Newcastle After French Goalscoring Winger

Newcastle are being linked with Wolverhampton Wanderers winger Bakary Sako, whose contract at Molineux runs out at the end of the season, and he will become a free agent at the end of June.

bakary sako

26 year-old Bakary Sako – free agent in summer

The 14 times capped Mali International is in big demand with Aston Villa, West Brom, Sunderland and Stoke City said to be the other Premier League clubs interested in signing him.

Wolves are still hoping they can sign the 26 year-old to sign an extended contract to stay at the club, but they will need to win promotion to the Premier League via the play-offs if the Championship club are to hold onto their star winger.

Wolves are currently in 8th place in the Championship and 3 points out of a play-off place.

Sako stands six foot tall and joined Wolves in the summer of 2012 from St. Etienne in France, after he had played 10 times for the France U21 side, and Newcastle were reportedly interested in singing Sako in the summer of 2013.

Paris-born Sako is a goal-scoring winger and has scored 14 goals in 39 total appearances for Wolves this season, and in total he has appeared 122 times for Wolves with 37 goals and 33 assists over almost three seasons.

What do you think?

• Online Guy

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:47 AM

ED please answer this question

Are you for or against the Ashley out campaign ?

• Laurent Robert 32

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:48 AM

At the moment, I liken the current state of fan dismay to a film scene where the character needs rescuing from behind a sound proof window and the screams cannot be heard at all, no matter what they try to do in order to communicate with the people passing by. Or in Honey I Shrunk the Kids where they’re so small they’re are shouting up to Rick Moranis, but to no avail. They are too small, too irrelevant.

We have screamed enough to try and have some attempt at ambition. On the other side of the glass, or at normal size, is just silence though.

Is wanting a competent manager and coaching staff whilst attempting to support their development through purchasing a good crop of value players too much to ask? He’s just received £3.5million compensation for Pinocchio (which is a miracle in itself). That could be re-invested in Klopp, who likes to develop younger players and probably fits the ‘Arsenal model’ which Ashley mislead us with initially. He won’t, because it will affect his main goal of accumulating money regardless of the consequences to entertainment.

Is wanting investment with money which has been recouped from the sale of players and TV etc. Too much to ask? No, it should be standard to an interested owner. Replace and strengthen. He hasn’t. Not only that, we given Hatem away, farmed M’Biwa out, Marveaux, Santon, and the Rangers lads when we were already short of players anyway. That is unacceptable and is sheer stupidity, highlighting again that a balance sheet takes priority over the best interests of the squad. Unacceptable.

At ANY other club, Pinocchio would have been sacked on multiple occasions, yet, the owner’s interest in keeping us in the league (in order to market S.D.) is his only priority, therefore snake tongue was kept on. Unacceptable, the club was not the priority in that instance.

For me, the welfare of the club and it’s development should be the main priority for any owner, regardless of their own spending power. That means providing the maximum resources at its disposal to do the best job it can. We are nowhere near that state of mind; we can’t be when the factors I’ve just written have not been addressed, not to mention the transfer windows without incomings and all the other rubbish we’ve put up with.

I don’t care for the official line of responses to fans’ questions which the club responds to either, because it is structured in such a way to pacify the audience and suit their own agenda whilst trying to do the least harm to themselves. Bishop isn’t a good PR guy, he is simply a commercial liar of the highest order, and Ashley has employed his services to generate the most believable lies and distractions.

Actions speak louder than words, and what a state we are in. I have no other choice than to join the other boycotters and hopefully make our feelings known.

I’ll be boycotting the next game too, and I won’t just sit in the house, I’ll go to the game as normal, but stand outside in protest.

Had to get that off my chest.

• soundoid

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:03 AM

Not read the blog for months, not watched a game for months not even on MOTD. The Boycott campaign has given me some hope…. just a little. Keep it up lads.

• Toon-Prodigy

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:22 AM

Why are people calling Ed out?

He has wrote hundreds of articles with mentioning Mike Ashley’s lack of ambition and how things need to change.

People should remember this blog is not the be all end all of all support of NUFC. It’s merely a tiny fraction of supporters who wish to blog about the club.

