It’s A Gut Check For Newcastle Players At Anfield

John Carver has talked about the game tonight at Anfield, and we have to hope that we play a lot better than we have over the last three games on the road – and if we don’t – we could well be taken to the cleaners by a strong Liverpool side, who have a chance to make up three points on Manchester City in this round of games.

John Carver  in white_3151934b

John Carver – will pick team based on character

Newcastle have lost four games in a row as Carver has had trouble most of the time in getting the best out of the players he has available – although there’s only about 16 senior players currently available to play – so he’s not exactly spoiled for choice.

What’s been wrong with Newcastle this year under Carver’s leadership is a lack of character and fight (and guts) in the team, with too many players not willing to give it all for the side.

John Carver will pick the players he thinks can get the job done at Anfield,  and who will not wilt under pressure, as a number of our players did at Sunderland last time out.

This is what John has said:

“Maybe I need to change the team to start with,” “Maybe I need to change a few positions of one or two players, and hope that sparks something.”

“I waited until Wednesday before I held a team meeting to tell them what I thought, and it wasn’t one of those meetings where the players had their say, I said what I had to say, and that was it, it was non-negotiable.”

“I won’t just pick a side solely on ability, it will be about characters, too.” “Going to Anfield you are going to need characters. I want to see some energy. I didn’t see energy last weekend.”

“We talked about out-working Sunderland, and they out-worked us again. We can’t let that happen against Liverpool.” “It doesn’t need me to tell the players they’re playing for their futures and for their families.”

“This group of players usually responds after a disappointment so let’s see how they do.”

It will be interesting to see what team John will start tonight and those are good words from the 50 year-old Geordie coach.

But he also has a habit of talking a good game, and then the players are simply hopeless in the game and look all at sea.

What we want to see are the players playing their hearts out for the cause – and we have seen that in very few games this year.

Newcastle have won only two games out of thirteen this year, and we have dropped from 9th place to 13th place in the league table.

This will be a gut check for Newcastle players at Anfield tonight.

You can follow us on our three social media sites.

• lesh

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:32 AM

Jeez, if Carver’s quotes say anything it’s that Carver’s desperate to try to gain some credibility.

It’ll be interesting to see how motivated to play for him.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:41 AM

Lesh…I don’t know what is is about Carver that actually winds me up more than Pardew ever did. Please don’t worry anyone, I’m not opening up that debate and shall not be requesting him to come back 🙂

I cut Pardew “some” slack as has no direct connection to NUFC. I may not have liked it, but it was never anything but a job to him. That might be unfair on Carver. Not sure really.

I suppose there is another part of me that had hoped I’d be proven wrong. That if Pardew was fired (he would have thought someone would pay money to take him – that would have been laughed off the blog) the club might bring in someone decent or even with promise to be decent.

Still. There’s always this summer.

Come on people, any one who can, show you care and show you can unite. Join your fellow fans for the good of our club.

NEWCASTLE UNITED.

Off to bed. Bloody knackered. Sweet dreams one and all. Not you Belfast, I don’t wish you nightmares of anything, just not sweet dreams. Mediocre dreams? Yeah, that works. Christ Ibiza, this is getting in the way of going to sleep.

Night all.

• stuart no9

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:46 AM

Excuse me if I’m being picky here , but when did we last respond after a disappointment ???? Na , can’t think

• Belfast

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:47 AM

I know what it is Ibiza, he frowns after every sentence.

Pardew had botox.

• Belfast

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:51 AM

Bit worrying that he’s only thinking about making changes now lol we’ve been terrible for weeks.

Stop playing Gouffran centre midfield, and Colback left back would be a good start.

• Mag52

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:32 AM

“……change a few positions of one or two players”.
    Moving round the deck chairs on the Titannic ?
    Krul up front as lone striker anyone ?
    With the best will in the world, JC has got his work cut out with a squad as paper thin as this one.