The Mystery Of Jonas Gutierrez – Why Was He Axed?

Jonas Gutierrez was left out of the Newcastle squad today for the game against Tottenham which we lost 3-1 and John Carver after the game refused to explain why the Argentine was not in the match-day squad.

Jonas Gutierrez  Sunderland 1-0 defeat

Jonas – was our Man of the Match against Sunderland

Jonas had tweeted he was fit enough so it wasn’t injury that kept him out and John Carver even paid him a compliment in his program notes for today’s game.

“Jonas Gutierrez made his 200th appearance for the club on Monday night.” “That is a fantastic achievement for any player, but even more so after everything Jonas has been through over the past two years, so congratulations to him.”

After the game Carver was asked why Jonas wasn’t in the match-day squad and this is what he said:

“I have got my reasons for that, and I don’t want to talk about Jonas any more now.”

We don’t know what it is with Jonas – whether he has been disciplined – or whether it’s that Newcastle will have to give him a new contract if he plays one more game than the 200 games he has already played.

But the bottom line is that Jonas is a good player so why he isn’t playing for the side is baffling to us.

It may be yet another error Newcastle have made this year in what is mounting up as some colossal errors made by the club in January.

And we are still not safe from relegation, and still need at least one win, but we’ve just had just one of them in the 10 league games since the end of the January transfer window.

We’ve had two draws so that’s just 5 points from the last 30 we’ve played for.

🙁

It’s turning out to be a poor decision to put John Carver in charge through the end of the season – even though that was the simple and cheap solution.

And it’s based simply on our results. which after all is what it’s all about.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Tottenham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• BandB

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:43 PM

The ground was more than half empty at the end.

• MrMojoRisin76

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:47 PM

I have posted my pics on my Twitter account.Search my my screen name on Twitter to have a look.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:48 PM

I any way what happened to Jonas – most likely ashley told Carver not to play him as he would have to pay out on appearances/contract

• Belfast

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:51 PM

He was obviously sanctioned for his comments on twitter

• spitfire_

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:51 PM

The fans need to know, but they won’t. The fans need to know what was the actual attendance, but they won’t. The club doesn’t give a f00k about the fans, what they wand and what they need… but still today there was around 35k at the stands.

• Sir Braveheart

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:51 PM

Ashley regime the topic of discussion on MOTD. Todays action already bringing about pressure and scrutiny on Ashley. Bonus as far as I’m concerned. 🙂

• BandB

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:01 PM

Would anyone care to argue that was a 47,000+ crowd?

If it was 25k when the whistle went, it would a generous estimate.

They can pump out any figures they like. We have eyes.

• Toon-Prodigy

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:02 PM

Very interesting about Jonas, is it a contract situation? The remaining games should tell us.

• Graeme

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:03 PM

Just watched MOTD and there are huge areas of empty seats, all over the ground, from start to finish

HWTF

• Ibizatoon

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:04 PM

BandB…Good numbers are being mentioned.

Sir…It was a good watch. Almost didn’t register we’d lost.

Mojo…Well done. Will check them out. Good for you and thanks for going the extra mile today.

• Small World

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:04 PM

FWIW from NUFC.COM

“The boycott certainly left some empty seats around the stadium and gave the game a backdrop of discontent but the organisers would have been hoping for more of a no-show in front of the live TV audience.
    The official attendance was given as 47,427 although there were more like 10,000 unoccupied seats but estimating the actual number who stayed away for a nothing TV Sunday fixture is difficult. ”

So that means they’re calling a crowd of 42,000 and I don’t think they have a particular axe to grind.

• firebug666

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:04 PM

These tweets will be the reason Jonas was dropped.

jonas gutierrez @elgalgojonas · Apr 17
    Tired about some things i Am a geordie and newcastle deserved more. Cansado de algunas cosas, soy un geordie. Y newcastle se merece mas.

jonas gutierrez @elgalgojonas · Apr 16
    To be honest newcastle deserved more. Para ser honesto newcastle se merece mas.

• Graeme

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:04 PM

For a first effort, today has been an amazing success for the Boycott, Long May It Continue.

HWTF

• Small World

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:05 PM

Certainly a lot less by time of the final whistle :0)

• Ibizatoon

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:10 PM

That Van Gaal clip was pretty funny.

