Club Prioritizes Sports Direct Above The Newcastle Team

Have you noticed that Newcastle United have issued nothing about the clubs’ terrible fall down the Premier League table this year, which now sees us in relegation trouble, not one statement about it has been published on the web-site.

But as soon as Sports Direct’s name is brought into question on a TV program last night –  they issue two statements within 24 hours of each other – they couldn’t get them out quickly enough but not one statement to the fans this year about the troubles we are in.

As we know from John Carver – actions speak louder than words – so here’s a question – who are Newcastle more concerned about – the team or Sports Direct?

Cardiff City v Newcastle United - Premier League

Mike Ashley using Newcastle as front for Sports Direct

Mike Ashley’s real intentions have been brutally revealed this year, and he is simply using Newcastle United FC as a front for his company Sports Direct – the Premier League and/or the FA need to step in and end his ruse.

Here is their latest statement from Newcastle vigorously defending Sports Direct:

In reference to our statement last night (Monday, 27th April) regarding the Channel 4 ‘Dispatches’ program, The Secrets of Sports Direct, Newcastle United would like to clarify the facts for the benefit of supporters.

Last night’s program made a wholly inaccurate claim regarding the retail relationship between the Club and Sports Direct.

In the Club’s view, the broadcaster deliberately misled Newcastle United supporters and provided yet another example of erroneous media reporting which only serves to further antagonise fans.

In January 2014, in the minutes of its Fans Forum which are published online, the Club confirmed how the retail relationship with Sports Direct works.

For the purpose of clarity, we can confirm that 100%  of the income from goods bought in the Club’s official stores and on its website are received by the Club and not Sports Direct, as the ‘Dispatches’ program claimed.

The only money paid by the Club to Sports Direct is for the stock at cost price, plus a handling fee. This represents far better value than the costs the Club historically incurred in relation to purchasing, storage and distribution.

In fact, the change to our retail operating structure introduced in February 2013, which saw us partner with Sports Direct, increased the profit margin by over 50 per cent. This benefits the Club hugely.

In simple terms, the Club receives more money as a result of this relationship.

Channel 4 failed to contact the Club in order to clarify any facts in relation to our retail operation.

Given that this information was already in the public domain, and had been for over 15 months, we find it incredible that the makers of an investigative current affairs programme chose to air information which was so obviously factually incorrect.

It’s getting harder and harder to believe Newcastle about all of this.

When will the club issue a statement about the perilous position of the football team?

• scout

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:57 PM

Why are you mentioning a few poxy shirts. We want you to buy some players and show some ambition. Dont distance yourself from the main issues by going on and on about a few million quid from the ckub shop.

• GeordieTwo

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:58 PM

Boom, boom, boom boom boom
    Boom boom boom boom
    We suck!!!
    Thanks for all your hard work Ashley but please leave ASAP. (I was only joking about the hard work you tosser.)

• MrMojoRisin76

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:58 PM

Repost
    Blackley
    1 question.Why do you feel the need to stick up for Jabba?,why do you give a f@ck about the truth in peoples opinions of Jabba?.I don’t give a flying f@ck about him for what he’s done to our club.

• GeordieTwo

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:59 PM

Mike nobody gives a damn about your sport rags. Talk to the supporters about the crap side you have “developed”. They couldn’t beat a decent U-12 girls side. Step down you fool and get out of our club.

• scottoon

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:01 PM

Repost –

G2- where in Canada are you? I’m in Halifax.

Blackley – supporting NUFC is not a birthright. You are not entitled to any greater respect simply because you are from Newcastle. We all support Newcastle in our own way. I resent the term armchair supporter in that you imply that by virtue of my geography alone I somehow care less about the fate of the side. Nothing could be further from the truth. I have no desire to see us in the Championship but I would faithfully follow the Toon there. I have done it in the past. I just hope I don’t have to do so again.

• BandB

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:03 PM

Mojo

Excuse me if this is a daft question, but are you a history buff?

• GeordieTwo

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:04 PM

I’m on the opposite side of Canada scout mate. I live in Burnaby now. Good place, but I miss Newcastle. Been in Canada a long time but never forget my roots.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:06 PM

Stan Anderson
    See my reply to Pokat. I’m not saying any fan’s support is not valid or equal. Just some is more valid and equal than others.

When one criticises the other for “propping up the slug”, I think it’s fair to hit back, particularly if the critics are likely to be here to day gone tomorrow supporters. In some cases, the most reckless are those who can’t even be classed as here today supporters. They’ve never even been to SJP in their lives.

As I’ve said previously, I respect any fan who no longer goes to the games because they’ve had enough. That’s their choice. I don’t urge them to come back or criticise them because they don’t. But I don’t admire them like I admire the supporters who never miss a game home and away. That’s true devotion. People who criticise those devoted fans for “propping up the slug” should be ashamed, not least in the light of recent tragic events.

• welshgeordie9

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:07 PM

I wonder where Jeff is these days, i bet he’s banned.

• Belfast

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:08 PM

This statement deserves 6 strikes for annoying me.

• GeordieTwo

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:09 PM

Yes, you wouldn’t want to miss the next serving of deep fried cow sh*te Blackley mate. Just think of how much more of it you’re going to get if Ashley stays because he believes he can get away with it and get millions in free advertising year after year.

• welshgeordie9

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:09 PM

Hands up you lot, who’s been moaning to ed.

• MrMojoRisin76

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:09 PM

Blackley
    Please don’t try that answer a question with a question bulsh1t?.

