Out Of Touch Carver Gives Strange, Controverisal Interview

It seems that before every game these days, John Carver gives an interview which is very controversial, and sure enough he’s given another one on Friday, and says he doesn’t know why fans are so upset these days – and he doesn’t know what changes need to be made at the club to make fans happier.

John Carver  in white_3151934b

John Carver – out of touch

If that’s the truth then John at best is completely out of touch with the fans who have had to endure 14 games this year when we’ve been hopeless in most of them – slid down the league four places,  and garnered only 9 points from a possible 39 (13 games) in the Premier League.

Oh yes, and we fielded maybe the weakest side in recent memory in January  and managed to lose 1-0 in the FA Cup third round tie at Leicester.

Since Alan Pardew left it’s become obvious the real cause of the problems at the club is the way that Mike Ashley runs things  with his frugal policies and money-making ways, which come at the expense of the playing squad – which has been threadbare this year.

And John doesn’t  know why the fans are boycotting on Sunday?

If that’s true then he’s completely out of touch.

Carver was asked a leading question to start the interview – are the fans who are boycotting the game on Sunday still fans?

This is how he answered that:

“That’s a good question.” “I think they do support the team but they have obviously got their own issues.”  “I respect those issues but I was asked “would I go?” and I would say yes, I would go because I support the team.”

“I don’t really know what needs to change at the club if I am being perfectly honest. I had a really good conversation with a friend of mine yesterday and he is a proper fan, travels home and away and this goes back to the seventies and eighties, same age as me.”

“He followed the team everywhere and I sometimes went with him when I was 15 or 16. I was asking him similar sorts of question and he couldn’t give me answers.”

“It was a strange conversation because I was trying to find out what the people are thinking, why do they want to do what they want to do.”

“It is amazing and I can only use this year as an example. When I went to the cup match against Leicester, I had four or five players with tight hamstrings or quads, and I could not put my best team on the pitch.”

“When I was given this job, nobody has ever told me what team to pick or what to do. I went into that cup game trying to put my best team on the pitch.”

“That is true but because of the circumstances, when someone comes to you and says he is not right, I could not put the best team on the pitch. We lost the game. No one wants to win the FA Cup and have a dream of the FA Cup more than me.”

“Being realistic, are we going to win the Premier League? I would not have thought so unless you have an unbelievably freaky season.”

“It is hard enough trying to make the top four. So what can you win? Either the FA Cup or League Cup. I am telling you now, I wanted to win the FA Cup and circumstances meant that was not the case.”

John has a short memory on boycotts, because there was one last May 3rd in the game against Cardiff in the 69th minute – when some fans walked out on the game – but we managed to win 3-0.

But we had lost the last six league games on the trot before the win against Cardiff City – who were relegated last season.

That’s another strange statement from John Carver, and the four or five players with tight hamstrings at Leicester City were magically all fit for the following week, when we played at Chelsea in the Premier League, the games that are prioritized by Mike Ashley.

And it’s difficult to understand why John doesn’t know why fans are upset – maybe it’s because we have won one game since the January transfer window ended, or maybe it’s we have just two wins in the 14 games John has managed this year, or perhaps it’s the fact we’ve lost the last five games.

There’s a reason in there somewhere.

That’s a really unfortunate interview by John Carver.

Finally, we are still hoping for a win on Sunday afternoon against Spurs.

Note: Jamie Macdonald is a final year student at the University of Hull completing a degree in Business, and he’s been an avid Newcastle fan all his life, and to help him with his dissertation here is a questionnaire you can fill out and it takes just a couple of minutes.

The survey is about consumer attitudes towards Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) – and it only takes a minute or two to complete – thanks for your help.

• JackButler

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:31 AM

Someone needs to find the mute switch on this fool – and quickly

• sickandtired

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:39 AM

Complete proof that he is as out of touch with the Clubs supporters as is Ashley and Charnley.
    Utter disgrace those comments

• one fine day

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:43 AM

Wtf?
    Ok ed ,
    Here’s your next poll…
    What substance is john carver on ?
    Glue
    Petrol
    Crack
    Enter your votes here…

• jimmysmith

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:45 AM

I support the boycott, simply because things are at such a low ebb, in almost an identical way to last season, and all that not withstanding, the fans should always be outspoken when needed, to drive the side on to better performances and voice their concerns about how their club is being run. In short, to keep bastards like Ashley et al honest. But the club have said all along they’ll appoint with care and invest this off season. Posters like Blackley and Brownley, and Jeff make solid
    points regarding us being far from the brink at least financially and far from the top four no matter this or any other owners best intentions.