People should also remember there is still 30,000-40,000 supporters still going into the stadium who obviously are not yet at the seething nature of this blog and are unwilling to leave the stadium as yet. Who is to say they don’t come on here and read the blog? If I was at where those supporters were feeling I wouldn’t like to see mass protest. Im the other way and love all this protesting against Ashley but that dosn’t mean to say everyone does.

Ed has made his point quite clear about how he feels 100s of times. Being the blog owner he is quite right to keep the whole thing balanced in which way he see’s fit.

I think it’s respectful to keep it balanced with the current situation with the split amongst fans.

Hopefully, more fans will switch on as the year goes on and join in with the protests and wrap their season tickets in.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:37 AM

Dispatches -8pm Monday 27th April – Channel 4.
    The Secrets of Sports Direct

About this programme

Dispatches goes undercover to investigate the secrets of the sports retailer’s success. Reporter Harry Wallop explores the hidden cost of the clothes, shoes and discount gear that have helped Sports Direct buck the trend on the high street, making billions for its elusive owner Mike Ashley, one of Britain’s richest men.

• lesh

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:37 AM

Laurent

Here’s a repost which suggests we may be on the thinking the same way.

Repost

If Carver is appointed as HC, the decision having been made despite his lack of experience and demonstrated lack of ability before the end of the season, I wonder whether the poor sods who’ve renewed their STs, have any grounds for legal action against the club?

On what grounds?

Mmmm, maybe selling a product in Bad Faith* might just help set the scene.

* The fraudulent deception of another person; the intentional or malicious refusal to perform some duty or contractual obligation.

Bad faith is not the same as prior judgment or Negligence. One can make an honest mistake about one’s own rights and duties, but when the rights of someone else are intentionally or maliciously infringed upon, such conduct demonstrates bad faith.

Any legal specialists in the fraternity out their?

• Toon-Prodigy

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:44 AM

Tuff,

I think there has been a programme like this before about Mike Ashley’s Sports Direct.

I’ll be tuning in.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:57 AM

The ST only allows you entry into the ground and to allow you to occupy a seat. There is nothing in the ticketing conditions or anywhere else I suspect to suggest you are going to be watching top class football served up by a top class coach.
    Non starter I would think.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:01 AM

Toon – BBC’s programme Inside Out did a SD programme a good few years ago now outlining all the dodgy practices -they also went undercover in his far eastern sweat shops.
    About time somebody did another programme which I’m sure will show he has learnt lessons (NOT).

• Magpie Season

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:10 AM

I doubt Ashley will hire a non-British manager. Which goes to say, it looks like Klopp is favourite to take the Liverpool job, over Manchester City, as they exited semi-finals.

Anyone fancy Rodgers here?

• Toon-Prodigy

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:16 AM

Tuff,

Perfect timing to show the bloke up for his actions and treatment of people. I could imagine him to be a little bit mad about all this negative publicity at the minute all coming home to roost at once.

Magpie,

I’d piggy back Rodgers here! Not that he could do much with this current playing squad like, but it would be a start.

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:48 AM

Don’t know if this has been mentioned, but Guillam Balague has said that he thinks Benitez will certainly leave at the end of the season and the two jobs that would interest him are man city and Newcastle.

Not sure if that’s pure speculation or him knowing something or Someone but an interesting link all the same.

• ilovetoon8788

Apr 21, 2015 at 3:02 AM

I really believe that fool JC has been appointed as head coach next season. And that has caused the breakdown with him and Jonas who was against that.

• Magpie Season

Apr 21, 2015 at 3:07 AM

Geremi:

All these players, managers we are linked with is just horse manure. It’s for us supporters not to get agitated & anxious about next season, so that people will again renew their season tickets in vast numbers.

I never understood why people would rip up their season tickets, sure it’s a symbol of protest but what good does it do if you have already paid for it. Boycotting would do the same. The owner does not care about symbols other than the $.

Besides, a contract does not take that long to sign actually. Especially if there is no compensation involved. Which makes me think Benitez will stay in Naples.

