Hopes Fading On Newcastle Capturing Top Target

Newcastle have been linked with Marseilles winger Andre Ayew for over two years ago, and we have even had some positive reports that Newcastle are trying hard to sign the Ghana International, who has said he wants to play in the Premier League.

Andre Ayew

Andre Ayew – Marseilles winger is fee agent in the summer

A few weeks ago we were credited with offering the 62 times capped player a good deal, including a £2M signing on fee.

But there are several big clubs in the mix for a player who becomes a free agent ion the summer , when his five year deal runs out at the south of France club, and he will not be signing an extension.

Italian outlet  Calciomercarto are reporting that there will be talks with Inter-Milan next week, with new manager Roberto Mancini is trying to build a team that can go after the Serie A title next season.

Andre’s agent is his father Adedi Pele and the report suggests that he will be in negotiations with the Inter next week.

Newcastle will struggle to sign good players this summer simply because we are very rarely in Europe these days, and in eight seasons under Mike Ashley we have qualified for Europe only once.

That will only change if Mike Ashley issues a statement that his policy at Newcastle is changing and that the top six in the league and the local Cups are now the priority.

If we win or even just get to the final in the two English Cup competitions, that’s one good way to get back into Europe,  but currently the Cups are a low priority to Ashley – the big money in the Premier League is the number one (and only) priority.

The truth is that we’ve become a second-rate team under Mike Ashley, and that’s hard to take for ambitious Newcastle fans.

Ayew had a very good World Cup in Brazil last summer, and was also in good form at the African Cup of Nations earlier this year in Equatorial Guinea.

Ghana were the losing finalists to Ivory Coast, and only lost the final 9-8 on penalties  after no goals were scored after extra time.

Andre Ayew would be a terrific buy for us, but it’s not looking good at the moment.

What do you think?

Note: Mark Hammell is an avid reader of the blog and he has signed up for 7 endurance events totaling over 600 miles, after he has just recovered from a serious ACL injury.

Mark is doing this to raise money for the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation. Here is Mark’s Justgiving page – see if you can help him out and help Bobby’s Foundation.

You can follow us on our three social media sites.

• optimistic prime

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Ed, you’ve got this wrong!

Jeff says he’s on a pre contract, so why would his agent be going for talks with inter?

• Jeff from Benwell

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:11 AM

• Jeff from Benwell

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:23 AM

Porto , Moenchengladbach ,and the Toon all have something in common , they all have ageing centrebacks and are weak on the left of defence.
    Hence they are all chasing this guy (among others )

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:30 AM

Jeff…what am I going to be watching on YouTube?

Ed…I swear to God you had a similar article on the same player not so long ago!

• beermonkey

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:41 AM

well that’s not nice
    I didn’t know it was april 1st
    I my defence the pub ran out of krony last night and I had to drink stella and stella always gives me a foggy head in the morning

but hands it got me
    eds a bad man

• optimistic prime

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:43 AM

Beer

Hahaha, I read the headline and thought BS, then twigged April fools.

Bet there’s 1000’s read that and haven’t realised!

• beermonkey

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:53 AM

prime

I have taken some comfort from the fact I wont be alone

BUT and its a big but I nipped over the café for some all healing breakie and txt a couple of toon mates and gave them a brief outline

• optimistic prime

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:54 AM

Beer

Hahahaha, I hope they don’t shoot the messenger 😉

• beermonkey

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:56 AM

prime

I will be getting some stick for this one for a while lol

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:00 AM

On topic,
    We chased Gomis and Remy for years only for them to leave for the highest offer, the type of player who would run his contract down against the wishes of his club might not possibly be this holier than thou type character we only profess to sign.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:01 AM

Beer,
    I wouldn’t worry. Lee Ryder is probably busy copying it verbatim as an NUFC exclusive.

• optimistic prime

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:01 AM

Beer

Bet you felt all optimistic with a bounce in your step on way to cafe.

Then wallop, flat as a pancake.

I’m sure Ashley will make a similar statement soon enough 😉

• Jeff from Benwell

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:05 AM

This article says a few things about Ayew
    1 Marseilles accept he ie gone in June
    2 Both Milan teams now fancy him
    3 It seems to be between us and Everton in the PL
    4 The best personal terms will get him.

He seems to be a hell of a leader and might be worth Colo type wages.
    Having said that MYM was supposed to be leadership material but did not make the grade.

• martoon

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:07 AM

I must admit it had me fooled until I read some the comments. I notice its appearing on Newsnow so it will probably fool quite a few more yet.
    To football – I’m presuming Janmaat came through unscathed last night – I know he played the full game, anybody read anything about him?

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:10 AM

Off topic,
    LFG,
    I don’t know a lot about Garde but what makes me want us to sign him is that to persuade him to come there might have to be concessions to that monotone and emotionless job description issued by The Board and outlined by Lee Charnley.
    The reason I don’t want Mclaren is simply because we have to rely on his failure to get Derby promoted, this automatically tells everyone from the ball boys up that we have a loser in charge.

• beermonkey

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:13 AM

prime

there was a sign outside the pub with a list of matches coming up and the usual teams on there like man u cheslea and did think to myself
    ha ha ha Ashley says were coming to get you

so now back to reality and doom and gloom is there any good news

• optimistic prime

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:16 AM

Beer

Wes Browns out for the derby!

