Coach Talks About The Good Times – But It’s All In The Past

John Carver has been the assistant manager at Newcastle for two spells, under Sir Bobby Robson and more recently under Alan Pardew, and at the moment he is the interim head coach at the club  and he may even get the job permanently in the summer, but if he does it will not be because of his record.

john carver - up close

John Carver – poor record at Newcastle

John has been in charge of the team for 12 games this year, and we have seven losses and only two wins – which is not good by anybody’s measure.

And John has reminisced about some of the good times he’s witnessed at the club and the derby games with Sunderland when he was talking at Wallsend Boys Club:

“Craig Bellamy’s winner against Feyenoord to get us through to the group stages of the Champions League in 2002… the hairs on the back of my are standing up thinking about it.”

“Shearer’s goals are right up there. That volley of his against Everton, when Shola Ameobi headed it down and he smashed it in. Wonderful.” “How about that one where he out-muscled Marcel Desailly against Chelsea and stuck it in the top corner?”

“This is a game that can make a Newcastle player a legend. That is what happens if you score a winner against Sunderland. You can become an icon in one game by scoring a special goal.”

“The last four games, we have not won against Sunderland.” “We have some injuries but if we perform like we did in the second half against Arsenal we won’t be far short. We will try everything in our powers to stop them.”

““I have five years left on my assistant manager’s eight-year contract, so when this role runs out I can go back to that.” That is still there, to kick in if I don’t get this full time – I have a job if I become assistant again.”

“But I want this job full-time, so I am not thinking about that.”  “I am 50 now. I want to be a manager, and this is the right age.” “I will stay here at Newcastle unless something remarkable comes up.”

So most of those good times John mentions at the beginning are way back in the past, when we actually had a good side.

But the four successive defeats to Sunderland for the first time in history are ongoing, and the Black Cats could even make that five in a row on Sunday.

And that’s even though they’ve been fighting relegation when we’ve played them the last four times, and Sunderland are fighting relation again, with just eight games to play.

We’ll have to see how we play on Sunday, but we don’t take too much notice of the Sunderland players telling their fans they will win the game, and  Newcastle players telling our fans they will win the game.

And we’ve found out many times before that talk is cheap, and results are all that matters in football.

And so far this year neither club has had the results – but there’s a possibility for one of the clubs to get a win on Sunday, and that will at least keep their fans happy for a week or two.

We hope that’s Newcastle.

Note: Mark Hammell is an avid reader of the blog and he has signed up for 7 endurance events totaling over 600 miles, after he has just recovered from a serious ACL injury.

Mark is doing this to raise money for the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation. Here is Mark’s Justgiving page – see if you can help him out and help Bobby’s Foundation.

You can follow us on our three social media sites.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 3, 2015 at 1:20 AM

Ref the previous thread -if true about 4 senior players wanting away -this is not good news on two front.
    1. Similar status players will wonder why the exodus and not sign for us.
    2. Replacing these players -at a stroke -will be very very difficult.

I had thought that the club might be hoding back some “jam for tomorrow” good news stories – for next week in case we get beat on Sunday.
    Going from bad to worse at the minute.

• MacToon

Apr 3, 2015 at 1:42 AM

The Chrony’s “chief sports writer” Lee Ryder believes we made a profit because of Cabaye’s sale – unbelievable – and no mention of the unexpected low amount.
    If you can bear it, watch the video interview.

• expatmag

Apr 3, 2015 at 2:26 AM

Hello Tuff

Krul….replaced by Darlow
    Tiote……replaced by Abeid
    Sissoko replaced by Aarons
    Cisse replaced by Arnstrong

40 million quid in Ashleys back pocket

• Mister Tuff

Apr 3, 2015 at 2:57 AM

expat – evening/morning how’s things.
    hope your predictions are not correct otherwise were right in the claggy.
    Now off to the pit.

• lesh

Apr 3, 2015 at 3:07 AM

Distractions, distractions!

No decent manager/ HC whatever you want to call him;

Four players looking for out;

A small question of £25m or so?

Thanks yet again Mr Ashley…..

🙁

• NOVA2967

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:07 AM

I remember my high school years…

• NOVA2967

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:12 AM

I moved a away… witnessed the world…. my old friends stayed the same… stayed home… never understood success…. Yet, I served around the world…. learned different values and how life kept moving… it doesn’t matter… who or what…. but everything came back to now….aka…. now…. what are you doing….John Carver…what are you doing

• NOVA2967

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:16 AM

Is SBR your life… the greatest moment you had…. he was for me… well, NUFC style… I also realized that time will run its course… you will move on… a great passionate assistant…. but if this is your time…. do something… anything… do it….because you sound like a broken record…

• NOVA2967

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:24 AM

Cabella looked amazing last game… Colback… a joke…overrated and sissoko can’t play CM… has no passing ability… what do we do….

Ohhh wait we also don’t have wingers… and Perez was voted the best attacking midfield last year….

