Bad Marriage Between Ashley And Newcastle To End Soon?

In The Sun today West Ham Vice-Chairman Karren Brady has talked about the Newcastle owner Mike Ashley, and she makes some interesting points about the Newcastle owner in his eight years at Newcastle.

karen brady

Karren Brady of West Ham

Just like in our relegation season six years ago,  there have been demonstrations from the fans both before and during the games, because of the way Ashley has mismanaged Newcastle on the field of play.

Those protests will continue through the end of the season, which could again end up in relegation for Newcastle.

This is what Karren has said about Ashley:

“David Gold says there’s no chance of he and co-owner David Sullivan selling West Ham.” “How different from Mike Ashley, who appears to be going through the motions like a marriage with Newcastle that both bores and irritates him.”

“Owning a club is a business but, more than that, it is a responsibility to the community, fans and the game itself. Only Ashley knows how many of those tests he thinks he passes.”

And that last paragraph is where Ashley has failed miserably at Newcastle over the last eight years, where money is all important and the team isn’t, and we’ve exceeded 50 points in the Premier League only once in eight seasons.

Those criticisms of Ashley come from Brady in her diary in the Sun, and in truth it’s never been a good relationship between the fans and Ashley, ever since Mike Ashley bought the club back in the summer of 2007.

Mike has twice tried to sell the club before in 2008 and 2009 and failed both times, and there is a chance he could try to sell the club again in the summer and finally leave Tyneside.

But there is currently uncertainty about what will happen to Newcastle in the league, and if we are relegated there’s no way he could get around £260M for Newcastle, so that he doesn’t lose money on the deal – and we know money is important to him.

If Newcastle do survive and stay in the Premier League that could be the time Mike Ashley thinks enough is enough and again puts the club up for sale this summer, but we’d be surprised if he can get his money back on Newcastle.

Aston Villa will be sold in the summer if they don’t get relegated, but that’s only for around £150M to a Chinese consortium, and John W Henry (Fenway Sports Group) only paid £300M for Liverpool back in October, 2010.

Newcastle have been completely silent over the last two months as the side has gone to hell in a hand-basket on the pitch, due in large measure to the mistakes that were made in the January transfer window that left us with a threadbare squad and an inexperienced coach in charge.

And it will be interesting if anything is said or done this week to try to correct what looks like a death dive into the Championship.

We don’t expect anything to happen.

What do you think?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:00 AM

Ron…what is some good thinking mate 😀

• Ron Knee

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:02 AM

jesper
    I think Ashley, Charnley and Carr gambled that Carver could repeat what Glenn Roeder did back in 2006. Look at the result!

• Slank

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:03 AM

REPOST

Ibiza @ 5

I said it in the previous article that Carver should withdraw his canditure from the position of Head Coach and say so in public.

If he loves the club so much he should be honest enough to acknowledge that he isn’t up to the job.

This would lift a huge weight from his shoulders which I’m sure is affecting team performances. He is probably anxious, tetchy and nervous which must rub off on the players.

We would praise him for being honest if he withdrew his canditure because as it is he destroying the club and his future livelihood if not his health.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:04 AM

Ed…I think if we loose at Leicester we are Championship bound!

…seeing as the TV money is reason enough these days to own a PL club I would probably replace Carver now if I were Ashley.

With a permanent manager of course. What he should have done in January.

• Munster Mag

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:05 AM

Get harry redknapp in. Fast.

• Ron Knee

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:06 AM

Slank
    Carver is coming out with the same muddled thinking as Pardew before him. We all know the courageous think to do is quit, but they seem to think it’s cowardly (and financially disastrous!).

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:07 AM

Ron…it’s alright to make a rash and rather naive judgement call as long ad you are man enough to admit you were wrong 🙂

…and doing so before it’s too late.

But, what I don’t get is why take that risk? Why wait? I don’t buy the argument that a proper manager was not available.

• scout

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:08 AM

Sack Carver or we are down. I keep saying we will pick up points but time is running out.
    Ashley do it, this man will have us playing Gateshead.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:09 AM

Jesper…From previous…I need to start by saying this isnt meant to come across as rude, but I realise it might.

I have accepted there are issues with both the owner and HC. I’m simply talking priorities.

Perhaps, if you don’t feel I’m grasping what you’re saying, try another way, or give me a fuller scenario of what we should be doing, in your opinion?

I feel you’re hinting at something, but not really saying it and passing it off as something not understood.

To be clear, I don’t excuse Carver of all blame, I just am not getting the point of taking action against him right now – most people know he is not fit for purpose. Does it matter if people sympathise with his situation or not?

