Contingency Plans Should Be Made In Case This Happens

As the teams below us and even just above us are winning games, things are looking a little bit scary at the moment with Newcastle having lost their last four games and the only time we looked good was in that second half against Arsenal – but we still lost the game.

fab coloccini everton 3-2 at home

Fab Coloccini – back for game against Tottenham

Sunderland did the savvy think after they sacked Gus Poyet by bringing in an experienced coach, Dick Advocaat, and it may pay off for them, because Dick had Sunderland playing very well against Sunderland have 3 points from his first two games in charge.

And Alan Pardew’s Crystal Palace won their third game in a row last night at home to Manchester City, and they and Everton, who have also won their last three games, are now above Newcastle in the league table.

The last thing Newcastle should be doing is panicking, and yesterday John Carver had this to say about the dire situation at the club:

“We’ve only got 35 points – you need 40 points.” “We’ve got seven games left, and we are down to the bare bones.”

“You are thinking where the next points are coming from, but we have to turn this around somehow.”

“I am just looking for the next win and the next game,” “I’m not thinking about the end of the season.”

“I have to come up with something along with my staff to do that, and a lot of thought will go into it.” “It’s only been a short time, but it has to be the worst day in my managerial career,”

“It’s the manner that hurts me more than anything else.” “If we had a go and put balls into the box and made their keeper make saves, then I would say at least we had a go. But I can’t say that.”

Newcastle were simply a disgrace on Sunday, after all the hype that went on, and that was especially true in the first half and the lack of commitment is the thing that’s very worrying.

Newcastle should be putting a contingency plan in place in case John Carver continues to lose games.

We have no chance at Liverpool in the next game, but we then have two home games after that against Tottenham and Swansea – and if we lose those games we could even be in relegation trouble.

Coloccini will be back for the Tottenham and hopefully that will help.

But we really need just a couple of wins to be safe – even though it looks like we could finish in 14th place or even lower than that in the league

We are not saying the move should be made now, but somebody should be lined up in case the worst case scenario happens, and we say lose the next three games.

A coach could come in much like Terry Venables came in to help Bryan Robson at Middlebrough in 2o01,  and helped keet them in the Premier League.

Bryan Robson was then fired that summer, and Steve McClaren came in.

A win in one of the next three games will definitely relieve the situation big time, but we remember last season that we lost seven of our last eight games.

A relegation is very unlikely but still possible if the bottom sides go on a winning streak, and Newcastle say lose their last seven games.

But that’s still a very remote possibility.

What do you think?

You can follow us on our three social media sites.

• optimistic prime

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:10 AM

Jfa

Spot on.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:14 AM

Excellent article in today’s Chronicle by the ‘Mighty Quinn’ on the state of Newcastle and it’e demise. also good article in the Independent on Sunday’s game and the attitude and gain the transfer dealings at the TOON.

I would say if nothing changes this summer we are relegation favourites.

I also wonder if Carver has lost the dressing room bit like the Mackems against Villa and didn’t bother as they wanted Poyet out.

NORCAL
    I apologize for re-posting your write up but I agree with your sentiments but – I meant to say last post I was on the fence about Pardew I thought he was OK would of liked him to stay but if he went fair enough, but I understand your sentiments and reasons.

“While I was fully behind getting rid of Pardew, it was for a mix of reasons. His tactics were becoming increasingly negative, he was over-reliant on certain players, and he was obviously disillusioned with the NUFC fanbase. Any of us would have trouble doing our job with most of an entire city rallied against us, nitpicking our every mistake and micro-analyzing our every word.

Footie fans will NEVER know what it means to be a manager unless they were one, and that’s just facts. If being an armchair critic were such a valuable trait, companies wouldn’t care about your employment credentials and experience would be void.

But there were many – who in their frustrated, child-like fits, needed to a target to relentlessly bash and Pardew was the easy choice. Truth is people will always find something to moan about. And Pardew’s gone and here we are, and there Palace are…”

I thought Pardew was a decent manager who at times said daft things but I felt sorry for him – He was the only person in the club to front up to the press.
    Had his hands tied behind his back on choice of players brought into the club and sold, players who he most likely did not want in his team yet had to play them and got results.
    And most likely with that mid term run of wins has kept us in the premiership.

