Surprise Man Of The Match Must Remain In First Team

Jonas Gutierrez is one of the few Newcastle players in the game against Sunderland who could hold his head up high after the terrible and humiliating 1-0 defeat on Sunday.

Jonas Gutierrez  Sunderland 1-0 defeat

Jonas Gutierrez in action on Sunday

Jonas got 37% of the vote and he followed up his excellent performance in the second half against Arsenal with a good display on Sunday – and the Argentine must keep his place in the first team.

At least we know Jonas has guts and spirit and will give 100% for the team – that cannot be said for too many of the players on Sunday – they were hopeless and were again outfought by Sunderland.

And that was despite all the promises from interim coach John Carver..

Daryl Janmaat is in second place on 27% of the vote and he had another solid game after a scare in the warm-up when it looked as though he injured his foot.

Janmaat has been a great acquisition for us and we just hope he doesn’t leave in the summer.

Young Perez was third in the voting with 7%, and he showed he is still dangerous, but too many players had off days against Sunderland – and that’s unforgivable.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At Sunderland?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

You can follow us on our three social media sites.

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:13 PM

Fair play to Jonas. Hasn’t got the ability anymore but at least he gave it his all! Top bloke and he’d be my first name on the team sheet. Shows how far we have fallen.

• WWSBRD

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:18 PM

Best player on the pitch probably with Cattermole

• Belfast

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:23 PM

Few heedbangers voted for the bottom five in the poll like

• Lindisfarne

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:24 PM

The midfield were missing from the match but Jonas does not deserve any blame, in his now limited ability he attempted to fight for the team and was short changed by the remainder of the team, or more accurately the way the team were deployed.

I am still convinced that Colback should be better than anyone else at playing left back but acknowledge that his influence is hugely missed in midfield. But this maybe because Anita and Abeid have not be utilised correctly.

• jayphoto

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:24 PM

Feel for Perez, hes not a #9 or a striker able to play up top alone.
    He won best ‘attacking midfielder’ last year and played the whole season as a #10 off a striker.
    Saying that, last season Riviere AND Cabella were also played as #10’s behind an out an out striker. As was De Jong though appreciate hes been injured.

• Belfast

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:24 PM

Probably wouldn’t have noticed if them five had went home at half time.

• Lindisfarne

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:27 PM

I still don’t know where 772 votes come from but I think that is a huge drop in number from normal. I did not vote and rarely do when the performance is so miserable, as it seems like a justification for inadequacy.

• jayphoto

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:27 PM

Too many square pegs in round holes for me.
    Colback at left back baffles me aswell. He’s got work ethic and passion. we needed that in the middle! Anita played more games at left back than midfield at Ajax and his Holland cap was at left back. Jonas played right back for argentina and Ryan Taylor played left back most of the season we finished 5th…
    I know we have a makeshift defence at the moment but surely Jonas right back, janmaat and willo central and R Taylor/Anita left back makes sense?
    Should have lined up for sunderland as
    Krul
    Jonas Janmaat Willo Taylor
    Abeid, Colback
    Sissoko Perez Cabella
    Armstrong.
    Least that side would have had fight in the middle and Armstrong would have had passion

• lesh

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:29 PM

And why did Jonas show the attitude we’d all like to see?

Was he trying to impress Carver? No!

Was he trying to impress Ashley and Charnley? No!

Was he motivated by the club’s desire to win trophies? No!

Was he motivated to play for us in Europe? No!

Was he playing to prove a point to himself that having been faced with, challenged and overcome cancer he could still play and show he’s not a has-been? Yup!

Jonas is an example to us all and he can inspire the faith that’ll overcome Ashley and his ways!

• premier

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:30 PM

Agree with comments on bottom 5 in a row
    From Gouff down

• optimistic prime

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:31 PM

Lesh

Hope Jonas joins Ashley out 🙂

• Jeff from Benwell

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:32 PM

Everybody is talking as if next Monday evening is a forgone conclusion , Liverpool are clearly favourites but Skrtel will still be suspended , they got a spanking off of the Gunners , and Rodgers is starting to lose sections of the crowd , and some of the guys eg Sissoko and Cabella play better against more illustrious opposition.

