Carver’s Sky Interview – Players Were Nervous – I Was Positive

John Carver said the players were nervous today, and he’s right that we gave away two poor goals today, the first two – but John say that it’s his job to find a solution and a way to win and he may have to put two strikers on the pitch.

john carver mauricio pochettino

John Carver and Mauricio Pochettino today

Here’s John Carver’s Sky Sports interview after the game when he said he went very positive in the second half, when he  could have just saw the game out in the second half.

Not sure exactly what he means by that,  because we were 1-0 down at the half.

John is finding it very difficult to get to terms with the difficult job of being head coach at a club like Newcastle.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 19, 2015 at 7:41 PM

Ibiza…did I just open Pandora’s box? 😀

• Average_Contents

Apr 19, 2015 at 7:44 PM

From Tads I think lol. Shows the empty seats far better than the TV cameras imo

• BandB

Apr 19, 2015 at 7:45 PM

The mood outside the ground today was of two mutually uncomprehending groups of people divided by a thin strip of tarmac.

One loud (a bit sweary for my taste) and in good humour. The other not.

The protesters outside the ground were not there in the their thousands.

It was a boycott before it was a protest.
    But they filled the space they had been allocated, as the pictures show.

You can add to them the many thousands who stayed at home on a warm sunny day, or watched in a pub with a free beer.

I did not stand with the protesters. I moved among those going in and listened. The mood was not ” ha ha, look at them.”

Just “look at them.”

The protesters made more noise in half an hour than those inside did in 90 minutes.

It is fair to say Blackley speaks for his share of those narked “who do they think they are” voices I heard today.

“Daft sods. If you don’t like Sainsbury’s, you can’t shop at Tesco.” was typical.

But they cannot been so sure after today that they represent the right-thinking majority in the face of a few dozen loudmouths.

They went in silently, under the noses of a disapproving city. There was hardly a Wonga shirt to be seen.

It was, as their owner is fond of saying “business as usual.”

I doubt many minds were changed at the ground today. But minds has already been.

Revolutions do not end on social media. They start there and spread there. It will not be protests outside the ground that do for Ashley.

It will be more results like today and our points average of ZERO from the last six games.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 19, 2015 at 7:48 PM

Jesper…I think we just about saved it 🙂

AC…I’d be careful trusting tads. Being “down south” does something to people. I mean, look at me ffs!

We can’t be lied to. We have eyes.

• 9

Apr 19, 2015 at 7:52 PM

Hats off to the lads who made protest against our owner worthy of media coverage.

He has to respond, however thick his skin is, because, truly, he doesn’t want to own a club losing 6/6 and sinking like a stone. Whatever his motive, and however different it is from us true supporters’, he needs to confront the situation on the field during the summer. Do no doubt that – much as you may hate him, he will respnd positively to current state of affairs.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 19, 2015 at 7:52 PM

BandB….From one fan to another, well done and thank you.

I hope you had an entertaining day 🙂

• the white tino

Apr 19, 2015 at 7:53 PM

Stick with it all that stayed away, to all that still go and line slugs pockets ask yourselves why,? It’s not the future for our football club this man is a disease we need rid now!!!

• toonarmydownsouth

Apr 19, 2015 at 7:54 PM

AC
    I posted it but it wasn’t from me if that makes sense! Just a fan pic off Twitter, a lot from the game saying they reckon only about 35k inside

• Ibizatoon

Apr 19, 2015 at 7:58 PM

9…Tensions are high, so disclaimer, this is reasoned 🙂

He has to respond, of course. Players out of contract, some that just need to go, he’ll have to buy players this summer.

HC / Manager situation I’m not even going to begin to speculate on. All the evidence / history points to more of the same. Just because he has to respond, doesn’t mean it will be positive. After all, £30 odd million can’t buy you CL football, so why spend it?

I do agree though, fans applying peaceful pressure can only be good. In the meantime, try and keep him a little honest.

Okay, that last line I struggled to keep a straight face.

Also, I think for many, despite what they say, they don’t hate Ashley. We don’t really know him, we hate what he’s done. How he’s made a large number of people feel about something they hold so dearly.

This has gone so far beyond reasonable or positive investment for many, me included. For a supposed genius, the guy does act like a complete moron at times.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Apr 19, 2015 at 7:58 PM

That was another fine mess we get an equalizer against Spurs and have a chance to properly rattle them instead we sit back and they score a shoddy goal and then we barely lay a glove on them after that

What is the point in bringing Armstrong on to play with Perez and then launching it long where none of them are going to get it ??

Granted we do have injuries but Carver makes totally baffling tactical choices

Also Gouffran as a winger really ?? Play him as a striker or not at all how many times will he make the same mistakes again

• toonarmydownsouth

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:01 PM

Gatlier says it’s his dream to manage liverpool

Also Ian Wright on the radio, top class

• thai-mag

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:01 PM

2 strikers on the pitch we don’t have 1 you idiot

• Average_Contents

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:02 PM

Tads

Thought as much mate. Just thought I’d post it to show the gaps.

