Carver Reveals What He Did After Sunderland Embarrassment

Sunderland were back to their usual form as Crystal Palace tore them apart at the Stadium of Light in the second half with four goals in just 17 minutes, and 4-1 wasn’t even indicative of how much better Palace were on Saturday.

Sunderland have only five wins this season, joint worst record in the Premier League with Burnley,  and two of those wins have been against Newcastle United.

john carver worried

John Carver – it was a real rollicking

Newcastle will play Liverpool at Anfield on Monday night, and if we play like we have in our last three away games – where we haven’t turned up for any one of them – we’ll be taken to the cleaners by The Reds.

John Carver has said he laid into the players after the game last Sunday after another completely gutless performance from his Newcastle side.

And we are really getting a bit sick of the lack of professional pride of our players, who show no fight or passion or heart away from home.

This is what John Carver revealed he did in the dressing room after the game last weekend:

“It was a real rollicking.” “It’s definitely the first time I’ve had to be Mr Nasty since I took charge.” “When Alan was manager, there was a different dynamic. I would just react to whatever he was doing.”

“If he was the nasty one, I was the nice one. If he was the nice one, I was the nasty one.” “And I did nasty well, I was good at that.” “The players aren’t seeing anything different.”

“I lost my temper at full-time here against Manchester United because of how we lost the game. And last weekend.” “In every other team talk I’ve been quite composed. If you’re just aggressive all the time the players switch off.”

“You can’t go crazy all the time, there has to be logic behind why you do it.” “We’ve responded in the past and the players owe it to themselves.”

“We won at Old Trafford last season for the first time since 1972. So, at the Theater of Dreams and Anfield – two Meccas of football – we’ve shown it can be done.”

John may have been a bit soft with the players up to this point – but the coach has to somehow get the players playing for him, and playing for the club and most of all – playing for the fans.

At the moment we are a bit of a laughing-stock again in the Premier League and every club is eager to play us – simply because we are so hopeless at the moment.

When did that last happen?

Well apart from last year at this time.

😀

Fans think we have no chance of getting anything out of the game on Monday night.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Liverpool?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

So our players have absolutely nothing to lose – they are under no pressure and not expected get anything from the game – so there’s a big opportunity on the upside to play well and shock us all – and even get something out of this game.

But another pathetic performance would be hard to take – very hard to take – after four successive league defeats when we have scored only one goal.

We continue to drop like a lead balloon in the league table.

You can follow us on our three social media sites.

• Average_Contents

Apr 12, 2015 at 12:46 AM

Big bad johnny boy. Just like his paymasters he’s full of guff.

• banjax

Apr 12, 2015 at 12:48 AM

The fact Carver has problems motivating the players begs the question, Is he good enough to be our head Coach ?

• andrew84

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:02 AM

He gave the players a rollicking after the Man United game did he?

Didn’t work too well did it?

• lesh

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:07 AM

Ed

Of course there should be serious concerns about the players’ pride.

It always helps though if players are proud to wear their club’s colours. But in all honesty, would anyone be proud to wear our strip these days?

• andrew84

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:09 AM

Banjax

God knows I was one of those who thought Pardew was out of his depth, but now I’m starting to think that it was Carver who ‘advised’ him to make half the ridiculous decisions that lost us so many games.

Although having said that, Pardew was probably still too arrogant to take anything his ‘right hand man’ had to say seriously. Could be wrong though.

• lesh

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:13 AM

Carver’s shown a weakness again. A good coach, a good manager should be in control of his temper and never, never lose it in front of his players.

Being in control of self is all important when managing people and losing ones temper is a weakness.

• Sav

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:25 AM

Cardew already claimed no team of his would give less than 100%.. He is now a bigger embarrassment than last Saturday’s score and performance.
    I did think he seemed a canny bloke. But lacking Sir Bobby’s charisma or gravitas, it is hard to get the players to take him seriously. With his background as a simple backroom man and the complete lack of any support from the board and management, everybody knows he is just a stop-gap. I had hoped perhaps his basic decency and sincerity might get him some team spirit from the players but not only do modern footballers generally
    seem a selfish, shallow bunch but Cardew just comes across as a self-serving, ineffectual and uninspired coach.