• beermonkey

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:41 PM

jayphoto

goofy in midfield is a joke with anita kemen abeid on the bench
    we could have grabbed that game easy all they were doin was punting it to the 3 upfront

I still think carver will get the job they will just use the excuse of the injuries

• Mister Tuff

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:41 PM

I notice that some of the papers, sports pundits are trying to push out a new theme about King Percy – I can only see it being an attempt to put the King in a position that he does not deserve. I still cannot really grasp what the ultimate aim is.
    I speak of combining the points total of NUFC prior to the King leaving and his points total at Palace after he joined them.
    I just fail to see what the logic and relevance is of embarking on such an exercise. Joining points totals from 2 different clubs at different times with different players seems to me to be such a nonesense from which nothing of any relevance at all can be gained.

• Lindisfarne

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:45 PM

And yet here you are

• Pokat

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:50 PM

Most of us thought Sunday was a foregone conclusion look how that worked out!!

• martoon

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:50 PM

BandB from last topic. Full respect for leaving your seat empty. However the analogy between a cheap childrens toy and and the ST does not quite hold true when you are talking about £10 compared to £1500 (I have 2).
    I still feel it would be more effective people taking their seats late, mass walk-outs, placard waving etc. than simply not turning up at all.

• Mag52

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:52 PM

Lilongwe (previous post)

Just as you have no wish to hear what AP did at NUFC, then I am sick of hearing what he did or didn’t do at the other clubs where he managed before he came to us.
    As people experience work and working environments, they learn from the experiences they have and improve at the job they do.
    There are very few managers out there who have not failed at some time in their career.
    I still maintain that with the right support from MA, we could have had more success from Pardew’s tenure than we in fact had. Let’s agree to differ on it.

• Pokat

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:53 PM

Best protest is not spending money with Ashley at all I think. But I’m a plastic fan so who cares what I think lol!

• IrishGeordie9

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:54 PM

I believe that it is very easy to explain why pardew is doing so well at Palace. Firstly, he has a clean slate with the owner and the fans. Penultumately, he is treated like a legend. Lastly, has less expectations.

But these are only minor reasons, look at the players he has. That should already tell you why he is being successful.

When pardew was at his best at Newcastle was when he had a team that had pace down the wings and a big striker to aim at. Is it suprising that Pardew signed obertan? For his managerial tactics to work he needed pace. The reason he did poorly at Newcastle was because we didnt have the players suited to his style. The reason Pardew is an aaverage manager is because he only knows that one style. He can’t alter it like top manager’s, he just continues to use that on a team incapable of doing so thus resulting in mostly bad results. He is good however when given the players he wants. I.e Glenn Murray recalled when Pardew got there. Yaya Sanogo bought, physical striker. Frazier campball wouldnt fit into his style.

Does it honestly suprise you that Shola stayed for so long? He was the only physical striker we had under Pardew so of course he didnt want him to go. Why do you think he sighee him at palace?

Pardew never had the correct player’s to fit his managerial style when he was here which is why im glad he is gone. Im also glad that he wasnt allowed a say in transfers because then we would have ended up with a very poor team. A very traditional team.

So overall Pardew is an average manager who is good when he has the correft players, but terrible when he doesnt.

• BandB

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:57 PM

martoon,

That is not a dissimilar situation to my own.

The toy I was talking about wasn’t cheap. It cost £1500.

I won’t be dissing you Martoon. I believe conversations are better than confrontations in most conditions. Not all conversations are confrontations.

• beermonkey

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:00 PM

mister tuff

the press do it all the time with managers they did it with pulis when he was there yet done the same thing with west brom its not mentioned

laudrup was another yet monk has gotten Swansea to 40points 4 5 games before laudrup did nothing mentioned

and lets not forget pards is a great stick to us toon fans with
    his record stands on it own as far as I am concerned and I ate my humble pie when we finished 5th
    but 2.5 seasons of relegation football aint good enough

• Mister Tuff

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:04 PM

beer – it’s just that I cannot see any logic at all in the exercise. It might be an interesting talking point but that is all. Whatever the results are it really doesn’t prove a thing. I think the press would be better off abandoning such futile exercises.

• jayphoto

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:07 PM

@beermonkey – Abeid on the bench the whole game, the only thing I can think is that he wasn’t 100%. Kemen looks a prospect but think his contract ends in june? For France u19’s hes the star of the show ahead of players signed to chelsea, madrid etc, seems off we’ve not seen him.
    Said before, this Carver fighting for the job isn’t helping anyone. 1) He#s so busy talking himself into the job hes forgetting to do the job and 2) hes so worried of getting thumped by opposition he isn’t giving lesser proven players a chance when they’d probably inject some energy into the play.
    Kemen shouldn’t start. Nowhere near ready for that. But hes pace and power. Would make a good 75/80th minute sub for sissoko when hes offering nothing.

