Players Must Overcome 21 Years Of History – But Do They Even Care?

Newcastle may be the worst form team in the Premier League at the moment, and when we’ve watched teams fighting relegation over the weekend – like Burnley against Arsenal yesterday and QPR against Chelsea today – both home sides lost by just 1-0,  but Burnley and QPR were unlucky not to take anything out of their games against the top two sides in the league.

moussa sissoko after scoring

Moussa Sissoko – we need more of this from the Frenchman

What we saw from Burnley and QPR were players totally committed to the cause of avoiding relegation, and what we’ve seen from the Newcastle team in the last three away games, are far too many of our players not committed to any Newcastle cause.

Whether that’s a reflection of John Carver’s motivational skills or not we don’t know, but with Manchester City losing 4-2 at Manchester United this afternoon, Liverpool will be all ready for this game against Newcastle.

It will be a chance for the Reds to pick up 3 points on City, and get within 4 points of them with just six games to play – and they can still make the Champions League next season.

Newcastle are still 9 points above the drop zone, and with every game that goes by that the bottom four sides don’t win, it makes us that much safer.

So the Burnley and QPR defeats were good news for Newcastle this weekend, and we are safer – but only because the sides beneath us in the league failed to win – not because we have done anything to help ourselves.

If we lose tomorrow night it will be five defeats in a row, and close to what we achieved last year in the second half of the season, when we lost six games in a row from 25th Match – 28th April last year and scored only one goal in those games.

Sound familiar?

Our players must be fully awake in the first 30 minutes tomorrow night, because the Reds will come straight at us – so we are just hoping the players show some commitment and passion tomorrow night.

We certainly haven’t seen that in the last three games on the road.

The last time a Newcastle side won at Anfield was way back in 1994 – 21 years ago – so there’s the opportunity to get a shock result and show that when our layers are in the mood and committed, we can even be a decent side.

If our players show passion, courage and commitment – anything is possible in the Premier League – including tomorrow night at Anfield.

Here’s hoping.

You can follow us on our three social media sites.

• Schwefelberg

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:56 PM

Just do not got to the next Games. Play Cards, make Models, take your Wife out for a Meal. Rebuild your life for a better Tomorrow!

V for Veto!

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:56 PM

Blackley,
    We have gone out of the cup to lowly opposition every single year that Ashley has been here. Why ? There’s no money in it !

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:02 PM

Toon 11

I’ve been making that very point on Twitter. If you want to protest, do it against Sports Direct. They will buckle quicker than Ashley and can press his buttons far more effectively than the fans can.

• Teamstoof

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:03 PM

Hi,
    Me and my friend are coming from Sweden to watch spurs game.
    I wonder if this boycott will happen?
    I understand way people want it. But for us two it will be so sad cause it’s my friends first home match.

• BandB

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:04 PM

Tino

Let’s keep this really simple.

Go shop at you local Sports Direct store. Accept their invitation to browse and try on their fabulous range of quality products. Ask for lots of assistance.
    You are under no obligation to buy.

At the protest, don’t wave the rule book under their noses. Point your phone camera at them. and any assisting police officers, and tell them you are posting it on Twitter #AshleyOut.

Live blog the protest.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:05 PM

Jail
    You’re right. Premier League status is more important. The biggest clubs have been dumped out to lowly opposition because the cups are no longer a priority. Money rules everywhere. It’s not just at NUFC.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:07 PM

Teamstoof

I wouldn’t worry about the boycott. Last time there was about 60 or 70 outside the Gallowgate. That’s right Ciaran, eh?

• Schwefelberg

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:09 PM

@ Teamstoof There will still be a big Crowd. Probably only 1/2k will stay away.

• Ciaran

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:09 PM

One minute you’re my friend the next you’re my foe? It’s like it’s all one big experiment to you isn’t it? 😉

Come off it mate, surely you’ve got better things to be doing.

• Schwefelberg

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:10 PM

Not that I agree with that. If you love the Club stay away!

