Ridiculous Deal Made By Mike Ashley With Rangers

Mike Ashley seems to think only of money –  morning, noon and night – and would you believe that when he loaned out five of Newcastle’s fringe players to Rangers FC at the end of January, he negotiated a £500K bonus from Rangers to Newcastle if they get promoted.

🙁

paul murray rangers

Paul Murray – interim Rangers Chairman

Yesterday Rangers posted half-year financial results through the end of December,  and they had losses of £2.6M for the period,  and that is a drop of 3.5M from a year ago.

Revenues were £13.1M.

This is a statement that Interim Chairman Paul Murray has released today:

“These results are historical and relate to a period before the new board took office,”

“The new board’s focus is on the future. We are in the process of developing a business and funding plan which will help us rebuild the club and ensure it enjoys football and commercial success in the future.”

“We will work closely with our shareholders, supporters and other stakeholders to achieve our vision of building a modern football club founded on our traditional values and standards.”

“The recovery process will take time, but if we work closely together we are confident of success.”

The financial figures released by Rangers FC show they have a liability of £500K, which will be paid to Newcastle United FC if they are promoted through the play-offs.

We loaned out Gael Bigirimana, Haris Vuckic, Kevin Mbabu, Remie Streete and Shane Ferguson to Rangers, but Haris Vuckic is the only one playing for Rangers and he’s scored five goals so far this year and played well.

But only Remie Streete has also played for Rangers this year, and that was for less than one half before he picked up a groin injury.

But it’s a very poor deal for Rangers FC, and looks even worse when four of the five Newcastle players have been injured since they were loaned out.

But of course the deal was agreed with a certain Derek Llambias, who is the former Newcastle Managing Director and a close confidante of Ashley’s – and Derek was essentially running Rangers at the time, until the Dave King takeover.

Rangers fans were upset when it was revealed they are paying £5K a week for the Newcastle players, and they will not be happy about this news.

And that is a huge understatement.

Note: Mark Hammell is an avid reader of the blog and he has signed up for 7 endurance events totaling over 600 miles, after he has just recovered from a serious ACL injury.

Mark is doing this to raise money for the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation. Here is Mark’s Justgiving page – see if you can help him out and help Bobby’s Foundation.

You can follow us on our three social media sites.

• hibbit

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:24 AM

ed we have are own problems with accounts not another set please the blog will go into melt down

• Ibizatoon

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:24 AM

So then, if Rangers get promoted we have nearly £20m to spend this summer! Only joking…honetly I am.

From previous threads (yes Ed, in the plural 🙂 )

BandB…Exactly.

BoyDoneGood…I have already answered why, many fans have little faith in anything the club does or says anymore. Is it not important, even their responsibility, to try and turn that around?

Just because we don’t see their vision, does that make us non worthy fans, who don’t deserve to have their fears put to rest?

My point was and is, given the clear bad feeling and lack of trust between the regime and many fans, would it not perhaps be helpful, preventful of furter damage, to go that extra mile and remove the uncertainty?

As you say, they have to do it anyway. Is the information not ready yet? Of course it is, but we’re getting the bits they want us to first and then we’ll get the rest in dribs and drabs.

You know, it’s hard to have a constructive discussion without all of the info.

• Ibizatoon

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:26 AM

As for the Sunderland game…

Can we win? Yes.
    Should we win? Yes
    Do I think we will win? Ermmm….
    Will we win…Ermmm….

I’m just hoping for more of what we had in that second half against Arsenal. That was a team I can get behind, one that cares and tries.

• Average_Contents

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:29 AM

Posted this on the last thread. Before Ed I might add 😉

Jesperlemon. DO NOT READ. Unless of course you think there is a connection.

Looks like if rangers get promoted they will owe us 500k. It’s written into the rangers 5 loan contracts. Is he deflecting attention away from himself and onto us, NUFC. “Look it’s them not me”

I’m sure they’ll be some Gers fans who will undoubtedly hold us responsible and scream it’s not fair.

The rest of them must see it for what it is. Mustn’t they? Nobody can be THAT blind. Can they? Mind, some of our own fans are where the slug is concerned. Cue trumpets.

