Former Star Attempts To Motivate Newcastle Players

It’s got to the level that Peter Beardsley has come out and given an interview in the Chronicle, and his words seem to be directly aimed at the Newcastle players, and Peter is trying to encourage our players to fight for Newcastle, when they wear the famous black and white shirt – including tomorrow night at Anfield.

peter beardsley 99

Peter Beardsley – players must give the effort – in every game

The fact that Peter thinks that’s necessary shows just how bad things are at the moment, when some of our players just don’t bother turning up for games – including the disaster that was our game at the Stadium of Light a week ago.

This is some of what Peter has said in the Chronicle before we play one of Peter’s other clubs – Liverpool – tomorrow night at Anfield:

“You look at the Arsenal game when the team played well but still lost.”  “The players got applauded off.”  “I’ve been there. I have been lucky, I wasn’t a great, great player but I ran around.” “I had bad days and I missed penalties and missed chances.”

“But they knew I was giving everything I had.” “People recognize that. People recognize that you care.” “I am really lucky in that sense. I played a lot of games for this club and people thought more of me than we should have.”

“But I ran around. That’s the thing I always say to the kids here.”  “You can have the talent, but I always say: ‘Make sure you run around’.”  “That is non-negotiable at our level. You can’t say: ‘I’ll run around now and again’.”

“They loved me because they knew I was giving my maximum every time.”

A number of our players are literally playing for their Newcastle careers – and their contracts run out at the end of June.

As it stands at the moment it could well be that Jonas, Ryan Taylor and Sammy Ameobi don’t have their contracts renewed – and it seems of those the player with the best chance of earning a new deal is Ryan.

It would be great to get something out of the game tomorrow night, and you never know what you can to do unless your really go for it.

And then we play Tottenham at home on Sunday afternoon, when Fab Coloccini will return from suspension, and we could even have a decent back four of Janmaat, Williamson, Coloccini and Ryan Taylor.

It’s our chance to get the double over Spurs this season – and that would be something positive – if unusual.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Liverpool?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

You can follow us on our three social media sites.

• MacToon

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:28 PM

Oh great, that’s all we need.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:30 PM

He is right…players need to work hard in games. Whether that is running back to help defend or making lots of attacking runs to create space and options.

• Belfast

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:31 PM

What Mactoon? People running around?

• Transfer Sage

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:32 PM

mactoon

From previous…well I know for a fact, my step-uncle herd it from beardos mouth when chatting that 6 of them refused to travel.

If they were injured why would you even ask them to travel.

And why would they all be injured for the one game when all fir the game before and after.

• MacToon

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:32 PM

Wonder if they’ll wheel out the t lady to apologise for the mackem loss next?

• MacToon

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:34 PM

I know sage. The official line was 5 injuries, which miraculously cleared up and 1 rested.
    My post was tongue in cheek and expecting someone else to reply that exact answer 😉

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:35 PM

Run Forest run !

• Transfer Sage

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:36 PM

mactoon

Yeh I guessed, just thought I’d add a bit more fuel to see if we get a spark.

• Belfast

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:37 PM

Run like the wind Forest

• MacToon

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:39 PM

Blackley and Brownlie // Apr 12, 2015 at 9:33 PM
    Transfer
    I agree. Except Mactoon doesn’t seem to see it as a smart move to pay back the banks

—————————–

There you go again.

I have never ever said it wasn’t a smart move paying off the debt, another straw man argument Blackley and Brownlie.
    What has happened though is we’ve never as fans benefitted from it as Ashley uses it as an excuse to give SD free advertising.

You really need to wise up straw man!

• Belfast

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:41 PM

Go running that’s what to do, go running, running it is good for you!

T shirts on sale from sports direct on Monday.

70% off obviously….

• scout

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:44 PM

Are we really telling blokes on 20-80 grand a week to try. Oh my days.

• MacToon

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:45 PM

One of the best players I’ve seen in B&W but as an Ashley employee – pfffft!

• Transfer Sage

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:47 PM

Blackley

From previous…you say if you pay off debt you can’t buy players, there’s a choice.

Well Ashley paid off the debt with a loan from himself, not with the clubs money. That means that the money the club is making could be used to buy players.

Therefore, as he isn’t reclaiming the money back yet, we should in theory be able to have our cake and eat it too until he sees fit to claw back his cash.