And of course concerted and orchestrated protests could well prove counter productive, in that they might cause Ashley to dig his heels in and refuse to allow himself to appear to be be coerced by fan power. He certainly is tough enough and obdurate enough and rich enough to do exactly that, and of course it might have have a deletorious effect on a side that can still play itself into the Championship this season.

I back a boycott of the Spurs game, and hope its embraced by many who would have ordinarily gone, but as a one off protest only, at this stage.

• one fine day

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:47 AM

I think johns ” friend ” is either imaginary or one of those ” friends” who encourage friends to go on talent shows knowing they are shit but hey it will be a giggle seeing them make a tw@t of themselves on national TV

• JackButler

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:51 AM

Protests have been talked about for years and all attempts have given a very poor return in terms of support.

We’ve brought this on ourselves as we’ve allowed Ashley to do whatever he wants with no recourse and I’d be amazed if anything changed now as the ambivalence is now rooted to the bone for the majority

• Average_Contents

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:52 AM

A friend who’s followed the club for decades didn’t know the answer to johnny boys questions. Sorry john but that’s bullshit. We all know. Your fcuking boss.

• lesh

Apr 18, 2015 at 1:01 AM

Those words might have cone via Carver’s trap but they’re not his.

They’ve all the makings of Bishop who’s put the words there for the clown’s recitation.

Every time Carver opens his mouth he’s making himself look an even bigger fool.

Given the time he seems to give to the media, one must wonder when he does the coaching he’s supposed to be paid for.

What a buffoon, a complete idiot.

Christ, if Carver had brains he’d be dangerous!

• optimistic prime

Apr 18, 2015 at 1:14 AM

If we’re going to have a new poll it should be, who talks the most shit.
    Jeff welsh or JC

• optimistic prime

Apr 18, 2015 at 1:19 AM

The mans a idiot
    The only thing between his ears is fresh air, he comes across like he’s as thick as Ashley’s wallet.

• optimistic prime

Apr 18, 2015 at 1:24 AM

A translation of jc’s interview.
    The first thing that’s made me really laugh about this situation.

• N1CK06

Apr 18, 2015 at 1:37 AM

This paragraph by John is hilarious:
    “I never thought I’d see a boycott to be perfectly honest, especially in the North East of England because we love football. So obviously something has triggered in their heads to make them not want to come and I respect that.””

So here he is suggesting fans who boycott do not love football, he doesn’t understand why they are boycotting, but still he respects them.

How can a coach say he respects the boycotting fans while at the same time being completely ignorant to the reasons behind the boycott?!

If anything John, proving you nothing about the opinions of the fed-up fans shows a lack of respect.

• N1CK06

Apr 18, 2015 at 1:38 AM

proving you know nothing*

• stuart no9

Apr 18, 2015 at 1:56 AM

John carver knows exactly what the problem is and how to solve . He only just mentioned a massive spending spree in summer so he knows exactly what the problem is , what he dosnt know is how to spend it . Those words have again been prompted by fatty . Imo , they are terrified these protests get out of hand and develop to a grand scale .. Carver must feel the wrath of the fans . That must hsppen Sunday

• Mister Tuff

Apr 18, 2015 at 1:57 AM

Carvers contention that he does not know what is upsetting the fans even after speaking to his mate who did not know either is simply just not believable. Where’s he been for the last 8 years – in a coma.
    The waffle is too far fetched to be believed this time.
    Bit audacious expecting folk to believe that tosh.

• optimistic prime

Apr 18, 2015 at 3:00 AM

Carvers interview translated

“I think they do support the team but they have obviously got their own issues. I respect those issues, but I was asked if I would go and I said ‘yes, I would go because I support the team’.”

Translation: Dude, I wouldn’t come to watch this team either. Have you seen us play? There are children playing games in the park down the road for absolutely free. That’s a better investment than whatever it is we’re doing at the moment.

“I never thought I’d see it to be perfectly honest, especially in the North East because we love football. So obviously something has triggered in their heads to make them not want to come and I respect that.”

Translation: I say “we” because my agent says fans are less likely to call for the head of a coach who liberally tosses around first-person pronouns when talking about supporters. I need all the help I can get. I just hope these horse-punchers aren’t offended by me playing stupid about not knowing what triggered this protest. They know where I live.

“They pay for their season tickets and entitled to go if they want. If they don’t, that’s their prerogative. They pay their hard earned money and and can do what they want to do.”

Translation: To be honest, I’m bored. I’ve been slipping Bobby Brown references into these press conferences for weeks and no one’s called me on it. “We’ll get better with every little step” was a classic, bro. Can’t believe no one caught that shit!

“I genuinely believe that if I’ve got the right tools I can do the job. I think I’m getting the best out of the players I’m putting out on the pitch at the moment.”