Allardyce is also out of contract. I’m suprised we’re not linked with him…after Ashley gave linguist & BFF of Sir Alex another chance.

• Magpie Season

Apr 21, 2015 at 3:09 AM

JK:

“I heard a silly comment of ‘what can I attract?’ I can open the door to any manager in the world, anyone, that’s the difference,” said Kinnear. “I’ve spent my whole life talking to [Sir] Alex Ferguson, week in, week out. I can pick the phone up at any time of the day and speak to Arsène Wenger, any manager in the league. In all the divisions.”

Still cracks me up, albeit with a few tears.

• Toon-Prodigy

Apr 21, 2015 at 3:13 AM

Ilovetoon,

I doubt that it was about Carver being manager next season, that shouldn’t bother Jonas in the slightest, he is a pro. The more likely situation, the way I see it, is that Carver has dropped Jonas over his contract situation from the starting line up and Jonas has lost his temper because he is fighting for an extention and a new contract.

Something to do with “starting” so many games which then activates an extention.

Jonas did deserve to start against Liverpool and Spurs for me, he has acted up and been dropped alltogether.

Like Jonas has said, it’s politics. Im nearly certain it’s to do with his contract extention like

• Reyantoon

Apr 21, 2015 at 3:43 AM

I don’t know where to start but
    I hate what is happening to our result on the pitch.It is very frustrating and depressing.But I expected that to happen as soon as JC was appointed.I expected we gonna slide down.And that is exactly what happened.I said many times that Lee should have convinced AP to stay till end of season.Then Let him leave in summer.
    Lee made biggest mistake & is at fault.AP is not that inept and clueless as most think.He is way better than John and other British mgrs.If they don’t had a plan ready to replace him,why did they allow him to leave in the middle of a season?
    (Lee are u watching what is happening?)

I am positive significant change will occur in the coming summer,on the mgrs front as well as recruiting players.We have to remember that we are not a top 4 club.We are not the worst,but we are a good club inside top 8,capable of challenging top 5 or 6 every season with the right head coach.So things has to go step by step,according to how seasons & the market change.However we have to win at least a game to survive at this moment.we have to get a win somewhere. That is a must,particularly the next Swansea game.I felt positive we gonna rally back and win the spurs game when we equalized but still we conceded couple of poor and frustrating goals.I don’t know whether krul was at fault(krul is amateur sh••t at times) or the way we defended,whatever it is, they should forget that and concentrate to win the next game.I don’t care where we finish as long as we are safe but they have to win agt Swansea.
    I don’t want to see my two eyes open and watch us relegated again!
    That is too painful to watch!!!!!
    I rest my case..

• mecannylad

Apr 21, 2015 at 4:53 AM

If I were such a reclusive, successful businessman like Mike Ashley one thing that would rattle &irritate me more than most others would be having my privacy compromised by prying paparazzi.
    Why on earth is this not happening?…… surely he is not the invisible man.
    Come on Ashleyout be a little more personal, inventive and adventurous with your tactics.

• scout

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:51 AM

Morning campers

MORE OF THE SAME PLEASE

• Reyantoon

Apr 21, 2015 at 6:10 AM

Don’t know Freddy Shepherd much but I think he got it spot on there!!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 21, 2015 at 6:15 AM

Speaking of Campers, just bought new shoes 😉

• hibbit

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:05 AM

just so fans around the world know the facts about the boycott there was no bother with fans either before or after the game a lot of banter with fans going in and a lot of support from fans coming out a lot had changed there tune coming out…… i believe a lot would join if we have another boycott these are the fans we need to win over …… bishops team will step up a gear now to try to keep hold of these fans and i believe thousands of free tickets will be mad available …..its not a fallout with carver they don.’t want to give jonas another contract

• firebug666

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:15 AM

For all those wondering about Jonas, I posted on here yesterday that he had a bust up with carver, but apparently it was not just him. Carver told the player they were not allowed to talk about it, and anyone who did would be dealt with.

