Will Newcastle Go Down This Season – Poll

We’ve been resisting putting this poll out for a while now, hoping that Newcastle can get the one win we need to stay up in the Premier League, but we’ve been waiting for almost two months now since we last won against Aston Villa at the end of February, and Newcastle have had seven successive defeats in that time – the worst run since back in 1978 and the worst run ever in the Premier League.

nufc emblem

Newcastle are now genuine relegation candidates and the betting has gone from 250-1 to 20-1 over our last three games – so the threat is now very real.

We don’t subscribe to the view that relegation would be a good thing, and in fact it will hit the club a lot harder and be more harmful than the last time we went down a short six years ago.

There will be many players wanting to leave in the summer – even if we stay up – because Newcastle is no longer a proper football club that wants to be successful and win things –  and the players know that.

And it’s not good for those of us fans spread around the world away from the homeland, because we will not get the Newcastle games on TV – with the Premier League being the biggest league in the world – but the Championship is nowhere to be seen in the US.

It wouldn’t be good for the ex-pats if we are relegated – in fact it would be a complete and unmitigated disaster.

Will Newcastle Be Relegated This Season?

Loading ... Loading ...

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:37 AM

Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 28, 2015 at 8:37 AM

OP,
    Doesn’t surprise me in the slightest – on either count. I did read that JC was going to meet with the two fans he argued with though. Would love to be a fly on the wall at that.

“So John, how have you used your time to improve the transitional phases between defence and attack which are now considered key aspects of the modern game?”

“Errr, could you spell transi…whatitsface for me please?”

Anybody got a dictaphone that they could lend to record the whole thing?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:40 AM

It is a sad day when we are hoping for and rushing back a player who is Championship standard to come in and help shore up our defence.

• firebug666

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:40 AM

Why is there no “not sure” option?

I voted no, I think we will survive by the skin of our teeth, and a lucky win would make us safe.

This does not detract from the campaign to get rid of the fat man, I will always support anything aimed at getting Ashley and his regime out of our club.

• optimistic prime

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:43 AM

Lg

I’d love to be one of the fans.

For me Colo and Sissoko should be no where near the team. Short of wearing a Sunderland top they’ve done everything else possible to disespect the club fans and team mates.

Letting them two captain the side is disgusting, they’d have been sent away months ago and told to find a new club if I was HC

• optimistic prime

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:45 AM

I voted yes, can’t see the players or JC having the fight required to get another point.

Hope they prove me wrong but I wouldn’t bet on it.

• microbar

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:45 AM

Sad to say this, but it could all be a gamble that is going to blow up in the fat mans face.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:46 AM

As an overseas fan, I get the desire to want to be able to feel connected and watch the toon on TV or via streams.

I get the championship makes it harder, as there are less options available, although,there are some.

My main point is, what is the current obsession with fans about PL football? Of course, it is the pinnacle, the top English league, where the best of the best compete, right?

We don’t compete in the league or on the pitch.

I want the club to refocus, sort out it’s values, give us something to be proud of.

I want the club in the PL. That is not what defines our club though. I don’t want us relegated to be clear, I don’t however believe we should be using the threat of relegation as an excuse to curb our efforts at dealing with the fundamental issue at Newcastle United.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:47 AM

OP,
    Yeah, I’d happily not see Sissoko pull on a Newcastle shirt again. Same goes for Colo, particularly after recently saying again that he wanted out. Same day as he said he was trying to get back into the Argentina squad. What on earth had he been smoking???

• beermonkey

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:49 AM

there is not enough time in a day for carver to sit down with fans and explain just the basics that are wrong with our team
    its going to be the 2nd time since we finished 5th we will escape relegation not because we will win but due to others not taking there chances

• Ibizatoon

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:50 AM

On the 2 lads going to meet Carver this week. DId I read it was on Friday? Why wait until the end of the week?

Just like the sponsors last week, I’m sure these 2 will be blown away with our training sessions and JC’s methods and will too be left scratching their heads as to why we’re so poor at the games.

