

To reaffirm my point about Mcclaren.

Garde Tuchel and gaultier have only really had 1 big job.

You so often see those coaches get picked up by another team and they simply try to repeat what they did before and it doesn’t work for one reason or another (wrong types of players, different league styles)

Mcclaren trumps all for experience and the times he has failed mean he’s learnt lessons along the way.

England seems to have 1 strike policy whicy really goes against the grain. You learn more from negative situations than positive. For example, if you are a restaurant and you get customers to fill in “how did we do?” Sheets and people pile praise on you learn nothing. It’s nice to receive but you will continue to do the same thing. But if a customer puts negative (but constructive) feedback you can learn.

I especially think tuchel would flop. Managing french and English players is a whole different kettle of fish to the highly professional, utilitarian Germans.

Typically Germans understand systems better, they are bred to be a cog in a machine while french players tend to be far more individualistic. They are more exciting as a result but very difficult to mould into an organised system compared to german players.

On the english player side I think tuchel would struggle with the more laid back professionalism (don’t want to say lack of, as I think it’s just different)

• hibbit

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:04 PM

somebody asked earlier……..Mcclaren is 1.2m a year at derby

• Slank

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:12 PM

So if the club are willing to spend £60 million on transfers alone it must therefore be assumed that the profits are even higher as the club needs constant financing or the £60 million is something plucked out of the air.

• Ian Toon

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:26 PM

You really shouldn’t beat McClaren with the England and Wally with the brolly forever. Some in our fan base do have a tendency to rule out various good players/managers simply it appears on the grounds of connections with other North East clubs.
    McClaren is an experienced manager who has had big jobs and I view him as being on a par say with a David Moyes. He would be a massive upgrade on JC.

• armchair fan

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:28 PM

LGFUAD

Tuchel is managing in Germany. He is also a German.

• Bri

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:29 PM

If half of that amount is spent i would be very surprised.We don’t want Ashley to have a heart attack, do we now.

• Ian Toon

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:30 PM

I have watched Derby a few times on TV and his team play attractive football. They were unlucky I thought to lose out to QPR last season.

• LGFUAD21

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:42 PM

14armchair fan // Mar 29, 2015 at 3:28 PM

Yes he is. And I’m saying he might be in for a culture shock with the French lads here.

Look at Magath at Fulham and I now defy anyone to go read up on Magath’s achievements in Germany and tell me he is a poor manager.

• Jeff from Benwell

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:44 PM

You cannot blame Ashley or the NUFC staff for trying to acquire players with potential , at knock down prices , with an eye to making money on them in the future.It has been an integral part of football for decades sometimes it can go spectacularly right like the Andy Carroll scenario and sometime nightmarishly wrong like Hatem ben Arfa.
    Karim Benzema says of the 4 future stars of the French u17 team of 10 years ago that beat a teenaged Cesc Fabregas’ Spain , himself , Jeremy Menez, Samir Nasri , and Ben Arfa. He is the only one that fulfilled the pundits extravagant predictions for the future.In those days Ben Arfa was being lauded as the best of the bunch , Benzema compares him to the Messi of now, what a crying shame.

• Slank

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:46 PM

Bri @ 15

In the previous summer transfer window the club spent £37,900,000 which is more than half the reported £60 million.

Players bought were:
    Ayoze
    De Jong
    Cabella
    Riviere
    Janmaat
    Darlow
    Lascelles
    (Colback was free)

I would say that only Ayoze and Janmaat have been unqualified successes. Cabella is looking much improved. De Jong and Riviere have been great disappointments for different reasons.

• frankie

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:52 PM

Armchair fan,it’s got to be both.

• LGFUAD21

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:53 PM

Last thing I’ll say on the managers today.

Whoever comes in I hope they get support and a bit of slack from the fans to find their feet.

Pardew was always on the back foot among fans just like fat sam and this isn’t a comment On Their managerial ability but if the same attitude happens to mcclaren then he has no chance and the fans are part of the problem.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:54 PM

Ian…did you read up on the homework I gave you?

…you didn’t want to prolong this conversation and you wanted to set the record straight…so lets set it straight in plenum!

• BoyDoneGood

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:55 PM

Leopards must be able to change their stripes – that’s why they’ve all got spots…

What would you spend £60M on? A few obvious big buys – difficuilt to get a bargain – but what else? This year shows the nead for a back-up striker. Possible example: local lad Michael Smith looks to have come good this season at Swindon. And we need good goal keeping cover.

Any ideas?

I still think the current policy of buying young is good. I see Liverpool have been linked with Milner as a Gerard replacement – surely a joke?

• BoyDoneGood

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:58 PM

“nead” – dunno where that came from

• Slank

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:58 PM

BoyDoneGood @ 23

‘spend £60M on? A few obvious big buys..’

Such as ?

• LGFUAD21

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:59 PM

Slank

NOT DEFENDING THE REGIME.

But I think people are really overstating how much money is in the pot (current accounts notwithstanding)

We can only spend our profits on players and past accounts show there we’re not much in the way of profits. If there are not much profits then the only way the club can buy is by accruing debt or a cash injection from the owner.

Some fans seem to think there is done mythical money pot somewhere and is love to see then explain where exactly this golden goose is.

I fully expect us to spend £30m. Whether that is net or not is irrelevant. Player sales is a source of profit and hence it funds player buys. Would be nice to see the club spend some of the profits of the last year in addition to money from new player sales.

Now whether we spend that £30m well is another thing.

I will say I bloody hope villa go down and we can nick Benteke.

