Carver’s Interview Will Both Worry And Shock Newcastle Fans

We’ve been surprised at some of the interviews John Carver has given this year, and today is no exception, as he says if Mike Ashley and Lee Charnley hadn’t promised him that they would increase both the quality and size of the squad in the summer, then he would have walked away.

John Carver  in white_3151934b

John Carver – does he think he’s going to get the job?

John’s talking like he has a fabulous record this year, when in truth it’s similar to when he took over from Alan Pardew last year after Alan had been suspended on March 1st.

In the seven games he was in charge from the touchline last year, we lost six and scored just two goals and got 3 points.

In our last six games we have lost five of them and scored juts two goals and got 3 points – so you can see how similar John’s record is from last year.

In 13 games this year Newcastle have lost eight games and won only two games with John Carver in charge.

That’s a pathetic record in anyone’s book, and it’s worse than relegation form.

However, John seems to be talking from a presumed position of strength as he said this:

“I can understand the fans concern, but we’re already addressing it behind the scenes. ” “Mike and Lee Charnley, the Managing Director know what they have to do.”

“And I’m telling you now, if I was sitting here and I thought they were giving me lip service I would say “thanks very much, I’m off – I’m walking away from this”.

“If I didn’t have enough belief in what they were trying to do and the promises that they’ve said about the summer, then I would.”

“But I’m not because I know what they’re saying to me is right. They’ve said that we need to bring players into this football club, first of all to boost the size of the squad, but also to improve the quality, to take us on.”

“We can’t stand still because other clubs are not standing still and they know that. We have to go with them. And if we don’t, you get left behind.”

“We’ve had different managers but the same group of players keep losing in derbies. There is something in the DNA.”

‘It’s something we need to look at. We struggle when we have to compete. We have talked about addressing that in the summer.’”

It would be stunning if John Carver was given the job full time in the summer, when he has proved without any doubt this year and last that he’s not up to the job in a number of areas.

He cannot seem to motivate the players,  some of his interviews he gives are just simply bizarre, and his tactics are exactly the same as Alan Pardew deployed – but are more defensive.

To say that Mike Ashley and Lee Charnley are fixing the problems is also a bit rich.

After all, in the second half of this season and last season, they were the ones who created Newcastle’s problems in the first place.

John Carver’s interview above is yet again another very bizarre one.

You can follow us on our three social media sites.

• Pop n Wyn

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:52 AM

Thing is, Carver is talking like we are safe in this division? we are not, i would think like many we do not know were our next win is coming from, and are we banking on Cisse and our run in were we appear to be playing similar weak teams to ourselves, the same teams that will be fighting like hell also.

My opinion is that we will survive yet another for the most part god awful season.

I would also say without doubt that Lee Charnley should be sacked if we go down, as he was been given the job of recruitment, and he would have deemed our squad strong enough, he made a massive error in that last window.

• Blofal

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:52 AM

Carver isn’t good enough to take Newcastle forward I agree. But focusing on his record is unfair.

He hasn’t had a full squad. And he has a bunch of players who are too afraid of the wrath of the Geordie crowd to risks.

I actually heard him on the TV a few games ago screaming at Sammi on the wing “Take him on! Take him on!” But Sammi just wouldn’t go forward.

We need players at our club that can handle the pressure. This lot can’t. And that includes Colocinni. I’m convinced he got carded on purpose to miss the derby. Honestly I am.

• lesh

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:01 AM

Let’s give Carver the benefit of the doubt when judging his comment about walking out.

When he says “If I were sitting here now” and so on, could have meant “If I were sitting here now” etc meaning if he were sitting there as permanent HC, which he isn’t yet!

Putting that slant on it alters the sense of the comment.

Err, dinnit?

• Ibizatoon

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:05 AM

Pop n Wyn…Work on the “to keep” list, it’s a lot shorter.

Lesh…I think you’re in to a state of Carverism. Just mumble something about Sir Bobby and you’ll be fine.

• lesh

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:05 AM

I think we all know that given Ashley’s record with managerial appointments so far, it would be far from stunning if Cardew was offered the HC post in the summer.

He fits their profile perfectly.

