Jamie Carragher – I’m Getting Bored By Newcastle

There was a crowd 47, 427 at St. James’ Park yesterday and that was about 3,000 less than the attendance for the Arsenal game and about 2,000 less than the crowd for the Manchester United game – so not too many seemed to stay away as part of the planned boycott.

jamie carragher

Jamie Carragher – Newcastle are boring

And of course we lost again so did ourselves no favors on the pitch.

And Newcastle’s grave situation which seems to be getting worse with each game played caused Sky Sports pundit Jamie Carragher to lay into Mike Ashley and thew way he runs the club to make money:

This is what Jamie said when asked if he can understand the frustration of the Newcastle fans:

“I can. It’s getting to the stage now, football is so big, there’s that much money coming in to the game with the new TV deal, and I am sick of owners coming in who are successful business people wherever they’ve been.”

“They think ‘where else can I make money? Oh a football club’.” “I’ve had it at my own club Liverpool with George Gillett and Tom Hicks and it’s the same at Newcastle.”

“People will say as supporters you’ve got to come back, you’ve got to get behind your team. But what are the owners doing for supporters?”

“Since Mike Ashley’s been here they’ve been relegated once, they could be relegated once again, and I’m sure under Alan Pardew they come close once before.”

“So he’s balanced the books – he’s made money because he’s a businessman – but I think of these people and wonder: ‘don’t you want to be excited yourself?’”

“I’m getting bored by Newcastle, but when you watched them over the years there was madness, there was excitement, stupid goals going in one end and then the other, but it was exciting.”

“Now it’s boring. Why does Mike Ashley want the club if there’s nothing happening? There’s no cup run, I just don’t get it. I don’t get why he wants to own a football club.”

Liverpool were a bargain when John W Henry (New England Sports Venture) bought the club for about £300M in October, 2010.

Newcastle would probably cost about £270M if Mike Ashley were to sell,  but Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner has had Villa up for sale for almost a year with no success yet.

If Newcastle are relegated the value of the club would plummet – so it would be better to stay in the Premier League if we want Mike Ashley to sell.

But we just cannot see him doing that with so much money to be made is the Premier League in the years ahead.

And we know that Ashley likes money.

• Average_Contents

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:54 AM

Give it a rest ed. FFS! Can’t have a conversation!

Repost.

OP/TUFF

Is it possible you were talking to each other.

Firebug.

Didn’t really do much mate. Just posted a few links to pics. The hard work was put in by that silly tit on a rock. And BandB of course.

MrMojo

Excellent effort mate. I don’t use twatter so I’ll have to wait for that tit on a rock to link them on here….not long now….

I watched the Carragher/streak of piss/oddball summarisation after the game and found it refreshing. I posted the link a couple of hours after the match finished because it summed it up pretty well.

It’s only taken them 4-5 years to figure out what most of us knew but better late than never I suppose. Perhaps they’ve only spoken up because now the fans have unified at last.

Hwtf

• optimistic prime

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:54 AM

Tuff

I think I saw you mate, I had the green flowery shorts on with a Adidas rucksack on me back.

Wasn’t much direction as you say I was there for 5 mins before I realised the lad with the car parked across the drive had all the flyers. I just grabbed a stack and went on a mission.

If I’d known you wa there by yourself I would have met up with you matey

Lg

Good effort mate, I took as many vids and pics as I could and passed them onto Ibiza, there’s a few on Instagram #HWTFNUFC

HWTF

• optimistic prime

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:55 AM

I hope no one thinks I’m a judas for getting my pic took with Ashley 🙁

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:56 AM

Ed,
    That was the published attendance taking into account the already sold ST. You read NUFC com so would have known that. Why are you so insistent on bringing this thing down.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:57 AM

OP,
    As I said, my phone got nicked and I don’t own a camera so couldn’t take photos, but I will wear it for the Swansea game and will have a new phone by then, so will get them taken then!

• firebug666

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:57 AM

Jamie, Jamie, Jamie; He bought the club to advertise his tat shop, he has no interest in football, that is just the means of getting his tat shop shown around the world.

• MrMojoRisin76

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:59 AM

AC
    Cheers bud,it was a pleasure to represent the blog.Getting a new phone soon so hopefully i’ll have Instagram next time.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:00 AM

Jail,
    I don’t know if you have seen, but apparently the 47427 was also the figure that was handed to the police, according to a statement made by AO.com.

Personally, I can’t believe that, given the number of pockets of empty seats around the ground. Surely there is some legal requirement for the club to give accurate figures to the police, and if they haven’t then there should be cause for an inquiry.