• Belfast

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:10 PM

I was thinking the same thing myself welshie, maybe he’s ran of with the milkman ?

• BandB

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:11 PM

Welshgeordie,

You would know if he had been banned, surely?

If he has been, you should let us know, and why. I don’t think bloggers should just be taken out in the night.

• Ron Knee

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:11 PM

• GeordieTwo

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:12 PM

What is Charnley doing in that position? He has no clue about football as anyone can clearly see. Does he understand what a state the squad is in? I doubt it. Has he ever played football at any level? I doubt it. Perfect for Ashley then. Fits right in.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:12 PM

Scottoon.
    See my reply to Pokat.

Never said supporting the Toon is a birthright. But there is immense pride in being a Geordie and supporting your local club.

If you have never lived here, you can have pride in where you come from and you can support your local club. If you don’t support your local club,that’s fine by me. I welcome supporters from all over the world. The more the better. But it doesn’t mean you’ll ever have the same perspective as a Geordie.

• MrMojoRisin76

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:12 PM

His search engine is broke.

• welshgeordie9

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:13 PM

Some people have been saying we will be safe because we will have key players back from injuries and suspensions, but that’s going to be a waste of time if we concede more than we score in a match, like against swans for example.

• welshgeordie9

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:14 PM

I’ve got one person in mind.

• GeordieTwo

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:14 PM

Yes, we got thumped nicely Ron Knee mate. Building toward the future I see. Beautiful.

• BoyDoneGood

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:14 PM

Geordie 2 and Scottoon

Exactly right. As I said, we don’t have the style to play like Everton. Blame Cissé to an extent, obviously. And why was Ferreyra never tried – big lad? But the long ball has its place in counter-attacking football. Rivière… Carver doesn’t leave enough support – or it’s too slow to arrive – when playing the long ball out of defence. The more players in the box, the more chance you have of scoring. So, agreed, shite footballl; but their are some potentially very good players in there who are sadly mismanaged.

• welshgeordie9

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:16 PM

BandB

How would I know where he is, if I knew that I wouldn’t be bloody asking now would i.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:18 PM

fan 2 (f?n)
    n.
    An ardent devotee; an enthusiast.
    [Short for fanatic.]

fa·nat·ic (f?-n?t??k)
    n.
    A person marked or motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause.

cus·tom·er (k?s?t?-m?r)
    n.
    1. One that buys goods or services, as from a store or business.

Do we see the difference?

I repeat.

Is this not where the issue is being missed?

ST holders are too saying these things. They’ve had enough, they don’t want to and wont stand for anymore?

We also have fans who aren’t from the area who disagree with my view that action should be taken.

The opinion split is not about ST holders and armchair fans. That needs to die a death as it just causes problems that don’t really exist.

Keep taking exception to “armchair” fans views though.

HWTF. All of them.

• BoyDoneGood

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:19 PM

Ah, Welshie, at last the mystery of how football matches are lost is analysed definitively: if you concede more goals than you score, you lose… Thanks for pointing that out.

• GeordieTwo

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:20 PM

Based on reserve team and U-18 results this year it definitely looks like Middlesbrough has a future. Our U-18s are in 9th place. Really building with youth nicely I see Mike. Still the Reserves are 4th in their division but again with Middlesbrough far above them.

• BandB

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:20 PM

welshie,

Well you might be asking to give yourself the opportunity to point the finger at people, which you have wasted no time in doing.

Get it off your chest. Who do you have in mind?

• BoyDoneGood

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:21 PM

…and I didn’t say we needed the returning players to stay up. 35 will suffice.

• GeordieTwo

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:22 PM

Yes welshie loves to get right to the heart of the mystery BoyDoneGood. People have been working on that one for years but welshie solves it in seconds. Beautiful.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:22 PM

Mojo
    I’m not sticking up for Ashley. I’m sticking up for the truth. Painting ashley as the anti-christ undermines any valid criticisms. That’s not good for the club.

• GeordieTwo

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:24 PM

I love to get back to our magnificent defense. 57 goals conceded so far. Splendid. Really quite splendid. That’s not even 2 goals a game! We must take immense pride in that. Keeping it below 2 goals a game conceded I mean. You must be so proud Charnley and Ashley.

• GeordieTwo

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:25 PM

He’s not the anti-Christ Blackley mate. He’s The Thing In Satan’s Underpants. I’ve been quite clear on that for some time now. Harrumph.

• GeordieTwo

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:26 PM

Mike Ashley, TTISU! Beautiful acronym that. Sounds like somebody sneezed.

• welshgeordie9

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:29 PM

BoyDoneGood

That’s alright mate, happy to help.

Ha ha ha

• Blackley and Brownlie

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:30 PM

Mojo
    Whoever runs the club is going to have difficulties in meeting the fans aspirations and expectations. Even a fans committee running the club. Ashley is facing this problem. The club can’t just borrow to buy players and managers. It has to be prudent and make money, not least to service and pay down its already substantial debt.

• mactoon

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:31 PM

from the same people who were alegedly legally proven as liars by the Keegan court case where he was awarded 2 million pounds?

• stan anderson

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:32 PM

I used to never miss a home game and went to most away till i saw the light.People get enough of even a good thing.

• stuart no9

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:57 PM

ashley can argue as mujch as he wants about what he brings to the club , the fact is, the media. the fans – not just us but football fans up and down the country, the press , football experts , ex legends and generally the football world KNOW what he is and what he stands for. that is enough for me . no arguement. Regarding the poll , i voted for us to gvo down – the same as i predicted in august.