Carver Still Positive Even After Five Defeats On The Trot

Newcastle have been woeful this year and we have shown some poor form in the last five games, all of which we have lost – but we played well in patches tonight, although it still seems far too easy to score against us and Liverpool managed to get two goals, one in each half to win the game.

john carver in blue

John Carver – still positive

This is what John Carver told Sky Sports after the game tonight:

“I thought it was good reaction after last weekend.” “We had energy and caused Liverpool some real problems and it was a huge decision that changed the game when Perez went down under Lovren’s challenge.”

“I’ve looked at it. At the time I thought it was stone-wall penalty and looking back at it, it was.” “We were tentative in the first 10 minutes but we grew into the game and started believing we could actually do something.”

“We had a little bit of pressure on their goal. We didn’t get the penalty and Ayoze Perez forced an outstanding save from the goalkeeper. We were right in the game.” We came here for three points and we’ve got none and that’s disappointing.”

“But I cannot fault the effort that we gave tonight.” “I did last weekend and rightly so but we’ve had a go tonight and it’s disappointing. Last weekend was hard to take but at least we’ve restored some pride.”

“I think he’s quite fortunate to get a yellow rather than a red if I’m being perfectly honest.”  “The fact that he’s given a yellow and another it should be a one match suspension, but he’s already been sent off this season so it will be two.”

“Two’s better than three and that’s how we have to look at it.”

“We have six cup finals and we need to pick up some points by hook or by crook. That is why our fans are going to be important to us. I have enough belief in this group of lads and if we see anything near what I saw tonight there won’t be a problem.”

We definitely should have had a penalty and of course goals change games – and the referees never even have to explain why they didn’t give the penalty.

Next up is Tottenham on Sunday afternoon, and on the positive side of things, we at least will have Coloccini back and maybe Rolando Aarons too.

Here’s hoping.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At Liverpool?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

You can follow us on our three social media sites.

• gazzaforever

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:17 AM

Beardsley till the end of the season.

• toonarmydownsouth

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:18 AM

How the hell is a 2-0 loss a good response

• RUNAWAY777

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:18 AM

this so called man carver has no pride if he did he would walk but his wife says hes no good at home.

• andrew84

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:37 AM

Thank god for Coloccini…..

Just shows how bad things are. Relying on another want-away coming back from a daft suspension.

• one fine day

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:37 AM

If we have a crowd of more than 40k on Sunday then I am done and we deserve all we get .
    we have been mugged for 8 years
    enough is enough
    Even Sunderland showed us how to do a walk out properly FFS.
    38 years and never felt this way about them .
    ash may as well have bulldozed the site and put a mall on it all those years back for what he has done for football (in a metaphorical sense he has) in our city.
    # lets loose this letch
    runaway 777
    carvers sister sounds like she would have more ability to fire up this shower into something resembling a football team.

• Toonacious T

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:57 AM

The chickens are coming home to roost. I half suspect Sissoko was looking a way out as his ego just couldn’t take it anymore. He, like others before him and currently, is wishing he was at another club. There is no joy to be had from the Newcastle United experience under Ashley. Not as a fan and, not even as a player ffs.

• Thump

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:49 AM

> Lose 2-0
    > Good response

Pick one.

• Shot Bru

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:10 AM

Thump

We were lucky or it was positive to have scored Nil!?!

• leonado_keng

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:21 AM

Only one who take accountabity is Mike Ashley deserved to got fired out of club

• Brutooon

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:46 AM

we got:
    1) One worst owner. Enuff said

2) a clueless coach / wannabe manager. A geordies by heart but didnt show the passion of a geordies

3) a MUTE captain. the only captain in the world who NEVER speak nor lead

4) a league 2 defender (Williamson) who keep making mistakes and AUTOMATIC first team. did i mention he never WON any headers? and he is the reaso for 99.99% of the goals we concede !!!!!

5) a centre midfield ANITA who dont know how to pass the ball forward. he be a good fullback than midfield

6) a C- type of players – Gouffron, Obertan, Sammy, etc

• MadisonToon

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:47 AM

So if you can’t fault the players, JC, then whose fault is is that we didn’t score or keep a clean sheet?