• Belfast

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:05 PM

Was going to ask what a Strawman argument is but never mind lol

• Belfast

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:09 PM

I’m thinking Scarecrow Wizard of Oz for some reason. If I only had a brain?

Never mind 🙂

• giimps

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:09 PM

even if the interest was 10 mil a year ,the advertising and other money filtering to SD would have made a huge dent in the debt by now.
    The cost of everything else has gone up so advertising would have done (especially since the PL is a worldwide brand, I reckon we could have sold the advertising rights for 15-20 mil per season ,especially with the rugby world cup coming as well as any other corporate events (concerts etc).
    If the club was being run correctly and all revenue streams maximised , we would have no debt and would be making 30-40 mil a season profit to put into the playing staff.
    We are deliberately being held back as a club by the owner and his reluctance to do this.
    Its his club though and he is obviously using the debt from NUFC to offset profits on other businesses owned by Mash Holdings IMHO.
    As long as the slug is here we will owe the debt and not try to pay it off or increase revenue which may improve the playing staff………this is what happens when a football clubs owner has no interest in improving the club and is only using the club as a tax write off for his other businesses IMHO.
    Have the clubs accounts been released yet to see where the additional (missing money) operating costs have gone and what the wages to turnover percentage is now.
    Since last season he has dropped Santon, 60k, Marveaux, 60k, Yanga Mbiwa 60k Ba 80k, Remy 80k Ben Arfa 80k?? Fraudew 40k (guesstimated wages to highlight the point) from the wage bill and those players have been replaced by non purples on <40k (if they have been replaced at all).
    At the end of the season, I believe we will lose Collo 80k , jonas 75k Cisse 60k and probably Tiote 6ok so the 1st 11 "purples" will be down to 2 0r 3 on substantially less wages than when we were relegated.
    This got me thinking, the way he has been offloading high wage earners (Quality players) even on loan to get them of the wage bill with the probability of a fee for them after the loan has ended means the lack of squad depth and quality means if we do get relegated……..we will have a sustainable wage bill for the championship with championship players by next year.
    He wont want to go down, but if he can stay in the PL with the championship level players on championship level wages ,when the big money does come in, he will have a team whos wages are about 20% of turnover and all he needs to do is be better than 3 other teams each year….a fCT HE IS ONLY TOO AWARE OF……CNUT

• BandB

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:12 PM

belfast,

It is an argument in which one side misrepresents the argument of the other side in order to attack and destroy the fake target they have created, taking down the real opponent with it.

It is good to see some of our regular posters back and assuming their natural leadership role now there is a fair wind behind them.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:13 PM

Mactoon

You say you never said it wasn’t a smart move to pay off the debt. However, you did say this:

“There was a debt to pay for the ground expansion. The debt was in the form of a mortgage from the bank.
    Do you think the bank said “here’s the money, don’t worry about paying it back. Give us some when you can”. Of course there was provision to pay the debt back. That mortgage would have ended this year if Ashley hadn’t have bought the club.

So why don’t you give Ashley credit for paying off the debt? You mention free advertising. I’ve been saying for years that this was a petty argument because it’s small in comparison to the benefit of Ashley’s backing. Claude Littner who ran Spurs thought exactly the same as me. I was interested in his view so I asked him. I respect his opinion. He thought I was criticising Ashley. It seems you’ve either got to love him or hate him. There’s no room for anyone in between.

• Belfast

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:13 PM

New I was right lol

A straw man is a common reference argument and is an informal fallacy based on false representation of an opponent’s argument.[1] To be successful, a straw man argument requires that the audience be ignorant or uninformed of the original argument.

The so-called typical “attacking a straw man” argument creates the illusion of having completely refuted or defeated an opponent’s proposition by covertly replacing it with a different proposition (i.e., “stand up a straw man”) and then to refute or defeat that false argument (“knock down a straw man”) instead of the original proposition.[2][3]

This technique has been used throughout history in polemical debate, particularly in arguments about highly charged emotional issues where a fiery, entertaining “battle” and the defeat of an “enemy” may be more valued than critical thinking or understanding both sides of the issue.

In the United Kingdom the argument is also known as an Aunt Sally, after the pub game of the same name where patrons throw sticks or battens at a model of an old woman’s head.[4][5]

• welshgeordie9

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:16 PM

I wondered why the ball was getting bigger! Then it hit me.

