Carver Refuses To Face The Truth About Newcastle

Newcastle United these days are at best a middle of the table side, and even that’s not accurate because in the last eight seasons with Mike Ashley as the owner, we have only been in the top ten twice – 5th place in 2012 and 10th place last season.

mike ashley not happy

Mike Ashley – Newcastle have poor record under this man

So Newcastle are more like a bottom half side these days, based on our finishing position in the league table, and at the moment we are in 13th place and unlikely to finish any higher than that.

Mathieu Debuchy is now at Arsenal after his £12M transfer last summer, and he made a revealing statement recently when he said he had used Newcastle as a stepping stone to get to a bigger club.

This is what John Carver said when asked about Debuchy;s statement:

“That is his opinion, his mind process.”  “When Matty Debuchy was here, I never got that impression, so you can’t be critical of him in particular because of what he has done and how he has done it.”

“Look at Gareth Bale. He went to Spurs and is now at Real Madrid. In his head he may always have thought ‘I want to play for Real Madrid or Barcelona’.”

“The fact he has ended up there, you can’t be critical of that.”  “The kid Matty, in particular, has progressed. He got a step up to the Premier League.”

“He did ever so well for us and got the opportunity to go to Arsenal and we couldn’t stand in his way, let’s be honest.”

You don’t expect Mathieu to have gone around at Newcastle telling everybody he had just joined Newcastle to move on as quickly as possible to a bigger club.

So it’s hardly surprising he said nothing about it to Carver.

The question John and Newcastle should be asking is why we couldn’t stand in his way, and why he wanted to leave for Arsenal in the first place.

It’s obviously because we don’t have enough ambition at Newcastle, and we are almost never in Europe these days.

The club is run completely as a business and not as a football club.

That’s why we sold Debuchy to Arsenal for £12M after we bought him 18 months earlier for £5.5M from Lille – simply because it was good business.

And our best players will continue to want to move on, until we get the ambition back that we had when Sir Bobby Robson and Kevin Keegan were managing the club.

John refuses to say that – even though everybody knows it’s true – as he staunchly defends the people who are running the club.

We almost misspelled that to say ruining the club – no doubt a Freudian slip.

You can follow us on our three social media sites.

• jayphoto

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:28 AM

Ibiza – completely agree i think thats how Ashley works. For instance not many of us would have accepted Mclaren back in january, most of us would jump at the chance now if its a choice of him of Desperate John

• spitfire_

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:29 AM

To “refuse” the facts, mean that you must seen the facts as they are and choose to refuse them… Carver can’t see the facts. He still thinks that he is good enough for Newcastle. He thinks that after he was around Sir Bobby this guarantee him “the knowledge”. That speaks enough.

• lesh

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:29 AM

Carver’s in denial about the state of the club, it’s aims and more to the point, his own inability to coach at Prem level.

When will Penfold tell him like it is? When somebody shakes him out of his stupor to face the realities as perceived by the world at large.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:34 AM

Jay…Exactly. It’s at the stage where having Obertan available for a game is seen as good news! 🙂

Our expectations have been lowered. We’ve also been made to feel it’s anti Newcastle to question the club and to ask for better. It’s so far from the truth. We are being played. I think more and more people are seeing that now, i’m not sure there are too many places left for Ashley to hide, the pressure if building, let’s all do our bit.

• lesh

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:35 AM

Ibiza

Carver’s trying his best to rattle your cage with yet more irritating drivel.

Just as well there are more pleasant distractions to take your thoughts elsewhere!

🙂

• Ibizatoon

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:41 AM

Lesh…It’s expected. From “I’m just a temporary hc, doing my best and we’ll see what the future holds” to basically Pardew 2.0.

The club say nothing, I assume they’re happy with things. It’s all so obvious.

Carver is only Ashleys shield if we allow him to be.

• Rotonda heights

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:43 AM

It’s funny how carver is now using the blame the foreigners card. The top 4/6/7 teams are predominantly represented by foreigners. Not a problem for them.

Carver needs to look a lot closer to home at his own shortcomings. He should heed the ” alan pardew, it’s never your fault” chants.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:45 AM

Ibiza,
    I’ve been sceptical of protests in the past, always saying that I’d be fully behind any week organised group protesting and one that has a longer term plan, rather than making it up as they go along.