Do you think they set Friday, so Carver has a few days to train the players how to train?

• mecannylad

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:51 AM

So Mike Ashley’s modus operandi is ‘just keep it barely legal but sod any guidelines’
    Surely whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
    Lets up our game lads.
    HWTF.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:52 AM

Ibiza,
    I get that, if Ashley doesn’t leave anytime soon I’d be fairly happy getting behind a fans movement to start a new club from scratch – a la FC United and AFC Wimbledon. It is about the football for me, I’d never be able to watch, apart from on my visits home, but air would be preferable to watching a soulless and gutless impersonation of the club I grew up loving.

For me the issue isn’t relegation, it is that I don’t see how Ashley leaves if we do go down. Value plummets, and Ashley will want his money back for the loan and for the club. He won’t get that their so we will be further stripped as Ashley takes the parachute payment cash for 3 or 4 years, however long it is until he has got his loan back and can sell the club at a reasonable price.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:53 AM

Ibiza,

For me the issue isn’t relegation, it is that I don’t see how Ashley leaves if we do go down. Value plummets, and Ashley will want his money back for the loan and for the club. He won’t get that there so we will be further stripped as Ashley takes the parachute payment cash for 3 or 4 years, however long it is until he has got his loan back and can sell the club at a reasonable price.

For me, relegation would just prolong Ashley’s stay. Staying in the Prem is the only way that Ashley will be offered enough money to make it worthwhile him selling.

• Santon03

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:53 AM

if relegated teams are 4 instead 3 then we will go down. we will stay up but based on form we don’t deserve it.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:53 AM

Ignore 12, it told me it hadn’t posted so I added a bit more and reposted!!!

• hibbit

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:55 AM

if and its a big IF we go down it could take years to get back up we dont have the players who would be up for the fight no barton or nolan and no pride in the shirt with most of the squad

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:55 AM

Microbar,
    I have been saying for years now that he is quite prepared to gamble on our demise but not on our success. I have heard people say that Cisse was bought to push for CL. Bollox, he was bought because he was nearly half the price he was when we were first interested. If there had of been a genuine push for success they wouldn’t have gambled on our only two CBs staying fit. What stopoed a feeling of despair that year was Cisses arrival and promises of being strengthened in the summer. We all know what has followed.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:59 AM

Lil…There are lots of theories about relegation and whether it would be enough to see the back of Ashley. I’m not so sure, I am back on the fence with that one 🙂

He will want his money back , but at some stage, in any business, you get to a point where you’re throwing good money after bad.

But who knows? All I do know, is I cannot continue to give my backing / support to that man and his way of running our club. Something does need to be done, without a doubt.

Fan ownership is an interesting one, a subject I’m getting a lot more read up on, but still lack a good / detailed understanding.

Personally, I would rather try and find a way to get this club back.

If it was fan owned, could you not film and broadcast our own games to club “members” or something via the internet? Maybe not live? Something to be looked at perhaps.

• GEORDIE69

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:03 AM

Surely the Newcastle management don’t think that either Haidara or Dummett if Italian would be good enough to get in the Italian squad like Santon. Obviously letting Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa go was a good idea as Williamson and S Taylor would easily make the French squad if French. Hahahahahahahahahah Toooooooooooon

• mecannylad

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:10 AM

Don’t expect any meaningful feedback coming from the two lads when they meet up with Carver on Friday.
    They will unwittingly sign a small print confidentiality agreement as part of the visitor’s process into accessing Darsley Park…. and if they ‘spout off’ then their season tickets will be cancelled by the club.

• Toon_Army

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:23 AM

We deserve to be Relegated its that simple, I can bearly bring myself to watch this team anymore, like it or not Pardew was keeping the stitching of the team in place and he is a decent manager (probably above average IMO) but Carver even though I luv the fella looks out of sorts and confused, the ship has no captain and it’s steering ever closer to the iceberg. The sooner the club is sold to an owner with a soul the better, but I can’t see ash letting go of his money horse just yet, no doublt if we get relegated he will try to sell but then ofc no one will want it…