Sunderland Could Finish Above Newcastle This Season

With the humiliating 5th defeat in a row at Sunderland yesterday, Newcastle have now lost the last four league games, and in our last 8 games we have taken only 5 points out of the 24 available.

And that’s a terrible record.

🙁

john carver sunderland

John Carver – on touchline yesterday
Fans also had had their head in their hands yesterday

Not surprisingly, since Alan Pardew left we have slipped to 13th place from 9th place in the league, and unless we can get a couple of wins soon, we will continue to plummet down the league table.

We are in free-fall at the moment with our next game at Liverpool.

And as bad off as Sunderland looked before the game yesterday, they are now only 6 points behind Newcastle with a manager who knows what he is doing.

So Sunderland could even finish above Newcastle this season, unless John Carver, his coaching staff and the players can start to get their act together.

Always assuming we have enough players left who can get their act together.

John Carver looks to be a man completely out of his depth right now, and he was out-coached by Dick Advocaat yesterday.

Dick has been in management since 1980 and has wide experience, having managed more than 20 teams in his long and successful career as a manager – he showed all that experience yesterday.

John Carver was stand-in manager last year when Alan Pardew was suspended, and we lost six of the seven games he was caretaker manager on the touchline, and of course we also lost seven of our last eight games.

Its deja vu all over again this season.

The one win we had in those seven games was when we beat Crystal Palace with a stoppage time winner from Papiss Cisse and won the game 1-0.

Here’s John’s woeful record so far this year.

CompetitionPlayedWonDrawnLostGFGAGDPoints
League1934121835-1713
FA Cup100101-1
Overall2034131836-1813

It’s not good, but it’s not John who we should blame – it’s those running the club at the top and they made huge mistakes in January which has led us to this rather perilous position Newcastle fin themselves in.

When we played at Everton three games ago we were 7 points above them in the league table, but they have won their last three games and are now 2 points above us.

It’s not beyond the realm of possibility that Dick Advocaat’s team can now finish above Newcastle in the league this season.

If both teams continue their form of yesterday that’s what will happen.,

It’s all very scary right now for Newcastle fans.

You can follow us on our three social media sites.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:51 AM

Santon…at least I am not trying to draw parallels between your point of view and what happens at QPR!

…you are just being a pi$$-taker when all I did was answering your question about what I would do!

Act like that (Manx style) and you can talk to someone else. Are we clear?

• JAMSHA(CARVER SLAYER)

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:54 AM

LEAV THE CLUB JC U MO***

• AccyToon1

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:55 AM

What do people think we need at the back. I think Colo, Willo and Saylor all go bring in 2 solid CB’s as we have Dummett and the lad from Forest coming plus kids CB sorted. Then a LB & RB to challenge Haddie lad and Janmatt and the back is sorted.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:55 AM

Jesper
    He has to go today so the club can get a permanent manager in for the Spuds game so he can start work seeing what players he has and want to play for the TOON – because middle of the transfer window is to late.

What got my back up yesterday was when we had a free kick in the first half we only had four players in and around the box. Every free kick corner they had we had eleven players back defending so when we cleared they pick up the ball.

Going for a nil nil draw at Stadium of shite where they had previously only won two games WAS A JOKE

• Ron Knee

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:55 AM

Lilongwe
    You’re quite right, but I can’t see Carver stepping down. He’d probably say something along the lines of ‘I can’t leave the team in the lurch’.
    Anyway, if he did go, who would replace him? Beardsley?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:56 AM

Name calling? You most have confused me with someone else. Nice try by the way!

• optimistic prime

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:58 AM

They wanted it more, end of.
    The ref didn’t help us, but we deserved nothing and got nothing.

Congratulations to Ashley and carver for turning us into a joke club.

Congratulations to the idiots who think everything is ok.

• Lindisfarne

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:59 AM

The ‘Coaching Team’ were a digrace yesterday, blank expressions, yawning and no premeditated game plans. All trying to look blameless in the face of a sure defeat from the starting whistle. It just showed how pointless their existance at the club is and if that is evidence of how they behave all the time, they should all be put on gardening leave. Just not good enough.