Did I seriously read yesterday that we should wait until NEXT summer to see the fruits of the slugs labour? No. Just no. That’s taking the love just a tad too far.

• Graeme

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:37 AM

Ibiza @ 3 – Morning mate, you were doing great until the bit about
    “…..cares and tries.” That team has only been seen for 45 minutes in 2015 – the chances of it appearing and performing to the same level, in successive weeks, must be remote indeed.

We had two whole weeks preparing for a home game against Arsenal and in the first 45 minutes we looked like a bunch who had just met in the car-park and agreed to have a kick-about. Utter garbage.

There is absolutely no doubt that the scum will be up for this game – they are clearly flirting with relegation, the manager will want a reaction to keep him in a job – whereas, our lot, just don’t seem bothered in the slightest. I have predicted a draw, even though I so want us to win, but can also see us losing it as well – A copp-out I guess.

• hibbit

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:38 AM

ibiza the full accounts will be looked at by more then just nufc fans ashleys under the spotlight across his empire the press are taken note mp’s are now showing interest in his dealings also the institute of directors are on his back at sd

• Lindisfarne

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:45 AM

Oh to be a Southampton supporter and have an earphone manufacturer as a shirt sponsor.

• Ibizatoon

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:49 AM

Graeme…I was trying to get away from club politics for a second, then remebered why they’ve become more important to me – the team is playing like utter tripe 🙂

I just want to see commitment. They’ve shown they can – but I agree, it’s far from consistent.

Hibbit…Indeed it will come, which is my point, why not try and mend some bridges and get in nice and early with the info? Stop the speculation?

My guess and it is only that, is that they can’t – at least not without causing more outrage. If they could, why wouldn’t they? It would only help them and us.

As always with this club, if there is nothing to hide, why make it so difficult?

• Ibizatoon

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:50 AM

AC…To be fair, I think that was BandB and I talking about waiting for the following season.

It was a joke 🙂

• Ibizatoon

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:51 AM

Lindisfarne…Just looking at that Soton link. Hadn’t heard Forster was out. 9-12 months, ouch.

• SuperShearer

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:53 AM

Penfold telling me we’re going to have a great squad next season…must…buy….season…..ticket…. *wakes up, hits self in face* – I’ll believe it when I see it mate, proof is in the pudding and all that.

• hibbit

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:54 AM

the roman empire fell in a day ashleys may take a bit longer but it will fall

• BandB

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:54 AM

Against Arsenal we played well for one half in a game we lost.
    Better than playing badly in both halves and losing, but not quite as encouraging as playing well in both halves and losing.
    Definitely not as good as playing well in one half and drawing, or even playing badly in both halves and drawing. Playing well in both halves and drawing? Let’s not get hard-to-please gents.
    Oh wait….we could have played well in one half and WON…or even badly in both halves and won.
    I think….. I vaguely remember this from somewhere…..that it’s theoretically possible to play well in BOTH halves and win. I might be getting my wires crossed there, like.
    Anyway…playing well in one half and losing……should fill us all with confidence that better times are right ahead.

• Lindisfarne

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:56 AM

Ibizatoon

I seem to remember the reserve keeper likes to try a ‘Kruyf’ turn with the ball at his feet.

• Ibizatoon

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:57 AM

BandB….I am talking team spirit and effort only and what I saw in the second half against Arsenal is what I want to see going forward.

Seeing as it was only one half of a game out of almost an entire season, I’m not anticipating I will.

• beermonkey

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:57 AM

Southampton from administration to profit in 5-6 years
    an academy that most clubs envy
    they got rid of the football man (think he had a womens name) and bought in an American I think as they have all the foundations for the football they bought him in to concentrate on business and commercial deals I think they will go from strength to strength

• Lindisfarne

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:59 AM

BandB

Its an improvement on having a go in the last 20 minutes.

• BandB

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:00 AM

Ibizatoon,

I jotted that post down in the immediate aftermath of the match, when everyone was on cloud nine. I decided I’d post it later.

So it’s not a sarky response to you.

• Slank

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:03 AM

Ed, is it ‘ridiculous’ because he negotiated too little ?