Again, maybe we should be focusing not more on what you think the issues are, but how we deal with them?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:09 AM

I said back in January the risk was too big! I don’t like being right all the time 😉

• Pokat

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:12 AM

Get rednapp in? Seems like a good stint in the desert and wizz looks like champagne lol

• hibbit

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:15 AM

ron the maverick is as ashley the others just nod they have no say its a one man band the rest are just puppets

• Ibizatoon

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:16 AM

Slank…Agreed. That would make life much simpler for all involved.

Is it his own pride, is it his job security – not sure.

Maybe my view it twisted. But we all see it, why can’t his bosses? They must be able to, but have decided it’s best to leave him sat there, whilst both he, the team and the fans spiral towards the championship. All the while they just sit there, doing what appears to be nothing. Not even a statement.

I note “the club” responded to claims yesterday of Carver inviting fans “outside” pretty quickly.

They must be struggling with the fans forum open letter. Didn’t think they were overly difficult questions.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:17 AM

Ibiza…if you do understand what I mean then I am not sure what the beef is with my post?

…we don’t all have to agree!

I think I have explained I believe Carver needs to be replaced – probably before the Leicester game – since it might be too late after that.

No point being a Championship club to get the point across that Ashley needs to be removed.

I stand by what I said earlier. I am not trying to be grumpy here, but what is it you don’t think I am not clear about?

• Ron Knee

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:17 AM

Jesper
    There’s obviously a culture problem at NUFC about owning up to mistakes (terror of the Fat Man?).
    It’s also obvious that a temporary/permanent coach needs to be air-lifted in NOW, but they just don’t see it!

• Slank

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:18 AM

Scout @ 8

Who would you suggest we get for the remaining games of the season if Carver was sacked ?

• Rotonda heights

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:19 AM

” and there is a chance he could try to sell the club again in the summer and finally leave Tyneside.”

Daft speculative and sensationalist headline.
    Nothing factual whatsoeover. Who said there is a chance?????????????????????

He’s going nowhere but if he did it would be down to the efforts of people like the AO campaign that you always dismiss

• Ibizatoon

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:21 AM

Jesper…It’s nothing more than you ending your posts saying that maybe I don’t get it 🙂

That doesn’t say we simply have a different opinion, that is fine as always, what you’re implying is I don’t understand – so I was just asking for you to explain it differently then.

Perhaps just a misunderstanding and certainly no beef…

“The gang squashes their beef” 🙂

So, Carver should be replaced and I agree, he should, he shouldn’t have been there anyway. How do we do that? How long do we again wait for the man who makes that call to do the right thing?

• mactoon

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:23 PM

I dont understand the content of the article. Why would he want to sell when he is getting millions flooding into the bank account and free advertising for Sports Direct?

Carver needs to be replaced by a short term experienced manager who can get the team to stagger over the line over the last few games.What is happening at the moment is simply criminal

• Moonraker15

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:15 PM

Pay a top coach a lot of money to mentor Carver till were safe; don’t care who but there must be people who would do it for say, the amount Ashley got in compo for Percy!

The price of relegation cannot be calculated but it would devastate our club.

Any suggestions? Glen Hoddle maybe or what about Fergus? Ffs that would do it; pay him 5 million to keep us up ! Farfetched I know but we’ve got to start doing something as I’m sure Charnley is paralysed with fear!

• magpiefifer

Apr 26, 2015 at 3:10 PM

Can’t see a divorce anytime soon – but would love it to happen.
    All Ashley will do is stay away from SJP and count his money from SD and NUFC!!!
    Keep up the campaign though and I think that we’ll eventually see the back of him – not soon enough,that should have been 7 years ago!!!

• m1c4a3l

Apr 26, 2015 at 5:26 PM

I would put beardsley in charge myself like. Not only is it financial sound but he knows the club and fans well. Anyone agree?

• 9

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:53 PM

1. Carver is useless.
    2. NUFC will not be relegated this season
    3. If our owner sells, he would get £500M++

• gazzaforever

Apr 26, 2015 at 7:20 PM

I do, Beardsley is the best option right now, he s 100 times better than Carver

• Whumpie

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:06 PM

Inread it the other way around. Ashley needs the brand exposure the PL gives him much more than he needs a few tes of millions. My guess is that relegation will get rid rather than survival. Besides – if we do stay up, then what? Panic buying in the summer to get us back up to a mid-table team and endless mediocrity.
    Hate to say it lads but I’m hoping we go down now. Better a lower league club than a pointless one.

• boltonmagpie

Apr 26, 2015 at 11:58 PM

We are doomed. 35 points is not enough.
    If we do go down we will not come straight back up.
    The current crop of players are gutless and would not be able to get us back up.
    Years in the wilderness beckons.