Translation: These players are trash, man. You know it. I know it. So when you start a riot outside St. James Park, PLEASE keep the brick throwing to the players’ parking deck. I only have six payments left on this Toyota, I’m about to be unemployed, and I really don’t need the hassle right now.

“It is encouraging that we have four games at home and two away, but we have to start winning now. We can’t keep looking over our shoulders and relying on other teams [to help us avoid relegation]”

Translation: Seriously, you guys. It’s the black Toyota Avalon in Lot D. It even has a Newcastle air freshener in it. My wife told me not to buy it until I got a permanent job, but I did it anyway. If you smash my windows out, it’s only going to prove her right. Allow me some dignity.

Well not said John

• one fine day

Apr 18, 2015 at 3:02 AM

I think this protest will if nothing else(thinking it will force fatty to move on is ambitious to say the least) show ash and his cohorts that he has clearly gone too far this time and that if he thought he has had hassel before he has never felt the full fury of what the masses of nufc are capable of .
    This isn’t just since January either this has been 8 years in the making and it will hopefully send a message around the globe.
    So hope fatty n bishop have the balls to turn up ,doubt it though.
    I’m really looking forward to this game on Sunday and it has nothing to do with what’s happening on the pitch.
    Good on Jonas too.
    hwtf

• optimistic prime

Apr 18, 2015 at 3:06 AM

One fine day

I feel exactly the same mate, it’s a long time since I felt as excited to go to SJP and it’s to protest 🙁

Personally I think it’s already having a affect and it still a day away, the press coverage is gathering momentum and it’s global.

It’s time we said enough is enough, he’s took the piss far to long.

• theartfuldodger

Apr 18, 2015 at 4:48 AM

I suppose fans asking for a reason why to join the boycott have found one now.
    Forget about larger purposes and direction and next steps, just need to tell them that fans are not happy and WHY so. They seem clueless.
    Is JC secretly encouraging the boycott by passing such comments ??

• lochinvar

Apr 18, 2015 at 5:48 AM

Rearrange in order of preference as Head Coach:

David Ike
    John Carver
    Sweep ( with Ashley’s hand up his backside )
    Sooty ( with Ashley’s hand up his backside )
    Tony Blair ( World President elect )
    A piece of Fruit Cake
    The Mad Hatter
    Mrs. Slocums pussycat
    Benny from Crossroads

Did I miss anyone?
    But you get the idea

• lochinvar

Apr 18, 2015 at 5:58 AM

Maybe we should have a campaign slogan
    ” Free the Newcastle 50,000 ”

With the election coming up Politicians should be asked for their support
    Press coverage should force a Judicial Review
    Usual outcome is that ” after years of injustice the victims are set free ” while the real culprits remain at large…

• gaz 44

Apr 18, 2015 at 7:47 AM

The thing with Ashley is in a way I don’t mind how he runs the club if he gets it right
    Having a head coach great.. But he needs some tactical knowledge. Just because he’s good on the training ground like I imagine carvs probably is, doesn’t mean he knows how to set up a team come Saturday at 3pm

Having the system where the head coach doesn’t buy the players .. Don’t mind it one little bit but come on we’ve been screaming out for centre backs and strikers the last 3 year, instead we get dead wood midfielder constantly, Anita, cabella, amfiliato,.

Don’t mind running the club on a strict budget but come on we have to be able to compete, turning over 30 million profit is not enjoyable for the fans, or anyone involved with the club other than cashley. Invest that into the club year in year out and have something to be proud of

Taking a bit of free advertising, yeah its your club your entitled to do so, but I estimate that your taking 70million of advertising free each year yet holding the club ransom over the 130million debt there.. With the debt in place no one will consider buying all the while your lining your pockets..perhaps taking the equivelant of 5-10mill advertising whilst knocking down the debt to stop SJP looking like one of your shops (cheap and tacky) allow more business to sponsor/advertise and invest that money into the club

So in reality I don’t agree with how Ashley runs the club and that’s why I’ve given up my season ticket to my office draw and won’t be renewing until changes are made.
    I honestly feel sorry for carver and the stick he’s getting. If I’m honest and I was offered the job I’d take it but doesn’t mean I’m up to the job (although my ego says I would be)

SUPPORT THE CLUB, SUPPORT THE BOYCOTT #BOYCOTTSPURS

• one fine day

Apr 18, 2015 at 7:52 AM

lochinvar ,
    I think the fruit cake will have better tactics and more importantly can be guaranteed not to be a complete bell end in front in front of the TV cameras and its not like results on the pitch wouldn’t differ to much.
    maybe we could even go for one of those nice continental style cakes too .. in the name of progress n that?

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:04 AM

Gaz44,
    That works well, making a show of giving up your season ticket but letting someone sit in your seat.