• Brutooon

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:48 AM

the fault of:

“injuries”

“suspension”

‘bla bla bla” – JC

• Sav

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:33 AM

I thought we were a lot better against a Liverpool side that looked no great shakes. Prerez did well with what he had although playing up front on his own is killing his game but he harried well. Cabella chased, too but didn’t have much of the ball. Anita did well at RB which is not his favoured side. Abheid was positive. Colback did what he does. Krul did well and couldn’t be faulted for the goals and Janmaat was probably our MOTM and by far the leader on the pitch.. Taylor, Obertan, Willo and Sissoko were the most disappointing. Worst of all was Mason. The penalty was a shocker and Sissoko’s first yellow was a joke as well.

• Sav

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:40 AM

We had a seven match season before this and now have 6 cup finals. Exciting isn’t it?
    After the boycotted Spurs game it’ll be 5 Europa Cups, 4 Champions League finals, 3 World Cups, 2 Super Cups
    …and a Pardew in a Pear Tree.

• lesh

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:04 AM

Sav

Surely a Pardew in a pear tree?

In any event… 🙂 🙂 🙂

• lesh

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:09 AM

Yes Sav

Definately a Pardew in a Pear tree…. When we’re all pining (Pine tree, geddit?) for salvation from the parasite that is Ashley (Ash….)

He makes me sick(amore)….

Ok, I’s off.

• catchy in norway

Apr 14, 2015 at 5:01 AM

why is obertan still getting games 🙁

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 14, 2015 at 5:27 AM

Catchy…I think the answer is in how everyone else are performing!

…it’s that bad!

It seems no one are really playing for the club anymore (or for Carver for that matter). Expect a huge clear-out in the summer.

…not that it’s gonna solve anything (the problems we have goes further than that)

• Santon03

Apr 14, 2015 at 5:34 AM

If I haven’t following this team for 26yrs now and reading the comments in this blog, I would be thinking that NUFC had been winning against Liverpool at anfield regularly except this season under JC or we are the only team that unable to win at anfield this season.

I’m happy with improvement from sunderland game. The team captains are too quiet and too passive, they should be like Totti or DeRossi screaming and yelling at teammates and fans to get them pump up.

also, Salute to Liverpool fans! they gave Jonas standing ovation.

• Marty-Toon

Apr 14, 2015 at 5:45 AM

Janmaat gave the team a real lift with a couple of tough challenges and a couple of good runs.
    Why are the midfeild not the constructors of this?
    We really gave them too much room,standing of them instead of biting at their heels.
    As soon as we pressurised them you could see them making mistakes and getting rushed,surely that should be what we’re working on.

• Ron Knee

Apr 14, 2015 at 5:48 AM

Jesper
    I didn’t watch the match last night and only saw the result this morning. My immediate reaction was: Liverpool must be a crap team to only score two goals against us!
    Talk about zero expectations!

• scout

Apr 14, 2015 at 5:49 AM

Sav

the greatest post ever anywhere on the planet.

• TheToonKing

Apr 14, 2015 at 5:54 AM

so fed up with this delusional idiot. he hasn’t got a clue…

• Ron Knee

Apr 14, 2015 at 6:00 AM

TTK
    Which delusional idiot? Ashley? Charnley? Carr? Carver?

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 14, 2015 at 6:02 AM

Santon03,
    I simply don’t get your support for this regime, if we had only managed two shots on target and strung three passes together it would have been an improvement on the mackem game.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 14, 2015 at 6:21 AM

Ron…it could have been a lot worse! Not saying Liverpool let us into the game at times and we could have had a penalty!

…but the truth is we never looked dangerous and there is absolutely no code of conduct in our team. Sissoko is doing his own little protest at the Spurs game 😉

• Santon03

Apr 14, 2015 at 6:25 AM

Jail

I don’t support any regime, I only support the team.
    Since I can’t do anything about the regime, I can only give support to the team. Everyone has flaws especially this regime, I just don’t to see only the flaws. Even if this regime did exactly everything you demanded from boycott and it doesn’t work like you hope for, you will still do another boycott ask for something else and look for mistakes to blame them for the failure. So in the end you never wrong, it’s always other people mistakes.
    Again, I’m not saying this regime is great, but it’s not 100% bad.

btw, I didn’t comment about regime, I was talking about the team the players, why are you saying I was talking about supporting the regime?
    You are accusing me for something that I didn’t do.

