If We Have Six Cup Finals Left – We’ll Lose The Lot

After the 2-0 defeat at Liverpool last night John Carver was positive again – and we suppose we have to be grateful for small mercies – and it wasn’t a 5-0 walloping that we took at Manchester City or the 3-0 hammering at Everton – so 2-0 looked a fairly narrow defeat at Liverpool – given what could have happened.

Cardiff City v Newcastle United - Premier League

Mike Ashley – no interest in Cup Finals thank you

John Carver has lost five games on the trot now, and we lost six games on the trot at about this same time last year and scored only one goal.

So it’s interesting we have scored only one goal in our last five games – so we could equal what happened last year – not that that’s good.

We suppose that also pinpoints how we didn’t strengthen our striker options either last summer or in January – and we wonder why we cannot score goals?

Here’s some of what John Carver said after last night’s game:

“We have six Cup Finals and we need to pick up some points by hook or by crook.” “That is why our fans are going to be important to us.”

“I have enough belief in this group of lads and if we see anything near what I saw tonight there won’t be a problem.”

But Newcastle don’t – by their own admission – have any of the Cup games as high a priority as the Premier League games.

So it’s a bit ironic that John Carver has brought up Cup Finals as to how we have to approach each of the last six games of the season.

In Mike Ashley’s Newcastle United – Cup Finals do not exist – by his own policy they don’t exist – because they are of (much) lower priority and could impact how we fare in Premier League games.

And the Premier League is all that Mike Ashley thinks about, so he can continue his world-wide publicity for Sports Direct, every time Newcastle plays at the magnificent St. James’ Park.

That’s why Mike Ashley bought the club – not to win Cup Finals.

You can follow us on our three social media sites.

• BandB

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:39 PM

Ed makes very fair point.

I hope we don’t approach them like we do cup games either.

Sheeeesh!

• Our Toon

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:41 PM

B&B

I hope we don’t approach them like league games either

• BandB

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:42 PM

Our Toon

I think that’s the best observation I’ve ever seen Ed make. Wish I’d thought of it.

How you doing, by the way?

• optimistic prime

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:45 PM

Slank

I’m not looking for a Abramovich type I suspect there is fans out there looking for that. I’m not sure which year this is of “we should be able to do better” I’ve lost count.

I can understand people saying this must/maybe the year Ashley gets a decent HC players etc, yet I can see no decent reason why even a temp HC wasn’t brought in when Pardew left.

Letting M’biwa go and not replacing in the summer was a bad bad move to then ignore it in jan is just neglect.

Any extra costs for jan buys would have been covered by league placings. Pardews comp would easily have paid for a coach.

Nothing points to any change so I’ll protest, it may not affect him to much but I’ll know I got off my ass and stood to be counted.

All I want is for him to stop strangling the club and let it be the best it can on and off the pitch, I understand for that we need balance of buisness and football, at the moment it’s all one sided as it has been for 8 years with no sign of obvious improvement, on or off the pitch.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:45 PM

Ed and BandB…It’s actually hilarious. What a thing to say when you think about how fans feel about the clubs approach to cups.

Maybe JC is behind AO.com? Only joking.

• Our Toon

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:46 PM

I’m good mate, been staying away from the blog as I’d become frustrated to the plight of out once great club. I’m happy to find that a planned boycott is going ahead but I will believe it when I see it.

How have you been? Still taking the fight to the dark side on here?

• BandB

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:52 PM

Our Toon,

There will be many reasons to despair still to come.

The trick is not to.

It will come to something, even if is a small beginning.

You can’t win the lottery if you don’t buy a ticket. And you don’t expect to hit the jackpot first time.

• BandB

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:54 PM

Ibiza

Does this mean we’ll be knocked out of the league on Sunday?

• Ibizatoon

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:55 PM

OurToon…I’d also add to BandB’s post that there is no dark side on the blog. It’s just a little cloudy, but that passes.

The sun is coming, bring lotion.