• Ibizatoon

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:04 AM

BandB…That reminds me, did you get a new blog title last night to do with sarcasm?

Can’t remember it now, but I am jealous.

I get your point, whilst refreshing to see, it needs to be kept in perspective.

My guess is the club are preying for a derby victory to make any fan bad feeling melt away for a while. Then they can get on with their summer holidays…I mean summer re-building.

• BandB

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:04 AM

Lindy,

True. But people were saying it was a performance beyond our wildest dreams.

I have to admit. My dreams can get a bit wilder than that.

• Average_Contents

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:06 AM

Ibiza

I got THOSE jokes albeit poor attempts at comedy.

Can’t remember who it was but along the lines of – this is the first set of accounts with the £3.3 billion tv deal included (13-14) combined with this years (14-15 which will be released next year) should see the pot swelled considerably upon which we can spend BIG.

How many years do they wish to give him before they realise the wool has well and truly been pulled not just over their eyes but their whole body, suffocating them.

Jam next year. Cannot wait.

• Ibizatoon

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:06 AM

Just checked, it wasn’t just for you BandB, but the collective of the “blogs sarcastic bloodhounds”.

No jealousy required then!

• Lindisfarne

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:10 AM

BandB – clever

• BandB

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:10 AM

I did Ibizatoon.

I got a sudden weird feeling that there is something familiar and reassuring about magscar.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:13 AM

I think you should all look into the raising value (cost) of Gold to find the missing £28M!

…it can all be explained (as I mentioned earlier)

• Ibizatoon

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:14 AM

BandB…I know what you mean.

I’m a little dissapointed with BoyDoneGood this morning. I didn’t think I was asking anything unreasonable, but haven’t yet been given an answer, just the standard lines.

I guess it’s part of my wait and see training.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:17 AM

“In the 2011-12 school year, the University of Alabama football team generated $81.9 million in revenue, and the rest of the athletic department brought in another $42.2 million in revenue. When an athletic program is bringing in that much money, they can afford to build a new, state-of-the-art training facility.

The building which was introduced to the media this week, is 37,000 square-feet and cost $9 million to build.”

What was our costed again…oh yeah £25M and the building materials was Gold!

• Lindisfarne

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:18 AM

BandB

In the interest of equality, your comments about the Chronic journo and the club not providing a line of discourse are also perceptive.

• BandB

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:19 AM

jesper,

I think it is an invisible training centre that only true fans can see. But from what I hear from those of sufficient faith, it is very large and glistens in the Benton evening sunshine like the Golden Temple of Amritsar.

• Lindisfarne

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:21 AM

But BDG does not mention his geriatric status.

• BandB

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:21 AM

Ibizatoon,

I saw that.

It must have been vaguely redolent of your recent attempts to get another poster to stop wriggling around like an er…..politician….and give a straight answer.

• Ibizatoon

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:22 AM

An invisible training centre.

If only we’d had it before, Pardew never would have had to have the place boarded up to stop people giving away his tactics!

When you look back, you do have to laugh. If you don’t, the tears start.

• BandB

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:22 AM

Lindy,

He did ask the question. First thing this morning.

• BandB

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:22 AM

As you posted….

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:23 AM

To paint a picture for you’all this is what you can get from £20M (or bit less).

Chelsea Cobham Training Centre:
    Costing a reported £20m,(almost) the training ground is on a 140 acre site and, like a campus, it houses all of the club’s football activities, from the first team to the academy, reserve and women’s teams. It features “the latest in training, rehabilitation, medical, pitch and media technology” and its facilities include 30 football pitches (three with undersoil heating and six to Premier League standard), an indoor artificial pitch, a media centre, a medical centre, gyms, cold immersion pools, a sauna, a steam room and a 56 ft HydroWorx hydrotherapy pool.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:24 AM

If you are not getting more than that then lets face it…you have been robbed!

• BandB

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:25 AM

Ibizatoon,

Every day a dozen top young talents emerge from its gates asking for directions to the first team coach.

Unfortunately, they are invisible to lesser fans to. 🙁

1 2 3 5