• spitfire_

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:00 AM

This is the huge success of #BoycottSpurs… make the others to talk about it, to see ashley in his true colors and most important, finally to understand how the fans feel after 8 years of abomination and discontent.

• optimistic prime

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:00 AM

What was the feeling like on the blog yesterday?

I was going to catch up but there’s around a 1000 posts, bit hard to seperate the wheat from the chaff 😉

• hibbit

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:02 AM

well done lads and lasses if your proud to be a geordie clap your hand’s ….clap…clap…clap….all honorary geordies love you all …..we went to the park as we had kids with us lots of families maybe 700 to 800 hundred there like a party ……….jail agree with most things you say but if people choose to go in that’s up to them our job is to bring them on board not fall out with them it took me a long time to come round after having a ST for 35 years but i did we need them on our side not fighting us ASHLEY OUT…….. going to watch the game now,,,,, ac it does not matter how long it takes to come round as long as they do

• Average_Contents

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:02 AM

Jfa

Wondered that myself. Everyone knows even if ST holders don’t turn up they still get counted as attendees.

Unofficial reports from people at the game are coming in at between 30-40k so why not put THAT out there instead of the club drivel. Your devaluing the impact ed.

Never really been critical of you before apart from the quickness of the threads in the morning.

• optimistic prime

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:03 AM

There was no where near 47,000 in the ground, after 30mins there was 35,000 max (I had a sneak peak) and even less at half time because I was across the road watching them leave!

• roberts left boot

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:05 AM

Don’t know how much truth is in this rumour but the company I work for has quite a lot of dealings in the UAE. The rumour is Ashley has sold up or is selling at the end of the season to a consortium based over there. Again I don’t know how much truth is in it but that’s the rumour coming from that part of the world.

• hibbit

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:06 AM

ED sorry but your way out of touch with what’s going on the city

• Average_Contents

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:09 AM

I meant to say why not put THAT out there aswell instead of the clubs smudged figures.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:10 AM

Ed,
    If the figure really was 47,00 or so, then how come we lost? You had been saying that it would be fans who would have to share the blame if there was a significant boycott and we lost. Will you now accept, something that has been obvious all season, that it doesn’t matter how many fans turn up, the team is still gutless, spiritless, and devoid of pride. Not to mention having 3 bibs and cones men in charge of tactics and selection.

• hibbit

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:14 AM

ed don’t bite the hand that feeds you

• jayphoto

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:15 AM

See Carver is saying hes changing the style to get results and it won’t be pretty…. Be gutted to not see the free flowing tiki taka he’s had us playing up to now……
    Theres no coaching happening. The defense was back to normal almost yesterdy as was the midfield in their actual positions! There was no pressing. No shape. No movement. All coaches department.
    Also Abeid was one of our better players, why take him off at ht?
    And Obertan shouldn’t be anywhere near our side!
    And why start gouffran over and over again hes clearly nor good enough and doesn’t even run around much anymore!
    Rest of Games are all winnable. Can see us picking up 2 wins! West Brom and West ham maybe and a draw against swansea but the whole coaching side needs an overhaul.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:16 AM

OP…The blog had lots of spirit yesterday. It got a little beaten as the numbers seemed to increase inside the stadium, but nothing too ridiculous.

All in all, a good day had by all, well, apart from those who watched the game it seems.

Do you fancy helping me trawl those 1,000 odd posts? I have homework to do 🙂

• beermonkey

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:17 AM

thought som1 posted last night the attendance was around 37k
    even on match of the day they alluded to fact they had never seen it so empty

• hibbit

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:17 AM

jay can not see us getting two points never mind seven

• Ibizatoon

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:22 AM

beermonkey…Graeme came on and said he heard from someone who he trusts that figures were around 31k I think. Tied in well with some other guesstimations, there were however one or two that insisted it was nearer the 40k mark. I think they thought that extra 10k helped it look like a failure 🙂

On Ed, let’s not forget, that without him, warts and all, we all wouldn’t be here right now, having these discussions.

I’d love an opinion, even some fairer reporting on what is happening at the moment. Over time, if we all continute to do our bit, he’ll have no choice but to catch up.

• jayphoto

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:24 AM

@hibbit – think we’ll fluke a win or 2 when Cisse is back! West ham are worse if possible and only have Carlton Cole for remainder.
    Dread to think what JC is planning on the football side if its going to be less attractive than what hes played up till now..

• Rotonda heights

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:25 AM

Try not to gloat too much Ed, even carver isn’t blaming the boycott, when he’s blamed everybody and everything but himself. Sound familiar?.

• Average_Contents

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:25 AM

Not a bad read tbh

It was a nice day to sit outside a football stadium. The sun was out and the breeze was light. Newcastle fans didn’t care what the weather was like, however, they would have protested in rain and hail if only to be heard.