• Laurent Robert 32

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:14 AM

This kisses that are being blown to Pinocchio for his usual initial run of form at a new club are cringe worthy.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:17 AM

Jeff,
    Of course the TV money has changed the game, not necessarily for the better. City have invested heavily into youth, but it takes more than a few years to achieve something there. We will see who comes through their system, although at the moment, they are equally likely to go down the route that Chelsea have. Produce and buy talented youngsters, develop them for a year or two before selling them, allowing you to compete and adhere to FFP.

I’ve seen the rumours about Red Bull, but an executive came out and said they were not interested in any club in England, and weren’t looking to buy a club. Red Bull aim for success, but they will have real problems if they achieve it in Germany, Austria and here – who gets Europe?

Mag52,
    Please show me evidence that backs up your assertion? When has he in the past achieved success, even with reasonable backing? Brief patches, but nothing remotely sustained. West Ham? Southampton? Charlton? Nope.

I couldn’t care less how he does at Palace, it has no bearing on his time here which was turgid and fully aligned to Ashley’s wishes for the club. I only brought it up in response to Reyan as he has been moaning about English managers for a while now.

Pardew is history, and good riddance. I hope Palace stay up next season, decent club, but beyond that whatever happens there is meaningless when analysing Pardew’s time here and is irrelevant to Newcastle United.

• Obertan's better than Messi

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:19 AM

I hope we go down.

ASHLEY OUT!

• Obertan's better than Messi

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:20 AM

Down as many divisions as it takes …

ASHLEY OUT!

• Jeff from Benwell

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:21 AM

Yup
    It is a very remote possibility

• lesh

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:22 AM

“It’s important I stay focused and work with the group of players that I have got to get the best out of them.” says Mr Carver.

Might I suggest he stays well away from the players and let them organise themselves? They couldn’t do much worse.

‘ NOW LET ME TELL YOU……!’ reminds me of Iain Paisley during one of his rants

Referring to the previous post and Carver’s comments about Santon, I wonder who the hell’s advising Carver on PR and media matters?

I wonder if it’s occurred that by coming out over Santon, he’s clearly tied his colours to Ashley’s mast and in the process of trying to get the HC job, alienated 50000 fans!

What a clown! No, what a bunch of clowns!

• optimistic prime

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:30 AM

I’m not to sure relegation is unlikely, every game under John it looks more and more likely.

• Fostino

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:32 AM

carver a fool. the santon incident is a clear example.

a good manager would settle santon down and bide his time but carver the total tea man saw it as an opportunity to stamp his authority on the squad and sell one of our most naturally talented players, one of our most attacking treats for nothing. ashley was only delighted to see more money come in. carver went with dummett and haidira …and now both are crocked……well done John

• Obertan's better than Messi

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:42 AM

Santon was settled in the North East with his lass and a baby.

Great man-management to force out the best full-back we have.
    So he phoned his agent …

a) ignore him he’s under contract.
    b) get some money in and get his wages off the books

So screw the fans, the team, get the money every time.
    That’s why we’re crap.
    Back to absolute dross.

all down to ASHLEY!

I really do hope we go down so we can get this leech off our backs.

• Reyantoon

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:43 AM

Lil
    I didn’t slag McLaren for ur information.I just didn’t think change will come on the pitch as long as we go British. I still stand by my view.Hiring British or British based coach will be a sign of going backward.To label McLaren as skilled coach & is successful mgr, as u said it,it’s too early to say that as I think you moved too quick to judge.we have not seen him managing other PL club after middlsbro.Time will tell about his managing capabilities in PL.
    So how come u say he is successful mgr?
    We saw he failed at big stages,wfg, Eng,..
    And mang’g Newcastle is a big stage..

• Lindisfarne

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:44 AM

lesh @3 (previous)

I like the new word ‘toadying’ = toeing the line in the manner of a slippery amphibian.

