This Is Newcastle’s Big Hope This Season

Newcastle lost yet another game yesterday against Swansea, and it was our seventh defeat in a row and our fourth successive defeat at St. James’ Park, following our only win since the end of the transfer window, when we managed to beat Aston Villa 1-0 on February 28th.

Siem de Jong scoring swansea

Siem de Jong – scoring yesterday

So we have lost all our games in March and April with our next game being at Leicester City next Saturday on May 2nd.

The only bright spot yesterday was the performance of Siem de Jong, who came on for Remy Cabella after 74 minutes and looked full of class.

And Siem did what he does best and scored from a Colback cross with just three minutes to go, to make the score a little more respectable at 3-2, but Newcastle were a well beaten side yesterday in that second half.

So if Siem can play for us in the last four games of this season, we will still have a chance of retaining our Premier League status – but four more defeats and we could go down.

Siem’s the big hope for Newcastle and Moussa Sissoko will also be back from his two game suspension for the Leicester City game.

John Carver after the game yesterday said that Paul Dummett could also possibly return next Saturday from his knee injury.

And in our game after Leicester which is West Brom at home the following Saturday, we will have Papiss Cisse back from his seven  game suspension.

But our Achilles heel is our defense, and we keep letting in silly goals, and the back four have to improve if we are to stay in the Premier League for next season.

• Slank

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:28 AM

Ed,

Straws clutching at, me thinks

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:33 AM

Morning Ibiza…as much as we all seem to agree that Ashley is killing this club and doing what ever he wants with the out most disregard to us fans it does not excuse the likes of Pardew or Carver!

…lets not get blindsided here…in 4 games time we could be a Championship club. All this I not just Ashley’s fault!

I simply won’t champion the likes of Carver nor Pardew just because I hate Ashley more 😉

You say you understand what I mean, but do you really?

• Ron Knee

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:40 AM

Napoleon recognised that luck was important. ‘Give me a lucky general’, he is supposed to have said. P45 had the devil’s luck. He was a crap manager at NUFC, but he always managed to avoid relegation. Sadly, I don’t see this quality in Carver.

• cestriasteve

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:43 AM

Here’s a couple of nuggets from Carver at Colin Richardsons funeral during the week.

He said after the Sunderland defeat HE had to get away so he goes up to Edinburgh and at the restaurant that night HIS night is ruined by Newcastle fans out for a night out…… How terrible for you!!!

He says that there is a considerable amount of money at HIS disposal for new players in the summer.

He seems to be a bit self centred does our JC

• Ibizatoon

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:45 AM

Jesper….I believe I do, but perhaps not 🙂

Give me a fuller scenario on what you think should be happening, it might make it easier to digest.

It comes across that basically, blame should be levelled where it belongs. Therefore poor performances annd tactics, look to the HC / manager…not the owner.

I get that, for a certain amout of time. However, not to excuse the HC or manager, but if the owner constantly hires people, not fit for purpose, and seemingly theyre only real qualifications are being grateful for the job and loyal to Ashley over the club / fans,then for me, it’s time to stop getting sidetracked on easily dismissed Ashley shields.

Why are neither Ashley nor Charnely saying anything? Carver is being prepped for sacrifice.

Carver is allowing it, no doubt, he always has a choice.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:45 AM

Maybe Pardew has a four leaf clover 😉

• Ibizatoon

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:49 AM

I think Pardew was probably just a better b*llsh*tt*r than Carver.

• Magpie Season

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:51 AM

I think we should have hope.

Something tells me that Cabella, Janmaat, Perez & Sissoko will all be playing up a gear towards the run in, in the hope of attracting any potential suitors mind, rather than saving the club from relegation; as they have seen what Ashley’s NUFC is all about.

• Slank

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:52 AM

Jesper,

Why is it that Carver is not getting stick ?

In every other club that is doing badly it is the manager who gets the blame. Not that I have paid much attention but I don’t hear of protests against Ellis Short or Tony Fernandes.

Ive heard and seen protests against the Glazers with good reason as they have enriched themselves through putting ManU in debt as did our beloved Geordie families of Freddie Shepherd and John Hall.

• Ron Knee

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:53 AM

jesper@6
    Perhaps Carver could borrow it?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:53 AM

Ibiza…I’ll tell you what. Things are never one sided and swing ad we might be a Championship club within a month don’t you think it’s time we stopped being one dimensional and accepted that it’s not just about the HC or the owner, but actually about both?

Non of us can influence what Ashley will do when he hires a HC, buy it does not excuse who ever gets the job. We are in this situation because we have accepted less than average managers and we have let the owner getting away with it – that and not investing in the club.

I think it’s a bit of a worry where we are heading…

Like I said I am not sure you quite get what I mean (you might disagree)

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:54 AM

*swing ad = seeing as

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:58 AM

Slank…are you asking me why Carver is not getting stick?

…good question! Maybe we simply cannot multitask…maybe we just need it to be one ir the other. Lord knows why!

• Ron Knee

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:01 AM

jesper
    I think Ashley, Charnley and Carr gambled that Carver could repeat what Glenn Roeder did back in 2006.

• Slank

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:02 AM

Ibiza @ 5

I said it in the previous article that Carver should withdraw his canditure from the position of Head Coach and say so in public.

If he loves the club so much he should be honest enough to acknowledge that he isn’t up to the job.

This would lift a huge weight from his shoulders which I’m sure is affecting team performances. He is probably anxious, tetchy and nervous which must rub off on the players.

We would praise him for being honest if he withdrew his canditure because as it is he destroying the club and his future livelihood if not his health.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:39 AM

YESTERDAY WAS A SAD DAY
    The day Newcastle United were relegated as I cannot see us picking up another point with the spineless gutless players we have at our disposal along with a totally inept manager and coaching staff
    Players couldn’t be bothered, fans couldn’t be bothered even the protest was half hearted.
    The whole place STINKS !!!! of despair
    As for the football Carver has to go along with all the back room staff and coaches right down to the junior teams and a new ethos of passing and moving to grow throughout the club.
    As for the minute Carver and the rest of the coaches ain’t got a clue.
    Take yesterday – set the team up to play narrow, dispensed with wingers. Hoofed the ball long to Perez (for F**K’s sake give the lad a chance.
    I counted at least 20 times Krul hoofed the ball airborne to our midget attackers and not once did any of our defenders come short to take a pass out, movement off the ball nil, no one runs past the man with the ball to receive a pass so the ball ends up going backwards.
    Free kicks corners, same old ploy – float it into Williamson who stands still and does not attack the ball. even when we did attack the end ball was floated in for Perez.
    Absolute clueless tactics – sorry what tactics!!!!!!

• G peart 83

Apr 26, 2015 at 10:05 AM

It wouldn’t suprise me if he gets injured in training this week

• boltonmagpie

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:03 AM

Sissoko is already thinking of moving elsewhere!
    I would not play him.
    De Jong may get us a goal or two, but we will concede more.
    Nigel Pearson will put one over us as will Allardyce on the last game of the season. Can’t see us getting anything against Pulis, unless West Brom fail to score. Our goal difference is so bad I think we need at least 3 points to stay up!!
    I’m usually an optimistic type, but find it very hard to get enthused these days.