• Ian Toon

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:00 PM

Jeff- I don’t have a problem with value for money signings. As fans we have to appreciate that not every player will hit the ground running. I feel for example that Cabella whilst taking time to settle will be a good value for money signing.
    The real problem for some time has been that we can’t resist an apparent bargain rather than enter the market to secure and fix blatantly obvious weaknesses in the squad. Many of us are on the record for some years saying that we need CB, ST and creativity which has only been exacerbated. The playing formation frequently is formulated to bolster a glaringly weak defence. Ashley needs to recognise this because those discerning fans certainly do!

• LGFUAD21

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:04 PM

Ian, Jeff

There’s value for money (Janmaat) and then there’s Rivière.

• Lindisfarne

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:05 PM

A win against S’lnd followed by an announcement about a new foreign Head Coach next season, new players signing pre-contract agreements and a blistering set of account figures.

I expect nothing less.

• Slank

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:07 PM

LGFUAD21

I agree.

I very much doubt there will be £60 million.

People thinking that there will be big buys may be disappointed.

• Slank

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:10 PM

On a completely different tack.

For the nerds. Does anyone know who has taken the most shots this season ?

I reckon it must be Perez. Anyone agree ?

• JamesToon

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:15 PM

re mcclaren

i don’t think people like him as he hasn’t really achieved anything in england. one capital one cup with boro in 2006, playing hoof ball. Football in england has changed a lot since then. Whats he done with derby? 5th in the league atm hardly good i think. Karanka doing much better with boro and he’s hardly had any previous management. McClaren has won 1 dutch league, de boers won 4.

I can’t see mcclaren bringing any long term stability, no style of play, no passion. i think if he came he’ll lose a few games trying to play good football, and he’ll revert to hoof ball, like pardew does.

Any of these coaches i’d be very happy with:
    Lucien Favre
    Remi Garde
    Aitor Karanka
    Vitor Perreira
    Frank de Boer

• LGFUAD21

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:21 PM

James.

How many times have you seen Derby play?

Also how many times have you seen any if those other managers teams play?

What spectacular honours does your wish list candidates have.

The championship is a very difficult league to get out of. There’s always 7 teams battling up top. derby could well jump up that league quickly. I’d say a 5th place finish in the champ is relative to a 4th place Finnish in the prem in the context of the competition.

• Ian Toon

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:24 PM

Jesper- you seriously want to prolong this nonsense.
    I do not have a qualification in a language other than basic French. I do however have contact with foreign students on work experience a few of whom ace been Danish. I would not wish to suggest that the text provided was a joke – it does not merit such a suggestion. It really is trivia. Rest assured that it was not Google driven by mean.
    On a more important issue you really do need to watch the claim of guilty by association. Having seen the perpetuation of the false claim of posting with other names I raised the subject with Ed( Feb 2014 and November 2014) only to discover the past form of Messrs Tuff and JFA.
    Mr Tuff has form for accusing a poster Ethiotoon of being a Reyantoon onlyupon examination to have to withdraw his post. Which it appears was Mr T’s idea of an apology. He is aware of the suggestion of seeking to cause disharmony on the blog.
    Ed is also aware that JFA has openly admitted to a series of postings as RAJ of Hailsley which he claimed was just a practical joke.

All this is a nonsense and trivia but I sometimes feel your too ready to accuse those going about straightforward posting and don’t wish to be caught up in this stupidity. At the end of the day it’s your choice as to whether you want to believe me or not but as far as I am concerned this is the end of the matter.
    I can simply just ignore your presence and you mine.

• JamesToon

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:32 PM

LGF

i’ve seen derby play a lot this season and they do play some good stuff. Maybe McClaren would see that as 1 of the main things he can do to get fans on his side, to play attractive and attacking football.

I’m not completely ruling mcclaren out, maybe he could completely prove me wrong, but i just think a foreign coach who are more ambitious imo, can make a bit more of a connection with the fans e.g. Garde as he’s french, which is what we haven’t had in years.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:34 PM

Ian…I don’t like to be set straight in my own language when that language is tarnished in such a way!

…I don’t appreciate when you stick to the claim that what you wrote in some sort of google translated Danish was suppose to be from a Danish Cambridge scholar or something like that.

You stepped out of line and you need to fess up to it!

You have a tendency to make these annoying little remarks to provoke or something like that but this time you stepped out of line and I have had it!

This I not about whether you are a linguist or not or you have multiple accounts ir not. It’s about that statement I reposted for you this morning.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:35 PM

Well this is very interesting about my past “form” being revealed after contact with Ed.
    Please reveal more of these revelations from Ed about my form.
    I have no past form with Ed.
    Come on reveal more of your information -I challenge you.

I suggest a classic case of diverting blame when it gets too hot. Clear behaviour of someone who is a sociopath. What a devious and horrid individual.

• BoyDoneGood

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:36 PM

Slank

Big buys, but I don’t know which are best buys: I mean the positions are obvious, especially quality central defenders. I’m leaving it up to anyone else to suggest the names – I think it’s really hard to get value for money with established stars, but if Ashley is really prepared to dig deep… Who do you reckon?

• Ibizatoon

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:41 PM

Ian…Do you remember what you told me to do when the whole multiple username thing was rife on the blog?

You told me to check with Ed as he would confirm that you had nothing to do with it.

You do know what he told me, right?

You know I stood your corner for a good long while, then I did as you suggested. Now I find it hard to stand your corner Ian. Did Ed give me bad information or what is it you’re up to on here? It doesn’t add up. The only reason this “nonsense” continues is because you allow it to, imo, of course.

• Ian Toon

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:42 PM

LGFU – I take your point Janmaat took to the P? straightaway and has clearly enhanced his value to Ashley. My point was that some players take longer than others to settle. Hopefully Rivière will produce as he currently doesn’t present value for money and Ashley might well look to Janmaat for a return on his initial investment.