• martoon

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:17 AM

JFA @15 – Yeah I must admit I’m not sure about McClaren either but saying that surely most managers that are available have failed or been sacked at their previous clubs which is why they are available!!

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:24 AM

Martoon,
    I’m sure if you went through a list, most successful managers would have been compoed away or left for a new challenge. Not many clubs hire sacked league one managers who have a history of relegating clubs and shagging players wives.

• optimistic prime

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:26 AM

JFA

Players who run their contracts down and have a number of suitors won’t be signing for us.

This lads decent, he’ll want a decent offer from a ambitious club, it’s not like we’ll offer him a better wage to compensate for our lack of ambition.

Even to use us as a stepping stone must be a huge career risk.

• martoon

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:34 AM

JFA @19 – I can’t think who you are referring to 🙂
    In the case of McClaren we would have pay compo so that puts him on your successful manager list!

• JamesToon

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:51 AM

Re mcclaren

He has a decent record, but i think the reason why the majority of NUFC fans want a coach like Garde/Tuchel/De Boer/Favre is because they don’t want the same old boring english coach, we want someone young(ish) with fresh new ideas and want to reshape the club from top to bottom. I don’t think mcclaren is the man to do that, we’re relying on him to FAIL at derby (not getting promoted) and he’s been known to play long ball (boro) who’s to say he won’t revert back to long ball with us?

Fans just want someone fresh and exciting, a change from the usual boring crap of english managers

• hibbit

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:54 AM

can any one tell me why Mcclaren would take the newcastle job what makes it a better job then derby

• DokToon

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:09 PM

effin ed…

got me good on that ashley post… I hate you, lmao…

just kidding…

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:10 PM

Martoon,
    I know you’re kidding but see JamesToon post for my answer to that.
    Hibbit,
    Why would he ? Unless he was prepared to take Ashleys hush money then what could possibly be the attraction that has pretty much stated it doesn’t want to win anything.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:10 PM

???
    To come to a club

• MrMojoRisin76

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:18 PM

That’s the second time beer has made me p1ss myself this week.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:28 PM

Was beermonkey being seriooos

• optimistic prime

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:30 PM

We are top of the league, we are top of the league!
    Who says NUFC don’t want to win anything?

• Average_Contents

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:30 PM

Jfa

Sounded like it lmfao. Poor Beermonkey.

Old age that mojo

• martoon

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:30 PM

JFA @25 – Actually when I read JamesToon ‘s post he has put into words why I am unsure about McClaren. So execellent post JamesToon 🙂

• beermonkey

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:41 PM

jail

shamefully it got me

• Mister Tuff

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:41 PM

I do not want McLaren – probably he’s not even in the running and has not been contacted apparently and his chairman says he’s not going anywhere -so probably a non story.
    My memories of him are the wally with the brolly, dull teams -nothing to shout about. He does seem to have done ok overseas -bit like Hodgson I suppose in that respect. True football people – but dull and non inspirational.
    Keegan type is needed -to bring excitement and hope back to the club.

• Wayayman

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:47 PM

After watching the stream of the last game V Arsenal, I have been having nightmares since the camera focussed in on David O’Leary sat in the stands. Shudder. I just wouldnt put it past Ashley either, not with his track record. When Kinnear, then Pardew came in we all we’re speculating as to who the new man would be and I for one had some high-hopes. Since living under this Geordiphobe I haven’t had a single hope raised after Keegan was given the bullet. Nothing leads me to think it will change, so i will prepare to be disappointed and humiliated in equal parts until Ashley leaves.

Such a shame, we could have been great together if Mash wasn’t so short-sighted and petty.

• JamesToon

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:49 PM

martoon 30

why thank you

• Wayayman

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:50 PM

Bt the way, I know Sam Rush personally and he’s one competitive bloke and very astute and intelligent too. If he doesn’t want McClaren to leave he will fight tooth and nail to hang on to him. I hope he succeeds!

• JamesToon

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:53 PM

wayayman
    wasn’t o’leary the one who spent nearly 100mil with leeds and failed with them

• optimistic prime

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:55 PM

I was reading Micky Quinns article about losing to the mackems in the play offs.

I rember it well the doom and gloom and how gutted I felt, things went from bad to worse as it looked like we’d end up relegated and then the inspired choice of Keegan who lifted the whole city.

We need a inspired choice now as new HC.

Someone who can unite the fans and the club, over to you Ashley.

• Jeff from Benwell

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:59 PM

Tuff
    Unfortunately for the world and particularly for Toon fans , King Kev and his 1st tenure as manager will never be replicated .It was just an unbelievably fortunate combination of circumstances . Inspirational or jammy by SJH we’ll never know , anyone who partook of the wonderful ride that , that era was , can count themselves fortunate.
    Keegan couldn’t even recapture it at other clubs , although there were glimpses at Fulham.
    Ashley to his credit gave it a shot , his handling of it is now the cause of much bad feeling between fans , he then gave it a go with Shearer which was a signal failure by all parties.
    Never revisit the past , enjoy the memories , and move on .

• Mister Tuff

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:01 PM

I was reading some Rangers stuff last night -it was revealed that Bishop had been doing PR work for Rangers (more likely Mr Tubbs) and up until Christmas had been paid -think it was £57,000. So clearly some PR work being done.
    I wonder what he has been doing for the Toon and if so what.
    Would be a decent Fans Forum question -have the club used Bishops services and what for.