Newcastle Want To Sign Irish International Winger

It’s a Sunday so take these transfer stories linking players with the Magpies with a pinch of salt, and one of them is an exclusive in the Star today, which reports we are interested in signing James McClean,  the former Sunderland winger, who is now at Championship side Wigan, who are second bottom of the Championship and could well be relegated this season.

james mcclean

James McClean – former Sunderland winger

The 25 times capped Irish International is hardly the caliber of player Newcastle fans will be expecting the club to sign this summer, but at least he would be fairly cheap, which is one parameter Mike Ashley values highly in the transfer market.

The reason the Star gives of why Newcastle may be interested is that Steve McClaren tried to sign the 26 year-old in January for Derby County, and he would be keen to get the Irish winger on Tyneside, should he accept the head coach job at Newcastle this will be offered to him this summer.

If Newcastle do appoint McClaren as head coach that will mean Newcastle’s mediocrity in the Premier League will continue, with the former Middlesbrough coach hardly having the credentials that can take Newcastle challenging for a top six position in the league.

In fact we rate Alan Pardew as a better coach than Steve McClaren.

This kind of average player will not excite Newcastle fans this summer but McClean will be fairly cheap and his wages will not be high.

So it fits some of the criteria Mike Ashley is looking for in new players this summer.

McClean signed for Sunderland from Derry City (his home town club)  in the summer of 2011 and scored 11 goals and 8 assists in 70 total appearances for the Black Cats over two seasons.

He joined just relegated Wigan in the summer of 2013 on a three year deal, and this season he’s scored 6 goals and 7 assists in 35 games for Wigan.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:27 AM

Morning Ed, should Igive you a few minutes? 🙂

• optimistic prime

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:28 AM

I’m coming home Newcastle, I wish I’d never been away.
    I’ll scream and shout all day and night to chase the slug away, I’m coming home Newcastle.

ASHLEY OOOOOOT
    HWTF

• optimistic prime

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:30 AM

That’s better ed, that’s more like the standard the slug buys.

Ashley out
    Fans in
    HWTL

• Ibizatoon

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:33 AM

Ed…You’ve found a whole new way to wind up Catchy on here, and it’s just not cool 🙂

• toonarmydownsouth

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:35 AM

So after all the PR overdrive from the club, the exclusive interviews, the suprise injury recoveries, the promise of big spending and a major overhaul of the squad the leaked stories about going for a cup now we’re “stable” (as we plunge towards relegation) poor Johnny boy goes and blows the lot by opening his cake hole for
    another “straight and honest” interview, I like the bit where he admits he hasn’t actually spoken to MA Ashley but been drip fed bits and bobs by Charnley

JC you like MA deserve everything you get

HWTF #Boycottspurs

• Ibizatoon

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:36 AM

OP…Did you get that email?

Jesper…From previous threads….No worries mate, send it over and I’ll get it on there.

• mindshaft

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:42 AM

Haha – clearly slow news day , even toon wouldn’t stoop so low as to sign mcClean – even at nowt he’s too expensive

• Ibizatoon

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:43 AM

tads…I like the bit about 14 year old “legends”.

How he’s being allowed to continue rambling to the press is beyond me. Where is the boards signal of solidarity? They’ve just left him, like others before him, to stand there and take it all.

That’s alright though, at least he’s a Geordie, who knew Sir Bobby you know?

Carver…Again, this has little to do with you. Of those 100’s of phonecalls, I’m sure someone’s told you that.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:45 AM

mindshaft…I think this one is just Ed’s way of rallying people up.

An ex-Mackem?! 🙂

Ed…Have we settled yet for a while?

• Transfer Sage

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:46 AM

tads

Brilliant article…just sums up the mess we are in.

• toonarmydownsouth

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:49 AM

Ibiza
    But those phone calls have been from Pardew and Peter Reid….suddenly explains a lot!!!!

• Transfer Sage

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:49 AM

Today is the most excited I’ve been for a game all season, just looking forward to see how many fans turn up, will be interesting to see where the majority of the game going fans stand on the issue.

• spitfire_

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:50 AM

So this is the trilling targets Carver speaks about.

• scout

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:50 AM

Anyone could get top 6 with the funding. SM is not only a good manager but a good man.
    I dont know what everyones problem is with the guy. We aren’t gonna get Klopp its fantasy stuff.

• optimistic prime

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:50 AM

Ibiza

No, the blog secretary needs to pull his finger out 🙂

• toonarmydownsouth

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:51 AM

Sage
    Honestly you couldn’t make it up, absolute mess

Did you read the guest blog from George Caulkin? Brilliant read

• scout

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:51 AM

Lads its in the Star……….really

• toonarmydownsouth

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:52 AM

Sage
    Seen a few say that, me included, sadly shows the state of the club if the most exciting game this season is only exciting becuase hopefully no ones going!

• Transfer Sage

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:53 AM

tads

I’ve not see that, I’ll have a look to find it now.

• optimistic prime

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:54 AM

Ibiza

Last email I have is the reply from the pic for BandB

• Lindisfarne

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:55 AM

More music to my ears

• BandB

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:56 AM

Sage

Have you done your HWTF?

Then you could show them where you stand on the issue.