“You don’t think so?”
    *Reporter chuckles*

• jimmysmith

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:11 PM

You’d imagine, it couldn’t be good for Sports Direct to be associated with, or held to account for such a sorry football club. Of course, your average SD customer couldn’t care less, so long as the merchandise is cheap, I suppose.Therein lies just one of many rubs, of a pretty tawdry tale of ownership. You wonder if it just might end up coming down to Ashley, eventually understanding that taking on Newcastle, and not giving back, even if he was unaware of what he was getting into, lacks decency.and eventually being a bigger man than he’s naturally inclined to be.

• mattyNUFC

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:12 PM

Quite astounding that Ed’s coverage of the boycott was down to one measly paragraph in his pre-match ‘report’.

• Belfast

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:12 PM

I’d be very surprised if we see Jonas again. You don’t tow the party line and you’ll be banished by the not so great leader.

• lochinvar

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:13 PM

Carver must have lost the dressing room that’s if he ever had it especially now the players see how Jonas is treated.
    If it was a disciplinary matter Carver should have said as that’s normal practice, but he didn’t.
    If it’s then something else Carver is sending out that message by keeping stum , also giving credence to the fact that he’s told what to do and what to say if he wants to be paid .
    Everything Ashley, Penfold and Carver do stinks. I would rather have Freeman, Hardy and Willis at least they had more soul !

• MrMojoRisin76

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:16 PM

Ibiza
    I’ve e-mailed you my pics.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:17 PM

charlie – the Mackens flew a light aircraft over the ground – it circled a couple of times. It was towing behind a large banner with the logo “5 in a row Sunderland”.
    Clever but cheeky.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:20 PM

ibiza -well done for your efforts today.

• banjax

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:22 PM

Mike Ashley has only himself to blame if Newcastle are relegated. His short sighted, penny – pinching ways may well have cost him £millions in lost TV revenue, in fact more money than he has squirrelled away over the last 5 years. Some would say poetic justice to a man who has swept aside the wishes of thousands of supporters. He has trodden on all the traditions of our famous club starting with re- naming St. James Park. He has ignored sound advice from sound professionals around him for years preferring instead to hire people with whom he has liaisons and friendship instead of sound football knowledge. For a man who is so successful at making money it is totally puzzling how he can be so naive about running a football club, a great and famous football club. It is only Mike Ashley that can save Newcastle United, not just from relegation, but from a prolonged decline where Attendances drop to 18 k instead of full houses every home game. The loss of pride and ambition that now stalks the club will take more than just money to repair and trust in the Newcastle hierarchy that went down the tubes a long time ago will not easily be fixed. We all know you won’t listen because you think you know best, but this is a battle of wills you will lose along with a shed load of money on the way. First steps were taken today and they will only get worse until you start treating us as yours customers and not the fools you take us for. We await your next moves with interest !

• BandB

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:26 PM

Ibiza

For me, the empty seats were heartbreaking.

Every empty seat today represented a real person going cold turkey.

I remember vowing not to look at the clock on match days. The pang was like addiction withdrawal .

And there were people today who had never missed a single match who were not there.

They aren’t “good numbers.” They are a sign of good people being pushed too far.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:26 PM

That would be a killer blow for me if this was to happen although why would you not want to join them ?THey are a club on the up

• firebug666

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:26 PM

Off to bed now but would just like to say well done to everyone who took action today to restore some pride to the Newcastle fans.

Special thanks to Ibiza, Average Contents, and Optimistic Prime who have made the day very enjoyable with what must have been a massive effort, well done guys.

• lesh

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:34 PM

When PL match attendances are quoted, don’t they normally include all season ticket holders on the basis that their seats have been paid for – thus they’ve attended – whether there or not?

That being the case and if anyone knows how many season tickets have been sold, it we can take it that about 5000 on-the-day tickets weren’t sold.

It’d be interesting to know how many ST holders didn’t attend although we’ll never find out as they’ll say they’ve no way of telling. Are ST holders’ recorded as they pass through the turnstiles?

In any event, the images shown on MoTD showed what I would say was an unusually high number of empty seats.

Given the focus on Ashley and Carver I’d say it was a good day for the protest.

Well done all – point well made and it’s only just begun.

• stuart no9

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:35 PM

Watching the game on tv in Mexico . No sound , couldn’t hear the commentary , I could see the empty sections behind the goal , so for a first boycott , it went well . The performance will guarantee a bigger boycott next time. Those I’d you who did go, get a grip – you got what you deserve , a shit afternoon . Well done

• Mister Tuff

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:36 PM

I met an elderly Toon fan today. I was walking down the lane opposite the Strawberry behind the East stand from the area of Leazes Terrace.
    The elderly fan was an old lady of about 75 years of age -but obviously spritely. She was playing hell about Mr Tubbs reign at the Toon and what had happened to the club and vowed not to renew her season ticket until he was gone.
    She would have put a lot of people who continue to go to shame.
    She said that she also supported the Pardew out campaign. An amazing “old bird”.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:37 PM

Mojo…Cheers!