• The overrated Frenchman

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:51 AM

The thing that astounds me is that we have so many players in the squad who clearly take no pride in their own performance. Maybe you don’t like the manager, the city – whatever; but surely as a professional sportsman you would want to perform at your best possible level for your own satisfaction? Obviously not so with many of our lot, and the common denominator is Carr. He patently doesn’t make any effort to investigate the personal qualities of the players he puts up. If there’s a nice drink in it for for him, it’s “job done, thanks mate, I’ll text you my account number”. And we end up with a string of lazy no-gooders.

• Lindisfarne

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:52 AM

Was JC responsible for the song “99 problems and the pitch ain’t one”?

• bladeuser

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:53 AM

I repeat what i have always said along with a few other bloggers u lot deserve this team this owner and now this idiot as manager u r gutless turning up doing nothing sitting there like statues and take whatever is served up even those morons down the road walked out against villa i could not give a shit if we lose the next seven games i hope it happens maybe then some of u might think about what on earth u r doing wasting your money on players who could not give a damm what happens to this club but i would,nt hold my breath u might mss your pie and pint to much

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:56 AM

Reyan,
    He wouldn’t be my first choice, but to say you don’t want McClaren, but want Pardew back is an utter nonsense. McClaren is probably the most successful English manager currently in charge of a European club – I could be corrected here, but I can’t really think of any others.

He is also one of the few who have gone abroad, learned and developed their knowledge of the game on anything more than a brief holiday. It is widely acknowledged within the game McClaren is a very good coach.

I said he was more successful than Pardew, League Cup title, UEFA Cup final, Eredivisie title (Twente’s first ever). Pardew has a Johnstone’s Paint Trophy.

I would argue the pressure at Newcastle would be too much for him, but that doesn’t make him a poorer coach or manager than Pardew, which is what I have said.

• Obertan's better than Messi

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:57 AM

52000 of you all Ashley’s bitches …

Giving him your money and your by taking your seat your approval.

Stop collaborating with the regime.

ASHLEY OUT!

• Lindisfarne

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:01 AM

Mag52

I do not deny your assertion but it is quite simplistic. AP was possibly held back by the restrictions placed upon him by NUFC, but whether that was for the better or worse we shall never know. His fortunes have certainly turned in his favour at C.Palace but, again possibly, this is because he inherited the players that are performing so well for him. His success is due to managing to piece the jigsaw together, the players were already settled in and used to playing with each other. Hence the prospect of C.Palace going forward with AP determining which new players are brought in and how well they are incorporated is open to question as he has a proven problem with this side of the managerial role.

• damma99

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:27 AM

Cant understand the people still going to the home games. This would not happen at any other club. Don’t go you idiots. Just imagine seeing an empty stadium apart from fat face and his cronies on MOTD and sky sports. Would be brilliant. But it wont happen 52,000 glum cardboard cut outs will still be there.

• Sav

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:58 AM

Any chance of a little bit of humility from Cardew? The players weren’t the biggest disgrace. We had players playing with torn calf muscles, players out of position all over the park. Certainly we’ve got genuine injuries. That is down to bad management, pure and simple. And the lack of ambition to leave Perez to play up front on his own, Sissoko too deep and Goufran in midfield – that is Cardew’s. Leaving Sammy on until 86th minute – Cardew. Clueless frees while giving away corners and frees to Sunderland – Cardew. You wanted the job? – this is where the buck stops. To hear him bad-mouthing Santon the day after that debacle is shameful and more poor management. It wasn’t anything to do with the idea we had 3 LBs and could get a fee? Cardew is a chancer and his panic is beginning to rub off on the squad.

• lesh

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:05 PM

Lindisfarne

I tend to agree with you to a point about Pardew.

We all know that if a manager, any man manager is clearly manifesting worries, strain and pressure on him/ her, then staff pick this up and their reaction to it, the body language and demeanour is not as positive as it should be.

What we’ve seen at Palace is a Pardew who’s brimming confidence in himself and his board and that has been picked up by the players who’ve reacted accordingly.

What we’re seeing with Carver, is a man who’s worried, pressured and trying too hard to exert discipline on the players as well as impress an owner who’s behaviour has been less than conducive to positivism and optimism.

It all stems from upstairs and that’s a point Ed’s been making for ages.