Newcastle Chief Executive Hints At Top Squad

If you read Lee Charley’s statement that was issued this morning with Newcastle’s financial results, you can read into that several times that Newcastle intend to build up the playing staff.

lee charnley close-up

Lee Charnley – Newcastle’s Managing Director

This is what Managing Director Lee Charnley said this morning:

“The Club benefits from a supportive owner and is financially stable. This gives us a strong platform from which to grow, both on and off the pitch, a result of which means, as we move forward, we are able to net spend on the playing squad and invest in other areas of the business.”

“I am pleased to report a positive set of results which confirms the healthy financial position the Club now finds itself in, and is a reflection of the prudent and measured manner in which we operate.”

“The most pleasing aspect in this set of accounts has been the growth in our commercial revenue and it has been our strongest year yet in that respect.”

“With our commitment to keeping ticket prices affordable for our supporters growing our commercial income has been crucial. The deals we struck with our two main sponsors, Wonga and Puma, together with a stronger focus on our commercial operations, have helped us achieve this growth.”

We believe financial stability will deliver positive on-field results for the Club.”

We have underlined those comments which relate to building a top playing squad at Newcastle.

It seems  the club is at a cross-roads – certainly the fans seem are – and we have only 17 experienced senior players available for the next game at Sunderland next Sunday – which is simply ridiculous.

Mike Ashley has to decide why he’s the owner of Newcastle United and what he is going to do in the future, assuming he doesn’t sell the club.

The wrong answer is to have good financial results every year.

The right answer is to use the money every year to build the playing squad at Newcastle so we can have a top team again, and also stop selling our best players unless we get Andy Carroll type bids coming in for them.

But there’s a lot of hope in that statement.

What do you think?

Note: Mark Hammell is an avid reader of the blog and he has signed up for 7 endurance events totaling over 600 miles, after he has just recovered from a serious ACL injury.

Mark is doing this to raise money for the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation. Here is Mark’s Justgiving page – see if you can help him out and help Bobby’s Foundation.

You can follow us on our three social media sites.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:18 PM

Zzz zzz zzz!

….I am sorry did you say something mini Ashley?

• toonicle

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:21 PM

The only money we’ll spend is what we get off of Tiote and probably Sissoko.

• BandB

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:25 PM

Ed

“There’s a lot of hope in that statement.”

“What do you think?”

I don’t know Ed, but an hour ago, this is what you thought…..

“Newcastle have little ambition – but fans already knew that.”

• optimistic prime

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:26 PM

That’s worth a look, someone tries to spell the accounts out for the dopes like me.

• NezzaNUFC

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:32 PM

would this be the same statement as to

1 – MA funding NUFC 20 million every season?

2 – if NUFC sold a player 2 would be brought in?

3 – training centre and youth centre being upgraded?

4 – investing in improving the squad last season and this season?

seems to me they offer such false statements so fans can renew ST

• optimistic prime

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:35 PM

Do we have a bank account with all the profits in from last 4 years?

If so is there £30mil+ from these 4 years in profit floating around somewhere?

Am I safe im asking do we have £30mil plus that was available to spend last summer on players the squad needs but wasn’t touched?

I’m not asking about the missing money on the accounts lol, I’m asking about what the club has admitted to having.

• NezzaNUFC

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:35 PM

So I gather we all know this will happen –

Cardew will sign full time as head coach .

Aarons, SDJ, the two lads at Forest, S. Taylor, Marv and many others who are out this season will be like new signings.

we had no money to spend.

Couldn’t get them over the line.

• optimistic prime

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:37 PM

Or do we only have £18.7mil floating about?

• NezzaNUFC

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:42 PM

optimistic prime

I wouldn’t be surprised if the 18.7 million gets lowered by the end of this season.

I mean come on the tea lady and cleaners need a pay rise so I think the 18 million should cover the cost 😉

• Bri

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:42 PM

A top squad Ed, come off it.

• BandB

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:44 PM

Mactoon,

Did you see Neil Macaroon using his Q&A session in the Chronicle to unleash a no-fear-or-favour onslaught on a decidedly questionable set of accounts today?

I’d want such tireless seeker of the truth in my corner, wouldn’t you?

• MacToon

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:45 PM

OP. We should have the £30 mil (approx.) in the bank and come this summer window another £20 mil (approx.) to add to it.

However, there are huge gaps which should hopefully be explained sooner rather than later.

• optimistic prime

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:46 PM

Nezza

I’m surprised he admitted as much, I thought more would have vanished.

• MacToon

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:46 PM

I didn’t B&B but will look now……

• NezzaNUFC

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:48 PM

MacToon

I think will all the fuss about this it won’t be long until Lee or someone else comes out with another statement as to were the 30 million has gone.

• optimistic prime

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:51 PM

Mac toon

I think most of this stuff on the accounts is only there to try and confuse us. The article I posted earlier makes sense (to me) and says the full accounts will be out next week and it will be clearer what’s been going on.

Does the money not go up again this year?

• Ibizatoon

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:52 PM

“Q&A

Mark NUFC Henderson: If Sports Direct paid for advertising from day one, given space afforded to them would it cover the Ashley loan amount.

Neil says: I have been told by more than one person that SD gets £20m ‘free’ advertising a season. Go figure.”

• magscar

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:56 PM

Reading through today’s blog it amazes me that for a blog mainly populated by posters who only want to talk about attempts at trophies it has gone into overdrive by the trophy hunters becoming forensic accountants. Rest assured that if the accounts are concealing profit that ought to have been taxed then HMRC will be somewhat interested. On that point and as I believe a poster touched on on an earlier thread the net profit which appears in the audited accounts is not what is necessarily taxed as some items appearing in the P&L are not allowable for tax purposes and are “added back” so increasing taxable profit.

