Newcastle Now In A Relegation Fight – It’s Official

With six defeats in a row and only 9 points from the last 42 points played for (14 games), struggling interim head coach John Carver has admitted Newcastle are now in a relegation fight.

john  carver last night

John Carver – we’re in relegation fight

And if our performance at home yesterday in the 3-1 defeat against Tottenham was anything to go by,  this team may not be good enough to get a win in the last five games, and we’ll be left hoping the teams below us don’t put win streaks together – like Leicester are doing at the moment with three wins in a row.

This is what John Carver has said when asked if the club is now in a relegation fight:

“Absolutely we’re in amongst it.” “You have got sides – and I’ll use Leicester as an example – who are winning games.” “We aren’t, but we have got to find a way of trying to find some points and put some points on the board.”

“I’m disappointed, I’m angry – I’ve got all the different emotions going through my head,”  “But the bottom line is it’s another defeat and that’s not good enough.”

“You could see the nerves and the tension amongst everybody on the pitch – well, certainly in black and white – and it showed in that first-half performance.”

“There was a lot of huff and puff, and that’s about it.”  “But we conceded a really poor goal again – a poor give-away – and before you know it, it’s in the back of your net, so you’re fighting an uphill battle.”

“We had a chat at half-time. I went quite positive – I thought I’d bring two guys on that would get us up the pitch with a bit of pace and a bit of drive – and we got off to a good start, scored a decent goal.”

“But it seemed to awaken Spurs and all of a sudden, the game changed again.”  “We conceded a free-kick and conceded another stupid goal from a lateral free-kick, which seems to be our Achilles heel at the moment.”

“I think there’s enough experience to deal with it, yes,” “We have got to stop losing players, though, sendings-off and injury.”

It almost looks like the perfect storm is forming against Newcastle.

We refused to strengthen the side in January and even let a couple of good players leave the club which further weakened and already depleted squad.

Then we had more injuries and top players were suspended, and the inexperienced head coach we put in place to replace the departed Alan Pardew seem to be out of his depth.

If Newcastle do get relegated it will be  study of everything not to do when you are 9th in the league at the half way mark and running a Premier League football club.

Too many chances were taken and Newcastle were left to get by for the rest of the season with a much depleted squad and an unproven head coach.

It would be an unmitigated disaster for Newcastle United if we are relegated, but every successive defeat makes it that much more likely.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:03 AM

I spoke to somebody outside of the ground yesterday who said anybody who went inside gave up their right to complain.

• Average_Contents

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:04 AM

Well done OP. Cracking effort mate.

MrMojo

I think they changed the location of the agreed meet-up while the match was on. Like OP said it was a bit silly, last minute and all that.

Martoon

Krul? Definitely should of saved that first one. Took him an eternity to get down and the shot wasn’t really swirling around, pretty straight from the replys I’ve seen.

The second one I’ve got a little sympathy with as it was played into no man’s land inbetween GK and attackers. What a delivery.

Still, once nobody got a touch he should of saved it imo. Too busy worrying about that touch. Our defence shouldn’t of allowed their attackers that much freedom especially after managing to draw level. Shambolic all round.

• optimistic prime

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:05 AM

Check the picture on this link, that what it looked like in the ground all over.
    I’m quite knarked with myself for not taking photos inside, just ran in and ran out.

• Average_Contents

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:06 AM

Jfa

A couple of posters on here mentioned Ian wright on some show said as much aswell.

• Average_Contents

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:08 AM

While your on OP – did the protest continue after the match? Did people leaving the ground join in?

• firebug666

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:08 AM

OP

I followed your journey yesterday, all the pictures and comments worked fine. You have gone a long way to restoring some pride back into the fans.

Very proud of you and your efforts.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:12 AM

jail – on the way back from Leazes Terrace I bumped into some folk and one of them said he’d just been speaking to you outside the Gallowgate. We were told there was nothing one at the Park so decided to go to the Strawberry for a pint. The lad who knew you introduced himself but I cannot remember his name. Think he had something to do with MAOC. He was about 40, dark brown hair with a full set beard- wearing an older Toon top – his missus was with him -she had blonde hair. Said he used to be on the blog and always had run ins with Bills.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:13 AM

Sunderland – 6 fixtures left, 6 behind. Previous 6 games got just 4 points. Final 2 games of the season, Arsenal and Chelsea, also have to play Stoke, Southampton Everton and Leicester.

Hull – 6 fixtures left, 7 behind. Previous 6 games got them just 2 points. They have Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal and Man U to play. All those teams still have something to play for. They also play Palace, and a key fixture against Burnley.

Leicester – 6 fixtures left, 7 behind. Previous 6 games got them 10 points. They have crucial fixtures against Burnley, QPR and Sunderland. As well as Chelsea, Southampton and ourselves.

QPR – 5 fixtures left, 9 behind. Previous 5 games got them 4 points. They have Liverpool, City, Wet Ham and ourselves to play along with the crucial game against Leicester.