If you read back, lots have, and few surprising ones haven’t.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:58 AM

I thought Charnley were going to handle the media? Seem to remember both something from the Minutes and had only ever ‘stage’ interview a while back 🙂

Ibiza…I’ll mail it to your usual email

• Ibizatoon

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:59 AM

OP…Really? Right, let’s see if we can fit a foot up someones backside….ow. Not mine.

I’ll go check it out 🙂

tads…For all we know, it could be Pardew calling him from loads of different numbers with different characters. For all we know, Carver might not even have a phone.

TS…Today does have a feel of excitement about it. Something has happened, not 100% sure what yet, but everyone needs to rememeber, today is not definitive, it’s just another chance to stand up – Go on, take it!

HWTF!

• Lindisfarne

Apr 19, 2015 at 9:01 AM

—Riviere——–Perez
    ———-Cabella
    Sammy—Colback–Abeid
    Anita–Collo–Janmaat–R.Taylor
    ———–Krul

• scout

Apr 19, 2015 at 9:02 AM

No burgers and pies today at the ground. Just hard cheese and sour grapes.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 19, 2015 at 9:03 AM

tads

Just read it now, very very good piece. I wish local journo’s from the chronicle would stand up but I do understand they need access to the club.

In my opinion the premier league should really be stepping in and laying down laws that no journo’s or tv companies can be banned/have limited access……the interest from the papers/tv is what gives the football clubs money.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 19, 2015 at 9:03 AM

TS…I am 100% for this protest and hopefully future protests af well (I did my own private protest last year 🙂 ), but lets be clear close to 50000 will turn up today inside the gates of SJP;

…wish it weren’t so!

• Ibizatoon

Apr 19, 2015 at 9:11 AM

Jesper…500-50,000, today it doesn’t matter. It’s starting again. Let’s support it, not say what it will or wont do.

We have others to do that mate 🙂

• Sav

Apr 19, 2015 at 9:25 AM

Exactly the sort of signing a club with seriously mid-table ambitions needs. McLean will run around and throw himself into everything but the end product is usually lacking. I’ve seen him come on as 2nd half sub for Ireland and galvanise a flagging team short of ideas but that is what you are buying. Energetic, wholehearted but definitely not premiership starting calibre.

• lochinvar

Apr 19, 2015 at 9:28 AM

No so long ago we talked of Benteke as an ideal buy for the club.
    Now touted to Man Ure for £25m
    Did we take a wrong turn somewhere.

Two of us not at the game so two empty seats but as season ticket holders we will be counted as part of the official attendance – that’s another fraud perpetrated by the FA and clubs – if you’re in the ground fine, if you’re not you’re not.

• DicBDownUnder

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:12 AM

I fully support #BoycottSpurs and ashleyout.com , I am counting down the hours to watch this match, I don’t know what the feeling is like back home, but I get a strong sense that this has the backing of a lot of fans. I am excited to see how empty the stadium is, see united we all are.
    MyCa$hley has gone to far.

#HWTF

• The overrated Frenchman

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:12 AM

This lad could be a canny signing. He might follow in the footsteps of Damian Duff, Alan O’Brien and Shane Ferguson, Newcastle legends one and all…

• dannitoon

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:55 PM

Refuses to wear a poppy… even the mackems booed him… no f way he should be allowed in UK never mind the toon

• Ericles

Apr 19, 2015 at 1:51 PM

Sums up Ashley’s ambition and we can expect his puppy dog Carver to tow the line!

• boltonmagpie

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:12 PM

Well, Here I am in France preparing for a week of business. Hoping against hope that we would get at least a point!!
    Have not seen any of the game so do not know how we played, but I think if we do go down (and I believe we will) we will follow Leeds into oblivion. This squad does not have the leaders like the last one had to get us back up.

Ashley, as a businessman has been lucky. He has been up against companies who have had other businesses to deal with and took their eye off the ball. (Wigan, Man City in the early days).

Sorry to say but even to stand still in business these days you need to do more than just plough the same furrow every year.

If he appoints a decent coach and backs it up with a strong and quick central defender (preferably 2), a goal scoring play maker and a 20 goal striker I may just eat my words, but that might cost about £60m+.

In the current regime why should anyone with any ambition want to join a team that will sell your best player the minute a good offer comes in!!

If we were given Messi on a free this summer and someone offered £6m for him in January he would be sold.

Pardew had some shortcomings, but we will never really know if he could have cut it, as every transfer window he had his feet pulled from under him with the sale of an non replaced prime quality asset.

I uasd to think Freddie Shepherd was mad throwing all of his money at one marquee signing every now and then, but at least there was some excitement.

Sad to say I am not looking forward to next season.

Luckily I live far enough away (Bolton) not to have to agonise whether or not to renew my season ticket.

I have watched our under-achievers from the Gallowgate, the Leazes end and later the Jackie Milburn side as a youngster to young man. There was always an excitement and an expectation that we would win at home (and we usually did) even against the bigger teams.

How can Southampton and Swansea (and Stoke) be so much better than us.

The target should not be a top ten finish , but 60 points.
    42-45 from home games, the rest from our travels – admittedly we were never great -I once remember drawing 5 – 5 with QPR away in the old first division when we were 5-2 up, but again it was exciting.

What is there for a current NUFC supporter?
    Nothing!
    Even the Corporate hospitality is not as good as Bolton where I now live!!!

• boltonmagpie

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:14 PM

Sorry to add, but where are Wigan?
    James MacLean? Don’t make me laugh (CRY!!!)