Newcastle’s New Head Coach Is Exceptional

Michael Owen argued on BT Sport’s Football Tonight on Monday night that Newcastle United may not win  another game this season, and worse than that,  he said we may even lose all our remaining five games – and that would make it an eleven game losing streak to end off the season with.

And we thought last season was bad enough?

🙁

steve mcClaren

Steve McClaren – exceptional coach

That’s hard to imagine, but of course anything is possible in life and in football (we’ve found that out),  and if that happens we may even deserve to be relegated at the end of May.

We put out the video of Michael on BT Sport a couple of days ago, and for those who watched it right through, they will have heard Michael say some glowing things about Steve McClaren.

Steve was the England manager when Michael was still playing on the International stage, and he was also the long term assistant to former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson.

Michael rates Steve as one of the best coaches he ever played for in his career:

“It doesn’t look like John Carver will get the job on a permanent basis,”

“I think if Derby don’t go up into the Premier League, then Steve McClaren could be a good candidate for that job.”

“He is an exceptional coach. I have worked with a lot of good coaches in my time, and he is right up there.”

There are some fans who think that Steve would be able to do a reasonable job at the Tyneside club – about one in four readers according to our poll.

Do You Want To See Steve McClaren As Newcastle's New Head Coach?

• No (73%, 6,518 Votes)
  • Yes (27%, 2,462 Votes)

Total Voters: 8,980

Loading ... Loading ...

And we suppose given the news of the last few days if it’s not Steve McClaren, it looks like Newcastle could still appoint John Carver to the position.

Now we may be missing something, but why on earth would Newcastle ever appoint John Carver to the job given his awful record this year?

As we said – we may be missing something.

• Obertan's better than Messi

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:07 AM

repost

I’m finding Ed’s royal ‘we’ even more annoying than usual.

“We would be a lot happier about these protests if we weren’t still in such a precarious position in the league table”

Would we?

Perhaps we’re in a precarious position because of bad management and ownership which …. is what the F***ING protests are about.

WAKE UP USA.
    We’ve had enough. Do you want the rest of the club’s history to be like the last eight years?

#ASHLEYOUT

• BandB

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:08 AM

It’s all PROTEST, PROTEST, PROTEST these days.

Nothing about FOOTBALL!

I have two football based thoughts to remind us of the hard football facts behind these protests, and it won’t take long.

Form table LLLLLL
    Newcastle v Sunderland LLLLL

• Obertan's better than Messi

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:12 AM

B&B

If you use ‘we’ instead of I, it makes it sound like you are speaking on behalf of a larger group and not you are not just an individual.

Clever way to make your individual opinion seem to carry more weight …

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Obertan,
    When Ed uses ‘we’ he is talking about he and his son who host and write the pieces for the blog mate.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:13 AM

Again I ask, why would McLaren want to come here with the restrictions outlined in Churners statement !

• MrMojoRisin76

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:16 AM

Repost
    I feel good taking consolation in the fact that Jabba must be sh1tting his pants now,when he gave Carver the job he must have looked at the fixtures and thought”Yeah,no problem,John will get us the points we need to stay up”,now,he’s possibly 5 games away from relegation and the value of the club dropping by 100m?maybe more plus losing the Premier League money.He sh@t his pants the last time it looked like we were going down and brought some players in,can’t do it this time,he has to rely on JC to get him the points.Plus all the media attention he’s getting must be getting to him.Loving it

• optimistic prime

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:16 AM

It’s like one man and his dog.

Black sheep being chased around a field with Jeff and his welsh terrier in hot pursuit.
    Bit of animal attraction going on there.

Come bye come bye

• Obertan's better than Messi

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:20 AM

We are going to support the boys in black and white no matter what.
    Even if they are poor quality not fit for the shirt bought by a penny pinching millionaire.