Burnley – 5 fixtures left, 9 behind. Previous 5 games got them 4 points. They have the easiest run in, Villa, Stoke, West Ham. Plus big matches against Leicester and Hull.

There is very little chance that all 3 of the 5 can turn their season and form around to such an extent that they overtake Newcastle in what is left. Not to mention that they can’t all win all of their games as there are a number of fixtures between these sides as well.

Burnley and QPR would require to 3 wins and 1 draw to overtake us if we lost all our remaining games. Burnley could get those, but it would have to be at the expense of Leicester and Hull. QPR are down I reckon. Hull have a awful run in, and Sunderland end up with 2 difficult fixtures.

I think we will be safe, but more because the teams below are very poor as well. This is probably the poorest Premier league in a long time – Ashley will have got lucky again.

• optimistic prime

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:14 AM

Ac

It continued after the match, I’d say a few more than was outside before match but not a load more.

Loads who left the match early must have just went home.

Just watching sky news well said Jamie Carragher.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:15 AM

Morning blog,

It isn’t often we get to wake up after a loss and still get to feel like we’ve won.

Something has been strirred. Wake up toon fans, another chance to take a stand is coming. Feel good about yourself, feel good about your club, feel you’re doing something.

Don’t let some t*t who lives on a rock in the med tell you what you should or shouldn’t do, have a word with yourself. Are you happy, can you relate to what this club stands for – what is it we’re waiting for?

Don’t worry. This post isn’t on repeat today 🙂

OP…Don’t you dare be narked at yourself. Not for a single sec. You beautiful b*st*rd!

Mojo…Some great pics, thank you. Will work on some things today. Also, thank you again for responding to the call for extra help.

• firebug666

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:16 AM

Average

You also deserve credit for the work done yesterday, whilst I was able to wander off for a break, you and Ibiza both stuck at it all day, pumping the fans up none stop, and making sure their pictures were shared.

It was a great effort and worthy of respect, without that work by you the protest would have been just media coverage.

HWTF

• optimistic prime

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:16 AM

What does Carver mean when he says

I’m not walking away, no one else will do the job.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:16 AM

Tuff…No lie in this morning mate?

• MrMojoRisin76

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:18 AM

OP/AC
    Bit of a silly thing to do.I couldn’t check the blog to see what was happening,my mobile internet is w@nk.Glad i went though,i have emailed Ibiza my pics and put them on my Twitter account if you want to have a look.I think a t-shirt campaign would be effective,plain white with Jabba Out on it.We could buy our own,it won’t cost much for a cheap white t-shirt and some printing.If Jabba Out.com got a sh1tload printed and handed them to the fans going to the match then at least the fans who go can send a clear message if they don’t want to vocally protest.It might also go some way to heal the rift between the fans so we can see the people go to the match are actually doing something.

• MrMojoRisin76

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:18 AM

Don’t click that link,don’t know how it got there.

• optimistic prime

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:18 AM

Ibiza

If you go back a thread I’ve said what went on yesterday around the ground.
    I’m sure as I sober up I’ll remember other stuff to 😉

• optimistic prime

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:21 AM

Mojo

The tshirt idea is great, a few have mentioned it.

Tuff

I was talking to that lad, I was stood in same place.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:24 AM

Jail,
    I disagree with that. From the pictures I saw on TV there were a number of Anti Ashley messages around the ground. Some Anti Ashley chants as well by all accounts. There should be no distinction between them and us within the fan base, and turning on other fans – some of the abuse I’ve seen on other forums of those who went has been scandalous – is not helpful.

We will need fans both in and out of the ground to really push this movement forward, so now is not the time for vilifying people who went. Or on the other side, for vilifying those who didn’t

• sing in the corner

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:25 AM

Carver looks, sounds and is a dead man walking. Like many of the supporters trooping out of the ground.
    That carragher and co interview on Sky is the main thing that will have irked Ashley.
    This campaign is crying out from some proper toon people to speak. It doesn’t have to be a Churchillian speech. Terry Mac, Keegan,,, Just a comment or two. Why do we have to rely on a Carragher and donkey mackem to show PITY? Come on Mister Shearer.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:27 AM

I had my phone nicked on Saturday, and don’t own a camera, so no chance of posting photos! Great effort by the rest of you lads though!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:30 AM

OP,
    I made my own T shirt which I wore to my own football match yesterday, and in a couple of bars after our game. It had a bit of spiel on the back, so people kept coming up to me and asking me to stand still. I had the A).com logo on the front and back as well. (I asked permission before copying it).

Drew quite a bit of interest and actually sparked some decent conversation with people on the topic, who otherwise would just take the pass out of how bad we are!

• Ibizatoon

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:32 AM

Mojo…Ha ha, not sure many on here will be clicking that “link” anyway 🙂

OP…I hope you had one for me..maybe two.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:33 AM

Mister Tuff,
    That was Solano you were speaking to we must have just missed each other.
    Lilongwe,
    Did the ones inside make themselves heard though.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:33 AM

SITC,
    I’d like Keegan to step up and comment and somehow involve himself. How great would it be if someone like him turned up at a protest or two. I’d prefer him over Shearer as Keegan speaks with more passion and will evoke greater emotions in those who listen.