• Reyantoon

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:59 AM

Hmmm good news?
    There is no good news until we clean sweep the head coach together with the backroom staff!!
    I don’t care where we finish, even 17th will be fine by me as long as we are safe!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:00 AM

Accy…we probably need two new solid CB as you say and a young RB. We should be alright at LB with Haidara and Dummett ad backup.

But it all depends on who leaves I think?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:01 AM

Ron Knee,
    Even if he stays for the remainder of the season, at least if he pulled out from wanting it permanently then the board would be able to openly go about getting a new man in place ready for the summer.

• ilovetoon8788

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:02 AM

I’m at a point now where really, I wouldn’t care if we lost our so called “star players”. All are rubbish. Sissoko krul etc. Get the cash from them and invest in players who has the balls.

• optimistic prime

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:03 AM

What I need is a face to face with Ashley carver and Charnley, so I can thrash a few things out.

• Ron Knee

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:04 AM

Lilongwe
    There’s an interesting moral dilemma for John ‘I bleed black and white’ Carver!

• hibbit

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:05 AM

op not many ashley lovers about…….. even the blind can see

• nut meg

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:05 AM

Lilo last thread
    100% correct. And, I STILL don’t know what system Carver is trying to play. It looks the same as Pardew used to set up……..confusing…school playground stuff with no sing of any clarity or improvement anytime soon.Somebody help me please,i’m having too many restless nights.

• Lindisfarne

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:10 AM

To show some strong leadership Charnley should publically discount JC from the permanent HC role. They have more than enough reason NOT to wait until the end of the season to only make the same decision.

• optimistic prime

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:10 AM

Hibbit

It’s a miracle

• one fine day

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:12 AM

Watching us is as painfull as I think it’s ever been .
    The players should have back there wages for the week after this and refunds given to anyone who was unfortunate to travel to the dark place and endure that humiliation. Players saying they are hurting too is not fu@@ing enough.
    The club is simply rotten to the core and this team now look even more desperate and (disturbingly)disinterested than what we saw in the relegation season.
    Saddest of all is that I don’t see where or how any of those at the core can change this or are capable of it .
    Anyone thinking spending 60 mil in the summer ( as if ?) will solve everything is dillusional under our current set up .
    The entitle coaching team and 90 of playing staff need to go, however this being newcastle the only players worth keeping will be sold first leaving us with the wills and goofus as our new “spine” next year .brilliant
    We may hang on to jonas as he has championship experince

• hibbit

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:13 AM

in my mind its not just carver and his staff charnley and carr just bow down to ashley……. to kill a snake you have to chop off its head ASHLEY OUT

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:14 AM

Nut meg,
    Supersport over here had it down as a 4141, which in fairness didn’t look too far off. But with so many players playing out of their comfort zone and normal position it just looked a joke. Guti played as a right back in a World Cup and isn’t a centre mid, or holding mid so why play a sentry mid at full back?

Not just blaming Carver and the coaching staff, they can’t have envisaged how abhorrent some of the performances were going to be. I think Sissoko must be terrified of Clattermole and Larrsson as he goes hiding every time. For a bloke of his size it is embarrassing that he is weaker than watered down fosters.

Gouffran, another out of position should never be more than a back up player in the Prem, he had a reasonable start to his time here, but he just isn’t that good. Same for Rivi, although I’m not sure he is good enough for back up.

Sammi undid all of his own reasonable efforts at getting a new contract with an absolutely shameful display. His brother wasn’t the greatest, but he never shied away from the derby matches like that.

Perez should have scored, but didn’t really get into the game. Cabella was poor, another who like Sissoko just hid most of the game.

Very few players can look at that and say they gave all they could.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:15 AM

Yesterday was the first full game of ours I’ve watched for weeks, been sticking to just checking the score or catching goals on the news as I have interest in watching a team simply turn out waiting for the season to end.

I’m not angry with the players for what seems a total lack of ability/effort, if I played for a club where I had little emotional attachment (as most of them do) I wouldn’t be putting the effort in when we are told surviving and getting knocked out of the cup is our only ambition….why push yourself , the club’s (Ashley’s) policy is the reason we are a total shambles.