Tuff…You too. Well worth the effort. I look forward to taking the next step with you good sir.

BandB…Agreed. The fact the numbers are high is terrible, as has been discussed, its my biggest issue from Ashleys reign. I wish fans didn’t need to sacrifice to make a stand, but I’m proud so many have / did. A credit to the toon army, they always have been, always will be.

HWTF

• Sir Braveheart

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:37 PM

Well said BandB, lets not forget the hurt and suffering behind every empty seat, the sacrifice made.

Thank you to those guys who went out of the way to help support and organise things today. I salute you all.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:41 PM

lesh – I was talking to one of the lads at the protest today and he said that the police had told them that they would supply the exact details of the number of attendees at the game , from the computerised turnstile system Apparently the emergency services are told this exact figure each game. So if that is true the exact figure should emerge.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:47 PM

Tuff…Today has removed, once and for all, this idea that the issue is only from a certain type of fan. I.E “Modern fans” as was suggested on here yesterday. The ones who have only ever known the entertainers.

It’s complete tosh, as your post confirms. This is about the soul of this club. Im going to bed soon, in fact, I might say….now.

I’ll leave you all with this for the last time today.

HWTF

WAITING FOR INDEPENDENCE DAY

By Bea Handby

St James’s Park. I have been aware of it since childhood.
    Driving past it on the bus on the way to school. Waving it goodbye from a taxi as I left home for the station on my way to university. And later, when I returned, walking past it daily on my way to work.
    It got bigger and shinier in that time. Gone was the assembly of crumbling terraces and tin sheds where my father and brothers stood in all weathers, bursting for a piss.
    In its place rose a giant modern cathedral, visible for miles around. Sitting on its hill. Dominating its city in a way few other stadiums in the world do. Physically and emotionally at the very heart of the community. Its hearth. Its heartbeat. Its place of worship.

It drew the eye and the soul towards it, sucking me, sucking us all into its streaming, steaming multitude of the under-dressed and over-excited. The whiff of hotdog and onion, the warm breath from the brewery, drawing Tyneside’s dreamers from beneath the shipyard crane, from the shops and factories, and from the Blue Star above the alehouse door. Running for home, Newcastle style.
    And oh, the NOISE!

Its all gone now. That stuff. Tales to be told by old men and sentimentalists. Having had a harsher lesson in life’s cold realities than most communities, we are told we are the ones who are failing to face them. St James’s Park is not a place for dreaming now.

Now it squats there, like a monstrous spaceship from an end of the world movie. Alien, inscrutable, threatening. Filled with creatures who do not feel what we feel, think how we think, or want what we want. We are an invaded people, living in its shadow. Waiting for our Independence Day.

When I pass it now, I turn my head away.

• Belfast

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:01 AM

Pretty sure you’ll be able to find out the exact figure through the freedom of information act.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:01 AM

The lad next to me at the match has a close contact on the inside. He told me Jonas had gone absolutely off it with Carver in a training session during the week. He was angry because the session was so shit and because Carver didn’t know what he was doing. Carver warned the players that if the bust up got out and he found out who let it out, they’d be finished.

• Belfast

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:06 AM

I bet it was a Mike Basset inspired training session. 10 push ups and 10 press ups then home for a tab.

• stuart no9

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:06 AM

Not seen much news this week , on holiday in sunny mexico . Can someone tell me what jonas has said to p@ss people off ??

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:11 AM

Ibiza
    If this was an election, you’d have lost by a country mile. Although it was better supported than I expected, I’d say the vast majority did not join in. As for talk of the crowd being less than 40000 or even 30000, that’s rubbish. There was well over 40000 in the ground.

I have teased you boys about your armchairs and have had a laugh at your expense, particularly the armchair supporters who are most keen, but I have to admit there was an impact on the numbers. I see LaurentRobert32 supports it and I like his opinion on football matters so respect to him and others who are regular attenders that didn’t go.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:20 AM

Blackley…I really am keen to avoid “us” and “you”.

In election terms, who said this was election day?

We’ve just started campaigning.

500 – 50,000. Today was a success.

Night Blackley.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:20 AM

I don’t know if it was to do with the Jonas incident, but Carver had the first team attackers including the likes of Cabella against the under 18s defenders. They couldn’t score.