Ha ha ha

• MacToon

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:17 PM

Exactly Blackley, where in that statement that you so kindly provided do I say “it wasn’t a smart move to pay off the debt”?

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:17 PM

Giimps

How much did we used to get for shirt advertising? How much do other Premier League clubs get for ground advertising?

• optimistic prime

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:19 PM

Let Black Beard sail his ship off the end off the world.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:19 PM

blackley

I’ve been reading some online articles today, they say that stadium advertising varies massively club to club, whether the board is crowd or camera facing, whether it’s static or electric display etc…there were no figures given.

However I saw clubs charge to sponsor he match ball, stoke charge £2500 for that honour, I’ve never even heard of a match ball sponsor so surely electronic displacy advertising for TV cameras must be a good amount, over the season it will add up.

It may well be less than the interest, it may be more, I honestly can’t say. But at least when we were paying interest we were also paying off the debt. We currently are giving the advertising as a form of interest but not actually clearing the debt.

THIS IS THE IMPORTANT BIT

The official reason from the club though is that we can’t sell the advertising…all other clubs in the football league sell advertising, so surely must question why the club can’t sell it if they are trying as they say.

• BandB

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:21 PM

MacToon, Jail, Ruddy.

Good to see you lads getting a handle on things.

Where HAVE you been?

• Belfast

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:22 PM

Thanks bandb, just ignore the Wizard of oz stuff.

Welsh probably the first joke of yours that I’ve found funny.

That’s progress!

• Mister Tuff

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:22 PM

Blacklie – I posted my commets about your intransigence and blockheadedness in a debate over a year ago to remind fellow posters and yourself that you had your jacksie firmly whooped then in the debate.
    Seems like fellow posters today are well and truly giving your jacksie a further whooping in todays debate(s).
    You have demonstrated you have no interest in what others say.

• Sleepin Giant

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:23 PM

“Relegation is always a worry. We need to start picking up the points somewhere no matter how we do it. I’m not too concerned with how we play, I’m more concerned with the final result”
    The penny drops for Mr J Carver Head Coach (Jan-May 2015) Newcastle United

Blackley – previous thread

“You need profit to invest in players.”

No you don’t. The entire economy is fuelled by debt.You don’t need profit to invest in anything. You need to be able to borrow money and make enough of a return on your borrowings to pay the debt off.
    97% of the UK money supply is created as debt by the banks.

If football clubs only ever invested in players when they made a profit the transfer market would simply not exist.

• welshgeordie9

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:24 PM

Blackley and Brownlie

Well I’ve got to hand it to you, you haven’t been on here for a while and you have spent all evening arguing.

Ha ha ha

• Transfer Sage

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:25 PM

sleepin giant

Well said. Look at even how personal finances operate, we buy houses, cars, etc on loans….we then work to earn more than our debt to pay off the debt.

• BandB

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:25 PM

Giant,

You are exactly right.

• welshgeordie9

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:27 PM

Happy to help belfast mate, happy to help, besides i thought I would do one with everybody arguing and not letting me join in.

Ha ha ha

• optimistic prime

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:27 PM

Vukic had another decent game for Rangers, thanks to Ashley 😉

• welshgeordie9

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:30 PM

This morning on the way to work I drove into the back of a car, at some lights, whilst not really paying attention.
    The driver got out and he was a dwarf.
    He said, “I’m not happy.”
    I replied, “Well, which one are you then?”

Ha ha ha

• BandB

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:31 PM

Dopey?

• mindshaft

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:31 PM

haha – run around… thats it? really … the best advice we can give to youngsters and pros alike????

• MacToon

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:31 PM

I’ve more or less always been here B&B, I did say. Just my timings were never right. Having read through and caught up on the blog say by 1 or 2 am. there was little or no point commenting on a discussion that had completed 12 hours earlier. Also there have been more and more people arguing what would have been my points which has been good to see and kind of makes it unnecessary to post.
    Nowadays though, I hate getting involved with gobshites on here.

Hi Belfast, how’s tricks 😉

• Ciaran

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:32 PM

Veiled insults to try and bait them out into the open and kill with kindness. Obvious intellectual curiosity (or insecurity) quite sad really.

I suppose I shouldn’t huff and puff too much, that fair wind of mine might change soon…

• MacToon

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:32 PM

I thought there was a limit to how much we could borrow (or owe) though? Eh Blackley?