Ibiza

Your not darn sarf. Your abroad (technically darn sarth but you know what I mean.

I’m off for the night ladies and gentlemen. Big well done to all who at least tried.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:03 PM

Ibiza…nice work the last couple of days (and what went up to it)

…from what BandB is reporting (not from a beach on bikini bottom 😉 ) we seem to have a long way to go!

It’s a shame the ST and the beer a SJP are such a big attraction (kudos to those who resisted)

• usmagpie

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:04 PM

The fans said it all with the empty seats, John Carver said it all or did he? The players we nervous ?
    No offence John all players are nervous before and during the game its called playing the game. Newcastle’s only hope is that all the teams below lose as we are not winning anything this year, no more games will be won, John has no idea how to motivate the players and he has no idea about tactics, if we are going to lose playing one up front anyway why not try two up front and maybe we can out score the opposition.
    Another sad day for the Fans having to deal with this shit week in and week out.

• Clematis

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:05 PM

What a cack performance. For the first time ever, I placed a bet against my own club; and won a substantial amount.

I will be quids in after the next 5 games. And this makes me so sad.

Granted, most teams would miss Socks, Cisse, Aarons and SDJ. However, just a hint of effort would have made the Geordie faithful happy(ish); and we got none of that bar 25 seconds.

Jaanmat played well, and Perez and Collback ran their socks off. But after that? And what an inspired decision all three subs were. The last one (Arma) was pointless. I didn’t see him get a touch.

And then good old Geordie John coming out with his ‘Whey, am geet posativ an’ that, me, like, marra’. I could have cried.

Oh, and such a nice touch from the mackems to fly a plane over our ground during our 17th minute applause. Classless as ever.

• 9

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:05 PM

Ibiza @9
    Heartfelt comments there we can all sympathise with. But don’t let your disappointment cloud your judgement: you say “£30 odd m can’t buy CL football, so why bother”. Bad call, that. Before CL, which you, me, and Mr Ashley would dearly love to be in, you’ve got to get above our present lowly position, which is the point of spending what he is bound to spend this summer. There is, obviously, a point to spending what he can afford to improve NUFC on the field.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:06 PM

maybe 35,000 at the start by half time I would ay less than 30,000, poeple also moved seats into the sun – F**n freezin in Gallowgate End. Crowd apathetic in ground team on pitch apathetic at best – spuds didn’t need to get out of first gear. Don’t know if abeid ws=as injured bur if not why did Carve take him off was playing well in a piss poor display. Krul oh dear me at fault for first two goals along with Goufran for first goal. A sad day for the TOON all round on and off the field as Ashley has divided the fans and the club. I fear we could have another Oyston the Blackpool owner on our hands.

best laugh of the day was when one of the modern day tumbleweed (plastic bag) blew across the pitch and got caught on Colback’ds foot as he tried to close down a Spuds attack.

SAD SAD time being a TOON supporter

• Jeff from Benwell

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:08 PM

I was REALLY (after reading Mr Caulkin) secretly hoping the gobshites would have done something earthshaking and surprised me but oh dear
    BandB plagiarised George Caulkin dreadfully Mr Wraith’s plea for the quashing of egos fell on deaf ears
    What a f*****g waste of time

• Malta Mag

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:09 PM

Only 7 points from relegation and people choose to stay away however for me it’s simply the wrong time? Protest when we’re safe however for those who went, where was the noise, where was the demonstration inside the ground or am I presuming those that went to the match back the regime? Like many, I’m confused and angry. He may have missed his opportunity and may not be up to the job but it hurts to see Carver taking the flak, rightly or wrongly? Come on Mr Ashley, show us you’ve got blood in your veins and right your wrongs. Spend that money, bring in someone who is quality and get the city bouncing again. It won’t take much for the fans to forgive but you need to act quick because as you saw today, time is running out.

• toonarmydownsouth

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:09 PM

Jesper
    Many are saying between 30-40k were inside the stadium
    If that’s true that’s pottentially 1-2 fifths of the total attendence that boycotted that’s is a phenomenal start

Now given 5 k of those were away fans plus corporate tickets, tourists giveaways etc that is a massive start not sure there is a massive amount to do

• mecannylad

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:10 PM

wholeheartedly with the sentiment ‘Tonight we rest, tomorrow we talk, plan, regroup and go again ..and again ..and again.
    Make no mistake about it,today’s publicityI believe will have been a massive blow to Ashley’s ego. He will be seething.The world of football is watching us ….. more and more influential voices of football are supporting our stance.
    HWTF

• geordiestuckinleeds

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:10 PM

that interview was comedy gold, ive never heard anyone who has less of a touch with reality, we need some luck to stay up and is carvers run continues 1/8 times we would not get another point

• Jeff from Benwell

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:11 PM

Hardly Tianamen Square
    Still banners about Pardew ffs

• davis_toons

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:13 PM

Gouffran was a Fearsome Lone Striker once upon a time.

