Carver Concern At Press Conference – Boycott Affected Us

John Carver has confirmed at his press conference today for the game against Swansea on Saturday,  that Argentine International Jonas Gutierrez has apologized to the head coach, after a training ground altercation last week, and he is now in the squad for the game on Saturday, and the other good news is that Siem de Jong will be in the squad for the fame against the Swans.

It would be great if Jonas can start on Saturday because he will show the drive and determination we need to win this game.

john carver in blue

John Carver – boycott affected us

Carver produced a surprise last Sunday when Jonas wasn’t in the 18 man squad for the 3-1 defeat against Tottenham.

Siem de Jong is returning to fitness following his collapsed lung in February and the Dutchman had an excellent game for the U21 side at Aston Villa earlier in the week, and we need his class in the side.

But there  is still no return for 19 year-old Rolando Aarons – maybe next week at Leicester City.

John has told Sky Sports News today about how the boycott affected the team last Sunday:

“I didn’t want to use it as an excuse for players but I think it did affect people,” . “It does affect you, it affected me slightly and it certainly affected some of the players.”

“I know that there’s another one coming this week but at least people are coming in the stadium, and if it’s a protest for one minute, and it only lasts one minute then we’ve got 89 minutes to get on with the game.”

“I don’t have a problem with protests – people are entitled to do it – but at least people are coming into the stadium this time.”

It’s hardly surprising that it affects the players and the atmosphere at St. James’ Park was described to be solemn and weird by our football commentators on the game on NBC Sports.

There is another boycott being called for Saturday – so in fact the crowd could be down again – although it was still over 47,00 last Sunday – and for the fans that do turn up for the game, there will be a stand-up protest against Mike Ashley planned for the 34th minute.

John Carver and the team need the fans’ support on Saturday,  and another defeat could send us ever closer to the relegation zone – that’s still our major concern.

If we can win on Saturday that concern goes away.

• Harley

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:39 PM

Repost

Jail

You asked earlier why mclaren would take the job. Not sure if anyone answered you and I’ve seen you ask before.

I think he’d jump at the chance. I still think Newcastle has a decent standing amongst pros in football. We all know how bad Ashley is and what he’s doing to our club but for a manager like mclaren this could put him firmly back on the map if he does well. And unfortunately just like most decent players, is most likely eying us ong term as a stepping stone.

We have a much higher profile than derby and I also believe that Ashley is going to be forced to spend big this summer. Not for love of the club or a desire to do well but for fear of relegation.

I hope we get him. He’s not my first choice but he’s a proper manager who still has ambition and has a decent sporadic history of success.

• roblee7

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:42 PM

Ed, it wasn’t over 47,000 last sunday. jesus, its comments like that which made me try and stop reading this blog but I couldn’t help myself I love it too much but still Ed, is that deliberate to try and wind people up??

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:44 PM

Ancient
    I’m frequently reminded the bloke even lied in court. And you trust his statement. “No as a man of integrity, I won’t take your 300m because I have already made a statement that I will not sell and it would make me look like a liar if I did.” Best to stop digging, Ancient.

• Pokat

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:45 PM

This article is top bo****ks. Ed man you’re coming out on the wrong side these days, what with saying 47,000 turned up (er no they didnt) the mood was sombre ( it’s been sombre for years now) and most of all for entertaining this boohoo story about the boycott affecting them. Isn’t taking more than 50 large a week home not enough motivation they must have a full house and be happy cheering on their crap football?

• BandB

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:47 PM

September 16 1961

Dear Headteacher

I am writing to you to complain about the bullying of my boy Blackley at school today.
    This morning, a bell was rung in the schoolyard and he was led to some sort of interrogation chamber.
    A man in a sinister flowing black gown then demanded his name and made note of it on what I presume was some kind of deathlist.
    The other members of the gang, around 20 boys and 20 girls, tried to hide themselves behind desks while this outrage was going on.
    Then the man at the front, the presumed ring-leader of the gang, asked Blackley a question about the moon.
    Blackley correctly pointed out that it was made of green cheese.
    The ringleader refused to accept this answer, and continued to do so even when my poor darling threw himself on the ground and starting kicking his legs in the air.
    We know your bullying game, and will be writing you a lengthy letter 10 times an hour until you admit that you are wrong.

signed,

So There.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:54 PM

BandB

Good to see you made good use of your time making up stories when you were in the box. I’ll have a proper read later.