• jayphoto

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:09 PM

Also, if Gouffran has somekind of dirt on Carver (only thing i can think of as to why hes undroppable) play him in the position he made his name? Upfront! Not like we’ve got strikers! Don’t class perez as a striker hes an attacking mid to everyone but carver. Gouffran did enough in france playing upfront to win a move to the premier league on 25k a week or whatever hes on….

• nut meg

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:10 PM

Got to say it’s a pheasant change to hear different opinions etc on here today. No need to wear a tin hat or a gum shield etc.Well done to you lads,keep it up….. now it’s time for a beer over here in the land of smiles.

• jayphoto

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:11 PM

@kebabacus that cartoon is right on the money you’re right!
    Happy the national media are starting to highlight our plight though

• BandB

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:16 PM

Despite being a bit off his peak value, Gouffran is still valued by Transfermarkt at three times what we paid for him.
    And he isn’t a pick of bother.
    That makes him a purple. And that’s why he plays.

• beermonkey

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:18 PM

jayphoto

if abeid is not fit for at least 45 mins he should not be on the bench
    I saw kemen once in the televised under21s match he looked good and has a good build for midfield I would play him

mister tuff

pards is pretty media savvy and likes the limelight I saw the otherday he reckons he could do a better job with the top teams than he is seeing them do
    that’s comedy gold right there
    he will always get in there with them

• martoon

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:26 PM

BandB @21 – Same here – I’ve aways liked debating with you – incidentally it must have been a hell of a toy for £1500 🙂
    After Sundays’s debacle I’ve actually come over to the Ashley out side – I just don’t believe that leaving your seat empty is the way to protest as the club has your money and these days ST revenue is small fry compared to TV money.

• John Tudor

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:29 PM

what do you mean
    relegation a stark possibility
    with this lot in charge we are already down
    in my eyes
    hwtl

• martoon

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:36 PM

Getting back to Sunday’s game – to me it was obvious we needed to get Colback into midfield and Ryan Taylor was being targetted. I would have switched Raylor to left back to free Colback into midfield – taken off Gouffran for possibly Anita to play RB. The result might have been the same but at least it may have made a difference – Carver did nothing except bring on Rivierre and swiitch to 4 4 2 which did not really help.

• optimistic prime

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:44 PM

Martoon

Anita should have started before Goufran, either in the back four or in midfield, leaving Sissoko (the cheese eating surrender monkey) in midfield was criminal.

He’s scared of being tackled by his own shadow.

• BandB

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:52 PM

Getting back to Sunday’s game…can there have ever been a time in the history of this club that a record-breaking fifth successive defeat in a derby could have been greeted with so little outrage or comment?

Surely the protests would once have been angry and spontaneous? Who organised the online campaign to besiege Keegan on the steps or SJP?

Where is the justified outrage?

• Mister Tuff

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:53 PM

nutmeg -@27 I think your comments about the current decent debate without having to wear a tin hat or a gum shield are indeed pleasant -however I suspect a bit premature.
    Later on I’m sure we’ll have to endure the purile postings of some posters probably topped off with a provocatively designed match report about the Palace v City game.
    but as you say some good banter at the minute.

• optimistic prime

Apr 7, 2015 at 2:01 PM

BandB

Where Ashley is concerned.
    Don’t get angry, get even!

Who would come onto the steps to face the fans?

It would be like a scene from a Western, the masses waiting for a gun fight when a loan SD bag blows past in the wind.

Seems a long long time ago Keegan on the steps.

• nut meg

Apr 7, 2015 at 2:10 PM

Mister Tuff
    I hope I haven’t put the mockers on it But, as it’s 8.00pm over here & time for a beer also my old memory cells are fading & it slipped my mind about the time difference of 6hrs. My fingers are crossed, cheers.

• DokToon

Apr 7, 2015 at 2:33 PM

gmorning/gevening all….

spent last hour reading the various posts…

BandB… perfectly said, agree with you 100%…

issue to me is, two coaches at son’s soccer academy are mackems… they snickered at me all practice last night… about as painful as I can get here…

• optimistic prime