Then he sign for Newcastle and was converted to some kind of headless chicken midfielder and a winger that can’t bring the ball past anyone but holding on to it while waiting for support.

If we doesn’t need a Striker why did we bought him and later drift him out of his natural role?

• Mister Tuff

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:14 PM

Well I’ve just got back from helping out distributing leaflets. Got to the meet up point -Loco Bar on Leazes Patk Road about 1.10pm – sat around a bit until the leaflets arrived. Then started distributing Ashley Out posters beside the crossing at the junction of Leazes Park Road and Strawberry Place – they were flying out of my hand like hot cakes. Had to go back to the Loco a couple of times more to get more leaflets.
    The rush can about 3.30pm so I went along to the area opposite the Gallowgate.
    It was my impression that the protesters were in a fine voice asking Mr Tubbs to get out of the club. I do believe the term fat cockney bastard was the phrase used.
    The volume was excellent.
    Talking to a few of the guys present they were pleased with the turnout. I was impressed as well bearing in mind it was day 1. I would say a very respectable effort and turnout – excellent foundations to further the campaign and it will no doubt give confidence to the campaign ahead.
    It was a good day.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:14 PM

9…I honestly don’t feel I have. I’m a bit of a lost cause I have to say. Been pushed just that bit too far. If Ashley has a proper plan, then I will be most pleased. We’re supposedly at the end of his original plan, albeit a re-launch after relegation, I’ve got to the point where I wonder if maybe he just can’t quite figure out this football stuff. Clearly he has his place. For me, it’s no longer here.

As I said, it’s not about investment anymore. He’s broken hearts and I don’t think that’s being dramatic, well, not too dramatic anyway.

AC…But that’s where I grew up! Still, I fled, so I guess that get’s me off the hook. Have a good one and well done with your pictures and liverpool based protest!

Jesper…I think most knew we had a long way to go before today. Everyone is still finding their feet, testing the water. We’ll get there. United.

Now, I think it’s time for a beer.

One last well done to everyone today!

• davis_toons

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:15 PM

Gouffran WAS NOT Nicolas Anelka

• padthemag

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:16 PM

To all the fans saying what good would a boycott do hope u enjoyed that today!!! We have supported the team for 8 years under this guy and where are we in the middle of another relegation battle. It’s no wonder the team surrenders every game the fans have been doing it for 2 seasons déjàvu or what it’s not good enough and we can’t even fight back together newcastle ununited!!!!!!!

• Schwefelberg

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:16 PM

@9 Ashley will do the minimum to keep his Fun alive.

He said he bought the Club ‘To have some fun.’

Now you know how.

• Jeff from Benwell

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:16 PM

mecannylad
    There was nothing massive at all any where in the toon
    If Ashley farts about this Summer then you will see the REAL fans get annoyed not the pitiful wretches you saw today

• beermonkey

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:17 PM

jeff

did it rain in Newcastle today ???
    its an old archived pic and nothing to do with today

• Ibizatoon

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:17 PM

Go away and bore yourself.

That wasn’t from today.

• Laurent Robert 32

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:18 PM

I got there at half time, had a walk into Leazes Park, then went to join the full-time protest. It was very sad to see the Wonga shirts coming out of the ground then straight off home. I could barely hear any sound on the outside, and if I did, it sounded like Spurs fans.

I felt proud of being one of the fans who backed up their grievances with group action on the planned boycott day. Proud that we are loudly saying no, we aren’t going to have the piss taken out of us, and are prepared to do something about it. What the thousands of generally silent fans in the ground were doing, I don’t know…

• Ibizatoon

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:22 PM

Tuff…Good man.

MeCannyLad…He’s going to run out of wriggle room soon enough. Todays been fun, for a change. HWTF.

• GeordieTwo

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:24 PM

You’re an old timer like me 9 and clearly an optimist. Are you still saying the glass is half full at the club? Because to me it looks like it’s nearly empty and there is a crack in the bottom. I can’t see for the life of me what you’re optimistic about unless you have secret knowledge that Mike Ashley is selling up?

• toonbrother

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:26 PM

the job is too big for him

• GeordieTwo

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:28 PM

How many million has Ashley lost by us dropping from 10th to 14th place in the table? Quite a few. Was it worth it Ashley to not spend or hire a new manager in January? Do you feel as if your ideas about how to run a club have been proven out?

• Jeff from Benwell

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:29 PM

Ibiza
    That was posted on The Telegraph site , I took it as correct , apologies if it’s factually wrong