As for Carver, well I was wrong, there are managers much much worse than Pardew, I thought he might be similar level but it’s gotten worse. Seem rubbish of knocking the ball around at the back then not being able to spot a pass so hoofing it long….it’s not even a well though out long ball.

Look at yesterday, so many long balls to perez who won’t win them but the odd time he does there was nobody near to flick on.

Compare that to QPR’s first goal on Saturday. They had 3 up front, the kick goes long and Zamora goes deeper to meet the first ball, flicks on towards austin who in turn flicks towards vargas….by no means as accurate as playing the ball on the floor, but at least there is a plan for their long ball.

• LGFUAD21

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:16 AM

This team is worse than the one that got relegated.

I hope I never see Gouffran in a newcastle shirt again. He’s not fit for it.

Why did carver leave a clearly knackered jonas on the field as our only defensive midfielder when we had abeid on the bench

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:16 AM

Charlie…I would agree and I do hope Ashley and Mini Ashley are considering hard what to do next! But they need to take responsibility for this charade and make it right (that’s probably where I have my doubts 🙂 )

• Ron Knee

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:18 AM

Lindisfarne
    But if they publicly discount JC he might get demotivated, which would have a negative impact on the team’s superb performances!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:18 AM

Ron…didn’t Carver say something like ‘my position is permanent until I am told otherwise ‘?

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:18 AM

nutmeg
    Must admit I had a shit night’s sleep going over the game and yesterday’s capitulation and where we are going.
    I must of seen about 30 Tyne Wear derbies and that was the worst display I have seen from a Newcastle United sorry disunited team

Carver record absolute shambles:
    Premiership played 12
    won 2
    lost 7
    drew 3
    scored 11 against 22

Going for 5 defeats in a row is that another record of defeats in a row could go to 8 because I can’t see us getting anything out of the Bindippers game and the home games against the Spurs and Swansea

• Transfer Sage

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:19 AM

Lilongwe

I agree the players didn’t turn up by why would you, if the club ban you from playing in the cups saying you are injured or need a rest, then why are you going to give your all for a team like that…I’d not be happy and committed if my employers did something similar.

Goes back to the story I heard for the 3rd round FA cup tie at leicester, all players fit for the premier league game before, come the FA cup tie there are 7 injuries, all to key men, they are all then fit for the game the following week. My uncle has a grandson who plays for the academy and Beardsley told him personally that as a result of that senior lads refused to travel to the game, refusing to support the club as they were being stitched up, not allowed to play.

Is it any wonder we get such little commitment for derbies with that apathy the players have for those running the show.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:22 AM

LGFUAD21

I was totally baffled, saw the game in a pub and didn’t know the bench til I got home (other than the subs who came on).

What baffled me is why did we have gouff and jonas in the middle when we had two players in anita and abeid on the bench, as well as colback left back.

Sunderland had no pace in their team so I’m sure Jonas and Raylor could do a job at fullback, leaving colback to play in the middle.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:24 AM

TS…good to see you again!

…couldn’t agree more (and even if I didn’t still good to ser you 😉 )

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:25 AM

Sage,
    I get that, but where is the professional pride? If they don’t mind losing they shouldn’t be playing competitive sport for a living. Sissoko is dreaming of Arsenal and PSG? He would struggle to get in their reserves based on his performances since joining us.

Jonas was poor, but at least he tried. He was the defensive shield, and the only one trying to carry the ball forward in the first half.

I can forgive losing, but I can’t forgive a total lack of effort and pride. If they can’t muster the effort, drop them. Give the kids a chance, at least they would put a shift in. How much worse could it really get?

• nut meg

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:33 AM

One stand out comment from the commentator was in the second half. He said that Newcastle’s lone striker Perez was playing 15yds in FRONT of his own penalty box.The head shaking moment for me was when we had a free kick near the halfway line again in the second half late on. Sissoko tapped the ball sideways to Williamson a full 5 yds…now i think we all know that MW is NOT the creative force that could change the game for us….at that point i had another beer.

• lochinvar

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:41 AM

Why can’t we play in our black and white stripes when away at Mackem land ?

• sickandtired