Newcastle Problems Are Deep – Change In Policy Needed

It’s almost comical to hear John Carver and Lee Charnley talk about how things will be all OK in the summer, John says we are in trouble right now – but all will be well in the summer because we will bring in some good players, and we already have some top players on our shopping list – so nothing to worry about.

What’s all the fuss about in any case?

lee charnley close-up

Lee Charnley – we have to share the blame
Why?

That’s crazy, and shows the complete lack of thought and understanding by the people running the club at the moment – the main one being Managing Director Lee Charnley – who seems to be the Sergeant at Arms to Mike Ashley.

Newcastle Ambassador Bob Moncur has talked today in the Chronicle about the Newcastle situation and this is what he said:

“Lee’s view is that we have to share responsibility as a group, starting with the Board right the way down the club.” “He believes if we win, we win as a team, if we lose we do so together and when we do, we have to accept the criticism and be big enough to deal with it.”

“I also asked Lee about investment in the squad in the summer.” “And he reinforced the message that John Carver had already given.” “We will be spending money in the summer to take the club forward.”

That’s a good move by Lee to say everybody has to share the responsibility (sometimes called the blame), because it helps to take the spotlight off himself and Mike Ashley, who are the real architects of  our problems right now.

We really hope we stay in the Premier League this season, and then bring in some great players in the summer – let’s get that straight.

But if we bring in good players in the summer – that’s not a silver bullet – and not everything will be great from then on.

The problems we have at Newcastle are much deeper than that, and fundamentally it’s the way the club is run by Mike Ashley and carried out by Lee Charnley.

One question is whether we will be able to keep hold of our best players in the summer such as Moussa Sissoko, Daryl Janmaat, Papiss Cisse, Rolando Aarons and Ayoze Perez – or have they reached the point where Newcastle will cash in on them.

Whether they are our best players or not doesn’t seem to matter, and whether we can suitably replace them in the summer isn’t considered.

We will never build a top side at Newcastle if we continue to sell our best players – because then the team is nearly always being rebuilt and we never quite get to have a good team – other than by accident – which happened in the 2011-2012 season.

But that was so difficult given what Alan Pardew had to put up with, that he was awarded two Manager of the Seasons awards.

But what did Mike Ashley do in that summer – when we would be going into the Europa league and would need a bigger squad – he brought in one senior player – Vurnon Anita.

So it’s more than clear he has no ambition to build a top side at Newcastle – none at all.

And will Mike Ashley continue the fugal way he runs the club, when he sells a player as soon as he gets an offer which he considers good enough – even if it is the last day of the transfer window.

So we cannot replace him – tough luck – but we got the money and that’s the most important thing.

The terrible state we are in at the moment is because of the policies Mike Ashley has in place, and are religiously followed by Lee Charnley, John Carver and others – otherwise they wouldn’t be in those jobs.

So going ahead and bringing good players is short-term and may even give us a dent side next season, will it will not solve the underlying problem.

But what we want to see is a new way by Mike Ashley of running the club – which means we will not sell our best players unless we get an Andy Carroll like bid for them – that would be say (a stupid fee of) $25M for Moussa in the summer.

Whenever a club is willing to pay a stupid fee for one of our top players like Liverpool did for Andy Carroll over four years ago – well so be it – but that will happen very few times – not every year.

We see no signs at all of Mike Ashley changing the way he runs the club – and that being the case – we’ll be in the same position in a couple of years that we are now.

You can follow us on our three social media sites.

• Ciaran

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:20 PM

Repost:

Hibbit

Well I hope that’s true. However, if no one else is, for want of a better word, ashamed that it had to take 5 derby defeats in a row, no derby win in 7, as well as the barrage of s**t that MA has unloaded on us in the past 8 years before there is even a hint of a popular mass protest, then I fear the point may have been missed entirely.

• lochinvar

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:21 PM

“To take the club forward ”
    This the diatribe of politicians and is meaningless guff.
    Take it forward to where ? Back to the lowest point we’ve been at in years just to start all over again ?
    Or back to the point where we should have been ( 5th ) and from which we could then “go forward ”
    “Back to the future ”
    One step to infinity and beyond …

• Belfast

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:28 PM

Ruddy I new you would be on haha even checked your blog last night.

I’m definitely physic 😉

• Ciaran

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:32 PM

Belfats

Very rarely write on that thing as you well know, you’re nothing but a pest! 😛

Dunno what compelled me to come on here today though,,,maybe you are psychic!

• Whumpie

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:32 PM

The article said it all for me. What is the point of a sports club that doesn’t compete?
    This Facebook page is a new but good one and the most recent post is brilliant – sums it all up: https://www.facebook.com/Eastdevonmagpies

• Belfast

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:39 PM

There’s protest in the air I sensed you where coming. 😉

Agree with your comments on a previous article, I’m a bit skeptical myself about how many will take part after seeing the numbers the last time.

• MacToon

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:40 PM

I’m fully behind any protest that has a chance to get under Ashley’s skin. Always have and always will.

• BandB

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:42 PM

Ciaran,

I have not, in my rather long life, been a stranger to campaigns that failed which deserved to win. Some of them were a great deal more matters of life and death than whether or not people go to a football match.

I always thought myself that when you fail you look back and ask what else you might have done. Sometimes you were unlucky. Sometimes you contributed to your own failure, sometimes the tide and tides were just against you.