From the brief email exchanges I’ve had with them they seem to have that. It could be all talk, but at the minute I think they have the best chance of getting people together. I’m hopeful.

On another note, I see Steve Wraith has ‘given up’ on any anti Ashley protesting. Not too fussed on that, but to use BandB’s phrase from last night, he is probably the biggest self aggrandising knacker in our entire fan base.

As for the fall out between people and previous protests, I really couldn’t quite get my head round it when I read back through this morning. Hopefully it is done, and we can all move forward.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:49 AM

*well not week

• Ibizatoon

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:55 AM

Rotonda…For what end game though? Is now not the time to cut out the middle men and direct aanger where it truly belongs?

Enough time has been wasted imo.

Lil…Has Wraith withdrawn? I hadn’t seen that tbh. As far as “anti-regime” PR goes, that’s probably great news. I don’t know much about him, but he genuinely irks me.

It’s good his name is out of the centre stage imo.

Great early feedback on AO.com. Until something happens, it is only talk – for me, I’ve been down that road with Ashley and he has failed me. I’m willing to give these guys a go and urge other fans to do the same.

As for last night, let’s just say it’s clear we all love this club 🙂 It is time to move on, imo, for the greater good.

With a new day comes new opportunity. HWTF.

• jayphoto

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:00 AM

Think wraith did an article in the chronicle the other day saying he’s had enough and has no heart for the club or protest anymore and just doesn’t care… think that’ll be the same for a lot of people.

• jayphoto

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:04 AM

Wish Carver would stop reminding everyone he’s a geordie. It matters none! zero! Our heroes in the past haven’t been heroes because of where they were born. Even Shearer and Beardsley. They were heroes because they were warriors or magicians! Some of the best loved Toon players in my time (most popular) have been Phillipe Albert, Rob Lee, Gary Speed, Nobby Solano and Les Ferdinand. None born within 300 miles of newcastle. The only real geordie hero we’ve had has been shearer and i’d argue we loved him because he was the best striker in the world when we signed and the greatest striker ever in the premier league. It’s the equivelent of signing Ibrahimovic now! Reckon we’d still love an ibra even though hes a serbian swede?
    Sick of the nation being told we only accept geordies. If anything its the opposite. Id say Armstrong and Dummett have more criticism because they are from the area.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Jay…It’s just another tool to make us look unreasonable and confused.

We’re going to get more and more of it and is distracts people from the main issues. It’s down to us to rise about it, focus on what is important.

I found the Wraith article. I have two thoughts. One is that he genuinely doesn’t believe fans have what it takes. The second is that he is finally putting the club before his ego for the greater good.

Either way, it’s a sign for fans to pick up the batton. What has gone on before is in the past. We shape what happens going forward.

Fans, have faith in yourself. Stop believing you have no power, if you didn’t, they wouldn’t bother trying to convince you.

• Bambams

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:11 AM

The biggest problem we have is the year we finished 5th….Ashley must of thought ‘This football stuff is a doddle’.
    Problem is we had two players who were scoring for fun in Ba and Cisse, they won us games and the points.
    Ash won’t change his way, we are making the noises that they will spend big ! That should of happened when we finished 5th not now.
    I still think we are going to finish just outside the bottom 3 maybe even 4th from bottom ! Can’t see our next win.
    Ashley has won, he hates us and in my opinion he is a petty child who wants to smirk that he is a bully rather than admit he made mistakes and got it wrong.
    He will keep taking money until his peers pat him on the back stating how well he has done making 300 million whilst the football fans suffer.
    Not until ash realises he is ultimately a failure on the football front or action fraud investigate him – will we be rid of him. I think it will be at least three more years of ash and his ways.
    IMO

• reilly

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:16 AM

“Never Surrender”

“We shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air. We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing-grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills. We shall never surrender!”
    winston churchill.
    the protests should be applauded not mocked.

