Let’s Hope This Rumor Is Not True

There have been lots of reports over the last few days that Newcastle will pay £2M to Derby County as compensation for their manager Steve McClaren in the summer, and that he will become the head coach at Newcastle.

steve-mcclaren.jpg

Steve McClaren – to become the new head coach?

And the latest paper to chime in with a report is the Mirror today,  and they say there is a close relationship between Chief Scout Graham Carr and McClaren,  and that’s one of the reasons cited by them why Steve is favored to be the next head coach at the club.

If that’s true it’s just a pity we didn’t choose the coach based on his coaching abilities rather than who he knows.

And it may not be good news for Newcastle,  because Steve will fit nicely as the third man of the triumvirate who will essentially run the club, with Graham Carr and Managing Director Lee Charnley being the other two.

It will also mean that nothing much will change and Newcastle can continue to go on their merry way of making money by selling players whenever the right bid comes in, whether it’s the last day of the transfer market or not.

It would also be an unimaginative choice by Newcastle, and would herald yet another Englishman as the coach/manager at Newcastle while English Billionaire Mike Ashley has been the owner.

It’s also a safe choice, because Steve will not cause any trouble, and will just get on coaching the players who have been made available to him.

It could also be that the coaching staff of John Carver, Steve Stone and Andy Woodman remain on Tyneside – so that not much will change at all on the coaching side of things.

We just hope that Derby County find their form in the last seven games of the season and get promoted – because then it’s very unlikely McClaren would want to leave Derby.

The reports that Newcastle may appoint McClaren as head coach is not good news – what has he ever done in coaching to make him a  success at Newcastle?

But there again we remember making the exact same point over four years ago, when Alan Pardew was appointed manager – and that appointment came right out of the blue.

It seems how the candidates get on with the Newcastle hierarchy and whether they support the way the club is run,  is more important than their ability as a coach.

That’s not good.

You can follow us on our three social media sites.

• jasonmag

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:19 PM

I think anyone has to be better than carver, but not sure this is the right choice

• Mister Tuff

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:21 PM

Belfast – our friend Dulcerina went on a rant -gist was supporting terrorists against the British/British Army. He also supported the terrorists killing folk in Australia – which drew some scathing posts from our Oz bloggers.

• firebug666

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:22 PM

The club need a fresh young head coach with new idea’s and a knowledge of the modern game, McClaren is NOT that man.

• Belfast

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:25 PM

I actually quite like the bloke, but due to the compensation there’s no chance of it happening.

Don’t think he’d be so keen to jump ship either after the England debacle.

• jasonmag

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:27 PM

our next manager/head coach will need a new backroom staff and coaches as ours now have ran out of ideas and often fail to coach out the bad habits, nevermind trying to coach good ones

• Mister Tuff

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:28 PM

Just been reading up on Brightons training complex which was built last year. Strange thing was that that outfit Sodexo got the catering contract with them – same outfit that does the toon catering.
    The short article listed their new facilities -not a comprehensive list -so we may not be able to compare like with like at the new training complex at Darsley Park. However the interesting point was the cost which was £30 million. So it might not be completely rash to think our new facilities may be of a similar cost.
    Link to the article :-

• manxpie

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:28 PM

He’d be better than carver absolutely!

For me it looks nailed on now quite a few links plus there owner speaking about it

but better not say to much more before someone tells me to stop it as it’s not his view or has a go at ed for posting such nonsense 😉 🙂 😉

• manxpie

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:31 PM

Tuff our under soil heating and free transfers cost 35 mill wat do you expect?

• Belfast

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:31 PM

So that explains dulcs absence from the blog then lol

• firebug666

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:35 PM

I seem to remember JD Dubai hinting at McClaren after speaking with Carr, so my guess is he’s coming in, and we are keeping Carver and all as his backroom staff.

I just don’t think he is the man for the job, and even paying £2m compensation Ashley is still up by £1.5m on the inept one leaving.

• manxpie

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:43 PM

Does no one else remember the report McClaren was down at the training ground ?

For me he’d be Ashleys best appointment as manager so far and certainly better than o’leary

and it would be funny to hear his geordie twang

• Novocastrian66

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:45 PM

I think the article on McClaren is a bit harsh. He won the league cup with Middlesborough and got them to the final of the UEFA cup. He also won the Eredivisie with FC Twente.
    He would definitely be an upgrade on Pardew and Carver, although that is nothing to shout about.

• Average_Contents

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:46 PM

Oh no Belfast.

He came back on shortly after his spew and apparent “ban” as if nothing had happened happily posting away until he got pulled again. Then he tried to deny it ever happening. I’m sure others will attest to that.

I suppose whoever didn’t see the original exchange but just read my posts after he’d come back on after being banned, thought “that’s a bit out of order” “naughty average attacking someone like that”

Hence the “I didn’t see anything” jibe I’m labelling the innocents with. Not particularly bothered tbh though as myself and a few others knew what had gone on.