Failure and success are rarely final.

I don’t think the march was a failure. Like a stone thrown in a stream, its repercussions are still being felt. The last walk-out wasn’t helped by a last minute attempt to hijack it by people who perhaps felt they weren’t getting their due and who’s noses were out of joint. We can’t afford for that to happen again.

That previous attempts have met with indifference or failure does not entail that all future ones will. It just means those attempts failed. Dwelling on them is a choice of those involved.

There is a spark in the air. Another one, as frail as all those that have gone before. The choice is as it always was.
    Do we fan it?
    Or stamp it out?

• Billythefish

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:43 PM

In 7 years mr Ashley and his trusted pals have built a team of crocks and cowards, the only thing left to shout about is Ashley out. No spurs game for me.

• croftus5678

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:44 PM

even if we do go on a recruitment drive and get rid of the rubbish i still wont be happy tbh as carver is all but guarenteed to be our manager next year 🙁

small things one at a time i used to say ! what an idiot i was !!!
    small steps backwards not forwards since ashley took over imo.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:49 PM

Good afternoon Ruddy!

…just saw you were here so just a quick hallo 🙂

• Ciaran

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:02 PM

BandB

You can also choose to view my comments as stamping out a frail flame if you so choose although that insinuation is not only unhelpful, but incorrect.

I don’t view anything I myself have done in protest of Mike Ashley’s running of the club as a failure, that, once more, seems to be your own perception, or perhaps a passive aggressive attempts to label them as such.

As for the walk out. I doubt it would have even garnered the 5,000 or so supporters had that ‘intervention’ (which brought it to the attention of 2 national publications) not occurred. You can disagree with its execution, but not its impact.

Finally, perhaps the reverberations of the march are indeed being felt – perhaps most sharply by the Chronicle who are returning to their role as club mouthpiece. However, I don’t think the 50k+ who consistently make up the numbers at SJP on a fortnightly basis give two hoots about the march or its reverberations.

I am sure you’ve been an active participant in many worthwhile campaigns, as I have/still am doing/and continue to do, on matters more important than this current one. So hurray for the both of us, big pats on the back.

You’ve taken some personal slight to my rather harsh, but fair, comments regarding the realistic chances of a mass movement. You’ve represented the problem – people are waiting for a group to organise the masses, while pretty much every popular mass movement has been started, organised and facilitated by the people themselves.

“Why do anything ourselves, we’ll wait until someone does it for us”

I sincerely hope the good people of Newcastle Upon Tyne have taken their blinkers off and are willing to protest en masse sustainably (even this one time would be nice!) but I’m not going to hold my breath.

Feel free to nit pick, misrepresent, and passive aggressively respond as you will.

• Moonraker15

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:06 PM

Bobby Mon, your a club legend! Don’t demean yourself by justifying what these goons are doing! Charnley is an idiot carrying out Ashley’s dirty work and with great respect to you, cos we know how much you love the club we don’t want you passing on messages! A full statement from the owner is what is required but the tw@t is too high and mighty for that and Charnley is useless!

• Moonraker15

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:08 PM

Ashley SELL SELL SELL !

• BandB

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:10 PM

Ciaran

I think we could talk like we used to, if you like.

Look, It’s only me!

I do know just how aggressive people can become if they think you are attacking their club. I’ve been more than snarled at myself.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:12 PM

I latched onto the meaningless phrase :-
    ““We will be spending money in the summer to take the club forward.”

Anywhere else this would be interpreted as good times ahead.
    At NUFC it is a meaningless phrase -what does the promise of spending money mean exactly – well nothing if you do not know the amount – could be £1million could be £20 million. Therefore I’m afraid no substance.
    “Take the club forward” – what does that mean. Forward to what, forward from what position – again without the context of what “the goal” is, I’m afraid it’s yet another example of politico meaningless gobbledygook. Does it relate to finances or on pitch activities.
    We’ve heard similar phraseology previously such as “taking the club to the next level”.
    Again, meaningless phraseology – next level suggests a higher level -are we really at a higher level than a couple of years ago. I think not.

• Ciaran

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:18 PM

BandB

No need to pander to me in the slightest. I was not attacking you. I have my reservations, and made these reservations known.

There are fans who have let this club down. I’m not claiming moral superiority in the slightest, but there comes a time when if you want a mass movement to work, a picket line must be drawn, and for far too long, too many people have crossed that picket line. You can’t cross the picket line and not expect to be called a scab.

That’s just naive.

• toonluvva

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:43 PM

I’m fairly sure that last season we were promised that we would be conducting our transfer dealings early on.

How did that go?

Are they just pedalling the same guff all over again.

• Billythefish

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:31 PM

The whole lot of them who are on Nufc wage bill will not have a word said against the dictator, Keegan seen 1st hand the mess Ashley and his cronies have created on a footballing level and spoke out. He bought the club for some fun at 50000 fans expense, the fun entertainment and anticipation all but died when our saviour rolled in to town. Can’t wait to see the back of him, so many times season after season we get let down.

• welshgeordie9

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:47 PM

To be honest i don’t think a protest will make any difference, nothing happend with pardew, and besides there’s only one person that will tell ashley to leave newcastle.

And thats ashley himself.

• mactoon

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:15 PM

Here we go again. Promises of new investment which will never happen. Moncur… jesus stand up against these people ffs youre supposed to be a club ambassador…