Former Chairman Unhappy With Boycott – Support The Team

Former Newcastle United Chairman Freddy Shepherd says he is very worried about the current situation at the club, where the team seems to be going to hell in a hand-basket under John Carver, and Shepherd does not think the boycott on Sunday was very helpful.

freddy shepherd now

Freddy Shepherd – boycott not the answer

At the best of times we wouldn’t have had much chance of beating Spurs, not in the form we’ve been in this year,  so we didn’t expect anything out of the game yesterday.

And that’s exactly what we got – nothing – but the game coming up against Swansea is another matter,  and we could  get 3 points in that game – although it will not be easy.

Leicester beat Swansea City at home over the weekend to get their third win on the trot, and get as many points in those three games as we have had all season in 14 league games.

🙁

This is what Freddy Shepherd told Sky Sports News HQ today:

“I’m really worried, but I think a boycott’s not going to be the answer. I don’t think it helps anybody.”

“We need to get behind John Carver and the team. Doing a boycott isn’t going to help that team. They’re lacking confidence and they need every supporter behind them.”

“Mike Ashley’s a very clever guy,” “There’s no doubt about it – he’s a great businessman, so he knows what he’s doing.”

“I think in the summer you’ll see a big change in Newcastle, because he’ll not want his assets to depreciate, so I’m confident he’s going to come out in the summer and spend some money and get some players in.”

It was the lowest attendance of the season, but only a few hundred less than the game against Stoke, and 2,000 less than the game against Manchester United – but it did send a message to Mike Ashley.

And of course Mike Ashley is going to buy some players in the summer and we’re sure that will happen, although we’ll have trouble getting our top targets on Tyneside – simply because we have no European football to offer top players, and we wont even mention the lack of ambition.

But Freddy is missing the point just a little bit – Ashley will do that because he wants to keep Newcastle United in the Premier League, but only because he wants to continue to use the club as a word-wide advertising board for his Sports Direct company.

Mike has no big ambitions that we’ve seen to build a top team to challenge for the top six in the Premier League and make Newcastle great again.

That’s what some of us older folk want to see, with time starting to run out for some of us.

And that’s what Geordie fans want to see – young and old – not having Newcastle finish below the middle of the table every season – which has happened in all but one season under Mike Ashley.

It’s not good enough – not for Newcastle United.

We hope the local fans can support the team on Saturday, and maybe we can even get a full house – and get the win we desperately need,  before things get too bad in the league table.

The last thing we want this season is to get relegated again – that would be a disaster for everybody.

• optimistic prime

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:50 PM

Is BandB around?

Are you there?

How did you get on yesterday?

I still haven’t read the 1000+ posts from yesterday.

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:52 PM

Very easy to say from a man with little to no affiliation anymore.

Again though, the supporters weren’t behind them. They sat silent and idle for the majority of the game.

• GeordieTwo

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:52 PM

Shut up Shepard, you haven’t got a clue. Your pockets are full of club money (as are your son’s). Keep the cake hole shut.

• Average_Contents

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:53 PM

“I am now going to have to come up with a team that will work hard. A team that will close people down and will put people under pressure.” “It might not be pretty but it will get points.”

Hang on a minute. Work hard, close down and put people under pressure?

Isn’t that the basic fundamentals of football along with passing? That’s what we SHOULD be doing.

That’s not ugly.

Getting willo to hoof it to the smallest player on the pitch is. Aiming for willo with every set piece is.
    Watching our players run around chasing shadows is.

My god the man is to football what Blackleg is to passion.

• GeordieTwo

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:53 PM

“If not this year, then relegation in 2016 looks a good bet at the current rate of decline. It’s hard to think of a side who possess less physical presence and at times, Spurs were able to mark up at set pieces by merely standing in front of their opponents and blocking out their view.”
    A little excerpt from NUFC.com. Read it and weep Ashley you clown.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:54 PM

Mind you…

Ed…What boycott? 🙂

REPOST:

OP…You have reached the voicemail of BandB, please leave your message after the tone, oh, Ashley Out! Beeep.

AC…That last line, you almost killed me.

Roblee…Whilst I quietly agree, something NUFC related isn’t getting it’s attention in the article. What we do still have, that I will be forever grateful, no matter the hits or money made, is we have a platform, free to us, which has toon fans from EVERYWHERE on it.

It’s an amazing gift.

• optimistic prime

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:56 PM

Ibiza

Haha, she must have taken my suggestion to party party party and is recovering today 😉

G2

Hello young man, how did your protest go?

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:57 PM

Ed, I don’t get what it is you’re after? You say time is running out etc yet you aren’t willing to instigate methods of change. You aren’t willing to see the reality of how that change will have to occur. Get behind the team literally but stay apathetic and disillusioned is your port of call, but you haven’t once justified it.

• Average_Contents

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:57 PM

Nice of you to cover people who don’t like the idea of a boycott

• Belfast

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:58 PM

• GeordieTwo

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:59 PM

My protest didn’t really get up to steam. The local TV idiots messed up the game and the female member of the family were after me head for not doing my chores. I will try to improve my attempts for Swansea optimate. Harrumph.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:01 PM

blackley what on earth is this shite :-
    “Welshie
    I would have loved to meet yesterday the man who calls himself Mr Tuff. I made myself available wearing a distinctive black, blue and bright yellow top.”