Lets all turn out year after year and get behind this awful team, with no ethics, no morals, no guts, and no ambition.
    Lets applaud the business skills of the owner.
    Let’s all turn up like sheep.
    Let’s post articles like everything is going to be alright if only the naught fans get in line.
    It’s all our fault for not supporting the club properly.
    All you have to do is turn up pay Ashley your cash, say nothing, cheer once every ten games when we score … then life on the blog can return to normal … plagiarised articles and hundreds of money-making ads.

• Phil K

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:22 AM

ANYONE is better than that incompetent bog-cleaner Carver. But mark my words. Don’t rule out HARRY REDKNAPP. Ashley had a thing about him, and he’d be cheap now. Quality is NOT what Ashley will go for.
    But I do think he’ll go for McLaren

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:22 AM

MrMojo,
    The 100M might stick in his throat a little bit,he might be a bit embarrassed at the SD shareholders meeting when millions have been wiped off the value due to the lack of world wide advertising.

• optimistic prime

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:22 AM

Isn’t Owen another welsh fool?

I never wanted the little tart at NUFC, it actually turned out exactly as I thought when he did.

Spent most if his career injured except when sitting on Madrids bench.

Stick to horses bonny lad

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:22 AM

Phil K,
    Stuart Pearce !

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:23 AM

Jail.
    You’re right. Just because they’re all talking about me doesn’t mean I’m not paranoid. But it’s a pretty good indication I’m not.

It would seem from your so-called lack of knowledge that others call me Blackleg that you skip most of their posts and focus on mine.

I can’t believe after I put you back in your box that that was your best attempt to get out.

• Obertan's better than Messi

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:25 AM

Lilongwe Geordie

Don’t think that’s why. His son wrote a few articles when Ed was ill.
    He’s always written in this annoying way to give his one man blog the appearance it is a collective effort.

Anyway I’m out of here too nice to be inside …

#BOYCOTTSWANSEA
    #ASHLEYOUT

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:25 AM

Jail
    How many millions will be wiped off the value?

• Macas

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:28 AM

Obertan’s better than Messi – Don’t hurry back

• Jeff from Benwell

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:30 AM

Mojo
    I think you are over rating Asleys involvement with the club on a day by day or month by month basis.
    If you remember how much control Llambias had and now I think Charnley has the same. In other words I think the appointment of Carver was Charnley’s with the approval of MA.I always thought Joe Kinnear’s appointment had Llambias’ sticky fingers all over it.
    Clearly neither of us knows for sure because of the clubs lack of communication skills.
    If I am right I think Carver will get more time off Charnley and if it goes pear shaped Charnley will have to fall on his sword as well.
    As for AshleyOut , it is doomed to failure , he has alist of scapegoats as long as your arm.

• jon.c

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:31 AM

ED stop reporting on every player that may be available we are fed up with your blogs try and be positive. hopefully we will have a new coach for next season but why would anyone want to come when supporters are against any coach suggested as has been shown in recent polls

• cbtoon82

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:33 AM

I will probably get slated for this. A friend of mine plays for an Irish league team and would be very involved in the IFA and has been on various courses etc to do with coaching badges, with a lot of premier league players. According to him many of them state McClaren as the best coach they have ever worked with.

Just putting it out there…

• Zero

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:33 AM

Blackley… you called yourself blackleg… didnt you, well you referred to it as your name on a previous blog… most bloggers on here refer to posters by their posting name or shortened ones.

nvm its rarther by the by and completely irrelevant.

• lesh

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:35 AM

If Ashley had any sense, (harrumph) he’d get McClaren signed up and announced smartish.

Doing that’d take some heat of things and possibly motivate the players and encourage support for the team.

But, has he any sense?

• MrMojoRisin76

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:35 AM

Jeff
    Are you getting me confused with someone else?,my previous post mentioned nothing about Jabba’ day to day involvement with the club.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:37 AM

Blackley,
    You haven’t put me in a box you really do seem to be fighting a cause for the sake of fighting, if someone called you blackleg, did you want me to say stop it or was it so unnoticeable that you had to bring it to everyones attention.
    I’m not sure how many millions would be wiped off but I’m pretty certain that having a 52K seater billboard televised round the world would have a bearing on the share price.

