Surprising Statement From John Carver on Jonas

It could be that Jonas Gutierrez will get a new deal in the summer on Tyneside, and certainly John Carver has no thoughts of leaving Jonas out of the side because of the total number of games he has played for Newcastle, which could trigger an automatic new contract for the Argentine.

great shot of carver and jonas

John Carver with Jonas Gutierrez in early March

Most records we have looked up have Jonas on 199 total appearances for Newcastle with 11 goals, and the magic number of games is probably 200, which he could reach on Monday night at Anfield.

Some reports about the contract situation is that it’s based on his number of starts and not on substitute appearances, but it’s difficult to know what the real situation is.

And it’s a little surprising that John Carver has not been told anything, and doesn’t want to know about what Jonas’ contract  situation is – and he will pick the team in the last seven games of the season on merit.

Well – that’s what he should be doing, and we have already screwed up in January in the quest to get money into the Newcastle coffers.

This is what Carver has said about the situation today:

“I’ve got to be honest, I genuinely don’t know about anybody’s contract. All I’ve been doing is working on the team and trying to put the best 11 players on the pitch that I can.”

“I’m unaware of the Gutierrez clause. But I will be picking the team between now and the end of the season with that not in my mind, because I don’t know what people earn and what their contracts are.”

“I pick a team on what I think will be the best team on the pitch. Sometimes you can get distracted. I don’t know anybody’s salaries – nothing. I like it that way as I make my judgement on the week at the training ground.”

“Everybody’s playing for their future. There have been no discussions about contracts. The discussions have been about the need to bring in players — we know that.”

“I haven’t gone into any discussions with regard to this group of players, because we have seven games left.”

“I don’t think Jonas ever thought he’d be playing as soon as he has done. I don’t even think he thought he’d play again, when you have an illness like Jonas had.”

“It must have been a proud moment for him, and for us as well, it was great to see him back on the pitch.”

“Everybody’s delighted with how he’s come back in and how he’s progressed. He’s fought and worked hard and done all the right things.”

It’s been a great story of courage and guts from Jonas over the last eighteen months or so, and we are proud of him and it really is a great and uplifting to see him playing well for Newcastle.

We need more of that at the club.

Our away form has been terrible this year, apart from the good 3-0 win at Hull City on 31st January.

In the seven games we’ve played on the road this year, we have lost five and won one, and have conceded 13 goals and scored just four – so if you take away the 3-0 win at Hull, it’s a very poor record,.

We play Liverpool on Monday night, and perhaps it’s not surprising that 94% of readers think we will lose this game.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Liverpool?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

We expect Jonas to start in central midfield for the game.

You can follow us on our three social media sites.

• nut meg

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:34 AM

Whatever the figure is that triggers a new contract, it will not be reached…..oh and by the way John , you’ll not have a say in the matter.

• firebug666

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:48 AM

I like Jonas, and I congratulate him on his courage, he is an inspiration to us all.

That said, I think he is past his best, his age is now against him, he has looked good on the pitch, but anyone (including you or I) would look good in this team.

I hope Jonas can continue to play his football with another club, he deserves that, and hopefully he will be better treated than he has been by that powers that be at our club.

I don’t think he will be here next season, but wish him well whatever happens.

• sing in the corner

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:49 AM

God Carver man talk about completely exposing yourself. Didn’t know about the Guti clause?? Come on man, your either a blatant liar or you’re even more goddamn stupid than you look.

• firebug666

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:51 AM

sitc

I think he is both mate, and he does nothing to discourage that thought.

• Jeff from Benwell

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:06 AM

I think Carver is a simple man as people in his profession (football coach) tend to be.
    I don’t think he is a liar (he is so honest it can be shocking ) and he is certainly not stupid .
    I think Ryan Taylor and Jonas Gutierrez getting starts is a sign of how depleted the squad is through a worrying injury list and suspension of our captain and leading scorer.

• nearly

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:06 AM

sing in the corner

have you ever thought that there is no clause in his contract ,or if there is maybe its not the 200 game that triggers it,or maybe guti has allowed them to remove it from his contract,just saying like

• sing in the corner

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:06 AM

firebug, one fine day

just on last thread..
    I have been frustrated at the lack of atmosphere for several years. I gave up my season ticket when Shearer retired, but have continued to go to several games a season, although hardly any this last 2. The singing has dwindled steadily since the all seater, then season ticket queue days. Very very sad for me…I too went as a kid, alternating between the scoreboard and Corner / ‘Flag’ areas of the Gallowgate, I can remember the experience was raw, visceral and extemely charged. In all seater mode I often looked around at people sitting silently, motionless for long periods. I Still sang, chanted with fewer and stood up despite audible tutting from some folks behind me though.. I think Ashley;s strangling of the club has been made easier by the change in the type of people (most anyway)filling the grounds in recent years. That is til now. I think a lot more is possible than some believe. Because the people who stopped going to the games are more likely to activate and swell the protest ranks. I hope… But we do need many to stay out of the ground on the day…for visual impact. Howay the fans!!

• Lee Dodd

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:07 AM

If we have a player who fights and cares for our club what do we do ????? Let them Go That’s what and we replace them with what ??? A player that doesn’t give a Toss about the fans the club the History !!!!! Jonas Deserves at least Another year !!!! We let Shola Go & This Season We needed him Big Style … Even Vucik would have been better than Riveara !!!! Are we Leaving the Doors Wide open for a New manager to buy his new players or are we Just Bloody Stupid ? The 2nd one Springs to mind !!!! This Summer I think it will be we went after such and such but they wanted to much money per week or the Agent was to blame … NO MIKE ASHLEY YOUR A TIGHT BUGGER YOU CANT RUN THE NUFC LIKE YOUR OTHER COMPANY !!!!

• Munster Mag

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:09 AM

Still think we will be relegated. I have called sissoko a fraud two years ago and stand by that. Swansea saved us v wigan two years ago and these are many of the same players with no backbone. Its now pardews work that will save us. So the sackpardew .com guys look like the fools i always said they were. Same for the anti pardew nutters on here. We need a full sackashley campaign. Please boycott the spurs game. Have u geordies any bloody pride ?

• Munster Mag

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:15 AM

Incidentally as the smarter guys on here know i always said pardew was an average mgr, not a top one. But he was being blamed for everything bar global warming. Its about time that people like graham carr started coming under the spotlight too. He certainly isnt as good as i had thought at the start.

• Sav

Apr 11, 2015 at 10:29 AM

“I’ve got to be honest, I genuinely don’t know about anybody’s contract. I’m unaware of the Gutierrez clause. All I’ve been doing is working on the team and trying to put the best 11 players on the pitch that I can.”
    Can anyone tell me how could Carver not have asked Pardew WTF about packing Guti off to Norwich on loan in the middle of a season?
    I have said it before about Carr, Munster Mag. He is now the only person at the club with any football knowledge or contacts beyond whoever you might bump into in a London Casino on a slow Saturday night. We don’t have a board with a wealth of football men like some other clubs. As such, he really is the kingmaker Mashley relies on and as you point out, he is far from infallible. Riviere and Ferreyra being two he can take no honours for.

• sickandtired

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Aye, good old Jonas. The lad knew his number was up when Pardew told him to find another Club!
    He’s only being wheeled out again now because a) it’s a good luck story to distract the fans and b) they’ve got no one else to turn to.
    Utter disgrace to humanity those parasites.