Jonas then tweeted:

jonas gutierrez @elgalgojonas · Apr 17
    Tired about some things i Am a geordie and newcastle deserved more. Cansado de algunas cosas, soy un geordie. Y newcastle se merece mas.

jonas gutierrez @elgalgojonas · Apr 16
    To be honest newcastle deserved more. Para ser honesto newcastle se merece mas.

I would think this is why he has been dropped.

• lochinvar

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:16 AM

Carver talks about the need for British players and changing room spirit. So on what planet are young French players with a different perspective on life going to relate to Carvers Flintstone approach to coaching and man management.

Jonas needs to talk to the press – if he’s already out then he has nothing to loose , in fact he can only gain respect for telling the truth to the world.
    If Carver is in place next season then we are cancelling 2 season tickets.

I went into A Sports Direct store recently ( to have a look ) and a gruesome supervisor had a shouting match with a colleague on a different floor via their mike and head sets immediately in front of a customer. It made the Jeremy Kyle show look classy.

Newcastle United should be a dynamic , inspirational , successful world class football club with a brand heritage and appeal than spans the globe.

Ashley is clearly nouveau rich with zero class. Tacky.

• one fine day

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:18 AM

LR 32
    totally with your thoughts on that.
    lesh @6

repost
    On what grounds?

Mmmm, maybe selling a product in Bad Faith* might just help set the scene.

Any legal specialists in the fraternity out their?

I still think they would wriggle out of that one even with carver appointed as they could simply say we honestly thought Mr CARVER was the next guardiola ,
    we mean, look , he did work for Sir Bobby etc .
    I Think I’d go after them under the trades descriptions act as the season ticket is to go and watch a professional premier league standard football team.
    if only the fan base was united as one then it would be a simple stand off … no one to buy a ticket up front until we see some real intention in the summer in the way of
    1. A Competent , experienced coach with backroom support/ medical staff.
    2.An equally proper structure from the academy to first team.
    3.Signings of quality ,committed players who are not signed simply for a sell on value .
    4.Proven players of a calibre that are suitable to play in the premier league to the highest standards , not simply taking a punt on out of contract players and perma crocks.
    5.K.P.I set for every member of the coaching /playing staff , no more of the jobs for mates/ Geordies policy (it’s not like Barcelona employ staff who are only born and bred in the basque region)
    6. A squad that is big enough to actually cope with a full season with a minimum of one player to cover each position and this should be stated as a such.
    7. A commitment to no longer sell / loan out any players in January unless it suits nufc, not the other club and in no way compromises the teams ability to compete for both premier league and all cup competitions.
    note this is a club who sold Shay Given in January to a club backed by a sovereign state and allowed them to pay us back in instalments .(we were still collecting the final payments when were in the championship )
    Once everyone sees firm evidence that this is actually
    being done then all will pay up and enjoy again being the most important part of nufc.

well we can dream yes?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:23 AM

Reyan,
    Carver has just equalled Pardew’s record for 6 defeats in a row from last season. We failed to score in 8 of 11 games. We have 5 games left, a couple of wins in those and he has matched Pardew in terms of results. To think Pardew would have done any better is hopeful, but he wouldn’t have been able to cope without a striker, or without any defenders either.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:28 AM

Andy Mac,
    To go back a few posts, and I know you were targeting Ed, but…. Utter nonsense to suggest that because a fan isn’t around the city and now living else where now they don’t get what it is like, and the problems are lessened. Ibiza did more than most on here to contribute to the boycott, Jesper has been very vocal in dissent and urging boycotts. Neither of them were even born in Newcastle let alone currently living there.

However, some of the more supportive fans of the regime, and less inclined to boycott are local to Newcastle, and match goers. 30-40,000 still turned up to the match, so how is that the people who live elsewhere that don’t get it?

Ludicrous statement.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:33 AM

Final post, having gone through the Swiss Ramble, I’d be interested to know peoples thoughts on the finances, particularly those who praise what Ashley has done with our revenue streams.

Commercial revenue down since the pre Ashley era, match day revenue down since the pre Ashley era. Debt increased, at it’s peak it was more than double where it stood when Ashley took over, now just the £50million higher.