We need people like Keegan to be involved and to help find a buyer. They will have opportunities to open doors that most of the ordinary fans can only dream of.

• Average_Contents

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:33 AM

OP/TUFF

Is it possible you were talking to each other.

Firebug.

Didn’t really do much mate. Just posted a few links to pics. The hard work was put in by that silly tit on a rock. And BandB of course.

MrMojo

Excellent effort mate. I don’t use twatter so I’ll have to wait for that tit on a rock to link them on here….not long now….

• Mister Tuff

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:34 AM

op – I was sitting outside the Loco from about 1.10pm but had to wait a bit for the leaflets to turn up was wearing a olive green Barbour jacket. When I got to Leazes Terrace I bumped into a lad and lass who had been sitting outside the Loco earlier who said there was nobody at the park so we turned around and bumped into the lad with the beard. There was another lass with them – plumper with blonde hair. The same lass was handing out leaflets where I was at the corner of Srawberry Place and Leazes Park Road later on (from about 3.10 -3.15) -think she been doing the pubs with leaflets earlier on.

• MrMojoRisin76

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:36 AM

Mister Tuff
    I was in the Strawberry watching the match.On the TV to the left of the entrance to upstairs,burgundy jacket,bald,bit of a dave lee travis beard.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:36 AM

The best thing this morning for me, after the event, the majority on here are still talking about what we can do next.

Its not petty bickering, it’s not the mood of a camp who have given up.

It was a step and a bloody good one by all. Some out there don’t even know they’ve taken that step, but they have.

Knowledge is power. United we stand.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:37 AM

Jail,
    I don’t know first hand, I’ve seen a few people commenting saying there was a reasonable amount of pro team and anti Ashley chants. The sound wasn’t on in the bar I was at for the first half as they had the Cup semi final on.

Even so, now isn’t the time for splitting up the fans. Rather than saying they lose any right, or just serving abuse (not you, others I have seen) it would be better to have more constructive dialogue between the two sets.

I’m sure many that went are sick of Ashley, but don’t feel a boycott is the way forward. We should be owning dialogue so that we can work out forms of protest that they would involve themselves in. WE will never get 100% involvement, but we can work towards including as many fans with ideas moving forward.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:39 AM

*opening, not owning.

• Laurent Robert 32

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:39 AM

I’ll post up a few pics of the protest at full-time in a bit.

• GEORDIE69

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:40 AM

Alreet people, as we are all negative and rightly so, can anybody find a Newcastle United Premier League team (apart from our current team) poorer than this lot?

GK Hooper

SUB Orbetan
    SUB Karelse
    SUB Capaca
    SUB Bramble

• firebug666

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:40 AM

I’m thinking that another #boycottswansea would be great, but still feel we have to fins a way to get at Ashley and the sports defect shareholders in an attempt to sever the link with our club.

If that link is severed Ashley will be off as there will be nothing left for him.

• Average_Contents

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:41 AM

I watched the Carragher/streak of piss/oddball summarisation after the game and found it refreshing. I posted the link a couple of hours after the match finished because it summed it up pretty well.

It’s only taken them 4-5 years to figure out what most of us knew but better late than never I suppose. Perhaps they’ve only spoken up because now the fans have unified at last.

Hwtf

• Mister Tuff

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:44 AM

ac / mojo – only downside for me was that I didn’t know anybody else that was there. I’d approached a few on arrival and asked what was happening but there wasn’t much direction. But it was a first so should be better next time.

• MrMojoRisin76

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:51 AM

Mr Tuff
    Same here,spent the afternoon by myself pretty much talking to people here and there.I went up to a guy in the corner of Bar Loco’s garden and asked him if goes on the blog,thought it was OP from the pic he posted Saturday night,tallish bloke with long hair but it wasn’t him.

• optimistic prime

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:53 AM

Tuff

I think I saw you mate, I had the green flowery shorts on with a Adidas rucksack on me back.

Wasn’t much direction as you say I was there for 5 mins before I realised the lad with the car parked across the drive had all the flyers. I just grabbed a stack and went on a mission.

If I’d known you wa there by yourself I would have met up with you matey

Lg

Good effort mate, I took as many vids and pics as I could and passed them onto Ibiza, there’s a few on Instagram #HWTFNUFC

• hibbit

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:57 AM

well done lads and lasses if your proud to be a geordie clap your hand’s ….clap…clap…clap….all honorary geordies love you all …..we went to the park as we had kids with us lots of families maybe 700 to 800 hundred there like a party ……….jail agree with most things you say but if people choose to go in that’s up to them our job is to bring them on board not fall out with them it took me a long time to come round after having a ST for 35 years but i did we need them on our side not fighting us ASHLEY OUT…….. going to watch the game now