Former Top Player Hits Back At Carver’s Cheap Shot

One of the things that really worry us about John Carver, is that he says some stupid things to the press, which invariably come back to bite him – and since he’s the mouthpiece of Newcastle it doesn’t make the club look very good either.

davide santon action

Davide Santon – objects to Carver’s disparaging remarks

And John had the cheek so say the reason Davide Santon was let go on the last day of the transfer window on loan to Inter-Milan – a permanent move in the summer has since been arranged – is because he wanted to go and wouldn’t fight for his place at Newcastle.

That was nothing less than questioning Davide’s professionalism.

But Santon has said this today to ChronicleLive:

“I would like to take this opportunity to respond to the comments made recently by John Carver about my move to Inter Milan.”  “I want to say that I never thought for one moment, having been out injured for eight months, that I would immediately play again as a regular at Newcastle United.

“During the time I was injured, I worked hard every day to get back to full fitness as soon as possible. My career has always been based on hard work and sacrifices which help me to keep on improving.”  “I have always struggled to carve out a space for myself and I know that it will be the same until the end of my career.”

“I therefore would never refuse to fight for my place in any team.” “It was with deep regret that when I spoke with John Carver and after five games on the bench in the Premier League without playing even a single minute, I realized that I was no longer in the first team plans of the coach.”

“At that moment, after three and a half years as a Newcastle player, I no longer felt an essential part of the project.”  “It was then I was forced to think about my career and my future. Following this Inter Milan, the club where I was born and bred as a footballer, offered me an opportunity that I could not refuse.”

“I spent three and a half wonderful years in Newcastle, a great club with fantastic fans who have always supported me and showed me their affection. This is why I will never forget them and they’ll always be in my heart.”

“Finally I would like to take this opportunity to publicly thank all my teammates and the staff with whom I shared a wonderful experience with at Newcastle United.”

Now that’s the way to end your career at a former club – with class – Newcastle did a lot for Davide Santon and he knows it – and he’s thankful for the three and a half years on Tyneside.

And looking back it was obvious John Carver was going to prefer Haidara and/or Dummett at left back – but of course all of this has come back to bite Newcastle hard.

We haven’t had a  recognized left-back for several games now – because of the reckless management and lack of planning by Lee Charnley.

We’ve heard that John Carver can be a bit of a hothead at times, and we’ve seen bits of that with some ridiculous comments he’s made – in his press interviews.

And one of them was to disparage Davide Santon, who always  gave Newcastle 100% when he played.

Davide talked very highly of Newcastle United throughout his time on Tyneside, beginning when he arrived in the summer of 2011 – when he talked about being excited to join a great club – and he was arriving from Inter-Milan.

Davide didn’t deserve to be insulted by John Carver – especially after he had already left the club – it was a cheap shot and an insult from the Newcastle coach.

You can follow us on our three social media sites.

• Graeme

Apr 11, 2015 at 1:45 PM

Cardue opens his mouth and puts both feet in there – takes a fair bit of skill that!!!

• WWSBRD

Apr 11, 2015 at 1:50 PM

In fairness Santon wouldn’t of had to wait long until he was back in the team

• Jeff from Benwell

Apr 11, 2015 at 1:57 PM

I think folk have difficulty comprehending English
    Santon has confirmed in his own words what Carver said – ie that they disagreed how quickly he got back in the team and that Santon initiated the contact with Inter.
    In fact if the young man had shown more patience he would be a shoo in for the first team now.

• Jeff from Benwell

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:03 PM

• Mister Tuff

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:11 PM

Jeffrey – I’m afraid your attempts to bolster your post is quite laughable on many fronts.
    You make totally unfounded assumptions that the girls are silly and that the store manager is a responsible adult -again without foundation.
    Because people may “muck about” does not mean they have dishonest intentions.
    So now you are doing a complete body swerve, as usual, and suggest the manager makes a false accusation of theft and the police have to act.
    Well as there is no evidence of theft (you may be aware that most shops have a policy to wait until thieves exit their premises before stopping them – also as the girls present themselves at the till with all their chosen goods -there is clearly no intention to be dishonest or appropriate anything).
    This accusation by the manager would clearly be a false accusation and it would
    be he or she that would be the subject of any police action – namely being arrested for wasting police time :-
    Section 5(2) Criminal Law Act 1967
    The offence of wasting police time is committed when a person:
    causes any wasteful employment of the police by
    knowingly making to any person a false report orally or in writing tending to:
    show that an offence has been committed; or,
    give rise to apprehension for the safety of any persons or property; or,
    show that he has information material to any police inquiry.

It is a summary only offence carrying a maximum penalty of six months’ imprisonment and/or a level 4 fine.

In addition the “responsible” manager would end up being sued by the “silly girls” in a civil case for false accusations.

Please stop digging deeper holes in your attempt to resue yourself from your original erroneous guff. We have the measure of you my good man!

• Jeff from Benwell

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:29 PM

If I was being cynical
    I could say this might be the reason for Santon’s communication
    He doesn’t even make Mancini’s squad for Inter v Verona

• chuck

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:07 PM

It should be obvious to all by now.

Carver cannot control his anger.

Comes out with outrageous statements.

Is not that bright.

Is a cheap replacement for Pardew, until the seasons end,

Ashley believing the club is safe from the drop.

Will never manage in any top league following his recent displays.

And perhaps should be less delusional and go find a lower league side, that is if anyone wants him.

Actually the whole management system at the club, is a joke.Come back Freddy Shepheard.

• davis_toons

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:02 PM

@9 Please DO NOT POST other languages thinking of Fooling anyone here.

MILAN – Inter coach , Roberto Mancini , has released the list of meetings for the next league match , which will see the Nerazzurri face the Verona Bentegodi . Green light for Andreolli , absent from the list instead Santon ( fatigued ) and Campagnaro .

This is the complete list: Goalkeepers: 1 Handanovic , 30 Carrizo , 46 Berni ; Defenders: 5 Juan Jesus , 6 Andreolli , 15 Vidic , 23 Ranocchia , 26 Felipe , 33 D’Ambrosio , 55 Nagatomo ; Midfielders : 10 Kovacic , 13 Guarin , 18 Medel , 20 Obi , 27 Gnoukouri 77 Brozovic , Hernanes 88 ; Forwards: Palacio 8 , 9 Icardi , 11 Podolski , 28 Puscas , 91 Shaqiri , 97 Bonazzoli .

• davis_toons

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:03 PM

Santon was NOT selected due to fatigued,

• davis_toons

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:04 PM

Stop Being Another Alan Pardew

• Sav

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:13 PM

Whether it was true or not makes no difference, Cardew should not have blackguarded a young player who, as Ed says, always tried for Newcastle. It was thoroughly unprofessional. Cardew ought to ask himself what SBR would have done. The answer is, he’d have shown a bit of class.