Yes driving through that motorway was a classic. Don’t forget to high five the jam.

• Average_Contents

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:48 PM

Firebug

Evening mate, how’s tricks?

Manxpie

Nope. Never heard that one.

• Our Toon

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:49 PM

McClaren isn’t coming g and neither is anyone else. The regime keep leaking stories to keep the gullible masses guessing, it’s Carvers job, always has been. Now sign up for them new season tickets!!

• firebug666

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:56 PM

Novocastrian66

I think most fans agree he is an upgrade on the inept one and Carver, but for me that is not much of an upgrade, we should be looking for a younger head coach who is inspired, and will inspire the team.

Don’t get me wrong here, I would accept McClaren, (we have no choice really) and give him every chance to show he has what it takes, but if he takes the job and fails to improve us what then?

Maybe he will be rewarded with an 8 year contract, seems to be the going rate for failure at Newcastle.

• manxpie

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:59 PM

Ourtoon i seriously think carvers lost it from putting up inspirational posters before games to calling current players names from his time with Sir Bobby

he’s here till the end of the season and that’s it imo as manager anyways

His last interview seemed to show it , to me anyways

I’d put my money on McClaren like

• Sleepin Giant

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:01 PM

“Better than Carver” …. What a great reference.

• Our Toon

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:06 PM

Manxpie

To me it’s in the statements made that makes it absolutely clear as to who our next manager will be…or head coach.

Carver was asked a question regarding his future and his contract, he answered it with a sensible pre planned comment which helped divert attention away from his slip that he sat in on transfer target talks. Carver revealed wuat everyone knew….he’s got 8 year deal which he reverts back etc etc.

But earlier in the week the key comments made were that Carver sat in on apparent transfer talks and targets…he had his say along with Charnley and Carr. That to me is the clearest indication he’s staying on as manager.

Why would someone who you don’t consider as HC sit in on transfer talks for summer targets especially if he was going to be replaced?

• firebug666

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:06 PM

I’m sure Charnley said we would not be hiring anyone because they are friends with someone at the club. So if McClaren comes in it MUST NOT BE because he is a friend of Carr, who incidentally is working with Charnley on hiring a new head coach.

Not saying the club are lying top the fans again, maybe they are just misrepresenting the truth 😀

• dazzler

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:08 PM

OT

To give him whiff of the job to keep him focused perhaps?

I believe it’s his too to be honest bit also think perhaps if he’s not the man, he would still need to be part of the initial discussions to ensure his head is in the right place. If he’s thosthos

• dazzler

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:10 PM

Stupid phone…

If he’s this poor already, imagine how bad he’d be if he knew the job wasn’t his. I just threw up in my mouth a bit.

If it’s not carvers (I believe it is) then for me it’s gardes.

• Novocastrian66

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:11 PM

I’m not trying to say McClaren is the answer. If he comes it will be because he will be the cheapest available option, of that I’m convinced. I just think the article condeming him is a bit strong.
    I wouldn’t get excited if he is given the job as I’ve never really liked him. I would prefer a more bold, imaginative appointment however that is not going to happen.

• p

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:11 PM

Mr Tuff 30mill for a training complex would not hit profits in the year it was spent.

Cash might go down 30m but the other side would be a fixed asset in the balance sheet.

You then might see a depreciation charge each year against profits.

• manxpie

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:15 PM

Ourtoon looking after himself perhaps?

As I said I feel he’s lost it who’s to say wat he said was true ?

Unfortunately to me it comes across as a desperate man speaking to the press not knowing wat the fusk is going on .

• magscar

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:17 PM

Just catching up before bed so quickly

Ibiza

I found Lesh’s post a little less inclusive than I would like hence my comments. Similar to what I was saying to Jesper earlier if I can keep tjast part short.

Don’t you see that there is an imbalance on the blog? It is what it is and I am not here to personally seek to restore that but I plow my own furrow. I have never nailed my colours to anyone else’s mast but have been labelled by others repeatedly as is the way on here. I do occasionally applaud other posts but not often and generally comment where I feel there is a point to be made. Others can disagree and there is nothing I can do but accept I may be in a minority. In fact I am – I am in a minority of one but that doesn’t make my view wrong or pointless just individual. I tend to react when attacked and try not to cut and run. It makes for long sessions at times as today but sometimes I have time but not always. Sorry for mixed metaphors.

Lesh

I know you didn’t tell Mr T to sod off – it was a joke but perhaps if you read his posts with a less jaundiced eye you might just see him as some others do.