• jayphoto

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:18 AM

@bambams – talk in the city is that Ashley is the most petty man going, full of spite even when it costs him.
    Have a client who’s got a box at Stoke and is good friends with Peter Coates. He was saying Peter Coates couldn’t believe that if you were going to buy a club for the reasons Ashley bought one then why the hell would you buy newcastle as their fans are the least likely in the league to accept it and that PC can’t believe we’ve given Ashley such an easy run

• Ibizatoon

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:19 AM

Lil…If you wouldn’t mind, can you drop me a quick email to ibizatoon2015@gmail.com?

Also, whilst I’m at it, no one is excluded from contacting me on that email. It’s a time of unity.

• beermonkey

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:19 AM

morning all

Ibiza

I live in the south and all I get in the pub at the moment is look how great pards is doing
    and he is and fair play to him but his record for us was pants I say all I get back is oh you lot never liked him or gave him a chance it does my head in

but what I have noticed just before and after there was some well written stuff on Ashley kicking about and it seems that people not just us as fans but general football fans are looking at him as a cause

I think some of this is to do with the press and to some extend how well pardew is doing with his squad
    either way its not a bad thing

• Bambams

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:20 AM

Jayphoto
    Just backs up what most of us think.
    Cheers for that.

• Jeff from Benwell

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:20 AM

jayphoto
    Zlatan Ibrahimovi? was born in Malmo to a muslim Dad from Bosnia and Catholic mum from Croatia .To call him half Serbian is about the worst insult you could think off !!!!!!

• Ibizatoon

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:23 AM

reilly…You do have to seriously question those who mock those who want better.

I can understand people who are cautious, but those who mock? Nah, something is up with them, surely? Truth is, they’re of little interest to me. Let them get on with it if it makes them happy.

• reilly

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:28 AM

every man and his dog can see there needs to be changes to the way the club is run,the path ashley has us on is relegation.how can any true fan not support change.

• jayphoto

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:30 AM

@jeff – sorry. just took a guess as of the last name, knew he was from Malmo and like a third of malmo is serbian immigrants.
    Must have been rough for him growing up as every balkan nationality but serbian there

• Jeff from Benwell

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:30 AM

Of the top 6 teams Liverpool have way the worst goals difference at +9.
    If we crumble tonight they will see it as an opportunity to rectify that.
    I am watching it tonight in a bar full of bindippers.
    Oh dear

• Ibizatoon

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:31 AM

beermonkey…Hey mate, he is doing very well at Palace. I’m not going to speculate as to whether he can keep it going or if he’ll fall victim to second season syndrom, it really is of no interest to us as fans of Newcastle.

People think we can take information from his performance at Palace and find answers for our problems at Newcastle. It’s not getting us anywhere and at best, will bring the blog in to old debates and “i told you so”. Not very united.

Still, Pardew going has removed Ashleys best shield and mouthpiece. Carver has been thrust in to that position, it would be a mistake for us to let the same thing happen imo.

As you say, it’s not a bad thing at all, it’s just making sure we all stay focused on the issue.

• Jeff from Benwell

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:34 AM

Jay
    He’s 6’5″ now , when he was 15 he was 6’2″ and worked as a casual labourer on Malmo docks , I don’t think he got too much shit.

• Ciaran

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:34 AM

For the record, just in case it is in any way misrepresented. I wholeheartedly support the AshleyOut.com lads. People associated with the last protests have been in touch with them and have also gave them their unqualified support.

It seems that we’ve finally reached a stage of utter despair that the pitchforks aren’t out ready to knock a group down who are trying to do something for the long term benefit of the club and that’s a refreshing change of tact from our fan base, it really is.

AshleyOut.com have got backing not only from the likes of Steve Wraith “superfan” but also from groups like the Newcastle United Supporters Trust as well as the Mike Ashley Out Campaign.

This level of support is unheard of and it is brilliant to see it. I’m going to forgo my reservations from here on out, or at least temper them. While I may doubt success, that’s not the same as hoping for failure. In fact I sincerely hope there are thousands who join in in the boycott.

What I will say is that as far as I am concerned though, a picket line has been drawn. If you are going to the game and not engaging in the boycott, you’re a scab who is betraying your fellow fans. The time for nancy pancy appeasement is over. The time for accepting people’s choices to be complicit in the sins of a man who stops nothing short of shitting on our club is over.

Don’t accept match-going scabs. Call them out and force their hand. If we want this boycott to work, and I mean truly work, it’s the only way to do it.