• Transfer Sage

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:15 PM

Ciaran

It baffles me why people are happy with Ashley. I can almost understand people accepting it as the only option but not being happy with it

Since when did fans come to only think of finance and not of football. The premier league is the richest league in the world, there is plenty of money to have a competitive squad pushing top 10 regularly, being constantly ripped apart without replacements doesn’t do any good.

• Harley

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:16 PM

I honestly don’t think I could stand Carvers bollocks if we won tomorrow night. The crap that would come out of his mouth would be unbearable.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:16 PM

BandB

Nothing to say people can’t picket outside of SD shops either. You don’t need to inform the police in advance like you do with a march.

As long as you are not posing a risk/danger to the public there is no reason you can’t boycott.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:18 PM

Blackley

I understand your financial argument, I disagree, but can see why people would believe the club.

I just question why people aren’t angry from the footballing side alone, regardless of money we are told we can’t compete with the likes of “swansea and southampton”….now we need to be asking why.

We get the same TV money roughly and we have much higher gates and fan base for merchandise, so surely it’s mismanagement at the very least.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:21 PM

Transfer

You need profit to invest in players. Then you need to spend the money prudently. It’s only recently we’ve banked any profit.

Lets see what Ashley does in the summer. Unlike some, I don’t carried away with signings. You wouldn’t hear me applauding the fact we got Cabella or De Jong. I feared relegation. Still do.

• MacToon

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:22 PM

I am calling you a straw man Blacklie because you’ve made straw man arguments all night. My nickname for you, the straw man, it seems appropriate.

Also, let’s not forget how this evening’s discussions began after you said you’d talked with Claude Littner (apparently from the apprentice and ex Spurs man).
    You actually asked for advice countering the argument of SD’s free advertising at SJP because you are in the minority here.
    How cringe worthy. He also thought you were a tossa even though you tried to brownnose him!

• Ciaran

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:22 PM

Sage

It’s baffled me for years why fans concerned themselves with the financial side of things. Some people should try a day out at non-league clubs. These are fans of clubs who not only aren’t in the PL, but aren’t in the football league yet they still aspire for more, they still want to see a competitive side they can be proud of and they still long for success.

However, some of our fans are willing to put up with a side that is deliberately not competing either in the league or the cups and are willing to have a side that not only we can’t be proud of, but I for one am actively ashamed of. They do all of this because we’ve got financial stability and are in the Premier League.

I’d rather have a club in League Two to be proud of than this shambles in the Premier League that’s for sure.

• BandB

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:23 PM

Schwefelberg,

The idea isn’t to stay away.

It’s to attend and then protest outside.

And to persuade those who are going in, which will be the vast majority, to give them hell’s bells once inside.

The aim, surely, is to find common cause between those who want to boycott, and those who aren’t ready.

Everyone has an opportunity to have their say.

And if you are perfectly happy, then perhaps Blackley can lead a rousing chorus of “there’s only one Mike Ashley.”

Which, no matter how much the protest achieves, is surely the least likely thing to occur.

• Pokat

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:24 PM

Blackley from previous mate thanks for the fiscal diligence quiz post ha ha but I don’t need your credulity all I need is to say my view on what I see happening not rifle through hard accountancy evidence. Look at our club fighting relegation again perhaps. Definitely a crap side, definitely a low morale club and while Ashley has us stuff the bookwork we are a pack of stiffs no end of it in sight. What’s he said to you to make you happy with it?

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:24 PM

Blackley@6,
    So on that logic you are happy that we’ll never again compete in the cups simply because mid table or survival is what it’s all about, what is the fcukin point man !

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:24 PM

Transfer

I think the management at the club is terrible. I hope for vast improvement. But you and I can’t buy the club and run it. Even if we had the money to buy it, we’d have the same constraints and problems that the club’s facing. Some people think there’s a magic wand that will produce a one way ticket to success.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:27 PM

When we went out the cup the last time, I think we rested one player. Opposition clubs rest players. What has bothered me far more than the cups is the abysmal capitulations to Sunderland.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:27 PM

Blackley

Personally I think the main thing we need is a director/managing director with the authority and ability to tell ashley what is needed and when, not just go along with whatever he is told, somebody who knows the game and what is needed from that position.

