Newcastle In Relegation Fight – Boycott, Protests Still Planned

John Carver will give his press briefing today for the home game against Swansea on Saturday, and there was news late last night there will be another boycott of this game, similar to the one last Sunday, in addition to a standing protest after 34 minutes, and a boycott of Sports Direct stores.

Newcastle United  Training Session

John Carver – not getting much support

So our players will find it difficult to get anything out of this home game against a good improving club, who are above us in the league table and, have won this fixture 2-1 in the two previous seasons.

Confidence of getting anything out of this game are not exactly high among our readers.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Swansea?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Since we are now in a relegation fight these protests will do nothing to support interim head coach John Carver and our players, and they certainly need support right now – as they seem to lack confidence, belief and concentration.

If we lose this game on Saturday it could see us sink to just 4 points above the drop zone if Hull and Leicester both win their games, and they have a game in hand and a better goal difference than Newcastle – so we are certainly not safe yet.

And we have a head coach who has very little experience in leading a team in the Premier League, and he continues to prove that during the run-in.

It’s not John’s fault – that’s just the way it is.

We suppose we have to hope that lower league teams do not win and cannot catch us on 35 points, but that’s not a good strategy either, with Leicester City having won three games on the trot and other relegation threatened sides playing like their lives depended on it.

These protests are aimed directly at Mike Ashley, but there’s no doubt they do have unintended consequences, and they do affect our players – as some players have already admitted – and it’s not like they are very tough mentally these days.

We would be a lot happier about these protests if we weren’t still in such a precarious position in the league table, and also in such poor for-  having already lost six games on the trot – and it could be seven on Saturday night.

• MrMojoRisin76

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:22 AM

I think Ed’s just answered why he isn’t fully behind the boycott.

• mindshaft

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:23 AM

Ed – Thanks for posting about the protests, whether you agree with them or not.
    There has been one protest but the players have been playing very poorly and not seeming to give a flying since Carver took over ( presumably because they thought they were safe and were bound to pick up a win somewhere without putting too much effort in.
    I’m not sure we can pin the blame on the protests for Carver and the teams pathetic displays since the turn of the year.

• mindshaft

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:28 AM

I agree it’s not Carvers fault he’s not good enough – he was always going to take the job and he’s highly unlikely to resign – It’s Ashley and Penfolds decision to continue to persist with an inept head coach and coaching staff rather than pay decent money to replace them – we’re now stuck with them until at least summer ( and possibly beyond if we survive ) .
    Relegation will not be Carvers fault but the decision makers above him who for some reason seem to have thought ( much like the players ) that relegation was a non starter given teams below us were so far behind.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:28 AM

Ed,
    What have the players/club/Head Coach and staff done to support the fans in recent times? They had a strong, vocal and passionate away support in the derby match and put in a performance that was talentless and gutless in equal measure.

Is there ever a good time to protest and boycott? Probably not, but the fans have reached a point where tolerance of the sheer apathy, ineptitude and disdain has become too much to bear.

I’m pleased that this is a more inclusive protest, and also targets SD. The promise of further anti SD info on the site, and joining with Rangers fans were 2 things I have suggested for a while, and I’m pleased to see that the group are also thinking along similar lines there.

• Jeff from Benwell

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:30 AM

mindshaft
    Quite right – but missing the point entirely.

It’s like saying you cannot blame the Italian Mafia for the war in Syria.
    Quite right.

They certainly ain’t helping the situation.

• welshgeordie9

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:31 AM

If it’s like last weeks protest, I think will bring my sleeping bag and a pillow and sleep through it.

Wasn’t that great now was it.

• MrMojoRisin76

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:32 AM

AC
    It’ll be one of life’s mystery’s where Jeff’s “left field is”.Who know’s what goes on in his mind?.He’s the only person who thinks the Twilight Zone is a documentary.

• beermonkey

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:32 AM

blackley

when read ur post about the shops in my head I agreed with you as I have said the same I don’t see the point in debating anything with you as you argue like a women no matter what any1 says ur right

• BandB

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:33 AM

The Stand Up To Ashley protest this weekend has three elements.
    It could not be more inclusive

1) Support for those who wish to continue the boycott begun last weekend.
    2) A protest within the ground that relies on nothing but the peaceful act of standing up.
    3) Peaceful picketing of Sports Direct stores in the North East.

These are the three most popular alternatives that members of this blog have put forward for years.

Now there’s a choice. Pick your favourite, and let others pick theirs. No need to say, “I support this, but I don’t go along with that.”

The only other choice is to say “Stop the Protests.”

• welshgeordie9

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:33 AM

i thought twilight zone was a cartoon.

• MrMojoRisin76

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:35 AM

You’ve been spending too much time with the space cadets.

• mindshaft

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:38 AM

Jeff – the difference is that Carver is the current head coach, picks the team and the tactics and is meant to motivate the team – in this sense, he’s just not good enough – he won’t admit it but Penfold and Ashley should see it.

The Italian mafia are not nor have been running nor had involvement in Syria in any form unless you somehow have evidence otherwise

Think you’ve missed the point completely – Carver is an idiot who unfortunately thinks he’s doing a grand job under he circumstances – he therefore needs to be removed by his paymasters
    The mafia cannot remove Assad in any circumstances – Ask IS … apparently it’s proving difficult

• hibbit

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:41 AM

mindshaft carver is just cannon fodder he cannot walk away from his contract it might be his last job in football he has to try to look after his future……….i have asked this before why do carr and charnley get such an easy ride it was them who gave carver the job not a word said on charnley by most fans does not make any sense

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:41 AM

Welsh,
    If the protests last weekend weren’t a success, why was there such a major focus on it from mainstream media? I can appreciate that some people don’t agree with the Ashley out campaign, but it is inescapable that there was a significant impact from the campaign.

