100% Effort Mandatory – 3 Points Needed – Two Players Back

There was good news today that Siem de Jong will play tonight at Aston Villa for the U21 side, and he has said on the Newcastle web-site that he hopes to make his return on Saturday at home to Swansea – and we need players back to try to get the win that will relieve some of the growing anxiety on Tyneside.

siem de jong - good shot of him in training

Siem de Jong – could be back on saturday

This is what Siem has said before the game tonight:

“I’m almost back but I just feel I missed the last 5% in terms of explosiveness and things like that. Sometimes you want to make an action and you’re just not that explosive yet.”

“I have to work on that in the coming days and weeks. We’ve trained hard until now but I’m still building up.” “I’m not there yet but I’m getting there. We haven’t discussed when I’ll be back but I hope to be back on the bench against Swansea depending how it goes in the coming days.”

“We’ll see how it goes – I still have to get a little bit stronger, a little bit more explosive and a little faster so hopefully I can work on that.”

Let’s hope Siem comes through the game OK tonight and he could be on the bench on Saturday.

The other good news is that Paul Dummett should be fit and he could come straight back in at left back – and then we’d have a decent back four.

And John Carver will change the tactics for the game at Swansea – and that’s good – if only because we did nothing to warrant a win yesterday against Tottenham.

This is what Carver has said today:

“I am now going to have to come up with a team that will work hard. A team that will close people down and will put people under pressure.”  “It might not be pretty but it will get points.”

“I can’t see anybody who will come back and affect the group. Maybe Paul Dummett and Siem. We will see how they go during the week.”

“We’ve had a good conversation, even the injured lads were in there along with all the staff, and we need to come up with a solution and hopefully we can find that.”

John makes too much of the “good conversations” he has with the players – John has to remember it’s only talk and means very little – and players will probably be telling him exactly what he wants to hear – so he then thinks everything is fine.

Until they play the next game and nothing has changed.

Maybe some one-on-one talks with a few of the players –  but some probably the majority need a good old kick up the pants to wake them up.

But the proof of the pudding is in the eating – actions speak louder than words – and it’s time a lot of our players just got out on that pitch and played like their lives depended on it.

We played great in that second half  against Arsenal,  so we know the players now available can do that.

That’s what we want to see against Swansea – an all out effort – giving 100% and playing for the shirt – the Newcastle UNited shirt.

If the lads can do that – who knows – we could even win the game.

Howay The Lads!!

• cyprus

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:19 PM

SDJ sell. Aarons sell. Sorry, I need a win or else I won’t be positive anymore. In fact, I’m off for the evening 🙂

• cyprus

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:20 PM

Obertan: pay to move 😉

• Small World

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:21 PM

cyprus // Apr 20, 2015 at 8:20 PM

Why stop at Obertan?

• cyprus

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:22 PM

Must agree there. But I promised I’ll leave for tonight 🙂 Have a good one all.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:22 PM

So we basically are going to rush 3 players back from injury are we John?

What does he mean he is now going to field a team that is going to work hard and close people down ? Thats what we should be doing every week you plumb !! What players do we have that put in the effort either because lots of them cant be bothered at all

Sick to death of him spouting such utter tosh every day

Wonder what Ashley is thinking after the boycott ? Hes that petty and vindictive he might be unphased at all would not surprise me if Carver already has the job and we spend the bare minimum !

ALSO STILL NO WORDS FROM CHARNLEY!!!??

• MrMojoRisin76

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:22 PM

Blackley and Brownlie

I haven’t slagged off fans who boycott. I’ve said that the most enthusiastic boycotters are the armchair supporters.

Come on now,at almost every turn you try to discredit everything positive about the protest,against a man you yourself described as behaving disgracefully to the fans and running the club shambolically.

Do you even know which side you are on?

• roblee7

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:26 PM

Very little from Ed on the fans discontent at the mo, I know he’s against it but why neglect fans like that? All these pointless articles on ‘good news, Dummett is back’, etc. Great news Ed, feel great now thanks!! Write something about whats actually going on for gods sake. Thats all they’ve been talking about on football phone in because thats whats going on at the moment. You don’t have to say you agree with it but like others have said, you seem disconnected from whats actually going on at the moment here in Newcastle where our football lives are basically a misery, hence protests. Not rocket science to discuss these goings on in some shape or form if you are with us, that is!

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:27 PM

Mister Tuff

You need to live up to your name. You said “keep annoying others (annoyingly) …” you didn’t say (annoyingly to them). You were the one who made the statement not them. So I had plenty foundation to say you were annoyed.

• roblee7

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:27 PM

I mean with us as in one of the fans and not another Mike Ashley mouthpiece that is

• optimistic prime

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:35 PM

Blackleg

No I don’t expect you to know the where about a of every supporter but if your going to comment on my post I EXPECT you to at least read it correctly!

I stated I went into SJP on 30mins with my mates ST as I wanted to see for myself how many where in SJP because the tv wasn’t showing any of the crowd above pitch level which was rather strange.

Walking in and walking out makes no difference as anyone with any sense knew the club would count ST holders even if they weren’t there!

You accused someone on last thread of using miss information that’s quite humorous as you don’t bother with any information on offer.

• roblee7

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:35 PM

I work in a shop in the toon n spoke to lots of fans over last few days n all anyone is talking about is boycotts, just can’t get my head around Ed’s thinking. I literally find it baffling, sorry Ed

• welshgeordie9

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:35 PM

Blackley and Brownlie

Perhaps mister tuff should change his name to mister meldrew.