Is this really a good financial model? When Ashley took over our commercial revenue was just £1million less than Spurs. There is now a £16million gap. We sure do have a lot to be proud of and thankful for…

• one fine day

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:36 AM

toon prodigy
    Toon-Prodigy // Apr 21, 2015 at 1:22 AM

Why are people calling Ed out?

I also respect that Ed like everyone else on here is entitled to an opinion one way or the other .
    And the fact he hasn’t come out on either side for definite maybe is a good thing he is staying impartial.
    roblee made a few good points on this yesterday before departing for good I think.
    My only issue is when Ed actually ignores facts and dismisses the people who protested/ boycotts as a minor interference .
    He has used his streams in the last few days to report that “not that many took part as the gate was still 47.000”
    Now clearly the actually gate has been argued here as anything from 30,000 to 47,000 with many using links to sites / photographs to prove there points .
    Maybe after reading some of his own blog Ed could have stated that the crowd was “very likely significantly lower ” than the clubs count and pointed out why (all season tickets are pre counted towards the final gate regardless of the holder being at the match or not)
    I found this site 2 years ago when true faith went to sh@e and I couldn’t bare looking at the official site .
    but you can forgive some on here thinking that sometimes it seems to ignore what is actually happening at the core and come up with simple far fetched.. “we are tracking/interested in” and “today siem went out without his jacket on” stories when we are staring at the biggest moments in this clubs recent history
    all entitled to be for or against but just keep a sense of what many readers are concerned with here.

• Ron Knee

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:41 AM

How many matches will Cissé be available for? Is it the last three?

• one fine day

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:48 AM

This is where a more balanced statement could have been used ..

Jamie Carragher – I’m Getting Bored By Newcastle

8:52 am, Monday, April 20th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 31 Comments

There was a crowd 47, 427 at St. James’ Park yesterday and that was about 3,000 less than the attendance for the Arsenal game and about 2,000 less than the crowd for the Manchester United game – so not too many seemed to stay away as part of the planned boycott.

• frankie

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:53 AM

It’s pretty obvious where Ed stands given the attendance comments he has made about the boycott. Needs to open his eyes as the truth is there for all to see, even those not on Tyneside.

• one fine day

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:54 AM

ron knee ,
    he got seven matches I make him eligible to be back for the home game with west brom

• Ron Knee

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:55 AM

one fine day
    Thanks. I was too lazy to check!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:57 AM

Ron Knee,
    Yeah, the last 3. I still think we will pick up a couple of results in the remaining games. With Cisse back, De Jong coming back and nearly an actual defence made using defenders then we should be fine. West Ham, West Brom and Swansea are playing for very little now. Leicester and QPR are both beatable as well.

With Cisse back for the West Brom, QPR and West Ham games I think we will be pick up points in each of those.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:59 AM

I don’t think people should be knocking Ed for not backing the boycott. Plenty of fans didn’t back it, as was shown by attendances. Many did as well.

What I would call for is more mention of it, it is the main topic of conversation in the media re Newcastle and amongst the fans. IT has been afforded a few lines here and there, and yet the boycott itself, and reasons have been discussed throughout the media.

Certainly more topical then linking us with an out of contract Wolves winger.

• hibbit

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:00 AM

firebug i believe your story to be true other then its was charnley they had the bust up with on thursday at benton other players have been disciplined also i am pretty sure the full story will come out this week as other members of staff were there when it happened

• tequilamag

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:01 AM

Lilo Swans have problems with injuries as well. Gomis had just started to come into form after Bony left and he is out leaving the ex Boro goal scoring machine Emnes as the likely striker.

• RUNAWAY777

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:03 AM

hear we go again someone who is a free agent, so this shows he will not spend any money again, when will these fans see what he is, what is the point in going to the match and then saying we will walk out say after 17 mins, he still wins as some of yous will have payed to get in so he still gets his money,for f–k stay away.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:04 AM

Tequila,
    Yeah, I’m relatively hopeful we could snatch at least a point this weekend. Will require JC to set the team up to be able to get a goal which is a worry without Cisse.