• one fine day

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:07 AM

N1CK06 @12
    Yes carver does crack us all up .
    clearly bishop pulling the strings here.
    He claims we in the north east love football and he is correct .
    But what we have witnessed of late I’m not even sure qualifies to be even loosely called association football .

So yes J BOMB we love our football just not the kind being served up to us at the moment .

I recall talking on here just after Christmas with a few of us making the point that the now the season was pretty much over (how wrong we were) rather than using the old guard ,it was now at least a good opportunity to try things such as trying a few of the kids at centre half and up front with the pressure off .yet here we are with most seniors pros having sat out games due to injury or just stupidity and put the whole club in jeopardy yet we who want to protest are made to feel guilty ???
    #Ashley.com
    #hwtf .
    #boycott spurs .

• gaz 44

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:08 AM

Why who’s sitting in my seat, its in my office cupboard drawer as far as I’m aware and staying there

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:13 AM

Gaz44,
    My sincere apology, I thought you meant a draw as in names out of a hat. I’ll go and drink a stronger brand of coffee.

• Ron Knee

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:15 AM

Jail
    That’s what I thought gaz meant too!

• Ibizatoon

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:26 AM

Ha ha, I’ll get me another coffee too. Definitely read it that way too Gaz.

Good on you btw.

OP….”To be honest, I’m bored. I’ve been slipping Bobby Brown references into these press conferences for weeks and no one’s called me on it. “We’ll get better with every little step” was a classic, bro. Can’t believe no one caught that shit!” 🙂

• Ibizatoon

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:30 AM

On Thread and Carver, this is of very little surprise.

Carver, for whatever reason, has his position. The club are in overdrive to sway public opinion.

It’s simple, we’ve had enough of the BS. We want out spirit and our club back.

You may not want us to be United, but we are!

JB…Where the heck have you been hiding?

• BandB

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:31 AM

Gaz44,

You don’t have to disagree with absolutely everything Ashley has done to decide to make a stand. So respect for your decision.
    No owner has been or ever will be perfect.
    But this one has changed the nature of our club into something it is hard to be proud of and easy to be a little ashamed of. What is there left now we can get behind? What is there now can trust. Only ourselves.

HWTF

• BandB

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:34 AM

Dodger,

That’s it in a nutshell.

• scout

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:38 AM

His mate has no tv, no radio, cant read and lives In a strutter bubble. Must do if he cant tell Carver the crack.
    CARVER dont dare tell me that team tried at Brighton in the FA Cup I was there. Shola ran about 50 yards. The rest were pathetic.

• optimistic prime

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:39 AM

His mate is BS Bishop

• optimistic prime

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:42 AM

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:43 AM

Belfast…a point you could have raised last night ad well is without the new TV deal with the increased revenue we would barely be breaking even!

…and that’s with the Cabaye sale!

Ibiza…did you rekindle with your hometown last night?

• Lindisfarne

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:47 AM

I am just as mifed as any else about the endless speculation around potential new signings. Just as in the case of the new HC they constantly fall short of actually getting a deal done within a reasonable time frame. This maybe because agents are trying to exploit the situation but often appears to be ineptitude and an unwillingness to approach a player with a higher price.

The culture of the club has been to exploit cheap opportunities with the potential to convert into a quick profit. The only purchases around the £10M band have been Cisse and Cabella, which does not entirely convice that there is the expertise at the club to identify, attract and develop really tallented players. The main reason being the lack of ambition and the result being that players who are injury prone, with something to prove are the more likely recruits.

• Pokat

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:50 AM

Yo! J-Bomb on the M.I.C. Laying down some serious rhymes hahaha is there anything our man can’t turn his gob to? I liked that joke yesterday about JC proving his I.D. By being clueless keep up the good work with the good word my man lol

• N1CK06

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:50 AM

one fine day,

Exactly, if anything a love for football is the reason for the boycott. Football is a competitive sport and at present competitive is one think Newcastle United are not.

I find it hard to believe Carver is this stupid/arrogant/ignorant. I reckon Ashley has him right under control and is ordering him to play dumb regarding any questions about the protests.

I’d bet if Carver steps out of line and speaks any truth about the situation we’re in then he can kiss next season’s coaching position goodbye..

• optimistic prime

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:50 AM

Lens ton made a good point last night and it’s the first time I’ve really thought about it.

The only time Ashley and his cronies have made any real effort to converse with fans is when he first came, he was happy for to tell everyone as often as possible how bad the previous regime had the left the club in financially.

Since that very little is said, coincidence or propoganda?

Until recently we heard from the club before matches only, now cavers giving interviews faster than we can say Ashley out.

The only time the club speaks is to fill is with spin, as fat as I’m concerned the whole lot should STFU.

Hwtf