Hmm…not sure that’s quite the advertisement I’ll continue running with 🙂

• Our Toon

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:56 PM

B&B

Don’t get me wrong buddy, I still take the time out to support the team etc. Still boycott all things related to mash holdings and probably always will now, but I needed to take time away after the Derby defeat. Even the poor tea lady was blamed for that debacle.

The good thing to come out of it all is that Carver won’t get the job in the summer after all, watching that game last night if they had a striker on the pitch they’d win by 6 or 7.

On a completely separate note though….just how overrated is Sterling!!

• hibbit

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:57 PM

our toon keep your chin up he is only one man we are thousands one day he will gone

• Our Toon

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:57 PM

Ibiza

Hahaha, I’ll leave the lotion but look forward to the sun shining.

Any ideas as to how I could get involved in the boycott coming up chaps?

• Ibizatoon

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:58 PM

BandB…I think it means we might win some silverware on Sunday!

Graeme…Not at all, it sums up Ashleys version of “us”.

• Jeff from Benwell

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:58 PM

All that Mash Holdings post proves is that as Lilo said , NUL is a tiny proportion of Ashley’s earnings and his endeavours to make the club viable show a foresight lightyears ahead of yer average whinging armchair keyboard warrior.

• Graeme

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:00 PM

Ibiza @ 14 – Agreed

• kapopo

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:01 PM

Every time ask fans to support but the club never really treat us as a fan… how many games do club need to play in order to get a win…

• BandB

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:02 PM

Our Toon,

I watched it on the radio last night.

And my interest in football doesn’t go much beyond Newcastle. I follow them, not football. It’s an unfortunate infection I was exposed to by irresponsible adults.

Ibiza

Did you read headtheball’s Gandhi quotation and Sir Braveheart on unity yesterday. Worth a shout out.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:04 PM

OurToon…That’s fine, you get burnt! 🙂

Things are being worked on, ideas for everyone, I promise.

Where are you based, out of interest?

• BandB

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:04 PM

Ooooh!

Mr Grumpy 🙂

• Ibizatoon

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:10 PM

BandB…I did indeed and I agree.

Oh all right, I’ll go do some digging.

• BandB

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:12 PM

Graeme

I wish I could say it was “good” read…..

thanks for posting

HWTF

• lesh

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:12 PM

Ah, a subtle use of language to get Ashley’s mind round to taking cup competitions seriously in future.

Cunning Mr Carver. I’ve underestimated your command of psychology – one of his many hidden talents.

Harrumph

• Ibizatoon

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:13 PM

headtheball // Apr 13, 2015 at 12:44 PM

First they ignore you
    Then they laugh at you
    Then they fight you
    Then you win.

Mahatma Gandhi

What stage are we at folks?
    HWTF

• Ibizatoon

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:14 PM

Sir Braveheart // Apr 14, 2015 at 7:10 AM

There’s a lot of bitchy in fighting starting around this protest for the weekend. All I really want to add is this:

Every one of us, regardless of age, gender, race, religion, sexuality, is here for one reason. We love our club. We want whats best for the club, we want to see it succeed. But, we are all unique, beautiful individuals who are going to have different ideas about how to make that happen. Some will want to boycott, some will want to go, some will want to protest, some not.

Its down to us to make that individual choice as to how we want to support our club. And if someone chooses to do something different to you, don’t give them a hard time, don’t criticise them, because they’re doing what they think is best for them and the club.

I won’t be going to the game. I’m undecided about going up to protest before and after (I live 300 miles away) but I understand those that want to attend. It’s a very personal choice, and whatever you decide to do, that choice deserves my respect, even if I don’t agree.

Whatever our differences, we are still United.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:14 PM

Didn’t even break a sweat. I was already hot!

• Lynxie

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:31 PM

Just out of curiosity, if 52,000 fans decide to stay OUTSIDE the turnstiles on Sunday, yet the club have already banked the season ticket money…..

Does that mean with even with an empty stadium (for example), our gate receipts still show us as being the second or third best supported team in the country this weekend?
    If so, exactly HOW is Fatty supposed to give a monkeys?

• dannitoon