• jimmysmith

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:06 AM

I think Carver legitimately wants a more open attacking brand of football, and that Ashley will invest because he needs to. The problem is the level of investment and expertise on show. The approach seems pretty solid in theory, but falls short in practise, in this highly competitive, cash bloated league, which seems to me as much the catalyst for our mediocrity as Ashley or anyone else. He certainly needs to more aggressively pursue a more entertaining product, he can do that, is almost obligated to. But anything beyond that, is a pretty tall order, even for a billionaire.

• lesh

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:08 AM

Ibiza

Am a geordie fan Robson man.

Will that do bonny lad?

• lesh

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:12 AM

Blofal

He hasn’t had a full squad doesn’t wash. What he had available to him when Pardew was suspended was a lot bigger than now. And his record then was pitiful.

• lesh

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:16 AM

Pop n Wyn

Remember that Ashley said he was going to be less hands-on this season?

Well that exposes Charnley to Ashley’s wrath if we go down or just avoid the drop and thus increases his chances of the chop.

• Blofal

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:19 AM

lesh

Pardew was still managing that team. Pardew picked the team and the tactics. Carver was just relaying his messages.

I’m not saying Carver is good. But a lot of the vile being directed at him is misplaced. We have a depleted below average squad and a board that refuses to invest. If Pardew was here we would still be getting the same results.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:20 AM

Lesh…I think we caught it early. Good job, just look at Carver!

• Ashton

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:43 AM

Blofal

Carver’s mum, please go home.

• sickandtired

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:45 AM

I think Jimmysmith has been too long on the bong.
    Carver wants? Jeez fella, he’s more negative than Pardew! An entertaing product for a multi Billionaire?
    How about he gets the fook out of the Club and allows real football people to take over? Charnley as MD? Carver as ‘Coach’? Verete, Jimenez, Wise, Kinnear…the man never learns!

• MacToon

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:55 AM

“The club admitted to the tribunal that it repeatedly and intentionally misled the press, public and the fans of Newcastle United.”

but they’re being 100% honest with you John, honest.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:57 AM

Mac…But they only lied then as the club didn’t have money and mike was finding his feet.

It’s all fine now, nothing to see here, go and renew season tickets people. We’re on our way up…the plan has worked.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:01 AM

Ashley quote of the day
    “I feel like they do. I’m in with the fans, and if we are not playing well I take this side because I’m thinking to myself: ‘How can this be? We are Newcastle United and we should be doing better than this”

Gee, real head scratcher than one Mike. I assume you’ve asked your coaching team? I bet they think all is tiptop with no need to change.

• MacToon

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:07 AM

mmm season tickets …. there could be some interesting news released very soon and I’m not talking about club propaganda.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:09 AM

Mac…Is that so? Intriguing. How soon?

• MacToon

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:13 AM

Hoping tomorrow. It’s good news which ever way ST look at it but it could prove even better. It’s a head scratcher.

• MacToon

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:13 AM

ST holders*

• Ibizatoon

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:14 AM

It’s not kind to tease one before bedtime. Is it the figure for renrewals?

• MacToon

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:20 AM

Sorry, it was wrong of me but it’s a small detail which could mean so much. I hope it’s the topic of discussion for tomorrow.
    It’s nothing official like renewal figures but it’s from the club. When told I asked, well why? Like I say it’s a head scratcher.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:29 AM

Quite alright. You and your jam tomorrow 🙂

Good night blog.

• MacToon

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:41 AM

Yeah sorry, it’s late and sudden impact’s finished and there I was going to give some more…….

With everything going on we’ve kind of lost track of some aspects of the club.

What more can Ashley strip from the club?
    It’s been clear for some time that we’ve needed a goal scorer, a striker and we know they tend to be expensive. It’s also clear that our defence needs serious attention. Another costly exercise.
    We don’t have an expensive manager/coach.
    How many contracts are about to run out? and how many contract talks have stalled.
    How is the academy doing? Is there investment needed there too?
    Dwindling season ticket sales.

It’s pretty clear that if we remain in the prem and we are to remain in the prem next season a lot of investment is needed. More than a few player sales could generate?
    Wonder what’s going through Ashley’s mind!

• Ibizatoon

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:45 AM

My guess…Let’s give them a window they want, we need it anyway, let’s see if we can start the cycle again.