• Ron Knee

Apr 14, 2015 at 6:30 AM

Jesper
    I was pretty sure Carver wouldn’t be our coach next season following the Sunderland disaster. But after last night’s “improved” performance, who knows? Worrying.

• Santon03

Apr 14, 2015 at 6:36 AM

Ottmar Hitzfeld is available, it will be great if we could get him.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 14, 2015 at 6:42 AM

Santon
    The regime we have are solely responsible for putting this inadequate team of management, coaches and players, by constantly defending our poor form and inept, prideless displays you are sticking up for those responsible for it. You cite the defeat last night not being the first at Anfield, more pressing matters would point at that being five defeats in a row.

• catchy in norway

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:00 AM

Jesper,

fully agree, but think about this, the team are playing bad, much worse then iv seen in a long time, when we finished 5th, we looked like more of a team, fighting to win, but for me obertan stuck out as the poor player in the team, ( apparently its confidence ) , but the team are now plying at the level he was at a few years ago, and his form has gone through the floor, he had the nerve to shake his head when he was coming off. truly awful player

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:00 AM

It wasn’t dreadful last night, so in that sense it was an improvement and a “response” to the previous showing. I think quality and younger legs showed – Willo couldn’t live with the pace and movement of the trio up top, nor could Anita or Raylor. If Aarons is fit for the next match, that is essentially what we need to do. Give Aarons, Perez and Arma license to roam and play as an attacking trio against Spurs, and the rest of the season.

Sissoko was awful again, I expected him to pick up his game on the big stage. I’m almost pleased he got himself sent off, because he is virtually undroppable, but has done very little all season to make him so. Right wing instead of Obertan or nothing for Sissoko.

Janmaat will hopefully take the captaincy against Spuds. Abeid should start again, nothing particularly outstanding, but he showed enough spirit to put himself in the frame ahead of others.

Mason had a shocker, not just against us, but there were several decisions that he failed to call for both sides. The penalty was probably the most important, and an absolute gimme, but Sissoko should have been a straight red as well as a number of niggly challenges that weren’t given in and around our box.

• Santon03

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:02 AM

Jail

I give up, even if I was talking about Kings of Leon or Radiohead, talking about Puma Swede or Lisa Ann, you will twist everything I said and saying I’m supporting MA. The only way to stop this is saying Ashley out.

Ok, Ashley out.

• catchy in norway

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:02 AM

I thought Abeid was our stand out player last night,

janmaat , collback and perez also put in a shift.

Anita should get a mention for all the stick he gets, he done a job last night

• Santon03

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:05 AM

Lilo

you need to type “Ashley out” at the end if you want to say something good about the team.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:06 AM

Catchy/Jesper,
    If Carver thinks Obertan is the answer, and the change that needed to be made from the Sunderland line up to last nights, then it tells you all you need to know about the suitability.

Less than a week ago he was hauled off at half time after a shocker for the Under 21’s. How on God’s green earth that makes him suitable for a start at Anfield still baffles me.

• Lindisfarne

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:06 AM

ZERO HOURS – ZERO AMBITION – ZERO GOALS – ZERO SUPPORT

• Sir Braveheart

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:10 AM

There’s a lot of bitchy in fighting starting around this protest for the weekend. All I really want to add is this:

Every one of us, regardless of age, gender, race, religion, sexuality, is here for one reason. We love our club. We want whats best for the club, we want to see it succeed. But, we are all unique, beautiful individuals who are going to have different ideas about how to make that happen. Some will want to boycott, some will want to go, some will want to protest, some not.

Its down to us to make that individual choice as to how we want to support our club. And if someone chooses to do something different to you, don’t give them a hard time, don’t criticise them, because they’re doing what they think is best for them and the club.

I won’t be going to the game. I’m undecided about going up to protest before and after (I live 300 miles away) but I understand those that want to attend. It’s a very personal choice, and whatever you decide to do, that choice deserves my respect, even if I don’t agree.

Whatever our differences, we are still United.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:11 AM

Santon,
    I’ll try and remember that!

Catchy,
    I’d probably go with Janmaat, but in all honesty there wasn’t really a stand out for me.

Ashley out! (Better Santon?)

• Santon03

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:13 AM

Lilo

Obertan didn’t help Raylor much and he was struggling.
    Perez, Collback, Janmaat, Abeid, Anita was great last night imo.
    I’m also impressed with Cabella workrate.