The team is as bad as England… Barry and Carrick are better than the current Henderson and Delph… I won’t include Phil Jones…never mind Stevie G and Lamps…. don’t understand Colback getting a call up…. how bad are we

• NOVA2967

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:32 AM

What more interesting is looking at if clubs kept teams together…

Could you imagine if ManU keep Rooney/Tevez with Ronaldo… Pogba has moved in at CM… maybe even bought Bale for 10 mill… how much have they spent that doesn’t come close to this

Arsenal… Fab…Song… would win them the league….nasri could go to the mLS….joker….

NUFC with Cabeye and TIote would have NUFC in the top 6 and maybe better…. Demba Ba…way better than Remy

Liverpool with Suarez could of taken over Europe for the next 10 years…. if sturridge wasn’t a gimp..if liverpool could steal pogba would be great… FU manU… .

• cyprus

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:36 AM

According to some commentors on this blog, it’s good news Sissoko wants out. I’m speechless.

Ed, I quote you:
    ‘he considered leaving Newcastle for a bugger club.’ 🙂 Boy, have we fallen if he prefers a bugger club.

On Carver, love his passion. Dude, get me 4 wins and a draw and the job is yours. Include the next game in those wins.

• cyprus

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:40 AM

BTW John,
    if I may, since many players, coaches admit to reading social media: some advice: don’t keep saying I have my other job waiting. That’s a safety net and you are preparing yourself to fail. Whenever you are asked, always say you are concentrating on the job at hand. Nothing else.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:13 AM

Speaking of the devil! I come on here and Belfast refuse any part in Skunki’s disappearance (haven’t we heard that one before 🙂 ) and suddenly John Irving appears as well!

Senor Tuff…I thought you had rid this place of tricksters?

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:33 AM

Can anyone tell me why in the Premiershit only play ONE game over the Easter period now – use to be two games a home and away.
    And guess what Manure Utd are at home

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:37 AM

Charlie…I don’t know, but I think you should scrap the January games and remove two teams from the PL!

…too many games, January is too cold any way and fatigue usually starts to kick in. Would be good for English football

• scout

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:46 AM

Personally hope Sunderland go down, their fans are the smuggest in the country

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:54 AM

jesper
    totally agree the make up of Premieship games is a joke !!!!!!
    when the weather is cold, dark f*in freezing in December/January we played 10 Premiership games – over a quarter of the season plus two cup games when players are more susceptible to injuries, travelling to and from matches in poor weather – CRAZY.
    And only play 11 games in March, April and May – CRAZY !!!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:00 AM

Charlie…in Denmark the season stops half way through December and stats up again late February or early March.

Maybe a bit radical, but the weather here is not that different from yours unless you live down south and it’s basically French standards 😉

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:14 AM

jesper
    Maybe the Danish FA are sensible !!!

• cyprus

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:15 AM

Jesper,
    so what we gonna do during those cold winter months? Let them play man, they get paid enough. And anyway, as in Germany, it becomes like two different leagues that way, no real flow.
    They could reduce the games at xmas to ‘normal’ though.

• Average_Contents

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:17 AM

Let’s hope something remarkable comes up then johnny boy….oh wait.

• optimistic prime

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:19 AM

If there wasn’t pointless England friendlies every 3weeks it might be possible to get a winter break.

That will never happen because the English FA are greedy ******** a bit like Ashley and would rather have a Mickey Mouse game at Wembley to expand their coffers than use any common sense.

• firebug666

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:22 AM

JC “But I want this job full-time, so I am not thinking about that.” “I am 50 now. I want to be a manager, and this is the right age.” “I will stay here at Newcastle unless something remarkable comes up.”

Let’s hope something remarkable does happen John, getting the sack perhaps.

• optimistic prime

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:33 AM

““I have five years left on my assistant manager’s eight-year contract, so when this role runs out I can go back to that.” That is still there, to kick in if I don’t get this full time – I have a job if I become assistant again.”

The assistant manager role no longer exists once we bring in a HC, if I was John I’d check how water tight my contract was.

The HC job has different roles and responsibilities than a managers, so I’d say the assistants is different to along with a different title. It’s a whole different job really, JC getting redundancy?

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:35 AM

Optimistic
    Quite true with the pointless friendlies disrupt the season.
    My biggest gripe is the scheduling of games. The xmas period 5 games in 15 days then we have only one game over the Easter period – would like to see one of the xmas games moved to Easter.
    Also played Premiership 3 games in September, 3 games in October the scheduling is CRAZY – needs a fans forum or something like that to have a say in how the games are scheduling.

• optimistic prime

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:41 AM

Charlie

I wonder how much say sky have on this.
    We all know fans aren’t considered when scheduling of matches occurs, maybe it’s there big draw for new customers over Xmas period.

I’m sure it’s been discussed by FA the tv people etc and has been left as is, even moving one or two games would make a massive difference.

• lochinvar

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:32 AM

Coaches talk about the good times ?
    Remember the winter of ’47 ?
    Remember the Coronation ?
    Remember drinking in The Haymarket ?
    Remember remember the 5th of November ?
    All very well JC but we are living in the here and now and I would like the bairns to be able to remember the good times for the club in 2015 onwards, the electric atmosphere at SJP, winning against top sides, thrashing smaller sides, powerful players, great goals, winning trophies, travelling to Barcelona, Madrid and Rome ( and not on holiday ) or is that too much to ask ? Is AMBITION too long a word for you ?