Their intention was to highlight a plight that has been raging for some time and,“Show the world that we want a club to be proud of once again.” As you entered the city, you were met with a tepid atmosphere in the pubs, as fans handed out leaflets denoting ‘ashleyout.com’.

‘A display of unity’ was what protesters sought. In truth it highlighted a fan-base that while sharing the same opinion is divided on how best to reach the desired outcome. Prior to kick off, St James’ Park looked sparsely populated but not empty. As the team was read out, not even an audible cheer could be mustered.

With kick-off approaching, the stadium began to somewhat resemble its usual match-day aesthetic, but the pockets of grey seats were noticeable as the game kicked off. This stadium has been referred to as a cauldron of noise in years gone by, today it looked more like a crock pot of apathy.
    Newcastle
    ‘Balance sheet champions’. Credit: PA
    For those who did arrive they made little noise. The second reading of the starting XI garnered no response as did the best attempts of the announcer to gee up an atmosphere. The game resembled a pre-season friendly, and it was how both teams seemed to start as they felt each other out.

The Tottenham fans had travelled in good numbers and could be heard early on. They reminded the world Harry Kane is one of their own as the first ten minutes saw en eerie silence fall over the home support.

By the twelfth minute Spurs fans began the ironic shushing, sympathy in short supply amongst those that had made the three hour journey north. That, coupled with a decent half chance for Ayoze Perez appeared to rile some Newcastle fans enough to sing.

On the pitch Remy Cabella seemed the only creative outlet for the Magpies. Serving as a crumb of comfort on a day when they will have reminisced about happier teams, they at least had someone Kevin Keegan would call an entertainer. However the demands of those at St James’ Park are much less than a return to that era and league challenges.
    Newcastle
    A far from full crowd. Credit: PA
    They simply wish to see a purpose and the return of sporting integrity. For all talk of Spurs own season fizzling out, Newcastle’s never really began as they strived for a place in the top half by Christmas and little else. As Nacer Chadli crashed in the opening goal from distance, a collective sigh released itself – here we go again. The brief reprieve of an equaliser from Jack Colback was eradicated by Christian Eriksen’s free-kick before ‘one of their own’ added a third in injury-time.

As the full-time whistle sounded for those hardy souls remaining, surrounded by empty seats, there were boos – the performance once again unacceptable.

The threat of relegation is within sight for Newcastle now, something Carver admitted himself afterwards. The Newcastle boss has spoken of a legacy at the football club and at present it stands to be one filled with protests, defeats and derby embarrassment. Relegation would be the bitterest blows to a man like Carver.
    Carver
    The threat of relegation is within sight for Newcastle now. Credit: PA
    “This job’s never easy,” a visibly frustrated Carver said afterwards, a statement that will have resonated with any manager looking to be his successor.

While Carver spoke of his anger and eagenress to turn things round, it is hard to see anything other than apathy now oozing from Newcastle. Whether those who stayed away will maintain this approach is unclear. The attendance – 47,427 – is the lowest of the season and includes season ticket holders.

A dent into the pocket of Mike Ashley, it is a chip rather than a chasm. Even the summer will do little to diminish the fears of yet more irrelevance, Newcastle are a club knowingly sleepwalking, despite fans efforts to wake them up.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:25 AM

How ridiculous is this, not offensive in anyway, but the club made the poor kid change his sign, taking the word ‘loathe’ out.

• Rotonda heights

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:28 AM

Lilo at 16

SUPERB

• beermonkey

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:35 AM

Ibiza

I think it was far from a failure it was noticeable on match of the day enough that they did there little bit at the start

ever1s entitled to there opinion but ultimately we all want the same
    though its sad some1 reported couples arguing over going or not
    hats off to the bloke that left his misses in the put to go I don’t think I would be so brave, to go and watch that live then back to his misses I bet she made his life hell

• Moonraker15

Apr 20, 2015 at 2:36 PM

It doesn’t matter now how many fans in the ground and if Ed suggests we’re to blame for not showing up I suggest he checks the gate for previous games at SJP which we have lost! Then he should realise why we are protesting.

We knew the team could be vulnerable if they didn’t strengthen in January.

What I would like to know is, who advised Ashley to sell Santon and Mapou and not buy a striker cos he didn’t work that out for himself, it had to be Charnley and Carver.

He will sack them I think cos they’ve created this mess from nothing this season. Pardew must have known what was going on so he jumped.

• OneAlanShearer

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:20 PM

That 47,00 figure may be tickets sold including season ticket holders but I can’t believe thats the attendance. Looked more like 35000