• jayphoto

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:35 AM

@beermonkey – think Pardew walked into a squad where they were ready made for his style. Solid defensive defenders/fullbacks, fast as wingers and a rough em up centre forward. Its what he wanted at newcastle and never got. Problem with pards is he can only play the 1 way and refuses to change when the right players aren’t available.
    He’s also still largely got a defence organised by Tony Pulis.
    Palaces troubles will come when (or if) Bolasie and Zaha move to bigger clubs or pick up injuries! You’ll see Pards trying to get strikers like Gayle/campbell to play wide. Hes also got no eye for a defender and I think they’ll probably be full of holes next season when hes made his mark.
    In 6 months when they’ve spent 25m on James Tompkins and Andy Carroll and are 14th….

• AncientC

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:39 AM

Pardew’s record at Palace isn’t going to change his record for Newcastle.

Dalglish won the league at Blackburn, does that mean Dalglish was a good Newcastle manager?

Pardew may turn out to be a good manager for Palace, it will never change the fact he was average to poor for us.

• jayphoto

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:40 AM

@ibiza – never seen someone more uncomfortable as a mouthpiece than Carver! Contradicts himself all over the place. Pardew was well suited to being a spokesperson and had experience of pressure. Think Carver is going to explode! TV meltdown after a defeat to spurs is my bet. He’ll blame the fans. The southampton incident for me showed he hasn’t the temperament.
    Always get the impression he’s not the brightest too
    Woefully out of his depth.

• jayphoto

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:41 AM

Carver Reminds me of a follow up book never written of Charlie and the chocolate factory where Charlie takes over the factory because he loves chocolate but quickly finds out hes got no idea about business, marketing or chocolate making and all he can do is eat the stock and run it into the ground.

• nut meg

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:41 AM

Good luck & best wishes guys,save our club
    Motto: “Fortiter Defendit Triumphans”
    (Latin: “Triumphing by brave defence”

• beermonkey

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Ibiza

I agree I have no interest in what palace are doing
    although I wouldn’t mind that bolaise

whether you are pro or anti Ashley I think most would agree the club is not being run right
    and that is where the common ground lies
    i would maybe start there rather than trying to remove Ashley

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:43 AM

Ibiza,
    Have sent an email to you mate.

Beer,
    I live in Malawi, and all I get is look how well Pards is doing!!

• Sav

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:44 AM

I have to say, I think Cardew has understood where the club is at perfectly. We are well below Arsenal in quality, ambition, and trophies and any player who wants to leave Newcastle for Highbury/Emirates ought to be applauded.
    That is the truth.
    Its just a damn shame Cardew doesn’t see it should be a disgrace to us and he should aim to do something about it.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:47 AM

Ciaran,
    Good to have you back.

I’m not sure how your views got misrepresented, I read back through yesterdays thread and it didn’t come across at all like you didn’t support the campaign.

Wraith may have given it his backing but he also said he had given up,anyway it is irrelevant at the individual level. It is only as a collective that we can have an impact. The AO.com campaign from what they have said to me, seem to have a strategy and a longer term plan for a campaign. Let’s hope they can act on it, and provide a platform for a more united base.

I think everyone is realistic that it will be difficult to succeed, but that doesn’t mean there is little point in trying.

• Sav

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:47 AM

Pardew never said anything as crass and defeatist as this from our own Geordie JC. I don’t know what sort of DNA he’s got but it ain’t the same as mine. The idiot makes my blood boil.

• beermonkey

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:48 AM

jayphoto

not long after pards took over here i remember him saying he didn’t like going into clubs mid way through the season as its harder to implement what he wanted to so would not change to much till pre season
    made sense to be fair

did any1 watch the masters last night

• Jeff from Benwell

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:48 AM

The annoying thing is that I think the regime already “gets” it and have plans in place to rectify the situation in Summer (their hands are tied until then ) but the gobshites will claim all kudos and credit from their activities around the ground .

• AncientC

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:48 AM

I find it worrying that Carver is working with professional footballers, and seems to identify team work as the main priority of his tenure. Carver is not working with an under 13s side, I am quite sure career professionals know what team work is.

It is going to take more than team work, character, and, effort to overcome the problem of playing hoofball to Perez playing as the lone striker.