Presumably the allegedly missing profit some are banging on about will be accounted for when the full accounts including the Balance Sheet are presented. Whether we as fans accept or like what emerges is not clear but I can guess at the majority’s view. By the way I am also surprised at how readily some accept the likes of the Mirror’s figures of a war chest when they know no more than us about Ashley’s intentions.

Finally can I end by saying Monday Morning Quarterback.

• BandB

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:57 PM

I have a question for Neil.

A one proper journalists are asking.

How did the operating costs go up so much?

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:01 PM

Okay imagine this :

What if the reason the figures are missing £30 million is because the club dont want other clubs to think they have a lot of money to spend so the prices dont go up in the summer??

Ha me neither

• Belfast

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:03 PM

There’s a taxi booked going to broadmoor hospital, all those who believe we’re going to spend big bucks in the summer jump in.

It’s for your own good.

• BandB

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:04 PM

mascara,

You have, to be fair, always had a hotline to the majority view.

• MacToon

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:06 PM

A more interesting article imo from the Chrony today by Douglas.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:07 PM

Belfast…I’ll send the Blue Van!

• optimistic prime

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:08 PM

Ibiza

Ive said since his free ads started it must be close to that figure he’s taking out of our club by giving it away and people laugh.

I would like to know what the extra expenditure is but I’m more bothered that there’s at least £18mil available for last 2 windows and neither the CB or striker problem was addressed.

I’m glad the media are at last starting to take Intrest instead of making out there’s no problem with Ashley, SSN earlier stated £17.3mil in profits on transfers alone since Ashley arrived and a total profit in last 4 years.

• BandB

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:12 PM

Mactoon,

I would say the talking points of those to articles are almost identical.

I must be missing some insider guidance on how I should be perceiving all this.

• Belfast

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:14 PM

One of the crown jewels will be sold probably Sissoko. We’ll sign a few players, a few players will leave, and the squad will be smaller when you add up the numbers.

Everybody will spend the next 6 months talking about the Sissoko money, and completely forget about the money we had before we sold him.

De ja vu…..

• Belfast

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:16 PM

Must be an 8 seater Jesper

• magscar

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:17 PM

BandB
    I think you need to check your predictive text settings. It seems so easy to touch a raw nerve with you even when not addressing you. As I have said before you like to dish it out to non- clique posters but…..

• BandB

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:20 PM

magscar,

I think I have been rather more frank with my “friends” than you.

How exactly is it you manage to take the temperature and pulse of the man on the terraces again? Can you remind me?

• magscar

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:30 PM

I was talking of the majority on here so no need to go on the terraces just sit in your living room and read. Stick to having digs at the Chronicle’s journo’s. Hope there is no professional jealousy on display.

• magscar

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:34 PM

Anyway have said my piece and can’t be bothered to have a going nowhere discussion with one of the Blog’s sarcastic bloodhounds. Night

• optimistic prime

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:34 PM

Magscar

The majority of fans have been asking the questions, how much profit, when was it available, why is there a extra £28.5mil gone on operating costs.

All sensible and reasonable questions and all brought up by journalists and pundits.

The amateur accounts on the blog are the Ashley apologists who try to baffle people and change the angle of what is a very legitamate debate. Most fans don’t care about the accounts but due to miss trust and wums who don’t know their arse from their elbow the blog ends up obsessed with accountancy trying to shut wums up!

• BandB

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:37 PM

magscar,

Oh dear…

I have been gullible, haven’t I?

• BandB

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:37 PM

Liked the poem though…..

• Sazzer

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:46 PM

GeordieTwo
    I never said it would be easy with owner like Ashley.

What I said was because all PL clubs is getting richer compared to the rest of Europe.

The teams below Spurs is going to find it easier to be able to buy players better than they already got.

While Spurs is going to struggle to buy players already better than they got despite having more money.

Because those players they need to buy will end up at Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City and Man U that can offer both more money and more prestige.

• nufc 11

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:53 PM

Give me a fcuking break players from the championship or French league 2 will hardly have our competitors shaking in their boots

• magscar

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:56 PM

OP

The full accounts have not been publically revealed only what Charnley chose to highlight. I am only suggesting that would it not be wiser and less exhausting to wait until they are. I am not defending Ashley merely pointing out that we do not as yet have the full picture to chew over if that is what we want to do. The Balance Sheet may reveal something extra but I am not going to speculate as I am not equipped to do so and will wait and see. Perhaps the broadsheets or financials might then give us some more digestible info to get stuck into.

One other point occurred whilst reading through the posts today was that there is no reason why a business is confined to spending only the profits of the last published accounts – to 30 June 2014 as it is able to draw on anticipated profits of the current year to 30 June 2015 if it so wishes. Not saying it will and acknowledge that probably unlikely but unlike your user name I am a half glass full kind of guy 🙂 Yeah I usually end up disappointed but as goes with the territory of having such an outlook I soon recover and try to find something positive and not bring myself low with constant negative feelings as a fan. Sunday better be a high for a change!!!

• optimistic prime

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:22 AM

Magscar

I dare say if the team performed like Southampton (they are also in profit) perform there’d be no problems with anything Ashley does.

The problem is the mistrust he has created, letting players go when we’re already desperately short is poor management at best.

When the team and club are stagnating as they currently are and Ashley has money available to improve the side but doesn’t and He allows the side to drift it’s way through another season it was always going to rub fans up the wrong way.

It’s very hard to be optimistic at the moment were a rudderless ship and the captains jumped.

I fancy us to win 2-0, even with our injury list we should see them off. It’s a game they have to win IMO or there down, we should let them try and force the game and hit them with pace on the break.