When you, Tuff and Average were in there, you didn’t happen to see young Sparks, did you? I’m beginning to worry about him, poor chap.

• Lindisfarne

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:55 PM

1) stand outside a SD shop and risk getting involved in criminal activity
    2) don’t go to the match
    3) stand up at a specific time in the stadium

Hardly a revolution?!!

And diluting the message not to enter the stadium.

• nufc 11

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:55 PM

I like the line Iam not making excuses BUT I am making excuses the protest really did affect us. I couldnt sleep im really fearful of our safety maybe il ring AP or JFK for advice and anyway if we do go down i already have an 8 year deal as head coach of nufc what a great man i am thanks for the job mike.

• BandB

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:57 PM

Good afternoon…wxz

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:58 PM

BandB
    I’m not sure if I understand your story. I’m slightly concerned it may contained veiled threats but I’m not sure if I’m making them or someone is making them to me. Where’s the blogs resident Professor of Law when you need him? Always around when you don’t need him, never there when you do?

• Rotonda heights

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:02 PM

wish i could find the quotes where jc said the boycott had had no affect!!!More twisty than pardew this guy

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:05 PM

BandB
    I decided not to go to bed. But would you believe it? I fell asleep anyway reading your story. My glass eye fell asleep first.

• toon kk

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:08 PM

Nufc doesn’t belong in the premier league under the current regime. Sad but true.

• lesh

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:09 PM

Of course the boycott and fan reaction to Ashley and Charnley’s mis-management would affect Carver – that’s what it was supposed to do.

It only affected him slightly but I wonder whether it’s been enough for him to stop kidding himself and admit to Charnley that he (Carver) is not up to the HC role.

And one would hope that Charnley’d be man enough to admit to Carver that he was wrong to have accepted him as Interim.

In either case, I think the answer’ll be fat chance of it happening!

Maybe Charnley might just acknowledge that being a CEO of a major entertainment (harrumph!) business is not walk in the park and that he too would benefit from the recruitment of a CEO.

We need a CEO who does understand football and the ways of making money out of on-the field success thus enabling to letting Charnley revert to what he’s good at – whatever that is!!!

And maybe Ashley might just admit he’s cocked up on a grand scale and that it’s time he got out too.

• Zero

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:10 PM

Why doesnt he just put 5 in defense, the rest in DM and shut up shop… one more point and we are safe… the football is crap anyway, its going to be crap for the rest of the season unless the guys coming back from injury can turn the team around massively.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:11 PM

Somebody call/
    Hahahahahaha. Comedy Gold continues.
    Whilst a lot of the time folk get sick of monotomy on the blog and the ding dongs -when there is not much happening on the football front folk on here cannot say they are not entertained royally. The latest outburst of hypocrisy :-
    “Good to see you made good use of your time making up stories …”.

Comedy gold – you just cannot make this stuff up. Unbelievable.

• bettyswallocks

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:15 PM

Blackley

In all seriousness. What do you actually derive from coming on this blog?

• Mister Tuff

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:15 PM

Gets better – now he’s bloody cyclops – no the wonder he couldn’t see how many were in the ground.
    Unbelievable -you cannot make this stuff up.
    Might explain why he keeps going around in circles as well.

• Jeff from Benwell

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:16 PM

BandB
    Stick to being the blog heroine
    Leave the humour to Welshie

• Mister Tuff

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:23 PM

I see McLaren is not categorically ruling himself out of the NUFC job -very cagey responses to questions.
    Hope it isn’t true.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:25 PM

What – the tag team have changed roles.

• stan anderson

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:32 PM

How can this knacker say the boycott affected us.
    He is saying anything that his boss tells him.
    Official attendance figures 47 +thousand.
    Does he not get it people are sick of being shafted buy his slug boss.
    Dropping the prices means they are concerned,the bad publicity is taking its toll now.
    Keep up the pressure please and dont doubt what we do is for the best for the future of the club we all love.

