Newcastle’s Staggering Fall From Grace Since January

We’ve had the usual strange interviews from John Carver in the lead-up to the home game against Tottenham on Sunday, with the interim coach saying he’s got the very best out of the players available to him this year – even though that’s just two wins in 14 matches – and yesterday he made the statement that he is thinking of replacing Coloccini with Daryl Janmaat as captain next season.

paul merson

Paul Merson – Newcastle in a bad place

So there you have the possibility, that in a results-oriented business like football coaching,  John Carver could get the job in the summer at Newcastle by not getting the results – such is is the enigma called Newcastle United under owner Mike Ashley.

It seems that Mike is more concerned about running the club the way he wants to and making money, than in bringing in a good head coach who could get results on the field, and give us a successful side.

And today pundit Paul Merson has a review of the game, and told some home truths about both sides for Sunday’s 4:00 pm kick-off game.

“These two sides might as well be on the beach. In all seriousness, I think Tottenham will prevail here. However, if they do win I don’t think it’s a great result.”

“Newcastle are in a bad place at the moment. They need to win a football match quickly.”

That last sentence by Paul Merson hits the nail on the head – we need a win quickly and things may even lighten up a bit on Tyneside, but with the planned boycott of this game and the possible demonstrations – it’s going to be a difficult game for the lads to win on Sunday.

We’d be surprised if we can get a win and most readers expect yet another defeat which would be our sixth in a row and seven in the last eight.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Tottenham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Only one solitary win since the club made those last minute deals to get Davide Santon to Inter-Milan and Haris Vuckic and others out of the club at the end of the January transfer window to make money and further weaken the squad.

That’s 11 weeks ago now.

🙁

If we do lose against Spurs we may even hear something from the top executive Lee Charnley about our staggering fall from grace since the end of the January transfer window.

Well – maybe not.

Note: Jamie Macdonald is a final year student at the University of Hull completing a degree in Business, and he’s been an avid Newcastle fan all his life, and to help him with his dissertation here is a questionnaire you can fill out and it takes just a couple of minutes.

The survey is about consumer attitudes towards Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) – and it only takes a minute or two to complete – thanks for your help.

• cyprus

Apr 17, 2015 at 8:37 AM

Ed,
    Congrats due. I thought I would see the word Pardew all over this article, yet you held yourself back . Hats off.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 17, 2015 at 8:38 AM

Ed…Don’t look at it that way, it’s depressing, we made a profit and probably shouldn’t get relegated this season. It’s wonderful stuff. Honest, it is.

• Reyantoon

Apr 17, 2015 at 8:45 AM

Speaking of midfielders:
    Sebastian Rode of Bayern really impressed me on wed night in the CL.Canny young player.If we can’t get the likes of Grenier,this lad is some player,suitable for us.He currently did not get playing time there much so may be it’s the right time to sway him.
    Also Kevin volland from hoffenhiem. Very good player,can play in the wing as well as in midfield.I expect a lot of players clear out in the summer so this two lads will take any club forward and will be stars of the future!!

For the spurs game,I hope we get a win.It’s a must not lose game for me.I liked the team selection agt Liverpool last time out,so I hope they all do play again.I don’t rate Anita much but he had a good game last Monday at LB.Interesting to see who will bomb forward in the absence of sissoko.He may not be in his best form but I am sure we gonna miss him.

• Pokat

Apr 17, 2015 at 8:47 AM

So let’s recap. Mike Ashley is a rag merchant who couldn’t give a stuff about his customers lol we’ve landed in it here like the futures rosy

• lesh

Apr 17, 2015 at 8:50 AM

Ibiza

You’ve missed the opportunity to laud Carver and his contribution to what’s been a wonderful season so far.

Ah, distractions, of course must’ve briefly taken your thoughts elsewhere. It must be a hard life when the sun’s shining!!

😉 😀

• Santon03

Apr 17, 2015 at 8:53 AM

Ibiza – repost

Sorry, not trying to be a pain too. I was asking the end game of this boycott, I wasn’t asking 1,2,3 steps.
    anyway it’s much clearer after Mister Tuff post that link and Lilo explanation @93.
    I’m more of the end goal guy, not really steps person. For me, the most effective way to get to the end goal is as said @100.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 17, 2015 at 8:55 AM

Lesh…Missed the opportunity? Carver blesss him wont stop doing that long enough to give me the chance 🙂

• Obertan's better than Messi

Apr 17, 2015 at 8:56 AM

Fall of grace since January??

or the complete fall of grace since Ashley took over?

Don’t blame Carver.
    Blame Charnley for appointing him.

The problem is ASHLEY.

#ASHLEYOUT
    #BOYCOTTSPURS

• optimistic prime

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:01 AM

Mister tuff

Thanks for the reply last night, none was given by the ITK and I fell asleep before I saw your response.

Not sure if I buy it myself, as a few have said they’d be shouting from the rooftops if they had him or players already in the bag.
    If they’ve tapped him up as you said Surley the “pre contract” he’s signed is evidence of that.

Can’t see it myself, probably his contact is on the wind up.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:02 AM

Santon…Aye, if someone had proof of illegal activity things would be much quicker. No argument there. Until then,we shall continue to explore other options.

The reason I’m interested in steps, for the time being, is that these things always get pulled apart for lack of end game. That really isn’t a reason to not unify in the meantime and say we’re not happy.

Still, I’m sure we’re boring the pants off everyone now 🙂

• Laurent Robert 32

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:02 AM

Santon, the least effective way of getting an end goal to occur is to do absolutely nothing. Therefore, any action is better than no action. The likelihood of change occurs when more people take part, and do so on an increasingly sustained level.

You can talk about having a nice garden, but without physically moving, the weeds will continue to grow.

• optimistic prime

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:07 AM

Let us not look back in anger or foward in fear but around in awareness.

The fans are the strength of NUFC not Ashley, why be angry at what has past, why worry about what might happen in the future, look around now and see what is happening and unite with the brothers and sisters of the toon army and storm the slugs ivory tower.

HWTF

• hibbit

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:12 AM

obertan 100% agree the focus is on caver………charnley and ashley see him as expendable cannon fodder as long as he keeps the heat of them …….all carver is doing is protecting his contract and in the end his pay off just doing what he is told and allowing him self to be used like so many at the club

• Sav

Apr 17, 2015 at 10:51 AM

I think you picked the wrong interesting sentence, Ed The one you chose about us being ‘in a bad place’ and needing a win is hardly breaking news.
    “It’s getting to the stage of the season where I don’t think too many teams want to finish fifth or sixth. The Europa League is a huge distraction for the teams that qualify.” is the first time I’ve heard a well-known pundit has come flat out and said what has only been whispered and hinted at – that 8th is better than 5th if it means clubs avoid the Europa. That has been Ashley’s and Newcastle’s view for 3 years now.
    How long before one of the clubs just outside the top 4 decides its better to lose a match than risk the consequences the following year?
    As for Carver getting the top Toon job, whatever else Mashley is, he’s not stupid.

• EllaGuru

Apr 17, 2015 at 1:52 PM

How about organizing a big screen for all the boycotters to watch the game together? Strength in numbers, create a togetherness, group mentality and all that