• Zero

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:37 AM

Im not a massive fan of McClaren but then again ive never personally been to a training session of his. Hes a massive improvement on Carver and probs a improvement on Pardew… so it could be worse.

Yes I would love Klopp etc to come, if they do it would be pure cherry, if they dont we could be doing a lot worse than McClaren.

• optimistic prime

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:37 AM

Lesh

I agree, that’s why I don’t hold much hope for any serious change.

All these supposed free transfers Ayew etc, a couple of them signed and a head coach on a pre contract would show some sort of intention.

The Silence says quite a lot

• Jeff from Benwell

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:38 AM

Zero
    Thanks for that
    Remind us which Universiity you are attending at the moment

• Zero

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Jail,

Your wasting your time with Blackley, he spent crap tons of posts arguing about how stable the club was finiacially, and loves to try and quote values or get others to so that he can then ridicule them…yet suprisingly a few articles back a poster whom claims to be trained in accounts said they could explain every last penny from NUFC to him and how we are worse off…guess what..he went quiet on the subject..suprise suprise!

• expatmag

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:41 AM

JFA

I dont know why you bother with that dipstick. He is clearly suffering from an identity crisis brought on by his perceived victimisation status.

Leave him alone. He might just go away if people ignore him.

• Mint

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Anyone who thinks we are getting relegated is deluded. you need at least one down and out relegation candidate by now who has lost points to all the otehr sides to give them enough to reach 35+ each.
    This season there are FIVE candidates all around the same points tally underneath us.
    It would require THREE clubs to perform miraculous three game winning streaks, much like sunderland did last year to eveyones suprise.
    Do you really think that will, or has ever happened? Three clubs in the bottom 5 going on amazing winning runs?

As Ross noble once said. Show me…

• Zero

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Jeff… who would you prefer?

Im assuming your post was sarcastic… was it not?

• beermonkey

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:45 AM

lesh / jail

no concern of ours but if we announced McLaren would that not have the effect of derailing derby’s promotion push so I am pretty sure they wont allow while there season is still going

but just a confirmation on carver yes or no would help

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:45 AM

Blackley,
    I am taking the advice of other posters who probably find you as tiresome as I do. I will be ignoring you from now on unless you have something constructive to say, or at least something I find constructive.

• mindshaft

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:45 AM

Well we aren’t going to get Klopp, Benitez, Guardiola or anyone of similar ability or ambition – thats one thing we should all be able to agree on.

McClaren by most player accounts is a decent coach, but he’s done nothing in his career ( other than a dutch title ) to warrant any praise.

He’s possibly the best we can attract though most fans don’t want him here.
    Personally he’s not for me but he would be better than Carver…. guess it’s quite hard to be worse

• Average_Contents

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:47 AM

Zero

Might I suggest some friendly advice. Heed your own to Jfa where the WOS is concerned 😀

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:49 AM

Mint,
    Personally I don’t think we will go down as I find it inconceivable that we can’t muster five points from our remaining games but I think you’re deluded to say it would require a miracle.

• lesh

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:49 AM

beermonkey

Yup, it would impact on Derby and we can only hope there’s a confidentiality agreement in place.

Christ, McClaren…. we can only hope………. What the hell? Talk about managing expectations!

• Average_Contents

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:49 AM

Jfa

Hallelujah. Deprive those of oxygen that merely wish to antagonise

• Zero

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:49 AM

WOS?

sorry ive been missing from the blog for a while… just catching back up with everything.

I see there are a few new trolls about though.

• Average_Contents

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:54 AM

Zero

Sorry. I should of explained. It’s a term I use to describe those of questionable intentions.

Waste Of Spunk.

• BandB

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:54 AM

Jail,

Odds as short as 33/1.

Not likely. But not deluded.