• Jeff from Benwell

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:17 AM

Some confusion here

This article cites Gourvennec as part of a list of possible successors to Cristophe Galtier who is going to NUFC

Antoine Kombouare (RC Lens), Michel Der Zakarian (FC Nantes) Jocelyn Gourvennec (EA Guingamp). Herve Renard (Ivory Coast)

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:48 AM

Jesus.H.Christ,
    Reading those quotes the man is clearly an idiot. When did we win at Anfield in the last ten years.

• Jeff from Benwell

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:50 AM

Sav
    You have used the same word as me talking about Carver – S I M P L E.
    To be a competitor in the modern world of manager or head coach (in this case the title is meaningless) you have to be , part psychologist , part slave driver , part father confessor , a great stroker of egos , and a consummate man manager (apparently Fergie could quote verbatim all the latest textbooks on motivation)
    This remit is way beyond JC’s capabilities , not through any badness of character as some fools on here would have it.
    If the rumours about Remi Garde being offered the job on a temporary basis until June are true , this means the NUFC exec had doubts about JC when Pardew walked. However it is difficult to see what else they could have done other than stay with the least disruptive option and limp to seasons end.
    There was always the possibility and hope (now dispelled utterly) that we get lucky and unearth a coaching gem.
    Never mind I think (hope) we are safe

• Jeff from Benwell

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:56 AM

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 12, 2015 at 6:01 AM

Jennifer,
    Well a whopping 87% of Chronicle readers must be pea brains because it looks like the boycott has a lot of support. Considering you seem so happy with our current predicament I would suggest it is you who that is a mackem WUM.

• one fine day

Apr 12, 2015 at 6:11 AM

good job we weren’t at home then otherwise the tea lady would have felt carvers wrath 🙂 too.
    we saw yesterday how bad sunderland are in truth yet our shower of gutless wonders made them look like Barcelona .
    Carver is out of his depth yes but the players need to looking in the mirror
    As for the tea lady… I’d have played her just on the right side of a 433 . she’d have put in more of a shift than sammi

• catchy in norway

Apr 12, 2015 at 6:40 AM

Jail

I hope even 50% take part would love 87%.

but im losing faith in some of my fellow fans, im starting to think they get what they deserve 🙁

• sing in the corner

Apr 12, 2015 at 7:21 AM

Putting myself in the shoes of the players in the dressing room…I couldn’t see me being inspired or motivated very much by what Carver has to say, if his press / media quotes are anything to go by. And as second fiddle to Pardew before this, his track record / pedigree isn’t something a player would reflect on / respect. What has he done in the game?

• fray bentos

Apr 12, 2015 at 7:43 AM

Alan Pardew ain’t doing that bad is he?!

Guess he wasn’t that bad was he

• sing in the corner

Apr 12, 2015 at 7:52 AM

Its a sign of the times that the only pleasure I can derive from football right now is watching the scum capitulate…but my God wasn’t that DELICIOUS? Especially after having to watch Jermaine Defect’s smug face gobbing on all week on Sky.. And after having my nose rubbed in it all week by gloating mackems. Thankyou very much!

• nearly

Apr 12, 2015 at 7:57 AM

LESH @6

carver shown a weakness again,losing his temper in front of his players REALLY

• scout

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:05 AM

Santon told him, you are a mug.

• lochinvar

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:42 AM

Carver Reveals What He Did After Sunderland Embarrassment

Please tick relevant answers
    1. Behaved like a spoilt 5 year old
    2. Ate a pie
    3. Looked in the mirror
    4. Went on the lash
    5. Bent down put my head between my legs and kissed my ass goodbye

• thevirus

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:03 PM

This man just makes me feel sick to the pit of my stomach, he seems to know next to nothing about football, football tactics or even simple man management, but it’s obvious how he got the job it was given to him by people who know nothing about football,football tactics or man management. How sir Bobby put up with this fool is beyond me, carver is obviously dumber than the day he was born because he certainly didn’t learn anything from the genius of Sir Bobby