That summer when we got Cabaye, Ba and co, deem seem like a good first step. I imagine that window 2.0.

Do fans buy it? It may look good and full of promise. Has anything actually changed though.

Busy few months for toon fans ahead. I do hope those who aren’t happy will stand up and do their bit.

• MacToon

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:50 AM

Add the sale of land (which I forgot to add to the list)and maybe something else that could be released tomorrow. Howay man I’m giving as much as I can 😉

There needs to be a lot of £££’s spent. just as well we’ve made so much over the last few seasons.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:08 AM

Mac…Sorry, you’re wasted on me at this hour. Not sure why I’m even still up.

Bed.

Speak soon and I look forward to tomorrow.

Night

• catchy in norway

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:59 AM

I don’t buy it sorry, they played better vs Arsenal and Man U , and I’m guessing that was because it was a shop window, the problem is more about coaching,
    no difference between what I seen when p45 was here, stupid tactics, obertan still gets a game

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:59 AM

Morning folks!

What I don’t understand is with MA being willing to sidetrack and derail us in January, JC now thinks MA will rectify all that in the summer!

…or he’ll walk! But did JC take the job knowing this? If so how does this explain our January and why did JC go along with that? Because that was what he did!

…and now he’s saying he will leave if MA doesn’t strengthen our squad…and here we will rewind back to what happened in January!

Can anyone spot the conflict? Someone is not being ‘honest John ‘ here 😉

• Toonmania

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:10 AM

It’s not MA & LC giving lip service it’s JC he’s just telling people what he thinks they want to hear and feeding us more bull from the fatman.

Look at the shit Rangers is in over MA the man cannot be trusted and even if he sold up we wouldn’t be free from that bloke for many years to come, whats the bettings SD know owns the crest and logo rights to NUFC and hence the reason for changing it slightly a few years ago.

• hibbit

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:35 AM

mc toon what’s the big news

• nearly

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:21 AM

BLOFAL @2

well said totally agree,that comment will probs put you in the not a real football supporter group tho,still waiting to hear what defines a real supporter

• scout

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:27 AM

We have already been left behind………

• scout

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:28 AM

They dont want europe and dont wanna win cups. Whats the point in the club?

• nut meg

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:46 AM

As far as I can remember the club hasn’t issued any statement regarding summer signings.It seems Carver is the one who has mentioned it, so he’s the one fans will blame when / if there’s not any significant signings come through the door.Carver is now the clubs mouth piece just as Pardew was so he should expect the same abuse as his former boss.The spiel is the same,just because the people upstairs tell /suggest to him that signings will be done in numbers this window doesn’t mean that will happen as no official statement has come out of the club.There has also been a few newspaper articles & a sky sports guy saying they understand/believe etc that the squad is going to have a major overhaul etc.Again the club have said NOTHING.!! If it’s really a genuine attempt to strengthen the team /squad why don’t we hear it from the horses mouth ??? It’s easy enough to issue a statement telling us so that takes away any doubt but no,not NUFC. They’ll take the view that if the signings are not as good or too few, that we didn’t promise you nothing,it was the temporary head coach or the media who said it. I would like to believe that we will strengthen but seeing is believing, I won’t hold my breath

• hibbit

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:00 AM

nut meg its a ploy to give the club breathing space the press and carver are being used by the club to try and calm things down i expect a lot more of this

• sing in the corner

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:16 AM

Looks like |Carver has now fully nailed his colours to the mast. No longer trying to occupy the fence..the club are obviously feeding him this tripe.. Of course, he has little choice other than this or falling on his sword now there is some action. Unfortunately he’s turned his back..

• sing in the corner

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:23 AM

I don’t like the tone JC is taking now…
    Is Carver really surprised at the ‘abuse’ he talks about getting wherever he goes in an interview yesterday. Did he think the suits were going to stand shoulder to shoulder with him?? Carver, you were watching what happened with Alan Pardew for years, were you not? This is THE reason you got the job. Oh, that and being cheap of course.

• John Tudor

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:26 AM

cheap and pi55 p00r

• nut meg

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:27 AM

Hibbit
    Yes I agree and Carver has possibly put himself in a awkward position.Will he walk if we don’t do as he was told/ suggested ? He’s getting into deeper water as the games go by.