Veiled offer to assault. Clearly losing the argument – -using your standards. Hypocrite.
    The only thing you have correctly stated this year -is the colours in the above post.
    Black blue and yellow.
    Yellow streak down your back if I came after you and if I caught you blue and blue being the new shade of eye make up I would apply to your mug.

• GeordieTwo

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:02 PM

Shepard is a tw@t. Always was.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:03 PM

OP…That woman is constantly having a party! I swear, unruly RandY thing. I hope she kicked her legs in the air like the rest of us. She thoroughly deserved too.

As for those 1,000 posts, it is actually worth the read. I’m re-living it, collating info, HWTF counting. I’m smiling ear to ear.

I feel we’re at a stage of no return. The only outcome is change. If it’s still not right, we’ll rally again.

No more living in fear. That is the stuff of dictatorships. It’s not for me, nor is it for the Newcastle United, city and it’s people.

WOOOOOFFF!

• optimistic prime

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:03 PM

Belfast

I looked but shouldn’t have 🙂

• GeordieTwo

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:04 PM

“However, the majority of the Magpies on display were short on confidence, ability and application and this squad of players is simply not good enough for this division.” More from NUFC.com. Spot on. Well built squad there, right Ashley?

• Mister Tuff

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:04 PM

correction black and blue

• MrMojoRisin76

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:04 PM

Lol Tuff.Class

• optimistic prime

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:05 PM

Ibiza

I’ll probs catch up later when things die off a bit, did my picture with Ashley go down well? 🙂 I kinda liked him 😉

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:05 PM

So Blackley turned up to the boycott dressed as a parrot hoping to start a fight. Can you imagine the headline. Man punches annoying parrot in boycott frustration.

• MrMojoRisin76

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:06 PM

Black,blue and yellow?,aren’t those the colour’s of a tit?

• optimistic prime

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:06 PM

Woof woof woof

Nearly forgot 🙂

• Ibizatoon

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:07 PM

or to…not too.

To too or not to to? What was the question?

Is it bedtime yet?

• roblee7

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:07 PM

Seriously Ed, pack it in man…did you publish one article with photos of the protests, etc? These are your people, fans like you, get real!!!

Ibiza… I am forever grateful to Ed for the blog. It’s just bizarre and I am seriously bored of his ‘non-event’ articles at the moment. Everybody else is talking about it in one way or another, papers, sky, etc…but nothing from Ed. Embarrassing for us fans on here is all I can say! Raging sorry Ed, have been for days, mental not to be even discussing it in a non-biased way!! Every article written at the moment is just 100% cringeworthy.leaving now for good until Ed starts ‘communicating with the fans’…sound familiar? Adios

• optimistic prime

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:07 PM

JFA

Hello, did you get to listen to BBC Newcastle tonight?
    It totally slipped my mind

• optimistic prime

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:09 PM

Could I suggest e mailing ed if you have a question you want him to answer.

There’s a decent chance he’ll reply.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:10 PM

Just to be clear, in the spirit of HWTF, Blackley, you were given so so so many opportunities to stop playing games.

Pedantic time wasting arguments. For what purpose?

Let us know when you actually want to discuss and listen to what we have to say. If not, we’re busy.

An armchair fan to a right proper one. HWTF

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:10 PM

OP,
    No mate, had to look after the bairns tonight

• Rotonda heights

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:11 PM

ed quoting shepherd to support his case. the guy is a total pariah

• optimistic prime

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:13 PM

JFA

Damn, I wanted to listen to guage the reaction but got side tracked banging my head against a wall, not literally but you get the idea.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:13 PM

Tuff/OP

Ha Tuff. Only you could see that as a veiled threat. It was not any type of threat.

Ha OP. Boycotters using season tickets to get into the ground to see how many were in the ground. And then wondering why the official figures were so high. You couldn’t make it up.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:15 PM

Ibiza

What games? I’m not playing any games. Just because you’re not having the conversation that you want does not make it a game.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:16 PM

OP…Agreed. Ed has always been very quick to respond when I’ve emailed in the past.

Mind, I do wonder whether “Go take a long walk off a short bridge” is just his auto-reply now I think about it 🙂

Roblee…I get where you’re coming from. I guess Im just picking my battles at the minute. It’s like Carver, I could go on about him all day long, but there is really little point. It’s almost as if he’s there for that very purpose…

We need to stand together for a while. This would seem as good a place as any whilst we sort it all out.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:18 PM

jail – that would have been bad PR for the campaign. After the horse puncher the red tops would have lapped it up.

• Belfast

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:18 PM

• croftus5678

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:20 PM

he sold the club and ran with the money when ashley came so he’s just as guilty as ashley is imo.

jog on shep i’ve never heard your opinion on the club when things are bad only when your rubbing up ashleys right leg and making him some penny’s

• scout

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:20 PM

Ba. Remy.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:21 PM

It’s common sense that he’ll try to get some good players in for the reason Freddy states. Whether he’ll succeed is a different matter.

If Freddy was on the blog, Ibiza would be saying Freddy’s playing games for daring to say as much.

• banjax

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:22 PM

In an ideal world getting three points and protesting would be the way to go, but we’re not living in and ideal world. Hopefully we will have some of our injured back for Swansea and Sissoko back after that. That should help restore some of the confidence on the pitch to get a few more points in the bag to stave off relegation.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:22 PM

Tuff/Mojo

Funnily enough Blackleg also wore black waterproof overtrousers.

1 2 3 5