• Pokat

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:33 PM

I’ve noticed Mr Benwell always slags off anyone’s humour but his Welsh sidekicks which is ironic as anyone’s humour is better than the pathetic f**ting noises the lad from the valleys chimes in with lol. Do you two share the same digs?

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:34 PM

Tuff plays to the gallery…waiting for gang acknowledgement …waiting …waiting. .. Come on gang. High fives for Tuff. Ring the bell for group hug time someone. Bettyswsllocks. You’re doing nowt. Ring the ball fella.

• Pokat

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:34 PM

Mr tuff I think they are nuts this tag team, so I’m thinking of calling them the nuts tag team what do you think? Or we could switch it around a bit ha ha there you go jeff wind yer little Welsh marrer up and let him rip hahaha

• Pokat

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:36 PM

Blackley so is it just take your season ticket seat and wait until a few more seasons of Mike Ashley pass by? Is that your plan?

• mindshaft

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:36 PM

If the crowd was over 47,000 I cant see how it affected players – its like saying if we don’t have a full house every game the players and staff are affected – wtf???

The atmosphere at SJP has been like a morgue for most home games this season bar possibly 4 or 5

• Macas

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:36 PM

Mister Tuff – How would you know how many were in the ground?

• Pokat

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:37 PM

it’s a while since it was bouncing for a derby never mind any other game like

• dok - the horrid colonial

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:41 PM

jeff,

still haven’t got the hint huh?

Ashley OOT
    Jeff OOT
    Blackley OOT

• Our Toon

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:41 PM

What’s happened since January when there was no boycott….why was the performance against Spurs riddled with the same shite that’s been on offer ever since this fool took over.

Blackley….did the boycott have an affect?

• Zero

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:45 PM

Mister Tuff,

I read the McClaren interview, to be honest it reads as every manager interview that has been done regarding the Newcastle job. i.e. states that he is under contract and loyal to derby blah blah blah.

In all fairness, frank de boers interviews were more suggestive, those coupled with Christophe Galtier and Remi Garde… the latter whom at one point outrightly refused to comment on the subject… I wont read too much into paper talk untill the end of the season.

With de Jong and drummett coming back along witha possible return for Arrons I can see even Carver picking up at least a couple of points that might keep him in the running for the job as well… at the end of the day ashley stuck with Pardews during equally as worse spelling that included a headbutt on a player.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:45 PM

macas – I do not believe I have indicated how many were in the ground. Therefore what is the basis of your question. Unless you can show otherwise come on chop chop.

• Our Toon

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:46 PM

I wasn’t there so I can’t comment on how many attended but it seems as though 47k was the amount of tickets sold rather than the actual attendance….even the club have acknowledged this. Does it really matter how many did attend though?

On social media some fans say it was around 30k, on here its around 40k or more but the bottom line is prices have been cut for this weekend to encourage fans to go, guess that’s the boycott not working then?

• N1CK06

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:49 PM

I remember the same was said about protesting fans causing a bad atmosphere when the sack Pardew protests were going on, and that it would affect the players. Then we won 6 straight… That was the last time we won two or more consecutive games.

• sparky55

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:55 PM

This is what I said would happen about a month ago.

Match day revenue is nowhere near as important as it used to be pre Sky and he could make newcastle make a profit without any match day revenue whatsoever if he wanted to.

In america they give tickets away to local colleges and business’ and charities just to fill the stadium for TV because gate receipts hardly mean anything anymore but the cameras like to see full grounds.

Ashley will now be giving tickets away and he’s selling cheap tickets just so the ground looks full for the cameras and obviously to lessen the impact of another good day for the Ashley Out campaign.

We’ve obviously pricked a nerve and he’s fighting back the only way he knows how.

Well done AO…a great result. 🙂

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:57 PM

Aye. Aye. The meerkat division has arrived and taken up a strategic position on the flank in a blind side manoeuvre.

• frankie

Apr 23, 2015 at 4:19 PM

Ed, are you ok? This blog of yours is becoming a joke. 147k were not present as well you know. Stop with the pathetic reporting.