Ha ha ha

• investinyouthtoon

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:35 PM

@Blackley

FYI, the protest although organised by social media and NUST, and labelled as AshleyOut, but the aim was not entirely to force Ashley out, it was to highlight to the wider world and to Ashley himself that we as fans expect a lot better from him, and for him to buck up his ideas and soon….

We DO need CHANGE and NOW, not when were languishing in league 1 with yet more and more broken promises, which Ashley has failed to deliver upon in his 8 years at the Toon

HWTF

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:36 PM

Tuff

This is what you wrote: ” …people who still claim they do not know what it’s all about and keep asking others (annoyingly) what the aims are.”

It is clear that this implies you’re annoyed.

• roblee7

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:37 PM

A full article on your opinion on the protests would do…do it Ed! I dare yer 😉 Full explanation on your opinion would be great!

• Graeme

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:38 PM

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:39 PM

investinyouth

Well it’s a good job I’m asking these questions because some people on here who want to call me an idiot have misunderstood. I only asked in the first place because people are saying different things.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:39 PM

blackley you are an argumentative tool – if I wanted to include myself I would have said “keep annoying us”.
    Give it a rest man. This reminds me of what another poster mentioned a short time ago when you wanted to arrest King Percy for assaulting Meyler -despite being informed correctly you still argue the case.
    What a tart.
    My blog name of Tuff has nothing to do with the correct application of English Grammar – more to do with other attributes I possess.

• AndyMac

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:40 PM

@roblee7 I think a lot of the expat fans are living in a bubble of “it cant be as bad as all that”.

Whereas we all know it’s worse. You just cannot translate the lack of hope, passion or desire into words strong enough for those abroad or at least dahn sarf !

This club and city is in limbo. Nothing to shout about, nothing to feel good about, nothing to smile about. It’s what Fatman has left us – NOTHING !

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:41 PM

Welsh

I would have loved to meet yesterday the man who calls himself Mr Tuff. I made myself available wearing a distinctive black, blue and bright yellow top.

• Novocastrian66

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:42 PM

I think the boycott was a resounding success, both in the numbers that stayed away and perhaps more importantly, that it has raised the debate of Ashley’s intentions for the club to a national level.
    The debate has moved on from; the unrealistic demands of the fans which seems to be the general oponion of Newcastle supporters, to focusing on the way the club is ran and the motives of the owner.
    That can only be a good outcome.

• Average_Contents

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:46 PM

“I am now going to have to come up with a team that will work hard. A team that will close people down and will put people under pressure.” “It might not be pretty but it will get points.”

Hang on a minute. Work hard, close down and put people under pressure?

Isn’t that the basic fundamentals of football along with passing? That’s what we SHOULD be doing.

That’s not ugly.

Getting willo to hoof it to the smallest player on the pitch is. Aiming for willo with every set piece is.
    Watching our players run around chasing shadows is.

My god the man is to football what Blackleg is to passion.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:47 PM

Tuff
    That other poster was wrong too. He said I didn’t understand the law and Percy couldn’t have been charged for it. I happened to speak to the police officer who made the decision and he anguished long and hard about it because he recognised that Percy could have easily been arrested and charged. He accepted that a different officer might have made a different decision.

• roblee7

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:47 PM

AndyMac -thank God someone understands me 🙂 honestly, I’ve read Ed’s articles daily for what seems like years and is it just me or is he very tight lipped on all that is going on? I may even boycott the blog if he doesn’t start discussing it. Feels almost embarrassing that he dodges it to be honest! At the minute, who gives a flying **** if de Jong or dummett is fit??? Fans are more worried about the state of our club, the bigger picture. I highly doubt that de Jong or Dummett coming back is enough to raise hopes

• lochinvar

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:47 PM

John Carver:

And so John just exactly what have you coached the team to do over the last four months?

I always thought that scoring goals was a good way to get points but maybe I’m mistaken.

Stick to Being a Bingo Caller John, that way you can hold the microphone, make silly announcements and get a free pie supper at the end of the night.

• scout

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:47 PM

B and B

you sound like gok wan mate

• optimistic prime

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:48 PM

Is BandB around?

Are you there?

How did you get on yesterday?

I still haven’t read the 1000+ posts from yesterday.

• scout

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:48 PM

Maybe go for a little off the shoulder number at the Swansea game.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:49 PM

Novo…Well said. Hooray to the fans! HWTF!

First hand, Tuffs “other attributes” sure are Tuff. As a fanbase, we’re lucky to have him.

• scout

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:51 PM

Has Carver lost the plot?

I am going to create a car that gets me from a to b. It will have an engine, transmission and 4 wheels.

• investinyouthtoon

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:51 PM

Ashley needs to look at himself in the mirror, and ask whether he is prepared to invest and become serious about transforming the club into a team with ambitions of winning a cup, or reaching top 8 in the prem. Or whether he needs to sell up at a reduced price, as on current value this club is worth nowhere near the £350M he values it at, should be looking at £200M absolute max…

Ashley, time to go or sell up? You make the call, but you must not renege on your choice

• lochinvar

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:52 PM

Average_contents @22
    Great minds think alike.
    Maybe we should pass some notes though the training ground fence and see if the players are prepared to try out our revolutionary tactics of passing and scoring goals.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:53 PM

OP…You have reached the voicemail of BandB, please leave your message after the tone, oh, Ashley Out! Beeep.

AC…That last line, you almost killed me.

Roblee…Whilst I quietly agree, something NUFC related isn’t getting it’s attention in the article. What we do still have, that I will be forever grateful, no matter the hits or money made, is we have a platform, free to us, which has toon fans from EVERYWHERE on it.

It’s an amazing gift.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:55 PM

Scout @ 30…Seriously don’t. That one really nearly killed me 🙂

Blackley, be gentle with me. I’m in a fragile state.