We then need a good coaching set up to get the best from whatever players we bring in, somebody who suits the signings we are making.

We then need new players, to strengthen the defence firstly and fill out the squad.

So far Ashley has done nothing to suggest he will get this right, I’ve seen it over and over with appointments. We obviously get some good players so credit for that, but as a premier league team we should be getting good players.

Yes you need money to spend, otherwise you pile up debt, but sometimes as a business you need to borrow money or pay up front at the right time then can make savings later, it’s a successful model in business.

As for the debt it’s great that it was paid off so interest was gone, that’s a smart move in anyones eyes. The issue is though that we now have that hanging over us, holding us to Ashley’s whim…there should be some plan in place to be paying it off in installments, we’ve turned a profit for a few years now so should have been using it to reduce debt.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:29 PM

we actually rested 6 at leicester and those 6 refused to travel to the game as the club told us they were injured

• Mister Tuff

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:30 PM

Just over a year ago we were debating with Blacklie and Brownlie about him wanting King Percy arrested and charged for his touchline activities, nutting Meylar I recall.
    The legal situations was explained in detail to him -which he could not grasp or did not want to.
    I eventually wrote the following about him – march 2014.
    “You previously asked me what my credentials were – I indicated partially my experience and then you accuse me of bragging. I really do not know what to say you twist and corrupt everything – beats me why you come on a blog as you are only interested in your own opinion.”

Seems he hasn’t changed and is another just on the wind up.

• MacToon

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:30 PM

The pedants would say we rested 1 and 5 were injured Sage 😉

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:33 PM

Transfer

I agree. Except Mactoon doesn’t seem to see it as a smart move to pay back the banks.

You have a choice. If you pay off debt, you can’t buy players with the money and vice versa.

• stuart no9

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:34 PM

It really beats me why some fans are having a pop at those who are trying to do something positive for the club , trying to get out club back and who only want nufc to have a team to be proud of . I hope for about 30,000 inside the ground , maybe there will be more but whatever the turn out , the stay awayers should be applauded for at least trying , not criticised by people who don’t give a flying f@@k what happens to this club and only attend games for a “day out “

• MacToon

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:38 PM

I have never ever said it wasn’t a smart move paying off the debt, another straw man argument Blackley and Brownlie.
    What has happened though is we’ve never as fans benefitted from it as Ashley uses it as an excuse to give SD free advertising.

You really need to wise up straw man!

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:52 PM

Tuff

I fully understood the law. I spoke to the Chief Inspector for half an hour about the matter and he agreed it was a close run thing as to whether he charged him or not.

If you’ve got my quotes Tuff show me where I didn’t understand the legal situation. You seem to have the ones you prefer at your fingertips. Quoting yourself selectively is laughable. Quote the full exchange or nothing at all.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:58 PM

Ciaran

Non-league clubs exactly. List the boycotts at non-league clubs.

• lesh

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:40 PM

It seems that the players just aren’t turning up for Carver – he’s lost the dressing room.

He’s claiming so much of his time working with Sir Bobby yet he’s clearly learned nothing.

I trust that Penfold’s on the case and has picked up where he supposedly pressed the pause button on recruiting an HC. I suspect even his supposed sophisticated recruitment process was nothing less than lies or if not and judging by his overall performance so far as MD, mis-managed.

Of the 80 applicants he said had been received, experience tells me that he could discount 70 of those as hopefuls, pi$$ takers or the cream of the current managerial scrap heap.

If Ashley had any sense, he’d be head-hunting a replacement for Pardew, Charnley and the whole training staff – including the fabled fitness coach.

We’re run on a shoestring and as we’re all well aware, you get what you pay for.

Ashley should either see a therapist about his greed and obsession with the bottom-line or sling his hook!