I can only think those who walked out before the 70 minute mark, and there were many, were people who were torn between going and following there team, and boycotting. I think the inclusive nature of this protest will give a far clearer indication of how much support there is for the Ashley Out movement.

• stan anderson

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:43 AM

Nobody can blame the crap performances on fans.
    Put on a good show on the field and you have the fans in your pocket.
    Would there be a any protest if the fans were being entertained and had hope of a cup run and not being sh-t on from the slug and his 3rd rate coaches.
    Don blame the fans,i still remember a waitng list for S/Ts. of 12,000 thousand.
    With a real setup at the club this could easily be repeated.I,M.O.

• mindshaft

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:44 AM

I thought Carrs role was to scout players then recommend them to Charnley / Carver etc who would then decide whether they would be a good fir for the team and then Penfold and his team would negotiate price/contract and sell the club to the player…. ahhh yup, I see where I went wrong here

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:45 AM

Beermonkey

I just give an opinion. Whether its right or not is for others to decide. There’s no point claiming to be right or to give people personal abuse when they disagree with you.

People don’t like dissent on here because this blog has almost turned into an AO blog. Even Ed is coming under fire on his own blog for not joining the gang.

Incidentally, when you argue a point, do you think you’re right or wrong? I argue because I think what I’m saying has more merit. It’s up to others to make their own minds up. I can only try to influence people.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:45 AM

mindshaft,
    Do you really think Carver believes he is doing a good job? He has to speak along those lines in public, if he says anything else it would be little more than professional suicide, and the only answer would be for him to step down. I bet when he is speaking in the privacy of his own home he is much more critical of his time at the helm.

I think he should continue in the role till the season’s end, but then come out and withdraw his name from the running for the job.

• JP...from The Rock

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:46 AM

Relegation becoming ever more likely and our players aren’t up for the fight apart from Perez and Jaanmat.

• mindshaft

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:46 AM

@stan – totally agree, don’t think any of us are realistically expecting to win owt but the ambition to challenge and play some decent stuff would snuff out the majority of fan issues

• Average_Contents

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:46 AM

MrMojo

Quality 😀

There’s lots of interpretation of what Jeffreys “left field” could be. Narnia being one of many. Outer space? Test tube? 300bc? Yet undiscovered spiral galaxies?

The list is as endless as infinity.

• mecannylad

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:47 AM

Vs Spurs we were encouraged to stay away. …. if you want to.
    Vs Swansea we are encouraged to stand up. …. if you want to.
    Vs WBA how about the Hokey Cokey and against West Ham how about a quick bit of Agadoo?
    I’m all for protesting for change but we’re desparately in need of an identifiable Lech Walesa leader to rally all of the various protesting groups before it degenerates into a bun-fight.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:49 AM

Blackley,
    If you didn’t keep referring to yourself in the third person as blackleg I woul have no idea and because someone or some people disagreed with your post you’re being victimised, man up. I have been ridiculed in the past for saying Ashleys intentions were mid table at best, that our transfer policy was flawed, I do not expect everyone who disagreed with me to tell me I was right all along, thus is what you seem to be asking. I did once ask beefman13 for an apology though. He told me to fcuk off.

• Chris

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:56 AM

“AshleyOut.com has urged supporters to stage a standing protest on the 34th minute on Saturday representing the club’s £34m bank balance”

That would just prove to Ashley how stupid the fans are, because the club’s bank balance as reported in the accounts wasn’t £34m – it was £22.5m. If you don’t believe me go and check the accounts for yourselves.

• Obertan's better than Messi

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:00 AM

I’m finding Ed’s royal ‘we’ even more annoying than usual.

“We would be a lot happier about these protests if we weren’t still in such a precarious position in the league table”

Would we?

Perhaps we’re in a precarious position because of bad management and ownership which …. is what the F***ING protests are about.

WAKE UP USA.
    We’ve had enough. Do you want another the rest of the club’s history to be like the last eight years?

#ASHLEYOUT

• lesh

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Obertan’s better than Messi

How many times do folk need to be told that Ed’s ‘royal we’ refers to him and his son – plural, geddit?

• Sav

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:29 AM

With every day, every match, every club official statement, relegation is looking like a more reasonable price to pay for change. I can’t take another season like this one.

• the truth

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:27 PM

Say a big YES to boycotting sports direct.

But there is no forgiveness to the fans who derailed Pardew out of the club, the one good thing that was going for them. This shows that they don’t have clue on football or their club. Serves them right if they are relegated (and by “them” I mean Ashley and those Anti-Alan fans )

• Harley

Apr 23, 2015 at 1:07 PM

Jail

You asked earlier why mclaren would take the job. Not sure if anyone answered you and I’ve seen you ask before.

I think he’d jump at the chance. I still think Newcastle has a decent standing amongst pros in football. We all know how bad Ashley is and what he’s doing to our club but for a manager like mclaren this could put him firmly back on the map if he does well. And unfortunately just like most decent players, is most likely eying us ong term as a stepping stone.

We have a much higher profile than derby and I also believe that Ashley is going to be forced to spend big this summer. Not for love of the club or a desire to do well but for fear of relegation.

I hope we get him. He’s not my first choice but he’s a proper manager who still has ambition and has a decent sporadic history of success.

• toonander

Apr 23, 2015 at 1:26 PM

It time to get behind the team on Saturday ,never mind boycott talk this team needs all the help it can get , boycott when where safe