AC

I am trying to recall your points without having to track back through the threads but think you were mainly talking about Dulcerina. I did read his comments but not in real time. Whilst I understand why he might feel that way as an Irish National, I see no place for that type of comment on a football blog and am surprised he wasn’t banned for inflammatory remarks. Didn’t see need to add my voice to all others who had put him right. Seem to recall that I did speak with him late one Sat night when he acknowledged he was having a few and suggested he learn from the advice he had given and tone down his then contributions. He in fact did. Was his own worst enemy.

Sorry if I haven’t addressed all points but it has been a long day for me on here and I have had the time because I am unwell and not been out. Not seeking sympathy as it is nowt but has lead me to abuse the use of my time when I look back over the hours today. Hoping to be better tomorrow and out so I am sure others will wish me well to be rid of me – Arrh

Oh Mr T I see you have disengaged me – let me compliment you on a well made if late decision. You know it makes sense.

• p

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:18 PM

I really do not want McLaren, he might turn out to be a good coach – many speak highly of him but, I just don’t want him.

Unfortunately, it seems like a very Aslyesque appointment to me. Bland and mediocre.

• magscar

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:25 PM

P

Just a quick comment.

I also have reservations about McLaren and know there were few tears shed at Mbro when he left despite what he did for them earlier. There have been many since!

Don’t think he is up to the pressure of this job never mind anything else but then who is?

• manxpie

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:28 PM

I still don’t get this clamour for unheard of continental managers because they’ve had a good season in a much shiter league

tell me a few that have worked at a top 6 team?
    That’s where we want to be right?

I’d personally want someone with experience
    And remember it’s Ashley hiring with no backroom staff

• Our Toon

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:33 PM

Manxpie and fellow fans

What has history taught us under MA? Has he ever appointed anyone he didn’t know himself in key role at the club?

He will always turn to people he can control or manipulate, people that will keep with the party line. Carver isn’t to clever which is why I belive his comment of sitting in on transfers was more of a slip of the tongue which needed correcting from media that has questions pre screened by the regime. Now he gives a pre written statement on his future and transfers rather than what I consider being the truth…which he let slip initially.

Remember the regime have always stated that only the HC, Chief Scout and MD will discuss transfers…no outsiders to this. I don’t want carver nor do I believe we should go for McClaren, but I’m not daft….its carvers job, always has been and always will be. Carver has the perfect excuse as do the regime….injuries hampered Carver so we’ve decided to give him full season to prove himself.

• NezzaNUFC

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:39 PM

the BIG question is would McClaren risk his reputation coming to Newcastle?

he’s doing well at Derby and fans and players respect him so would he want to leave that kind of atmosphere to come here and in 5-10 games later with no technical approach or even a different style to modern football were us fans would be on his back in seconds?

Oh and didn’t he state that he doesn’t want to come to Newcastle only a few weeks ago?

Garde is our biggest prospect. English managers now lead to old systems which we don’t want.

• NezzaNUFC

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:41 PM

Our Toon

Don’t worry mate MA will learn his lesson when we get relegated.

• manxpie

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:43 PM

Ourtoon i disagree for the reasons I’ve already said

the club haven’t denied the 60 mill report the they were very quick to last time

For me they want this season to end as quickly as possible without any more controversy

and let carver hang himself

• NezzaNUFC

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:46 PM

Carver – will see us relegated.

McClaren – don’t know his style of yet but like any other English manager probably uses wingers most time to win games. I don’t think he can help develop youths into first team nor improve current squad.

Garde – add something different, French players on his hand big + for him and players, can develop youth into first team, has an ability to improve players better.

I know which one I’ll pick!

• NezzaNUFC

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:50 PM

manxpie

Ourtoon might have hit the nail on it’s head though, MA wants it his way not ours, give it till the end of the season until this so called 60 million pops out because like all news it’s probably false and just a way to get fans buying ST then get screwed over yet again.

• GeordieTwo

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:53 PM

McLaren will be better than Johnny C. but is that enough? Probably enough for Mike and Lee. Will we also see the squad turned over and proper players brought in? Another summer where a lot must happen to give the supporters hope for the future.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:55 PM

p – I think they plan to commence works on the new training facilities in May – with completion early next year – so I hear what you say re the current accounts – usually things are paid for after they are completed.
    Could they have earmarked/retained some cash for the project – paid for some of it already Do not know the answer myself just added a possibility.

• manxpie

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:05 AM

Nezzer it was the same last time
    so lol

• manxpie

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:07 AM

“So no lol” was wat it was supposed to post

• Mister Tuff

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:07 AM

magscar – I chose not to continue the “engagement” as I was brought up not to beat a person whilst he is down. Following gentlemanly rules. Disengagement from a victors position allows me to sniff the sweet smell of success through my nostrils, the whiff of victory has a sweet smell.
    However, I would warn you I am always ready and able to deploy the jam pot again, and dare I say it, summon the bloodhounds along with the High Five action which will activate all the blog Crusaders against you to deliver a thorough arse twanging.
    You need to behave and buy a joke book.